Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

hahashake wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella posted a Rassie quote from the documentary this morning on his twitter that isn't the most complimentary of the Irish side...

I'm not on Twitter. What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm not on Twitter. What did he say?

Ireland are soft and England go away, but Wales are tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ireland are soft and England go away, but Wales are tough.

That would be a pretty common believe in NZ as well. Most kiwis would think that Ireland can be bullied and physically dominated, if England fall behind and the game starts getting away from them they will disappear. Where as the Welsh are stubborn and don't know their place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That would be a pretty common believe in NZ as well. Most kiwis would think that Ireland can be bullied and physically dominated, if England fall behind and the game starts getting away from them they will disappear. Where as the Welsh are stubborn and don't know their place :D

Is that a throwback to the 70s? Wales are obviously a good side but have been nowhere near beating NZ in long a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,367 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Another one of the greats has died. JJ Williams played for Wales in the 70s.

Probably would not last 5 minutes in the modern game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pelezico wrote: »

Classy... again...

aloooof wrote: »
    Classy... again...

Yeah....he wasnt great but all the lazy pundits are calling him a great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

How do you know he wasn't great?

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    How do you know he wasn't great?

I used to watch him.play. But the modern protocol is to write about every player who retires or dies as a great.

He was at best a club player ...I the modern game he would last as long as the first tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I used to watch him.play. But the modern protocol is to write about every player who retires or dies as a great.

He was at best a club player ...I the modern game he would last as long as the first tackle.

So you're in your 60s then.

As someone who is in their mid sixties I find your remarks odd. Usually people of any age, moreso our age are more respectful of the recently deceased.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He didn't play in the modern game, therefore the modern game has zero relevance to his ability. He was a 7 time test Lion and won 2 Grand Slams. More that you or any 'club player' could ever dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The RFU is bringing charges against 13 Barbarians players. Charges include:

- Individual breaches of the protocols (e.g. leaving the hotel without permission or without informing organisers of their whereabouts)

- Providing false statements during an investigation

with possible fines and bans if guilty of false statements and breaching protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

- Individual breaches of the protocols (e.g. leaving the hotel without permission or without informing organisers of their whereabouts)

with possible fines and bans if guilty of false statements and breaching protocols

I'm a bit confused by this.
    How is it up to the RFU to decide who to charge - they aren't a governing body of rugby, they just provided one team for an international match.
    If there's non-English players involved/charged, could they not just tell the RFU to go swing?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm a bit confused by this.
    How is it up to the RFU to decide who to charge - they aren't a governing body of rugby, they just provided one team for an international match.
    If there's non-English players involved/charged, could they not just tell the RFU to go swing?

I would assume it's because they were the organisers of the fixture and not certain on this, but would the "Barbarians RFC" be registered as a club under the RFU meaning that they would be subject to their by-laws etc.?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod: The main rule of the charter is "Don't be a dick". Any more of this kind of posting and your posting privileges will not be hanging around.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RIP JJ Williams

absolute legend of the game !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What sanctions can they enforce against say Fergus McFadden or any of the Barbarians who aren't Englush or retired?

I suppose it depends on the nature of their Barbarians contract, but on the face of it they cant ban a retired player and can they really enforce a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    What sanctions can they enforce against say Fergus McFadden or any of the Barbarians who aren't Englush or retired?

I suppose it depends on the nature of their Barbarians contract, but on the face of it they cant ban a retired player and can they really enforce a fine?

Depends Whats in the contract I guess

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »

As RFU were governing authority who sanctioned the game they could punish McFadden the same as the english players i imagine. He signed up to same regulations and to follow policies in place same as english players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As RFU were governing authority who sanctioned the game they could punish McFadden the same as the english players i imagine. He signed up to same regulations and to follow policies in place same as english players.

Although as a retired man any sanctions are likely unenforceable

• Administrators Posts: 53,367 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

salmocab wrote: »
    Although as a retired man any sanctions are likely unenforceable

I would imagine financial penalties, if outlined in whatever contract McFadden signed to play, could be pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,782 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

some nice polos in the range

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Rugby/InternationalTeams/BritishIrishLions/c/2828

Can never figure out sizes. Some mediums are baggy but some are tight. Ill wait and see them in the stores whenever they open back up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

awec wrote: »
    I would imagine financial penalties, if outlined in whatever contract McFadden signed to play, could be pursued.

I would say beyond not paying him his fee which is totally fair they have very little chance of getting anything from an individual that lives in another jurisdiction and doesn’t even play rugby anymore. I doubt they’d even try.

awec wrote: »
    From Murray Kinsella on twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Elgjh9yXgAMZjP5?format=png&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Is Sean Maitland being overlooked by Scotland or what’s the story? Why is he with the Barbarians and not them?

Is Sean Maitland being overlooked by Scotland or what’s the story? Why is he with the Barbarians and not them?
    got dropped from scottish squad for breaching covid protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

got dropped from scottish squad for breaching covid protocols

Would he not have been in Scottish camp for the Georgian game at the same time the Barbarians were in camp for England? Or did he break restrictions on his own and then with Barbarians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He was in the squad and was due to join back up with them for the final 6N game but has been dropped now because of the breach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement