Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers blowing up Kittens

Options

Comments

I’m not a fan of cats, but this makes me sick to my stomach.
    Why bother trying to rehabilitate teenagers like this.
    They will end up as murderers anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I dunno the kitten might have been a right prick.
    Always get the benefit of the doubt do kittens.
    Shower of feckers every one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Why do people get so upset? Animals are going into Abattoir's every second of the day and being slaughtered to fill fatties stomachs not a second thought given. But poor white fluffy Kitty gets all the sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Oasis1974 wrote:
    Why do people get so upset? Animals are going into Abattoir's every second of the day and being slaughtered to fill fatties stomachs not a second thought given. But poor white fluffy Kitty gets all the sympathy.

Dogs and cats are seen as a companion in the West not as a food source, unlike cows and sheep etc.
    Btw all meat eaters are fatties? lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Boards needs a different react button than the thanks. Like Facebook it needs an angry one too. Scum boys.

• Advertisement

Boards needs a different react button than the thanks. Like Facebook it needs an angry one too. Scum boys.
    #JeSuisKitteh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Oasis1974 wrote: »

Have you ever eaten a cat? Cows on the other hand are delicious but anyway they're dispatched quickly with a shot in the head rather than explosives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry, but I'm skeptical (not saying it definitely didn't happen) about taking stories like this at face-value, second-hand. And I outright don't believe the Indo story about youngsters putting a lit firework in a dogs mouth.

Friend of mine is a cop in Dublin 1, and an animal lover - even did the outreach part of his training phase in an animal sanctuary. Now you can believe or not believe what you like, just cos the Indo said such and such, but from the stories my pal has told me, especially at this time of year, theres a good chance the Indo is wrong alright, the firework was more likely to have been forced up the dog's anus. 3 or 4 sociopathic feral teenagers are more than well able to trap even a decent size dog and hurt them.

For my part, I actually worry about myself encountering people doing that sort of thing, because no word of a lie, I would actually end the life of a couple of them and end up in prison. Genuinely, little brings out the red mist in me like wanton animal cruelty and I really dont think id be able to stop beating them until they were long past breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

There has to be something lacking in the human soul if you can hurt an animal I don't care what anyone says. I have 2 cats am on the verge of tears just imagining it.
    One of mine is now fast asleep in front of the fire on a cushy foot stool, while some other poor kitty is probably being terrified by some little cretin. Utter low life's. Fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Animals should be given legal protection from harm once they achieve consciousness and self awareness.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sorry, but I'm skeptical (not saying it definitely didn't happen) about taking stories like this at face-value, second-hand. And I outright don't believe the Indo story about youngsters putting a lit firework in a dogs mouth.

Think about the practicality of that, for a second, and ask yourself whether it isn't more likely that the dog wasn't under control, and went maybe approached a lit firework..? Why immediately believe that someone (somehow) put it into the dogs mouth?

Websites like the Indo and The Journal have been known to sensationalise stories like this in the past, e.g. a horse that was allegedly burnt alive (only, on further investigation, it turned out (as should have been assumed at the outset), it was dead, and some people attempted to burn its carcass to dispose of it.

Sad to say the animal charities also jump on these bandwagons without pausing to think whether it adds up.

The newspapers do it for clickbait - again, the Indo is notorious for it. And whilst I do accept that profoundly cruel things are done to animals on a daily basis, I also believe that some people attempt to benefit from manipulating our natural affinity with the animal kingdom, for clickbait or other ends.

Do you ever look at the social media of animal rescues and the dspca?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For my part, I actually worry about myself encountering people doing that sort of thing, because no word of a lie, I would actually end the life of a couple of them and end up in prison. Genuinely, little brings out the red mist in me like wanton animal cruelty and I really dont think id be able to stop beating them until they were long past breathing.
    Fully agree with you there Larbre, I'm an animal lover myself. And the very fact that cruelty cases drive me up the wall, when I see them, is exactly why I think some unethical media outlets have tended to manipulate or exaggerate these stories as clickbait.

It's comparable to the (especially British) red-tops' obsession with putting the frighteners on parents with regard to 'pedos' on the loose in a certain area.

I have no doubt about your Garda friend's genuine experiences. The firework-in-a-dog's-mouth claim just doesn't sound right to me, but I could very well be wrong.
    Do you ever look at the social media of animal rescues and the dspca?
    Yep, and they're gut-wrenching.

Animal cruelty is a massive issue in this country. I'm talking about a very tiny minority of cases being exaggerated, or invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've been hearing this story every year since my childhood. Either we've a lot of psychopaths roaming around or a touch of urban legend?

Unfortunately it's the former. Cruelty to animals is massively amplified around Halloween.

I adore fireworks and I love seeing and hearing them around my area this time of year, but it's always bittersweet knowing that some people are probably using them as torture devices against some animal which was unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

cd07 wrote: »
    Fully agree although I would just be blunt and say they need to be battered to within an inch of their lives. Society seems so afraid of being punished for putting some discipline on these scumbags or being terrified of some juvenile reprisal. I say smash the biggest tough guy then watch the rest run. They're just filth

You make a very valid point.
    Almost without exception,and particularly in the younger age group of these gangs (9-12),there will be one dominant figure.

He will usually be easy to identify,particularly by ear,as he will be the one egging every other eejit on.

If he can be isolated and shut-up in a very visible manner,the remainder of the pack will usually split and slink away.

The problem is that these creatures tend to be very familiar with The Law,and the protections which it offers "Minors",a term which can often be heard on the Luas Red-Line as it wends it's merry way Saggartwards.

Unfortunately,there is a very narrow window of opportunity,within which the Alpha (Minor) Male,can be saved from the certainty of a violence filled adolescence and sordid adulthood.

I suppose it all boils down to,whether these people can ever be of value to organized society ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'd like to see those cnuts up against a hungry pride of lions.

Beyond contemptible. Sickening to think they'll probably get away with it.

I can only hope they'll make an early mistake in their upcoming lives of crime and spend most of their miserable sad existences behind bars. :mad:

To be fair, I'm sure the story about that young homeless woman having a thunder rocket (screamer) put into her hood and having it explode with the hoodie still on her would have been met with similar skepticism if there hadn't been video evidence to go along with it. Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens every year around Halloween in some areas.

And I don't particularly like to think about the details but getting a lit rocket into an animal's mouth wouldn't be as difficult as you think - once it's in between the dog's teeth and is then being pushed further in by its own propellant power, it would be very difficult to get rid of it before it bangs. :(

Oasis1974 wrote: »

If animals which are usually slaughtered for their meat were instead killed in painful and sadistic ways just for the entertainment of some psychopaths, I think it's not a fair comparison. A fairer comparison would be people who hunt for sport rather than food, and personally I'd regard those people in the same category as these kids. Killing anything purely for entertainment is wrong, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Maybe remove a few teeth with a pliers for good measure, scum like this dont understand anything else

And I don't particularly like to think about the details but getting a lit rocket into an animal's mouth wouldn't be as difficult as you think - once it's in between the dog's teeth and is then being pushed further in by its own propellant power, it would be very difficult to get rid of it before it bangs. :(

You might well be correct, I'm not claiming to be an authority on animal cruelty, some of the claims just seem a bit far-fetched. Most of these gurriers probably cannot tie their own shoelaces without setting the house on fire, let alone manage to execute a perfectly-timed destruction of a dog's mandible using a lit firework.

Since fireworks shoot upwards, it just seems more likely that the object was on the ground when the dog came across it, which is why it hit his lower jaw, not his upper jaw.

I'm just suggesting the article may be exaggerated, or, well... based on a complete falsehood. I am certainly sure of one thing, that cruelty like this, and worse than this, happens on a daily basis. I just tend to get skeptical when I see the Indo clickbaiting its readership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

man i just dont get that. Youd have to be literally psychopathic to catch a cute little cat and blow it up. Anyone who does that to an animal and doesnt bat an eyelid is undoubtedly a dangerous person, if theyre not hurting people its simply because of fear of repercussions, and they need to be watched

Since fireworks shoot upwards, it just seems more likely that the object was on the ground when the dog came across it, which is why it hit his lower jaw, not his upper jaw.

Fireworks don't shoot upwards though, they shoot in whatever direction they're pointed in. If you're using them as intended, that of course means upwards. But if you aim a rocket or roman candle horizontally, that's the way it'll fire.

I'm assuming this was a rocket since the whole body of the firework is propelled in whatever direction it's pointing, meaning that if they put it into the dogs mouth, the thrust would just push it further in.

It doesn't bear thinking about TBH but yes it's very possible. I used to put on an annual halloween fireworks display for some of my mates so I've a good idea of how they work, and I'm just thinking that if a rocket is thrusting in a particular direction and meets an obstruction, it doesn't explode on impact but keeps pushing against that obstruction until its originally planned exploding moment. While the body of an ungrounded roman candle would be pushed away in the opposite direction to its payload, a rocket is designed to move in the same direction that its payload will eventually detonate in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bring back the birch and redden their backs the utter scum.
    **** that. These scumbags are waaaaaaaay beyond birching. Needs more of a Rodriguo Dutuerte style solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gunships? Hmm, not to be rejected out of hand.

Koolhanger wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk?!

Little f*ckn scumbags, and yes, I know it's the parents fault, at the end of the day.

But these little d*ckheads have a conscience of their own as well.

I would love to see them take a hiding.

The problem is that for these types a conscience is whats lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

kravmaga wrote: »
    Maybe remove a few teeth with a pliers for good measure, scum like this dont understand anything else

Or strap some of them fireworks to there legs and arms see how they like it evil scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sugarcube

Genuine question - those of you calling for the youffs to be executed etc. - if you have a mouse in your house, do you set a trap? Knowing that there's a chance the mouse will suffer terribly? They don't always die straightaway; can be heavy going sometimes...

Obviously the issue of intent is completely different in the two cases. But in terms of suffering, is there a difference between being caught in a trap and blown up with a firework? And for those of you who are self-professed animal lovers (I'm sure most of us are): where do you draw the line? Do you set a trap if there's a mouse in your house? What about a rat??

I'm just interested in understanding the difference...I wonder if people who lament the kitten's plight would set mousetraps at home and how they'd reconcile themselves with it etc. I think blowing up kittens deliberately is depraved, but have absolutely no problem setting mouse trapsand finishing them off myself if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Taping / throwing a firework at an animal is serial killer in the making stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Feral little kunts should be fed face first into a mincer... Then their knacker parents bet to death with a sledgehammer....

• Advertisement

sugarcube wrote: »
    Genuine question - those of you calling for the youffs to be executed etc. - if you have a mouse in your house, do you set a trap? Knowing that there's a chance the mouse will suffer terribly? They don't always die straightaway; can be heavy going sometimes...

Obviously the issue of intent is completely different in the two cases. But in terms of suffering, is there a difference between being caught in a trap and blown up with a firework? And for those of you who are self-professed animal lovers (I'm sure most of us are): where do you draw the line? Do you set a trap if there's a mouse in your house? What about a rat??

I'm just interested in understanding the difference...I wonder if people who lament the kitten's plight would set mousetraps at home and how they'd reconcile themselves with it etc. I think blowing up kittens deliberately is depraved, but have absolutely no problem setting mouse trapsand finishing them off myself if needs be

It's about intent, cost/benefit, and reason. The intention of killing a mouse is to protect your food from germs and your furniture etc from damage. Cats post no such risks in general. Nobody enjoys the thought of killing a mouse, it's the end result - a clean, safe house - that people want. Nobody enjoys the thought of animals being killed for food - it's the end result of eating the foot that people are after.

Killing a kitten with a firework is not about the end result, it's about enjoying watching the animal suffer. It has no benefits, unlike killing pests or food animals. The reasons for doing it are not about personal safety or hygiene - the reason is the enjoyment of suffering. And that's the problem - individuals who enjoy watching animals suffer for its own sake are vile individuals, and some of us would prefer to live in a society free from vile individuals.

Advertisement