Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Don't forget, Daly was called into Carton House in November and during the 6Ns. It really wouldn't be that surprising to see him go to Oz depending on the squad size. You'd have to think that in the back 3 we'll have Rob, Stockdale, Earls, Larmour and Conway anyway. Who else would be ahead of Daly based on camps etc so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Don't forget, Daly was called into Carton House in November and during the 6Ns. It really wouldn't be that surprising to see him go to Oz depending on the squad size. You'd have to think that in the back 3 we'll have Rob, Stockdale, Earls, Larmour and Conway anyway. Who else would be ahead of Daly based on camps etc so far?

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dave Kearney included if we're really stuck. He's back fit now, apparently. He was starting as recently as autumn when he scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In fairness to Daly, he had 11 starts and 4 sub appearances in the league and got 12 tries, that's a good return by any measure.

However, he's not international standard. He would be an odd choice for Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Wonder will players speak out now about this

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/997961345340452864?s=19

BBC have a report today about how some Scarlets players haven't been able to train properly for the Leinster game due to a variety of burns they obtained during their game against Glasgow on their 4G pitch.
    Scarlets say preparations for Saturday's Pro14 final against Leinster have been hampered by burns and blisters suffered by players in Friday's semi-final victory at Glasgow.

Coach Wayne Pivac said Scotstoun's 4G pitch was "very bad", Steff Evans said it was "shocking" and Johnny McNicholl says such surfaces should be "illegal".

Pivac said players suffered blisters, sore feet and "a lot of bad burns".

Glasgow said they are "entirely happy with" the playing surface.

The Warriors added the pitch "is fully compliant with World Rugby's performance specification".
    Full-back McNicholl, who said he sustained a dozen burns, described the pitch as "horrible" and questioned whether it should be legal.

"It has not been a couple of nice nights, sticking to the sheets," said the New Zealander.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44208535

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jack Willis out for up to a year with knee ligament damage...that's an absolute shocker for the kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

bilston wrote: »
    Jack Willis out for up to a year with knee ligament damage...that's an absolute shocker for the kid.

Looked bad when he fell and immediately started roaring with pain; I don't like Owen Farrell so would like to blame him for the injury, but I think that it was accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

bilston wrote: »

Yeah, significant ligament damage too. ACL plus others. Poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hurrache wrote: »
    BBC have a report today about how some Scarlets players haven't been able to train properly for the Leinster game due to a variety of burns they obtained during their game against Glasgow on their 4G pitch.

Scarlets say preparations for Saturday's Pro14 final against Leinster have been hampered by burns and blisters suffered by players in Friday's semi-final victory at Glasgow.

Coach Wayne Pivac said Scotstoun's 4G pitch was "very bad", Steff Evans said it was "shocking" and Johnny McNicholl says such surfaces should be "illegal".

Pivac said players suffered blisters, sore feet and "a lot of bad burns".

Glasgow said they are "entirely happy with" the playing surface.

The Warriors added the pitch "is fully compliant with World Rugby's performance specification".
    Full-back McNicholl, who said he sustained a dozen burns, described the pitch as "horrible" and questioned whether it should be legal.

"It has not been a couple of nice nights, sticking to the sheets," said the New Zealander.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44208535

Ummm. Okay, well, not quite sure what to say about that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ummm. Okay, well, not quite sure what to say about that.

I played a soccer match recently on the new astroturf at the University of Limerick, and the game went to extra time and penalties. I had to face 10 spot-kicks before we won in sudden death. Even with padded shorts on, my knees and shins looked like I'd been attacked with a cheese grater. My jeans got stuck to me a few times before the burns fully healed. It sounds funny, but it feels horrible, and it's pretty much inevitable for anyone playing on that kind of surface in dry weather.

I played a soccer match recently on the new astroturf at the University of Limerick, and the game went to extra time and penalties. I had to face 10 spot-kicks before we won in sudden death. Even with padded shorts on, my knees and shins looked like I'd been attacked with a cheese grater. My jeans got stuck to me a few times before the burns fully healed. It sounds funny, but it feels horrible, and it's pretty much inevitable for anyone playing on that kind of surface in dry weather.

Yeah it's funny and all and it's nice to shít on the welsh from time to time but it's also possible they have a legitimate grievance and it's worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I too have been woken by the pain of sheets pulling on such grazes and cuts, it's not pleasant at all. When the wounds start to dry then movement around joints that those scars cover is just as unpleasant.

I always did assume you don't get such friction burns on those modern surfaces and the consensus seems to be you don't as much as you'd expect. Apart from in dry conditions it seems which may be why it hasn't been a more common problem due to the timing of the league.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On a dry day those pitches really need to be properly soaked before a match and probably at half time too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've played on them loads of times in 35+ degrees and no water on them. Bit scaldy but nothing to cry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All 5 teams placed 10-14 in the WorldRugby rankings play at least twice against one or more of the other 4 teams:
    Japan v Italy twice, Fiji v Georgia, Japan v Georgia, Fiji v Tonga, Tonga v Georgia

Should shake up rankings quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd imagine Georgia would be the better of those teams. They really are up and coming. Fiji lose tons of players to the French and Italy are rebuilding under O'Shea. Interesting fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

James Slipper has been banned for two months after testing positive for cocaine. Twice. :eek:

Also been fined £14k.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

prawnsambo wrote: »
    James Slipper has been banned for two months after testing positive for cocaine. Twice. :eek:

Also been fined £14k.

Matt Stevens was banned for two years for testing positive for cocaine. How does Slipper only get a two month ban? Surely there should be uniformity with this? I appreciate Slipper is going through a mental health issue but so was Stevens at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Matt Stevens was banned for two years for testing positive for cocaine. How does Slipper only get a two month ban? Surely there should be uniformity with this?

Is the difference in-competition testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is the difference in-competition testing?
    Well he was tested positive for the first time in February and again in May, so I think that crosses over.

Different Rugby Unions, so maybe a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well he was tested positive for the first time in February and again in May, so I think that crosses over.

Different Rugby Unions, so maybe a different approach.

There are also mental health issues in this instance so that's probably viewed as a mitigating circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fernandez Lobbe will retire after the Barbarians v England game.

Brilliant player at his peak and still a decent one well into his 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Fernandez Lobbe will retire after the Barbarians v England game.

Brilliant player at his peak and still a decent one well into his 30's.

Fernandez Ligind is one of my favourite ever players. One of the best flankers of the noughties.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Loved Lobbe. Rarely saw him have less than a 7/10 game (L'equipe rather than Irish Independent ratings)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Cameron Redpath ruled out of England’s tour with an ACL injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cameron Redpath ruled out of England’s tour with an ACL injury.

His Dad has been at the voodoo doll again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Also been fined £14k.

Never understood how Cocaine can be considered performance enhancing, it would probably make you think you’re a much better player. Though in reality I can’t see it making anyone play better. It’s no more performance enhancing than alcohol.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    Never understood how Cocaine can be considered performance enhancing, it would probably make you think you’re a much better player. Though in reality I can’t see it making anyone play better. It’s no more performance enhancing than alcohol.

Its not a performance enhancing drug, its an illicit drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

stephen_n wrote: »

I was reading recently that recreational drugs were added to the banned list purely to get USA to join WADA. While the USA doesn’t care about sports players using PEDs, they do care about recreational drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Cocaine use is prevalent among rugby players due to myths about calorific content of it versus beer etc. and teams/unions are trying to stamp that out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement