Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time does trick or treating start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Burial. wrote: »
    Pity they hand out sweets and not towels at Halloween because you should dry the f*ck up. It's a bit of harmless fun.
    Ah shucks.
    Sending children to strangers door is not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Turn off the lights and close curtains and they won't bother you. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    There's more Christmas movies on tonight than horrors.

Load of ****.
    Then binge watch stranger things !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Waiting for my fecker to come back too, he's been out since early morning.

It's like they know they have a curfew on a particular day, and stay out for hours.

I actually got the hard one in easy enough. The other fella should be back when he wants food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ah shucks.
    Sending children to strangers door is not fun.

Ask any child tonight if they have had as much fun all year dressing up, playing pranks and getting sweets. The vast majority of houses welcome them too. It's actually surprising how many people go along with Halloween. Seems more people complain about Christmas than Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

LLL11 wrote: »
    Is 8:30 too late to start? I won't be home to bring the little fella before that but don't want to annoy people either

Probably a bit late if it means you'll still be knocking on doors at 9.00. A lot of people will have run out of sweets by then, and others will have just stopped answering the door.

To the original question, it usually starts to kick off at about 5 in my area with the small kids, and then the rest would normally come between about 6 - 7.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It is not an Irish tradition and i'm against allowing children out after dark to knock strangers doors. That could be very dangerous and not a good message to be giving to children.

Most groups of children will have an adult with them, hovering at the gate somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I live in a huge estate. My dogs are going to go awol. They hate the doorbell and the puppy finds its a personal task to run out anytime I open the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh give over. It's a bit of fun for them. The 'message' is just your mind running riot.

Mad isn't it how children weren't mass kidnapped back even in the early/mid 90s on Halloween when we used to go trick or treating?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It is not an Irish tradition and i'm against allowing children out after dark to knock strangers doors. That could be very dangerous and not a good message to be giving to children.

Actually, Halloween originates from the Irish/Celtic festival of Samhain. The Irish tradition of going around from house to house dressed up, masked and asking for food is at least 500 years old.

• Advertisement

A good crack on the arse.

Can't be spanking kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Actually, Halloween originates from the Irish/Celtic festival of Samhain. The Irish tradition of going around from house to house dressed up, masked and asking for food is at least 500 years old.

And if the householder was a miserable git, he was dragged from his house , decapitated, brains gouged out and his skull filled with the crap no-one eats.Usually crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im not going to be home until about 7. So hopefully the majority will be gone by then because i dont have any sweets. Well i do, but they're mine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And if the householder was a miserable git, he was dragged from his house , decapitated, brains gouged out and his skull filled with the crap no-one eats.Usually crisps.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Feck, just realised that I have no sweets in the house. And I don't want to have to stop on the way home

LLL11 wrote: »
    Is 8:30 too late to start? I won't be home to bring the little fella before that but don't want to annoy people either

I was just about to post on thread about people in your predicament.

I have a stash put away for the kids whose parents don’t get home till late. Those poor parents already miss out on sports days and Christmas plays so please think of them tonight and not add to their guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A knock on the door....

tenor.gif

..........That could be very dangerous and not a good message to be giving to children.

A guy was telling me that in the 80s when himself and his buddies went trick or treating in New Hampshire they'd bring the sweets to the local hospital to be x rayed (for bits of blades etc) before consuming them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Live in an apartment with 2 outer doors and my doorbell (genuinely) doesn't work. I don't expect to be bothered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I left all the sweets out at the front door, disconnected the doorbell (so the dog wouldn't have a meltdown), and now I'm in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Next year be prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

There's a child near me in the pub and I'm only short of taking him trick or treating myself. His mam and her boyfriend (who she'll tell the social she's not living with) are "just having one more" the last hour. Fcuking knackers. Take the kid out for sweets ffs.

Aaaand she just got two vodka redbulls. Cnut.

Annnnnnnnnnd

The fireworks have started. Two massive labradors trying to get on my lap for protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

A kid of about 5 knocked in earlier. I didn't have the sweets ready in the hall so I said "just give me one second". Hadn't even turned around to go to the kitchen when straight away he said "ok, one." Give me a chance kid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Small ones started knocking here about 4

To the working parent: people have to work ...always late callers here after parents finish work.

There's a child near me in the pub and I'm only short of taking him trick or treating myself. His mam and her boyfriend (who she'll tell the social she's not living with) are "just having one more" the last hour. Fcuking knackers. Take the kid out for sweets ffs.

Aaaand she just got two vodka redbulls. Cnut.

Long streaks of p1ss is what they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Just had the first knock at the door. There were 20 kids there. All at once. Hoping it's most of the neighbourhood so I get to enjoy GBBO with minimal disturbance!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

Annnnnnnnnnd

The fireworks have started. Two massive labradors trying to get on my lap for protection.

I gave my dog a big juice bone he is out the back chewing on the bone, fireworks going off and he doesn't care.He usually runs in and hides when he hears fireworks.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Just had a kid wearing yellow rain jacket holding a red balloon
    He got extra sweets!!

Advertisement