Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Richie Gray is returning to Glasgow Warriors. 2 year deal. One Gray in one Gray out I suppose...

Edit: also didn't realise he was only 30, he's been around forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What was the point of this? I mean who on earth thought it would be a good idea, or even fair on the players themselves. Crazy stuff. Although Kruis all but confirmed he's moving to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

https://crusaders.co.nz/news/1388-crusaders-team-named-to-play-the-hurricanes-in-ashburton
    Conan O'Donnell a replacement for Crusaders for their friendly against Hurricanes on Saturday. Didn't get catching a lot of it but he must have impressed in Mitre 10 cup for Counties Manukau, fair play to him. Oliver Jager is there as well of course so two Irish props

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

https://crusaders.co.nz/news/1388-crusaders-team-named-to-play-the-hurricanes-in-ashburton
    Conan O'Donnell a replacement for Crusaders for their friendly against Hurricanes on Saturday. Didn't get catching a lot of it but he must have impressed in Mitre 10 cup for Counties Manukau, fair play to him. Oliver Jager is there as well of course so two Irish props

Fair play to him. Couldn't understand why he was let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Fair play to him. Couldn't understand why he was let go.

And why he wasn't re-signed when we needed a prop after he got back!

Really hope he does well, I'll be raging that we let him go of course...

• Advertisement

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/saracens-stand-on-brink-of-automatic-relegation-as-nightmare-season-set-to-continue/?__twitter_impression=true

Well, well, well. Awful for anyone who would lose their jobs if this turns out to be true. At this stage it would be as well to wind up the whole sorry saga and move on. It's too serious a thing at this stage to take pleasure in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Jamie Roberts is to leave Bath with immediate effect to play the 2020 Super Rugby season with Stormers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

molloyjh wrote: »
    https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/saracens-stand-on-brink-of-automatic-relegation-as-nightmare-season-set-to-continue/?__twitter_impression=true

Well, well, well. Awful for anyone who would lose their jobs if this turns out to be true. At this stage it would be as well to wind up the whole sorry saga and move on. It's too serious a thing at this stage to take pleasure in.

It's dreadful for the staff at Saracens.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the mother of all ****fits from Stephen Jones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Jamie Roberts is to leave Bath with immediate effect to play the 2020 Super Rugby season with Stormers.

Strange move.

He's started 7 games in the Premiership, came off the bench in the other, and played in 4 games in Europe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Strange move.

He's started 7 games in the Premiership, came off the bench in the other, and played in 4 games in Europe.

Shorter, less taxing season.

Might get another season or two out of his legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

What was the point of this? I mean who on earth thought it would be a good idea, or even fair on the players themselves. Crazy stuff. Although Kruis all but confirmed he's moving to Japan.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet but the 42 are taking a different slant on it saying he said he is going nowhere?

Kruis backs Ireland and Munster to bounce back https://the42.ie/4968565

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Shorter, less taxing season.

Might get another season or two out of his legs

And probably a chunk more cash in his bank account before he retires

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm guessing he was on a good salary at Bath......

nudge nudge, wink wink

And probably a chunk more cash in his bank account before he retires

Only if he gets longer out of his career.

No way stormers are paying him more than Bath were per season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I don’t know why Kruis would go on that. I know he wants to promote his new company but Nathan did him no favours bringing up doping when asking about his CBD oil. Then the Saracens chat was very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Saracens relegated. Fair play to the rugby alakadoos over there. Big shock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Eh, it's not a done deal yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Yes it is

Source?

testtech05 wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet but the 42 are taking a different slant on it saying he said he is going nowhere?

Kruis backs Ireland and Munster to bounce back https://the42.ie/4968565

That's not what he says in the clip above at all. He kind of acknowledges he has always wanted to go to Japan and almost goes out of his way not to confirm or deny. Maybe the full interview has the part the 42 quoted though.

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Yes it is

It isnt. The reports are that the face relegation if they are proven to be over the cap again. So it hasnt been confirmed that they are over the cap again yet. And even when it is, it isnt guaranteed that they'd be relegated. Its beginning to look like a very real possibility, but it hasnt happened yet and may still not happen.

EDIT: Here's the current state of affairs:

"The bosses of the top-flight clubs met at a Premiership Rugby board meeting in London on Tuesday.

It was decided that unless Saracens could prove their compliance, they would face the unprecedented step of dropping into the second tier."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/51143657?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

That's not what he says in the clip above at all. He kind of acknowledges he has always wanted to go to Japan and almost goes out of his way not to confirm or deny. Maybe the full interview has the part the 42 quoted though.

Or not they can be a bit dodgy with some of their reporting too....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm guessing he was on a good salary at Bath......

nudge nudge, wink wink
    You're not the only one to suggest that. A few comments popping up on Twitter about it. The immediate nature of the transfer and Stormers taking up his pay is... unusual.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You're not the only one to suggest that. A few comments popping up on Twitter about it. The immediate nature of the transfer and Stormers taking up his pay is... unusual.

Josh matavesi joined with immediate effect, so it's not looking like it was a salary cap related move to SA

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Josh matavesi joined with immediate effect, so it's not looking like it was a salary cap related move to SA
    Well it still would be if it's one out to make room for one in. But yeah, I take your point. The wider issue is whether Saracens can do something similar with (say) French or SA clubs. Although I'd imagine that the SA clubs wouldn't be able to match the kind of salaries that Saracens are paying for their top players.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well it still would be if it's one out to make room for one in. But yeah, I take your point. The wider issue is whether Saracens can do something similar with (say) French or SA clubs. Although I'd imagine that the SA clubs wouldn't be able to match the kind of salaries that Saracens are paying for their top players.

Only France and Japan would be able to match the kind of salary they'd be currently on.

And as far as I know French clubs can't sign players mid-season outside of the medical joker process.

Here's a question - If Saracens were relegated , Could the still play in the European cup next year if they were to win it this year?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Only France and Japan would be able to match the kind of salary they'd be currently on.

And as far as I know French clubs can't sign players mid-season outside of the medical joker process.

Here's a question - If Saracens were relegated , Could the still play in the European cup next year if they were to win it this year?
    Technically yes they could. 20th qualifier spot is for the winner of the previous year's champions if they haven't qualified through league position.

I say 'technically' because I'm not sure if there's small print preventing clubs from a lower tier from participating.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Technically yes they could. 20th qualifier spot is for the winner of the previous year's champions if they haven't qualified through league position.

I say 'technically' because I'm not sure if there's small print preventing clubs from a lower tier from participating.

That's the bit I'm wondering about - For England , the "ownership" of the European cup lies with Premiership Rugby which doesn't include Championship teams.

Having said that Saracens would probably continue to be "members" just as Bristol and LI have always been members despite being relegated a few times.

Interesting times - Reading some articles apparently a load of the squad have "relegation clauses" in their contracts.

That will be an interesting test of loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Wrey apparently has severed all formal ties with Sarries.

Sinking ship.

• Advertisement

Wrey apparently has severed all formal ties with Sarries.

Sinking ship.
    But the Wray family is still "committed to the club" apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement