We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

Comments

the zandalari and kil tirian can be unlocked come Tuesday i believe

Not Tuesday, it's Tuesday US and Weds Europe.

Some nice things coming brawlers guild, a nice new Hunter only quest and the new miniraid open soon .

Also currently their is a rep buff bonus till the update so you get like double the rep to help hit those cap's required.

I had said I'd probably return when the Zandalari Paladins are available but I actually don't think I will. I've had zero draw towards the game at all this year.
    I'll wait and see what people are saying about whatever number they're up to now on the patches. Will see in a month or so.
    The Division will keep me occupied until then.

yea i subbed with gold, and the game is dead like i dont think i ever seen it so empty before. And i feel like they have added nothing at all since i left, i mean they added some raids but besides that the game just dead it's weird, the quest lines i read about were really short when i actually played them. Playing on and off since vanila and usually you always have some thing to do but it's just weird to see wow like this.

I played a bit over the last few days, and the world definitely seems more dead then it has in a long while. Seems to have had a mass exodus in the last few months, which isn't surprising. They'll probably all come back for whatever the next expansion is though.

Kiith wrote: »
    I played a bit over the last few days, and the world definitely seems more dead then it has in a long while. Seems to have had a mass exodus in the last few months, which isn't surprising. They'll probably all come back for whatever the next expansion is though.

If they keep moving towards making the game more like a mobile game nobody will come back.

Classic will have people back in the summer. Including myself... at least for a while until we realise how much of a $hit show it was levelling unarmed skill in Scarlet Monastery was again :pac:

Running to dead mines i will never forget.

I think everyone just wants to recapture that feeling that we got when playing classic, without realising that classic was an absolute mess by today's standards. That feeling isn't coming back, as most of us are 15 years older now. I'll never forget that first deadmines visit...it was absolutely amazing walking through that door and seeing the ship. But that won't happen in Classic.

Most people will play it for a month or two, and then leave.

The only way I'd play classic seriously is if they linked the old achievements and transmog to your live account otherwise I couldn't be arsed.

I don't even like the look of the old toons now.

Can't wait to get to around lvl45 with my Ret Paladin, and then re-roll another class because of how awful it is.

well i for one am enjoying my new druid even tho i have one already this is the first time i am enjoying boomkin because i dont like like a fat ass owl dude thing.
    Havent done any of the new stuff on my main yet, think il just keep on going with my new druid.

I'd love to level a Kul Tiran or Zandalari druid, but since i haven't been playing, it'd take me weeks to do the rep grind to unlock them, so **** that. Such an idiotic decision.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love to level a Kul Tiran or Zandalari druid, but since i haven't been playing, it'd take me weeks to do the rep grind to unlock them, so **** that. Such an idiotic decision.

You can't roll the new classes unless you've certainly rep? That's outrageous.
    Like I have for the last two xpacs, I'll resub for classic and will quit again after a month or two. I just don't have the time to dedicate to wow anymore.

Yeah, all the Allied Races are locked behind a rep grind. Zandalari and Kul Tiran are both locked behind an exalted rep grind, plus some story quests.

I wouldn't mind the rep grinds if you could unlock the race and just race change but the force 110 grind fir the gear is stupid.

I wouldn't mind the rep grinds if you could unlock the race and just race change but the force 110 grind fir the gear is stupid.

So long as you unlock the race on one character, all other characters (if eligible) can be race-changed to that race. I've had Nightfallen, Mag'Har and now Zandalari and the only one I wanted heritage armor for were Mag'Har, so I levelled one of those up but didn't bother with Nightfallen - and certainly won't with Zandalari (all that gold is already a bit cliche when you originally intended to just be a ZandaPalla).

I've changed my Paladin, Warrior and Shaman to Zandalari (my War was exalted with them long ago), the other two haven't even done a sniff of the main campaigns or war campaigns, nevermind ground rep. You are only 'forced' to level to 110 as that race if you want their heritage armour, which makes sense. Furthermore, it is all Blizzards way of keeping people playing, but isn't too obnoxious to achieve. I did it for my Mag'Har Heritage Armor and race-changed one other at the time. I could change them all back to Nightfallen if I wanted.

We're in the age of contracts, tabards and daily-quest rep grinds. It is infinitely easier now than it was back in my day of fighting for respawns behind Light's Hope Chapel trying to get rep for the likes of Argent Dawn in Vanilla. Levelling from 1 to 120 is also pretty piss at the moment thanks to heirlooms. You want it? Gotta earn it :)

On that note, yeah, I'm one of those who had no reason to play WoW until the email popped up mentioning the new races were out. I logged in thinking I'd be around for a day or two but ended up doing so much stuff that I've gotten all three chars (War, Pal, Shammy) up to or beyond 375, and I'm tempted to do some Mythics on my Shaman (rather Heal them than tank them, despite two of my main chars being tanks).

RopeDrink wrote: »
    So long as you unlock the race on one character, all other characters (if eligible) can be race-changed to that race. I've had Nightfallen, Mag'Har and now Zandalari and the only one I wanted heritage armor for were Mag'Har, so I levelled one of those up but didn't bother with Nightfallen - and certainly won't with Zandalari (all that gold is already a bit cliche when you originally intended to just be a ZandaPalla).

I've changed my Paladin, Warrior and Shaman to Zandalari (my War was exalted with them long ago), the other two haven't even done a sniff of the main campaigns or war campaigns, nevermind ground rep. You are only 'forced' to level to 110 as that race if you want their heritage armour, which makes sense. Furthermore, it is all Blizzards way of keeping people playing, but isn't too obnoxious to achieve. I did it for my Mag'Har Heritage Armor and race-changed one other at the time. I could change them all back to Nightfallen if I wanted.

I know how the system works quite well as i have race changed more times than my wallet would be happy with. I don't personally have a problem with either the rep requirements to unlock the toon or the level requirements for the gear. I do have a problem with both.

I have played this game long enough to have 2x every class in the game, i currently have 4 120's and at least 7 110's. So i just dont get why i should have to level a throwaway character to 110 just so i can get a set of armor.

The dwarves and the belfs had no such gating system bar exalted reputation with their cities. If i could farm reputation on my main for this i would have.

I have no problem with either, nor the combination. Getting the race is a reward in itself, as is the heritage armor - they have little reason to merge them as a business which has spent its entirety trying to figure out ways to keep people playing as much as possible. At the end of the day, Allied Race is one thing, Heritage is another - and neither can be compared to achieving heritage armor on races that have existed since Vanilla/TBC. Anyone who has liked X or Y race that much would likely already meet the requirements before their heritage armor was even a thing and/or know by now that if they want to plan ahead for any future ones, all they have to do is get MCity-Exalted.
    The dwarves and the belfs had no such gating system bar exalted reputation with their cities. If i could farm reputation on my main for this i would have.

It is no different to the task required to unlock a new race. It only seems obnoxious when you view both rewards as something that should have been unified (which it shouldn't be) and/or when looking at the workload from scratch. Core-race heritage armor is as easy as throwing on a Tabard and doing whatever dungeons you like. If it's a race you've played a lot of (eg. my old BE Paladin in TBC) then you're likely already Revered at the very least, so getting Exalted is as simple as an hour farming Mechanar with the Tabard on and completing the follow-up quest-chain. The reward comes quick to those who have played said race quite a lot, as it should be (just like dedicating time to an Allied Race, ie. levelling it, rewards you at the end). The only reason the requirements aren't identical is they use the same format to unlock that Race in the first-place [getting X to exalted and doing a quest-chain], hence their heritage armour has a different requirement than the core-races.

EDIT:
    On a slightly related note...
    If you're swapping to (or levelling) a Shaman and/or Zandalari or Kul'Tiran, be careful - KT Males have a Stormstrike Bug and ZandaFemales have a Lava Burst issue. Had to get a refund for my Shaman (went back to Mag'Har) as it was impeding combat/enjoyment.

Well not everyone is oldschool and hard core as you are :P, even back in the day during CS you always liked your niches.

My point however is the redundancy of it all because i just got the maghar armour and now i have a 3rd hunter that i do nothing with.

I am the type of player that mains one character, i have weapon and skins unlocked on my main you cannot get anymore.

The current system is flawed in that it doesn't cater for people who race change. I don't mind having a challenge in place to do it, like the mage tower ect. Locking it behind a 20-110 grind is the laziest way to do it.

I have quit the game after playing constantly since the US beta,The game feels dead and for me BFA utterly failed to keep me interested,end of an era

The current system is flawed in that it doesn't cater for people who race change.

Why would it cater to people who buy a race change? You're paying to be that race, not for cosmetics rewards associated with that race. It'd be like saying that you should be given a mount just because you paid a mount-training fee when they are two different things entirely.

Again, this type of mentality only flies if you view the Heritage + Race itself as something that should be singular. I don't view it that way at all - they are completely separate rewards and thus have separate requirements. There's no reason to think why buying a race change would give you both the race itself AND the heritage armor. Another reason it is the way it is is because unlocking said armour does so account wide, hence giving it on race-change is a bit too much. I levelled one Mag'Har to max and as a reward I can use that set on any Mag'har in future, be it one's I've levelled or any character I race-change with. This is not equivalent to unlocking the race itself as they are two different rewards/processes.
    Well not everyone is oldschool and hard core as you are , even back in the day during CS you always liked your niches.

It is also not a matter of being niche, just business mind, spliced with understanding just how difficult the game and its requirements used to be in the past back when they would have you going through veritable hell to achieve even minor things, whereas now the hardest thing you might have to do for certain rewards is level a measly reputation or level a character (both of which have been drastically eased by the presence of tabards, contracts, daily quests [rep], and heirlooms, XP buffs and consumables [levelling].

Head on over to the WoW forums and the situation is the same - those who had done the work passively saying it's not that bad, vs those looking at the workload for the first time and saying how unfair it is (when it really isn't). Core-race heritage will be piss for those who have already played them extensively. Unlocking new races will be piss to those who simply played a variable amount of time during this expansion. Achieving allied-race heritage armor will be done in a few days if you really, REALLY want it - but at the end of the day it is merely a cosmetic reward, thus not mandatory. You can still race-change and forget that heritage armor entirely, like I will be doing on my Zandalari's. Ultimately, they are two different rewards with their own requirements, with no logical or business reason why they should be unified just for buying a race-change. You can call me niche, but it'd be even more niche if Joe Soap who can't (or doesn't want to) buy a Race Change has to do X process whilst Joe Blogg's can get it by opening their wallet - that'll lead to a completely different discussion with its own negative implications, especially as unlocking heritage armor = account wide.

As i said thats where we disagree, a big part of the new races is the cool armor that you get with them. My problem with it is that the unlocking mechanism is behind a 20-110 grind which is just blizzard being lazy when they could have made it a challenge if they wanted by other means.

If you like it as is good for you but you are by no means the authority on it, nor am I. I have also just finished leveling a character to 110 so i could get some armor and i still disagree with the system.

I now have an extra hunter that i will never play again. Where as had something challenging been in place on my main to do it, then it would have been much more meaningful. Like your telling me the blizzard that gave us the mage tower couldn't introduce some sort of hard scaling trial to proove your worth to your race.

Also there is precedence for what i am saying, once you unlocked the challenge mode sets in WOD and MOP you could use them account bound for classes that could use them.

Unlocking races is bull****, a quest line fine np I got all the horde and most of the alliance anyway but it's still bull****. Unlocking a new hero class that would be a good way to go about it.

Quite topical actually as allot of accounts including a guy from Method and Preach have been banned for 30 days for exploiting the stacking of the exp potion you can get from warfront vendors.

Had i known about it would i have done it? then answer is yes as in my mind forced leveling in a game that is as old as wow is ridiculous

Calhoun wrote: »
    Quite topical actually as allot of accounts including a guy from Method and Preach have been banned for 30 days for exploiting the stacking of the exp potion you can get from warfront vendors.

Had i known about it would i have done it? then answer is yes as in my mind forced leveling in a game that is as old as wow is ridiculous

I was watching the Heel Vs Babyface vid on it, it literally only affects levelling and they go after 2 of the more high profile players, way to drive people away from your game.

you are by no means the authority on it

I don't get the need for authoritarian comments. I also don't get why you brought up a personal opinion about me earlier just because I used Shotguns in Counter-Strike 1.6 as a teenager two decades ago. To have any authority we'd need a WoW-Blizzard employee/developer in here chiming in on these opinions :)
    If you like it as is good for you but...

...But at no point did I say I liked it... I said I understand why it is the way it is.
    I also notice that those who claim to dislike it do so because it involves a grind, something WoW used to force down everyone's throat in earlier iterations. Even now in the recent Q&A, after all these years softening up every single grind in the game since late-TBC, they claim they still want to devise methods that "Make everyone happy without being automatic loot". It's just the age of WoW these days - everything handed on a plate. Old WoW conditioned you to expect difficulty, new WoW is conditioning people to expect little to no work for relevant rewards. In the face of how it used to be, levelling a character in this day and age is laughably easy. I'd understand your discontent if it was levelling in CLASSIC WoW. Now that would have been punishment for a race-specific reward.

Those who don't mind a grind don't seem to care, because it doesn't take long. The alternatives almost everyone else suggested here and in the WoW forums are all short-cuts to a cosmetic reward of above-average quality/relevance to a whole race, whereas levelling one of those races from the ground up makes actual logical sense from a business and requirement perspective. I have no doubt it'll be cut short in the future somehow, but for now, I'm not saying I like it, I'm not saying I dislike it, I'm saying it is pretty much exactly as it should be (in my 'not an authority on anything' opinion). Race specific armour = race specific level. Doesn't matter that you levelled a class you already have. I've levelled three Shaman in the past - had the urge to level another one, so two-birds-one-stone by levelling a Mag'Har. Voila, armor for my race-swapped Warrior thanks to the Shaman, done in a few days -- LESS time than it took to reach Honorbound to actually unlock the class in the first place.

You can agree to disagree if you please. Reaching an impasse doesn't have to go in a circle or get testy.
    I was watching the Heel Vs Babyface vid on it, it literally only affects levelling and they go after 2 of the more high profile players, way to drive people away from your game.

A lot of players who used that (by accident and willingly) were banned for at least two days, some thirty. It's unfair to say they 'targeted' specific people as those of a high profile and/or of a YouTube persuasion will be the first potential people to get a discontent voice heard by many people and sound like they were the first. They would also be expected to be more of an example for others via exposure. It'd be interesting if high-profile players and/or content creators were given two day bans and those without any voice/exposure/profile were given thirty. I could taste the tears from here.

Well i was mainly pointing out that we both just had opinions and neither is right or wrong. Up to you if you want to be offended how i said it but was not what i was trying to say.

My usage of your liking niches was just that as you used to always play shotgun and if i remember correctly you play a prot warrior in pvp which is a very niche class to play at it with the exception of wpvp and rbgs. You seem to have an affinity for more challenging and skill base classes, because i would be really bad at getting the best out of a prot warrior in pvp. That is a perspective that not all players hold, especially as the game has moved more and more into the casual realms.

The game was different in the past and most can understand that distinction that the grind was linked to RPG progression. Forcing players to go from 20-110 on what more than likely will be a duplicate character is just a lazy way of going about it there is nothing difficult. I used full set of heirloom gear and azeroth autopilot and had it done in about a week on and off. I didnt need to follow any quests as i have lore master on my main for all zones and have done the zones countless times even the reskinned cata zones.

As i said thats were we will disagree because i think the leveling 20-110 is a poor vehicle to deliver the gear but what can i expect from the expansion that is possibly worse than WOD.

Up to you if you want to be offended

As said, 'I don't get it, nor see the need for it'. This does not equal being offended, I'm just calling out the comments as utterly irrelevant to the topic and/or why my opinion is the way it is.
    My usage of your liking niches was just that as you used to always play shotgun

Me as a teenager using a shotgun in a shooter game (a genre I've barely played since) has quite literally no relevance to my 'pushing-forty' opinion about some MMORPG system decades later. It certainly isn't a testament to any of my personal facets or how I think about the inner-working of games, requirements, or dev decisions. It'd be like me judging you as a person because you ate an apple 20 years ago and me using that as ammo because you decided to post a contrary opinion about oranges elsewhere - it only serves to make things more personal despite being completely different topics.
    and if i remember correctly you play a prot warrior in pvp which is a very niche class to play at it with the exception of wpvp and rbgs.

Nothing niche about it. PWar was very, very strong in Legion, and even casual BG's have a place for protection classes. Then there was also the fact that other War specs were only viable in extreme top-end group PvP with co-ordination, not something you'd get when playing solo or pugging. Even now in 8.1 and beyond, Protection Paladins are entirely viable for 2v2 and 3v3 arena. Head over to the WoW forums and you'll see threads wondering why Arms Warriors were barely represented in the latest WoW PvP tournies. It's not like I was wading into ranked PvP and trying to break the meta. You're talking to someone who has played tonnes of classes/characters in PvP and PvE throughout the years and has dabbled as much as they cared to, and at one point just so happened to be Protection and just happened to use it in casual PvP. How this has any bearing on my opinion about heritage armour is beyond me.

Rogue in Vanilla + TBC (PvP & PvE)
    Shadow Priest in TBC to MoP (PvP & PvE) + Disc in Cata to Legion (arena).
    Protection Paladin in TBC to the present (PvP & PvE)
    Protection Warrior in TBC to the present (PvP & PvE)
    Enhance & Restoration Shaman in WotLK to the present (PvP & PvE, Arena).
    Have played two mages (raiding), one warlock (casual raiding), two other shaman, retribution paladin, discipline priest, arms, fury, and many other specs. The only classes I actively avoided all these years are DK, DH and Monk. I've played everything else in some shape or form over the years.
    Forcing players

Where's the force? It's a purely cosmetic reward nobody needs, just wants. Compare it to the requirements for, say, unlocking flying mounts in WoD or Legion - an actual advantageous luxury with weird requirements. You don't need heritage armour to play as that race, and 90% of people who this effects will mostly just want the race itself. It having its own unique moggable fashion option is nice and all, but not necessary, and the requirements for unlocking it make sense - but as said, no doubt it'll be cut short in time.

The only reason I refer to the past so much is that Blizzard are not only trying to recapture the magic of old WoW (when it was at its most popular, even releasing Classic for those with rose-tinted glasses), but also confirm in their own Q&A's that they want to continue this casual downslope of making everything 'fun and easy without it being automatic loot', whilst simultaneously wondering why people are calling the game soulless or why people much preferred old WoW. Simple - because you earned you stuff and felt accomplished for doing so, without it boiling down into "Did you log in and do your daily quests this week, yes/no?".

As mentioned already, we can happily agree to disagree and leave it there - but rest assured, my opinion has literally nothing to do with how I played X game in the past or how I play WoW in the present.

Society & Culture