Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilder v Stiverne, Mcdonald v Solis, Bivol + Chisora

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

walshb wrote: »
    I think Wilder will find him....and early.

My point was more in comparison to Whyte he surely will be less open and less free...

Yes i agree . Will be interesting to see how he approaches it . Wilder has a very fast jab to set up them crazy punches. Its the fight to make and hope it happens . It would probably be a Vegas fight .

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes i agree . Will be interesting to see how he approaches it . Wilder has a very fast jab to set up them crazy punches. Its the fight to make and hope it happens . It would probably be a Vegas fight .

And really, his "crazy" punch that will do the trick will likely be a straight clean right hand through the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Do you think AJ will be difficult to nail for the taller and rangier Wilder?

Hope they meet. I really do not think the fight goes past three rds...

Betting that Wilder finds AJs chin first for the KO..

Yes i do. I was surprised how Joshua was able to dodge a lot of Wlad's punches. So he should be well able to avoid the windmill punches from a less accomplished boxer such as Wilder

Yes i do. I was surprised how Joshua was able to dodge a lot of Wlad's punches. So he should be well able to avoid the windmill punches from a less accomplished boxer such as Wilder

Possibly. But Wilder is a lot more intent and explosive and committed with this shots. They are not all telegraphed 'back of the hall' shots. Wlad's shots aren't that fast. They are methodical and calculated. Little easier to anticipate and expect I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Wilder will land on AJ if he wants to. I think it depends on how Wilder approaches it. If he goes in there with little respect for AJ, his range & work rate should get the job done in a few rounds. AJ needs to be busy early to dissuade Wilder.

If it were to happen, I think I would fancy AJ to grind it out, simply due to the Rob McCracken factor. McCracken is a tactical genius & would have AJ well schooled.

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if Eddie Hearn gets Fury or Wilder done .

A 60/40 cut would be the deal to make in AJs favour . However with Matchroom having such a big cut of AJs purse he might not accept only 60%

This one will drag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm completely perplexed at all the people who genuinely seem to fancy Wilder's chances.

I'm equally confused at the comment above stating Joshua "is easy to hit"????

Would anybody care to prove that he's easy to hit? You know, give actual examples where he was hit repeatedly or hit by obvious punches. I won't be holding my breath!

While Wilder has a puncher's chance, that's about it. He is NOT a good technical boxer and he will be up against an opponent with very good fundamentals, a hard puncher and who has shown excellent recuperative powers and tactical smarts when the pressure has really been on. Plus for the first time Wilder will be up against a bigger man. Virtually the same height, but AJ is far bigger and stronger physically.

But the most important thing of all, as it is in all sports, is what's between the ears. And even after nearly 40 pro fights Wilder still has the wild-eyed, panicky, keep-the-f*ck-away-from-me look about him anytime anybody even comes close to landing a punch on him. Against a strong, confident, 'correct' boxer he's going to look second rate, mainly because of his complete and utter lack of composure. FFS, he was so all over the place in an easy 1st round KO of Stiverne that he nearly upended the referee as he was trying to stop it. It's almost a guarantee that he will panic badly when a relentless and rock-solid big man is walking him down. And that spells disaster.

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm completely perplexed at all the people who genuinely seem to fancy Wilder's chances.

Would anybody care to prove that he's easy to hit? You know, give actual examples where he was hit repeatedly or hit by obvious punches. I won't be holding my breath!

While Wilder has a puncher's chance, that's about it. He is NOT a good technical boxer and he will be up against an opponent with very good fundamentals, a hard puncher and who has shown excellent recuperative powers and tactical smarts when the pressure has really been on. Plus for the first time Wilder will be up against a bigger man. Virtually the same height, but AJ is far bigger and stronger physically.

But the most important thing of all, as it is in all sports, is what's between the ears. And even after nearly 40 pro fights Wilder still has the wild-eyed, panicky, keep-the-f*ck-away-from-me look about him anytime anybody even comes close to landing a punch on him. Against a strong, confident, 'correct' boxer he's going to look second rate, mainly because of his complete and utter lack of composure. FFS, he was so all over the place in an easy 1st round KO of Stiverne that he nearly upended the referee as he was trying to stop it. It's almost a guarantee that he will panic badly when a relentless and rock-solid big man is walking him down. And that spells disaster.

Great post. As you say Joshua showed in the Wlad fight he is hard to hit, also that he has good recuperative powers. Wilder has struggled against lesser opponents than Joshua to land his punches, it was only his ko power that got him out of trouble on those occasions. When he faces a decent fighter, it's unlikely he will be able to land those kind of punches. Also i suspect his jaw is not as durable as Joshua's, so Joshua with his power and skill will be able to discourage and punish Wilder for his clumsy punching style, and he will, as you suggest, panic when the pressure is on. I am confident aj wins inside three rounds.

For the record I am giving Wilder a great chance. It’s a great puncher’s chance. Any half brained idiot would as well..

Failing that I think AJ wins...

If they ever fight (and I believe Hearn will do everything to not have AJ meet Wilder) I am going with Wilder inside 3 rds..

Great post. As you say Joshua showed in the Wlad fight he is hard to hit,.

Is he? Wlad landed in every rd...and Wlad was cautious and conservative for large parts of the fight.

And had him out of it in rds 5 or 6...

AJ is not that difficult to tag...don’t get me wrong, he’s not George Chuvalo, but he’s not James Toney either.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »

I agree with the above if he was fighting Fury (runs for cover)

Is he? Wlad landed in every rd...and Wlad was cautious and conservative for large parts of the fight.

And had him out of it in rds 5 or 6...

AJ is not that difficult to tag...don’t get me wrong, he’s not George Chuvalo, but he’s not James Toney either.

He's not James Toney, but is difficult enough to hit, we saw in the 5 th or sixth round you mentioned despite Wlad having hurt him he was still was missing with a lot of follow up punches he threw. Throughout the fight Wlad was not finding the target as often as I thought he would. He was a lot less cautious in this fight than in his previous fight.

He's not James Toney, but is difficult enough to hit, we saw in the 5 th or sixth round you mentioned despite Wlad having hurt him he was still was missing with a lot of follow up punches he threw. Throughout the fight Wlad was not finding the target as often as I thought he would. He was a lot less cautious in this fight than in his previous fight.

I commented on Wlad's missing shots, but you know, it was more Wlad's very cautious/telegraphed delivery as opposed to AJs defense. Wlad kept leaping in with lead left hooks that could be seen a mile off...

AJ is as stiff as a board . I think Wilder gets his jab landing easy enough. Either way that fight isnt going more than 6 rounds imo

AJ is as stiff as a board . I think Wilder gets his jab landing easy enough. Either way that fight isnt going more than 6 rounds imo

If it goes 6 I'd be quite surprised.

If I had more confidence in AJs chin I'd pick him 8/10 times. I think he's more polished, precise and effective over the course of 12 rds boxing.

Plus, AJ too has a great punchers' chance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wilder can bang, that gives him a chance against anybody realistically.

I would be interested to see how it pans out, though I would agree with whoever said Hearn would happily keep AJ away from Wilder for the foreseeable future anyway, he is in my eyes the biggest threat to the Joshua money train in the division right now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not major confidence, hence why this fight lasts no more than 3 rds..

Wilder has lights out wow power when he lands clean..

AJ doesn’t, at least not as lights out wow as Wilder! AJ a heavy handed hitter. Wilder a snappy dynamite hitter.

Wilder IMO gets in first to end this. May even be a counter KO shot when he himself is hurt and ready to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Wilder's power is truly sensational. I mean Joshua is built like a sh*thouse and is as big a gym rat as you'll find and comes across as if he never takes a day off whether pumping iron or working on his craft...Wilder is a relatively skinny lad with chicken legs and questionable technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Burial. wrote: »
    Wilder's power is truly sensational.

Wilder is a relatively skinny lad with chicken legs and questionable technique.

He's like the heavyweight reincarnation of Tommy Hearns from a build and power perspective, dodgey chin too. Now that's I'm afraid where the similarities end but that said he's very enjoyable to watch as he's just so unpredictable.

I commented on Wlad's missing shots, but you know, it was more Wlad's very cautious/telegraphed delivery as opposed to AJs defense. Wlad kept leaping in with lead left hooks that could be seen a mile off...

AJ was slipping and ducking a lot of punches. Wlad was not telegraphing his punches all the time, particularly in that fifth found. Joshua might not have the body movement of Ali- not even close, but it was good enough on that night to evade being kod in that fifth round. It also demonstrated he has good chin to get up off the floor after being knocked down. I'm not sure Wilder will be able to get up if he is hit clean like that.

• Advertisement

AJ was slipping and ducking a lot of punches. Wlad was not telegraphing his punches all the time, particularly in that fifth found. Joshua might not have the body movement of Ali- not even close, but it was good enough on that night to evade being kod in that fifth round. It also demonstrated he has good chin to get up off the floor after being knocked down. I'm not sure Wilder will be able to get up if he is hit clean like that.

Yes, but few things need to be considered

His D is not good enough to not get tagged clean and hard. That is all that truly matters.

The chin? He was out of it after that knock down. Yes, he got up....good, but Wilder for me poses far more potentially dangerous punches, plus he will not be so cautious on following up.

Wilder has WOW power....he also is not afraid to really test it....

So, saying this and considering this it is a very dangerous fight for AJ. If he does get tagged really clean I cannot see him getting off the floor....should he, I expect him to be very vulnerable, and I reckon Wilder gets him again, far better than Wlad did.

Yes, but few things need to be considered

His D is not good enough to not get tagged clean and hard. That is all that truly matters.

The chin? He was out of it after that knock down. Yes, he got up....good, but Wilder for me poses far more potentially dangerous punches, plus he will not be so cautious on following up.

Wilder has WOW power....he also is not afraid to really test it....

So, saying this and considering this it is a very dangerous fight for AJ. If he does get tagged really clean I cannot see him getting off the floor....should he, I expect him to be very vulnerable, and I reckon Wilder gets him again, far better than Wlad did.

Wilder has struggled to land against inferior opponents to Joshua in the past. I do agree if he lands clean he could well knock out Joshua, but i think we will see the classic tale of a somewhat crude puncher being outboxed, and unlike, previous opponents, his power won't save him against AJ. Joshua was hurt by Wlad, but he got up, many of Wlad's former opponent after being hit clean didn't. Also Wilder is terrified of getting hit, so i'm not sure he will be aggressive as you make out once he feels Joshua's power.
    So while Joshua does not possess the one punch ko power of Wilder, the cumulative effect of his power will be enough to get a tko stoppage against a guy with a questionable chin.

Many many of Wlad's opponents did get up. Wlad is a good puncher, but many of his KOs are from accumulation.

BOTH have questionable chins. If AJ is neat and tidy and does manage to avoid getting tagged clean/hard his chances of victory are big. He gets tagged clean and hard, and IMO he does not get up.

AJ should be of the game plan to get to Wilder early...

Advertisement