Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I was reading recently that recreational drugs were added to the banned list purely to get USA to join WADA. While the USA doesn’t care about sports players using PEDs, they do care about recreational drugs
    That wouldn’t surprise me.
    Cocaine use is prevalent among rugby players due to myths about calorific content of it versus beer etc. and teams/unions are trying to stamp that out.

:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

England doing judo again it seems.

Terrible to see
    https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/999958908453228544?s=19

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    England doing judo again it seems.

Terrible to see
    https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/999958908453228544?s=19

There is a narrative fast developing against Jones and whether true or not I could see him in jeopardy if this summer tour goes badly. England might take the view that a change now is better another bad world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea the sky is collapsing on uncle Ed. He appears to be a fool with the training regim8he insists on. No doubt a clean sweep of the boks will restore his idol like aura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In fairness to Eddie, there's no indication as to how Obano got injured. Could be totally innocent, Ireland are no stranger to training injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Cocaine use is prevalent among rugby players due to myths about calorific content of it versus beer etc. and teams/unions are trying to stamp that out.
    They have no concerns about their entire cardiovascular system or how it affects their brain chemistry!!!

I think they need some education

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

All Exeter so far in this one. 3-0

Lasted long. Sarries with bout 5% possession and get the first try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Exeter are one trick pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Shows how big a loss Vunipola has been for England

He's been everywhere, and apparently not even 100% fit

• Advertisement

Nowell saves a certain try. Exeter hanging on by a thread, if it keeps up Saracens could cut loose altogether. Itoje has been immense

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Exeter are one trick pony
    Sarries aren't much better, bang bang bang bang, fast defensive line, bang bang bang

Think that's a bit harsh they've looked dangerous out wide when they've spread it

The wyles try had a good cut out pass in the build up but I don't know, they are bashing them into submission with the front five and vunipola. Some 50/50 kick and hopes creating opportunity. Lots of handling issues, Koch in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

This looks like men against boys..

Exeter not resourcing the breakdown at all it seems

Inches.

You'd think a single 3 pointer for Saracens would be enough but their defence is looking more and more tired as this game closes out.

Another Aviva semi final, another blowout. Exeter 2910 - 27 Saracens Newcastle
    :pac:

I'll have to watch it back but that post barbarians press conference from Jones wasn't great. I think he is a cooked goose waiting to happen. He talked about the 15 guys coming back in and not having access to them but with a playing pool the size of England's to ship 63 points to the barbarians and blame it on a bunch of young lads lacks any kind of class.

Contrast with Lam's conference where he spoke about the limited window but how he had already identified weaknesses and you can see a startling difference between the attitude of the two coaches. Going to put my chips down now, I don't think Jones will be England coach next six nations. He's going to South Africa with a lot of his big players back, if they fail to perform down there against an extremely tarnished South Africa I think he'll be jettisoned with McCall the inevitable replacement.

I know he's not the most likeable but given his first two years he's surely earned a pass for this season's 6n. Lest we forget Ireland had a very similar campaign in 2016, Wales 2017 - these things happen

With Billy V back and the other Sarries guys back in form, I would expect them to get a clean sweep in SA

Unless there's a clear indication of trouble in the camp a series win in SA should bring back a bit of goodwill. If they lose to the SH big 3 in the Autumn he'll be re-assessed I'm sure, but if the Oz and SA of 2017 turn up they should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'll have to watch it back but that post barbarians press conference from Jones wasn't great. I think he is a cooked goose waiting to happen. He talked about the 15 guys coming back in and not having access to them but with a playing pool the size of England's to ship 63 points to the barbarians and blame it on a bunch of young lads lacks any kind of class.

Contrast with Lam's conference where he spoke about the limited window but how he had already identified weaknesses and you can see a startling difference between the attitude of the two coaches. Going to put my chips down now, I don't think Jones will be England coach next six nations. He's going to South Africa with a lot of his big players back, if they fail to perform down there against an extremely tarnished South Africa I think he'll be jettisoned with McCall the inevitable replacement.

You can see the media building up for it already. The way he's responded and dealt with the shortcomings haven't exactly helped his case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If anything, he's incredibly lucky they are off to SA now rather than Australia. They have a far better chance of coming out the right side of that one I think, given SAs issues. Australia seem to have a few guys hitting some serious form at the moment (saw some of the Tahs game the other morning where Beale and Folau looked in superb form) and will prob be a tougher prospect than they were a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    If anything, he's incredibly lucky they are off to SA now rather than Australia. They have a far better chance of coming out the right side of that one I think, given SAs issues. Australia seem to have a few guys hitting some serious form at the moment (saw some of the Tahs game the other morning where Beale and Folau looked in superb form) and will prob be a tougher prospect than they were a couple of years ago.

I dunno... I think I'd happily take Cheika's Australia against the unknown quantity that is Rassie's South Africa. Rassie is extremely thorough and cereberal in his approach to opposition as well, AND he will have been watching NH rugby very closely during his time up here.

South Africa with a new captain, players trying to prove themselves to a new coach, and with far better direction... I wouldn't want be too excited about that prospect.

It was Eddie Jones and Borthwick who masterminded South Africa's humiliation against Japan as well. I'd say it won't be hard to get those players motivated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

molloyjh wrote: »

Interestingly, SA are odds on favourites to win the series. A poor performance and a SA clean sweep wouldn't bode well for Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I disagree, I think the boks are very poor. Rassie may get the standards up somewhat, but England should scalp them. Not saying that Eddie is not going well right now but, the boks were awful in Novenber. It would be a massive turnaround if the boks take the series. I think England sweep them.

Interestingly, SA are odds on favourites to win the series. A poor performance and a SA clean sweep wouldn't bode well for Jones.

Interesting

They must be accounting for England being on the beach somewhat - which may have merit, but competition for places ahead of world cup year should give the players enough motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I dunno... I think I'd happily take Cheika's Australia against the unknown quantity that is Rassie's South Africa. Rassie is extremely thorough and cereberal in his approach to opposition as well, AND he will have been watching NH rugby very closely during his time up here.

South Africa with a new captain, players trying to prove themselves to a new coach, and with far better direction... I wouldn't want be too excited about that prospect.

It was Eddie Jones and Borthwick who masterminded South Africa's humiliation against Japan as well. I'd say it won't be hard to get those players motivated!

All true, it's just hard to know how quickly Rassie can turn things around there. And England won't be shy of motivation either, needing a win to break the current streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jr86 wrote: »
    Interesting

They must be accounting for England being on the beach somewhat - which may have merit, but competition for places ahead of world cup year should give the players enough motivation

I think it's a combination of home advantage, the appointment of a new coach, the appointment of Erasmus and England's relatively poor season in the 6N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I think it's a combination of home advantage, the appointment of a new coach, the appointment of Erasmus and England's relatively poor season in the 6N.

Plus the fact that Rassie is allowed to use the SAffie emigrants. Half of Montpellier may well be playing for SA - possibly including Ruan Pienaar - or that nifty little Sale scrum half (Du Klerk?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Squatter wrote: »
    Plus the fact that Rassie is allowed to use the SAffie emigrants. Half of Montpellier may well be playing for SA - possibly including Ruan Pienaar - or that nifty little Sale scrum half (Du Klerk?)

Pienaar said he'd never play for the Boks again. They've already named the squad, du Plessis, Vermeulen, De Klerk, Steyn and le Roux were the players from abroad included.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement