Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catalan vote for independence

Options
  • 27-10-2017 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Whats everyones take on this?

I think spain messed up with the heavy handed tactics.

Fair play to them,and good luck forming a country,wouldnt think thats too easy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its a rash and hot headed move. They haven't thought it through properly. When unemployment rises in Catalonia they might regret it.

They won't be able to use the Euro for a start as technically they won't be part of the EU. So how then will the banks operate and how will large scale industry trade or pay wages?

Stupid short-sighted move brought about by hot headed nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wish 'em the best of luck. Hopefully they won't feel the need to join the EU either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Its a rash and hot headed move. They haven't thought it through properly. When unemployment rises in Catalonia they might regret it.

They won't be able to use the Euro for a start as technically they won't be part of the EU. So how then will the banks operate and how will large scale industry trade or pay wages?

They are the wealthiest part of Spain by far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They are the wealthiest part of Spain by far.

Only does you for so long. There seems to be reports of businesses looking to get out, due to the lack of stability there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is this another embassy we will have to open? I wouldn't mind being ambassador to Catalonia? Where do I apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

drdeadlift wrote: »

Seriously?

So for example if Northern Leinster (Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow and Louth) decided:
    Ya know what, we've had it with the areas of the country that aren't are rich and prosperous as us, so we're gonna form our own country and tell the others to get stuffed

You'd be in full support of that?
    Despite the devastating economical effect it would have on the rest of the country?

Carles Puigdemont is a f**king idiot!
    He blames all of Catalonias problems on the rest of Spain.

He's basically the Nigel Farage of Spain except worse.
    Spain has facilitated and facilitated this guy for years now but he's still not happy.
    Now he declared independence from Spain, that's effectively Treason and carries a penalty of life imprisonment in Spain. (which he should get IMO)
    Not to mention barely half the population of Catalonia voted in favour of independence.

They all think they are just going to keep there access to the EU.
    I cannot believe they don't realise the EU will punish them as best they can if they do manage to form another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I hate cats

But even with all my hatred, if I had one, I wouldn't subject him to being called Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

grahambo wrote: »
    Seriously?

So for example if Northern Leinster (Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow and Louth) decided:
    Ya know what, we've had it with the areas of the country that aren't are rich and prosperous as us, so we're gonna form our own country and tell the others to get stuffed

Despite the devastating economical effect it would have on the rest of the country?

Spain has facilitated and facilitated this guy for years now but he's still not happy.
    Now he declared independence from Spain, that's effectively Treason and carries a penalty of life imprisonment in Spain. (which he should get IMO)
    Not to mention barely half the population of Catalonia voted in favour of independence.

I cannot believe they don't realise the EU will punish them as best they can if they do manage to form another country.

I think Rajoy's response effectively backed them into a corner. If anyone in that government offered a softer tone and didn't send in the heavies they would not have had to go down this road IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It seems crazy that it's got to this point, on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Seriously?

Maybe if the other half got off their arses and voted they wouldn't have this problem. I heard the same excuses following Trump's election and Brexit. All the whingers saying 'barely half the country voted', and organising online petitions.
    No one to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

EU won't punish them. They simply won't be a member, and Spain will veto them joining if they try to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Seriously?

The difference is: Spain have treated Catalonia badly in the past. Suppressing their language and culture for a long time under dictator Franco. So why should they stay with Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Seriously?

You'd be surprised how much of this country would support that.
    Many of us are fed up with the liberal loonies there.

How can we make this happen?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think Rajoy's response effectively backed them into a corner. If anyone in that government offered a softer tone and didn't send in the heavies they would not have had to go down this road IMO.

I think Puigdemont intention was to declare independence this year not matter what was offered. So heavy handed or not, I think they'd still be in the same place.
    Donal55 wrote: »
    Maybe if the other half got off their arses and voted they wouldn't have this problem. I heard the same excuses following Trump's election and Brexit. All the whingers saying 'barely half the country voted', and organising online petitions.
    No one to blame but themselves.

It was an illegal vote wasn't it? wasn't sanctioned by the government of Spain.
    Other half did the right thing in not voting IMO
    wes wrote: »
    EU won't punish them. They simply won't be a member, and Spain will veto them joining if they try to.

In my eyes that amounts to punishment (IE out of the EU and cannot join plus a border) their wealth will vanish fairly quickly me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Kivaro wrote: »

Any chance we can build a big beautiful wall around cork and tell them to feck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

They will be able to use the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It will be a disaster for them, nobody will recognise it as it was an illegal referendum to begin with. Businesses will leave the region, they will be outside the EU and it will go into decline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

They won't be able to use the Euro for a start as technically they won't be part of the EU.

Montenegro and Andorra use the Euro, neither of whom are in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seriously?

I'm down with that, where do we sign up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Montenegro and Andorra use the Euro, neither of whom are in the EU.

Also San Marino and the Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We are talking here about centuries of separation in language, culture, and economic progress.

I don't think the term 'hot-headed' applies there.

It wasn't 'brought about' by anybody of late. It always was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

drdeadlift wrote: »

Seriously?

Farage helped lead a campaign to get the UK out of the EU via a legitimate referendum. This guy didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

In my eyes that amounts to punishment (IE out of the EU and cannot join plus a border) their wealth will vanish fairly quickly me thinks

Well, they effectively chosen to leave the club. One of the consequences of independence is they are no longer a member, and Spain has always made it clear they would veto Catalonia joining.

I would think best if they could join, but Spain will never let it happen.

The difference is: Spain have treated Catalonia badly in the past. Suppressing their language and culture for a long time under dictator Franco. So why should they stay with Spain?

Franco was no Saint, but he wasn't the Devil either.
    He was very Nationalist, ultimately his goal was preservation of Spain and Spanish identity.
    He helped the Nazi's (Only cause he thought they'd win and didn't want to be invaded)
    He also kept the Communists out of Spain, a country they were most likely to get a foot hold in post WW2/Cold war.

Also bare in mind that was nearly 50 years ago, he left office in 1970 right?
    Kivaro wrote: »

Any chance we can build a big beautiful wall around cork and tell them to feck off
    bladespin wrote: »
    I'm down with that, where do we sign up?

Will you three give over!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Seriously?

Can we stop with this false equivalence nonsense? Catalonia has its own distinct language, culture and political autonomy. It meets all the criteria of a "nation". There's no difference between Meath and Tipperary or Kildare and Cork in any pragmatic sense.

I'm in support of democracy from the bottom up. The people of Catalonia voted in favour of independence. Personally, I'd like to see the referendum re-run with Spain's support - with a 12 month window for public debates, education and emotional decisions to be replaced by informed and rational ones.

If the people of Catalonia still a year from now vote for independence, then they should be afforded it.

Complete red herring. It's the people as a whole who vote.

Spain left him with no choice. They obstructed a democratic vote, and threatened to remove autonomy.

Personally I have no feelings either way on whether Catalonia should be independent. But it's easy to be sympathetic to the Catalan people after how Spain reacted - battering people for taking part in a democratic vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The central government will end this fairly quickly. Since they will be in charge of the Catalan treasury, they will simply withhold wages from civil servants that refuse to follow instructions. A week or two of chaos in Catalonia will only harm Catalonia.

The Spanish state will dismantle all the nation like institutions of Catalonia before handing it back for new elections. This declaration may set back real independence by decades.

But I suppose events could over take everything, who knows what will happen. The only great concern I have is that Ireland has securely hitched it's wagon to the EU train, damage to European institutions will have major consequences for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MAIN CATALAN THREAD IS HERE > > > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057792731

This thread should merge or be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

LordSutch wrote: »
    MAIN CATALAN THREAD IS HERE > > > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057792731

This thread should merge or be closed.

Yes, Mariano Rajoy, we will do exactly as you say.

Feck off by the way.

• Advertisement

Can we stop with this false equivalence nonsense? Catalonia has its own distinct language, culture and political autonomy. It meets all the criteria of a "nation". There's no difference between Meath and Tipperary or Kildare and Cork in any pragmatic sense.

Kind of true, they have Autonomy but only because Spain gave it to them.
    I don't think they speak the Catalan language anymore (Maybe i rural areas or in homes) Influx and migration of people within Spain mean the culture has blended some what.
    I'm in support of democracy from the bottom up. The people of Catalonia voted in favour of independence. Personally, I'd like to see the referendum re-run with Spain's support - with a 12 month window for public debates, education and emotional decisions to be replaced by informed and rational ones.

I agree with you, Spain should have embraced the Vote the way the UK did with the Scottish independence Vote.

Advertisement