Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan vote for independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I will be declaring myself as the KING OF FRANCE tonight !! 10 PM.

It's real in my head so it must be happening right ?

Catalonia is not an independent state, these far left extremists are in a minority and have ironically gone against democracy by declaring independence after an illegal vote.

Spain didn't help things with their heavy handed response to the election on October 1st.

Still doesn't change, Spain will invoke article 155 now .. and that's that!

Catalonia is going to be an independent state, these middle of the road non-extremists are in a majority and have acted democratically. the vote was just and is legitimate. Spain will indeed invoke article 155 but it won't stop catalonia becoming an independant republic.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Catalonia is going to be an independent state, these middle of the road non-extremists are in a majority and have acted democratically. the vote was just and is legitimate. Spain will indeed invoke article 155 but it won't stop catalonia becoming an independant republic.

Hahaha !!
    between this and your bile on the IH thread you really do talk utter utter nonsense

edit and the vote wasn't legal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm enjoying reading Irish people decide the Catalan people shouldn't have the right to self-determination. I trust they won't be celebrating in 2021 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

mikhail wrote: »
    I'm enjoying reading Irish people decide the Catalan people shouldn't have the right to self-determination. I trust they won't be celebrating in 2021 either.

38% of Catalan people shouldn't decide things no ... and what about Irish people that live there ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

What it comes down to is you can't force somewhere to be somewhere it doesn't want to be.
    If we all of a sudden were made to be part of England by direct rule would we take that?
    Why would anyone sit down and take it?

• Advertisement

Not really, international media are being dishonest on the amount of blocked votes - not many people were blocked most people got to vote in the end.
    Even taking the hugely exagerrated number of 700K blocked + confiscated votes it still doesnt add up to a majority.

I was speaking to people I know that voted YES as a protest to the Polices disgraceful behaviour - but they said if there is a real ref. they would vote NO, for stability.
    Lots of people like this and adding the fact that people were voting multiple times , this "90%" figure is wishful thinking.

The vote back in 2014 would be more accurate, and that still fell very far from a majority - taking into account the unionists ignore these referendums for Independence people organised by independence people.

Spain though really scored an own goal with the carry on by the police on the 1st.

They should have allowed a real legal ref, the independence would have been well beaten.

So now the extreme left separatists moan about democracy, yet they just declared independence from an illegal referendum - that again the majority of people in Catalonia don't want.

I don't listen to international media actually,
    I worked in Barcelona for two years, I was there last week, and my friends there have told me about protecting the schools, and police, including their own local police, seizing the ballot boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Civil war in Europe. Looks like there will be clash over this. Spain can't afford to lose the region they have to take it back with force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Sure, but 62% of people in Catalonia don't want to separate from Spain

Says who where you get this stat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If Spain loses Catalonia, they'll lose the Basque region as well.

This could bring the French Basques into play then. Would be interesting to see how the French would react to that. Plus the Corsicans would also like their own state.

A Euro Spring to be sure.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

I don't listen to international media actually,
    I worked in Barcelona for two years, I was there last week, and my friends there have told me about protecting the schools, and police, including their own local police, seizing the ballot boxes.

I've lived her 13 years and the post you are replying to is bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can we have a poll on whether or not Ireland should recognize the new Catalan Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

They are the wealthiest part of Spain by far.

And they use the euro.

But what happens if they stop using the euro.
    Or they stop using spanish passports.
    Etc etc

Forming a new country is not easy, its very hard. The Catalans think it will be a walk in the park. It won't. If they persist with this they will gradually become a pariah state that is impoverished and no one will do business with.

Whereas today they are a wealthy state which everyone will do business with. Being part of the Euro currency is massively important to the region.

The Catalan leaders are hot headed idiots with zero economic competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

A meaningless objection. Many countries, including the most powerful one on earth, gained independence illegally. Their existence retrospectively legitimises the then 'illegal' actions that founded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

And they use the euro.

But what happens if they stop using the euro.
    Or they stop using spanish passports.
    Etc etc

Forming a new country is not easy, its very hard. The Catalans think it will be a walk in the park. It won't. If they persist with this they will gradually become a pariah state that is impoverished and no one will do business with.

Whereas today they are a wealthy state which everyone will do business with. Being part of the Euro currency is massively important to the region.

The Catalan leaders are hot headed idiots with zero economic competence.

They don't have to become a pariah state if they don't want to. There are countries out there with only a few thousand people and they're doing just fine, a good few of them are not even in the EU. I'd say they'll be grand

I think with every independence movement there's a large lazy segment of the population who will want to cosy up to whatever big boys are ruling them and opt for the easy/stable life of having their decisions made for them but that's mostly short term thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Spanish DDP is charging Carles Puigdemont with "Rebellion" which carries a maximum sentence of 30 years.Could they not have him shot in the prison courtyard and do the old blood sacrifice? Go the whole hog like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How will this effect the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Barca will be the Catalan Champions for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

38% of Catalan people shouldn't decide things no ... and what about Irish people that live there ?
    You don't see the 49% in Scotland out on the streets, or unilaterally declaring independence. If the Spanish government had provided a legal route to a referendum (and 'get the law changed with a 2/3rds majority in parliament' was about as adequate an answer as 'get home rule passed in the two houses of parliament' was for us), I'd guess it'd have been solidly defeated. I'd have agreed with the result too - staying in Spain seems the smarter route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Barca will be the Catalan Champions for the foreseeable future.

Lleida Esportiu might have something to say about that 😄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

mikhail wrote: »

Self determination doesn't apply to the people Catalonia.

Sounds to me like the Catalonia separatist leaders are not the brightest. An Independent Catalonia led by these fools would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sounds to be like the Catalonia separatist leaders are not the brightest. An Independent Catalonia led by these fools would be a disaster.

Yeh because Spain has been flourishing over the last decade.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sounds to be like the Catalonia separatist leaders are not the brightest. An Independent Catalonia led by these fools would be a disaster.

Unless their intent was to be 'martyrs for the cause'.

And yet Catalonia was flourishing.

I have travelled around Spain, and been in parts where people are working 14 hours per day for tiny money, with no rights. And then I went to Barcelona where the average salary seemed to be 50000 a year, and it has so many giants of technical companies there.

I wonder how they got so wealthy and the rest of spain got so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hard to understand the EU at the best of times but they have excelled themselves in absurdity here.

Slovenes - good, heroic. Tough luck Serbs, hands off these plucky go-it-aloners.
    Catalans - destabilizing, bad. Madrid to manage this - nobody interfere.

????

Didn't like the cut of their yellow and red stripey jib obviously.

And yet Catalonia was flourishing.

I have travelled around Spain, and been in parts where people are working 14 hours per day for tiny money, with no rights. And then I went to Barcelona where the average salary seemed to be 50000 a year, and it has so many giants of technical companies there.

I wonder how they got so wealthy and the rest of spain got so poor.

It seems to be the industrial centre of Spain. Also has huge tourism numbers, property investors, cruise ships leaving from there, etc. It has a lot going for it alright.

But its pointless being an industrial centre if you aren't able to trade or use the currency of the rest of Europe.

Many of those leading the charge for independence are from the far left who hate capitalism and wealth creation. You'd soon see Catalonia go down the tubes if they were in charge. They stirred up anti Madrid feelings. Catalonia as an independent state has no future. There'd be mass unemployment as all the major companies left and the tourists stopped coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly don’t think that the Spanish government could be making more of a mess of this whole issue.

From the start, they should have let the vote go ahead and just say that ‘while we make note of it, we do not recognise it as a legal referendum’, which of course it wasn’t. Do that and the story starts and ends there.

Instead they send in the storm-troopers, beat old women over the head, have the horrible visual of riot police seizing ballot boxes and create so much more sympathy towards the independence cause.

If someone had sent Rajoy a book on where the Brits went wrong in Ireland, a step by step guide, he could not have followed it better.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeh because Spain has been flourishing over the last decade.....

I saw this morning someone raising the prospect that Catalonia could use Bitcoins instead of Euros for its new currency.
    It goes from bad to worse. You can't even get bitcoins from an ATM.
    Tourists would have to change all their money into Bitcoins to shop there.
    Its laughable.
    Fair enough if they had a proper plan for independence. But they don't. They are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Capture.png

So how will a Catalan government decide what is legal?

Advertisement