Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options

Comments

¨I am afraid of getting older. I am afraid of getting married....Spare me from the relentless cage of routine and rote. I want to be free.... I want, I want to think,to be omniscient.

Slyvia Plath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Better late than never!

Better late than pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stove

Pressure is when your wife, mortgage and mistress are all late!

Neil Francis on Indo rugby article a few years ago

Everything will be ok in the end, and if it's not ok it's not the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

its a long one but a great one:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt (from citizenship in a republic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Everybody's a gangster till a gangster walks in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

Shelflife wrote: »
    Any change, any loss, does not make us victims. Others can shake you, surprise you, disappoint you, but they can't prevent you from acting, from taking the situation you're presented with and moving on. No matter where you are in life, no matter what your situation, you can always do something. You always have a choice and the choice can be power.

Blaine Lee

More of an essay than a quote ( you don't pull the wool over my eyes ðŸ‘ðŸ¿

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭fcastle

Calogero: "Sonny was right. The workin man is a...is a sucka dad, he's a sucka."

Lorenzo: "He's wrong, it don't take much strength to pull the trigger but try and get up every morning day after day and work for a livin, let's see him try that. Then we'll see who's the real tough guy, the working man is the tough guy."

- A Bronx Tale (1993)

Video

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I paid a quid for these underpants and I've got about 50 pence worth stuck up me arse. - Jim Royle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

If you can't lift 'em, don't shift 'em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

alta stare wrote: »
    When any of my kids had a fall id always say to them When soldiers fall they stand tall.

When pulling a plaster off a child or if they're getting injections.

"Just say ow and it's over"

~ Bear (in the big blue house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

"Nobody puts baby in a corner"

Dirty Dancing 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

Samuel Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

“Never look another man In the eye whilst eating a banana “

Unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Not my circus, not my monkey. Polish I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

Seems to be contributed to Helen Keller, which is interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

What a beautiful ****in' day - Gerry Boyle, cop shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Teddy Roosevelt.

It's particularly apt for today's world of paralysis by analysis, classic 'hurler on the ditch' syndrome.

But it's also something that you can apply to your own job too, when you're getting questioned by some jobsworth looking at you Internal Audit!

-EDIT- Damn it's also a page back, doesn't matter, still a great quote.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

A long one but:

This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.
    "A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on.
    "Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on
    "Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'

From the West Wing. No idea if they robbed it off someone else before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this."

From Don Quixote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Everything in moderation, including moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The Batman and Justice League animated series' had some great writing. Compared to the animated series of the 80's which were just there to sell toys, these were actually there to tell a story (.... and sell toys).

In one of the last episodes of Justice League we see Amanda Waller, a semi-regular who had a confrontational relationship with Batman and The Justice League. A government agent who didn't trust them but relied on them from time to time. We see her commenting on her relationship with them:

"You know, the Lord's been a great comfort to me all these years. Try not to look so surprised. Yeah, I've got a lot to answer for when I meet him, but I'd like to believe that for all the harm I've caused, I've also done some good. Maybe the angels need a sharp sword too."

And from Batman animated series. We see the eventual fall from grace of Harvey Dent to Two-Face. Fantastically, Harvey was in the series for many episodes previously as Bruce Wayne's closest friend without ever mentioning what was going to happen to him. Eventually you see him begin to lose control and you see a mob boss noticing it and paraphrasing Jung: "All men have something to hide. The brighter the picture, the darker the negative."

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

"It is better to have known that you lost than never to have known that you won"

Love that one !! Del boy only fools

"If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we could not."
    Lyall Watson/ Emerson M. Pugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

The last words from the Wonder Years:
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house, like a lot of houses. A yard like a lot of other yards. On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back ... with wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” ― Mark Twain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Batman and Justice League animated series' had some great writing. Compared to the animated series of the 80's which were just there to sell toys, these were actually there to tell a story (.... and sell toys).

In one of the last episodes of Justice League we see Amanda Waller, a semi-regular who had a confrontational relationship with Batman and The Justice League. A government agent who didn't trust them but relied on them from time to time. We see her commenting on her relationship with them:

"You know, the Lord's been a great comfort to me all these years. Try not to look so surprised. Yeah, I've got a lot to answer for when I meet him, but I'd like to believe that for all the harm I've caused, I've also done some good. Maybe the angels need a sharp sword too."

And from Batman animated series. We see the eventual fall from grace of Harvey Dent to Two-Face. Fantastically, Harvey was in the series for many episodes previously as Bruce Wayne's closest friend without ever mentioning what was going to happen to him. Eventually you see him begin to lose control and you see a mob boss noticing it and paraphrasing Jung: "All men have something to hide. The brighter the picture, the darker the negative."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/shakespeare-or-batman-that-is-the-question/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked cos I believed it myself- Saul Goodman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Alexander Graham Bell

“When one door closes another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AIRMiNet

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank balance was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove . . . but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child.

Kathy Davis

Advertisement