Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Subforum / Pen & Paper RPG Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sorry, had a rough last week and weekend, had to deprioritise this. Far as I know both sKeith and Nebelwerfer are otherwise engaged this week, that's 40% of the playerbase, so I'm not sure it's fair to start. If anyone's officially pulling out in a way that affects those percentages, let me know!
    (This is going to be such an anticlimax when/if it runs! Chinese Democracy eat your heart out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    Sorry, had a rough last week and weekend, had to deprioritise this.
    You liar, you've been off writing supplements:
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/239824/Baby-Bestiary-5e-Beast-Companion?src=fp_u5

You think it's easy coming up with an authentic stat block and lair powers for a Roc Chick? It was rougher than Kerry Katona-branded Sand paper on a day the Swift won't sail!
    Actually, that's not far off the truth - the amount of useless background detail I've been chasing down instead of focussing on things actually needed for a functioning module is unreal :D How do you avoid diving into unnecessary rabbit-holes?

How do you avoid diving into unnecessary rabbit-holes?
    Rabbit-holes can be either setting details or "possibilities" in adventures usually, so do you mean:

Resisting continuous fleshing out of the setting?

Or how do you run with a setting that isn't fleshed out entirely without it being noticeable?

Or how do you plan for any contingency in an adventure/dungeon crawl?

Yes!

(I'm doing a) in an attempt to do c) but really, we're going to end up at b) because no one is going to ask about the detailing on that vase that has 3 pages of backstory and a side plot about the wife of the guy who glazed it running off with a centaur 3000 years ago, just in case, you know, one of the heroes can time travel... especially when they just want to know how much damage that vase did when they hit <REDACTED> over the head with it)

Wait.... My Squirrel-Sense is tingling... can other people see this post?

Smokebomb!
    RewardingFewDonkey-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Who can time travel?

It's not real! You don't have to be jealous of other players! But... I rolled 10 D100s for you just in case and the news isn't good...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Im not jealous! I just want that person on side so i dont get ret-conned.

Everyone has the power to Ret-Con, subject to GM approval, if they have Advantage.
    It's why Batman just happened to have Bat-Shark-Repellent in his helicopter that day, or Bobby Ewing got into that shower, or Hilary lost the election. Sometimes when something is both highly unlikely and highly convenient, convenient has to win for the sake of fun.
    The best example I can think of is the Bill and Ted Keys-Causality loop

The key thing is that it requires GM approval, so if the Ret-Con involves Pter's character dying ... oh wait, I see why you're worried. And you're right!

Vampire the Masquerade humble bundle!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-the-masquerade-rpg-books

Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition
    Guide to the Camarilla
    Alien Hunger
    The Hunters Hunted
    Time of Thin Blood
    Counsel of Primogen

London By Night
    Guide to the Sabbat
    Children of the Inquisition
    The Inquisition
    Children of the Night
    Nights of Prophecy

Clan Novel Saga Vol. 1: The Fall of Atlanta
    Guide to the Anarchs
    Storyteller's Handbook Revised
    Sins of the Blood
    Havens of the Damned
    Succubus Club: Dead Man's Party
    Ghouls: Fatal Addiction

Plus 3 months sub access to Worlds of Darkness and a movie about a goat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Vampire the Masquerade humble bundle!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-the-masquerade-rpg-books

Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition
    Guide to the Camarilla
    Alien Hunger
    The Hunters Hunted
    Time of Thin Blood
    Counsel of Primogen

London By Night
    Guide to the Sabbat
    Children of the Inquisition
    The Inquisition
    Children of the Night
    Nights of Prophecy

Clan Novel Saga Vol. 1: The Fall of Atlanta
    Guide to the Anarchs
    Storyteller's Handbook Revised
    Sins of the Blood
    Havens of the Damned
    Succubus Club: Dead Man's Party
    Ghouls: Fatal Addiction

Plus 3 months sub access to Worlds of Darkness and a movie about a goat.

Jaysus, you'll give Four ideas for the next instalment :eek:

OK, everyone has submitted their stuff so we should be good to go on the morrow. I'll post the thread up hopefully in the morning. And then let the car crash games begin!

(Sorry, I'd have done it today but I had to look up a lot of detail about Cabra in the 60s and 70s for another game.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OK, everyone has submitted their stuff so we should be good to go on the morrow. I'll post the thread up hopefully in the morning. And then let the car crash games begin!

(Sorry, I'd have done it today but I had to look up a lot of detail about Cabra in the 60s and 70s for another game.)

601152160_1331766.gif

Alien Hunger
    I remember running that years ago, still have my copy, so cheesy. Louis Pasteur tries to cure vampirism in a backdrop of 90s trench coats and attitude.

OK, thread's up.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108303705#post108303705

Sorry about the delay but... well... this is terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

OK, thread's up.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108303705#post108303705

Sorry about the delay but... well... this is terrifying!

w11ia.jpg

This feels weird

Off for the night!
    (Unless I show up drunk later :) )

We haven't yet played any of his games here (Ghostbusters, Pendragon, Runequest, Prince Valiant, Call of Cthulhu), but probably the greatest RPG designer Greg Stafford has passed away.

Ghostbusters, Pendragon and Runequest are nearly universally considered the games with the best design.

Fourier wrote: »
    We haven't yet played any of his games here (Ghostbusters, Pendragon, Runequest, Prince Valiant, Call of Cthulhu), but probably the greatest RPG designer Greg Stafford has passed away.

Ghostbusters, Pendragon and Runequest are nearly universally considered the games with the best design.

How does the Ghostbusters game work Four?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necrominus wrote: »

"i'm afraid of no ghost."

wikipedia

• Advertisement

Sounds interesting and enjoyable. One strongly suspects that busting would most likely make one feel good.

Sounds interesting and enjoyable. One strongly suspects that busting would most likely make one feel good.

We could have a game in honour of Greg Stafford. Seems like the right thing to do. ;)

We could have a game in honour of Greg Stafford. Seems like the right thing to do. ;)

Fitting for Halloween too.

Your turn to run one - good luck and bagsy me be Louis Tully!

Fitting for Halloween too.

Your turn to run one - good luck and bagsy me be Louis Tully!

:eek:

tenor.gif?itemid=9212695

Basically there are traits and skills.

There are four traits, in D&D terms STR, INT, DEX, CHAR, just with different names.

Skills (called Talents) are just a list of skills that tended to come up a lot in the film and cartoons.

Both traits and skills work in the same way. Your rating in them means how many d6 you roll. You score for the roll is just the sum of the dice and it has to beat a number picked by the GM.

There are also Brownie points which you can spend to get extra dice.

Ghosts come in seven categories. Starting with the lowest which are just voices or vague lights and colours, all the way up to the highest which are interdimensional super beings.

The first and second editions differ in how much equipment there is (first just has stuff from the films) and health, XP and brownie points are separated in the second.

Halloween game will be either it or Call of Cthulhu, depending on preferences.

Happy First Anniversary of RPGs on boards!
    Anybody interested in an online play-by-post game of some tabletop RPG. I've been finding Roll20 difficult to schedule as most players are in different time zones and so would prefer an Irish crowd.

No experience required and it'd be relaxed enough in pace.

Games I'd be interested in running:

1st Edition D&D, but with one of the modern adventures (award winning ones published in the last few years).

Two games of D&D, a beginner's game, Vampire: The Masquerade, Traveller and Deadlands. Icons and a second GM in Banjo.

Not to mention it now has it's own subforum.

Quite the year Fourier, and it's all down to that original post you made.

Thanks for that, without it I would have never known quite how much fun those games are.

Here's to another year!

Ahem, 3rd - I was only caretaker of that Beginner game for about a week!

Anyway - all praise the mighty Four!
    465186.gif

• Advertisement