Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan vote for independence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It should liven up the next Barcalona v Real Madrid match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

diomed wrote: »
    It should liven up the next Barcalona v Real Madrid match.

Ya know that could actually swing it in favour of the Spanish Government.

Effectively, Barcelona FC would be out of the Spanish league, and no one in Barcelona would want that, Soccer is very close to the heart over there!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'm sure other pro-independence regions of Europe are watching events unfold attentively.

With Lombardy and Veneto in Italy only last week voting in favour of greater autonomy from Rome, the secessionist movements in these regions will become more empowered if Catalonia becomes independent or close to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

grahambo wrote: »
    Kind of true, they have Autonomy but only because Spain gave it to them.
    I don't think they speak the Catalan language anymore (Maybe i rural areas or in homes) Influx and migration of people within Spain mean the culture has blended some what.

I agree with you, Spain should have embraced the Vote the way the UK did with the Scottish independence Vote.

Everyone speaks Catalan there. It is their first language.
    I was in Barcelona last week and they couldn't believe we didn't fight to use the Irish language in day to day life. It's interesting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'm sure other pro-independence regions of Europe are watching events unfold attentively.  

With Lombardy and Veneto in Italy only last week voting in favour of greater autonomy from Rome, the secessionist movements in these regions will become more empowered if Catalonia becomes independent or close to it.
    The EU falling apart... :angel:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

The EU falling apart... :angel:

Might be a little premature to call that...

Nevertheless, this turn of events I find fascinating - it's a declaration of independence in the style of the United States or even this country. But the big question is whether or not a pampered Western society like Catalonia has the stomach to fight for it's independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Seriously?

So for example if Northern Leinster (Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow and Louth) decided:
    Ya know what, we've had it with the areas of the country that aren't are rich and prosperous as us, so we're gonna form our own country and tell the others to get stuffed

Can Carlow Come??? Dont leave us here with Cork people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Effectively, Barcelona FC would be out of the Spanish league, and no one in Barcelona would want that, Soccer is very close to the heart over there!.

Not a chance they would be in different leagues. Sure Welsh teams play in the English leagues and Derry city play in our league.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    and the Vatican.

I thought they dealt exclusively in hoarded gold and jewels?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LordSutch wrote: »
    MAIN CATALAN THREAD IS HERE > > > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057792731

This thread should merge or be closed.

It's a breakaway thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The EU falling apart... :angel:

Might be a little premature to call that...

Nevertheless, this turn of events I find fascinating - it's a declaration of independence in the style of the United States or even this country. But the big question is whether or not a pampered Western society like Catalonia has the stomach to fight for it's independence.
    If you love history it is fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I thought they dealt exclusively in hoarded gold and jewels?

The miracle of the jewels to Euro, much like the water to wine story .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Does this mean we need to change to pasaeta's again when traveling?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Kind of true, they have Autonomy but only because Spain gave it to them.
    I don't think they speak the Catalan language anymore (Maybe i rural areas or in homes) Influx and migration of people within Spain mean the culture has blended some what.

Catalan is spoken everywhere in Catalonia. It has millions of speakers.

It's a breakaway thread

'llibertat'

begbysback wrote:
    Does this mean we need to change to pasaeta's again when traveling?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ardinn wrote: »
    Can Carlow Come??? Dont leave us here with Cork people!!!

Wait .............
    There's a place in Ireland called Carlow?

What county is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wait .............
    There's a place in Ireland called Carlow?

What county is it in?

It's in yore ma!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I will be declaring myself as the KING OF FRANCE tonight !! 10 PM.

It's real in my head so it must be happening right ?

Catalonia is not an independent state, these far left extremists are in a minority and have ironically gone against democracy by declaring independence after an illegal vote.

Spain didn't help things with their heavy handed response to the election on October 1st.

Still doesn't change, Spain will invoke article 155 now .. and that's that!

Spain will invoke article 155 now .. and that's that!

Sincerely doubt it.... the Catalans are a proud people.

• Advertisement

No, they would insist on staying , they are Spanish when it suits them.
    Like Fernando Alonso was ****ING HUGE there and TV3 Catalan state TV show ****ing loved him - it was unreal !!

hypocrites

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Sincerely doubt it.... the Catalans are a proud people.

Sure, but 62% of people in Catalonia don't want to separate from Spain

Sure, but 62% of people here don't want to separate from Spain

That could change with the invoking of 155.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

They will be "free" but they will be poor.

I'd rather be relatively free and relatively wealthy.

Sure, but 62% of people in Catalonia don't want to separate from Spain

How is that true when police closed down voting schools, took voting boxes with votes away, and disabled a mobile phone app telling people where to vote.

You know that people who wanted to vote were blocked from voting right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Catalan is spoken everywhere in Catalonia. It has millions of speakers.

It is the first language of 36% of the population

marienbad wrote: »
    It is the first language of 36% of the population

It is the first language of Catalans. Foreigners live in Barcelona like anywhere else. There is a massive population of English, South American and Spanish in Catalonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

They will be "free" but they will be poor.

I'd rather be relatively free and relatively wealthy.

They might be initially poorer if they do somehow get independence but hardly poor compared to a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

It is the first language of Catalans. Foreigners live in Barcelona like anywhere else. There is a massive population of English, South American and Spanish in Catalonia.

It is the first language of 36 % of people entitled to vote in Catalonia , many more speak it as a second language . But then again Spanish is the first language of an even greater %

• Advertisement

How is that true when police closed down voting schools, took voting boxes with votes away, and disabled a mobile phone app telling people where to vote.

You know that people who wanted to vote were blocked from voting right?

Not really, international media are being dishonest on the amount of blocked votes - not many people were blocked most people got to vote in the end.
    Even taking the hugely exagerrated number of 700K blocked + confiscated votes it still doesnt add up to a majority.

I was speaking to people I know that voted YES as a protest to the Polices disgraceful behaviour - but they said if there is a real ref. they would vote NO, for stability.
    Lots of people like this and adding the fact that people were voting multiple times , this "90%" figure is wishful thinking.

The vote back in 2014 would be more accurate, and that still fell very far from a majority - taking into account the unionists ignore these referendums for Independence people organised by independence people.

Spain though really scored an own goal with the carry on by the police on the 1st.

They should have allowed a real legal ref, the independence would have been well beaten.

So now the extreme left separatists moan about democracy, yet they just declared independence from an illegal referendum - that again the majority of people in Catalonia don't want.

Advertisement