Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

Great, so is it just for the intial set-up I need the VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't think you even need a VPN for initial setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm probably tempting fate by posting this but India is still working fine for me at present.

I have one of my devices using a VPN tunnel set to Mumbai but all other devices are still via normal routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

UPDATE - NOT GOOD NEWS

My test low cost Euro zone account (Slovenia) was nuked by Netflix on Friday while I was away. I literally watched just one show on the account. However despite it being nuked by Netflix 15 days after setting it up they did issue a full refund.

My low cost South American dollar account hasn't been nuked yet but I feel it's just be a matter of time before that happens. I wouldn't recommend anybody set up an account with a payment card that does not match the country to which you are subscribing too.

• Advertisement

No Tutorials where used for WG Server other than the installation guide.

I just followed the instruction, as required I have a static IP from my ISP and port forwarding enable on my router. once the windows setup was done I install WireGaurd from google playstore on the android client and set that up as per the instructions. Everything worked

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Fwiw, I got Netflix through sky via my parents. Their sky was out of contract (tv only) and they cancelled the other week. My mother got a text asking them to ring to see if there was an offer available so I rang for her. Got the sky signature pack (the basic one) plus Netflix premium (or whatever the top tier is called) for €28ish. They had been paying €43 I think for just sky.

So if anyone is with sky, out of contract and in a punch - might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭G1032

Is this the account you created and canceled straight away? Or do you have another account lying dormant with card details removed?

New account, new Revolut virtual card. Setup and then I cancelled the subscription myself. It got nuked 15 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭G1032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Has anyone bothered to click on "Block future payments" in the Revolut app that was paying via Turkey and got kicked out a few weeks ago by Netflix? It's telling me next payment 22 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

Mine is due to be taken on the 22nd too. I haven't 'blocked future payments' yet, because I want to see if they'll attempt to take the payment. I have the card frozen so it'll be declined anyway - and that way I'll get a notification of a failed payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Mine was on Revolut app scheduled for March 3rd and no transaction was ever processed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Is Turkey still the cheapest? Was kicked recently but back in using a 200TL voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

I think someone said Nigeria or possibly Egypt was cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

If you read back over the last few pages you will see turkey with vouchers is about the only option left that seems to still work

@Blade

I hope you don't mind the mention but is there any chance this thread could have the original post updated to reflect the recent clampdown by Netflix. It seems the same questions are being asked regularly enough to warrant an update.

(1) They seem to be nuking accounts with payment cards issued from outside the country of origin.

(2) While voucher payment on regions that accept it seems to work, some users have here and elsewhere reported these accounts getting nuked too.

(3) If nuked you may lose the money you paid out, a charge back may need to be started. In the case of an account paid with voucher your goosed. It's probably best not to stack vouchers and instead top up as required.

(4) Turkey currently is the cheapest option with payment via vouchers. You may or may not be geo-restricted and have to use a VPN to watch, user experience differs. Elsewhere it's been reported the geo lock lasts for 30 days.

(6) Other cheaper regions like Nigera don't accept vouchers and you are very likely to be nuked soon after setting your account.

(7) Password sharing is another area where user experience is different. Some people report no problems, others do. While there is a technical workaround via a private VPN it's probably beyond most average users.

(8) At the end of the day, your mileage may vary and if you set up a non-irish account do so knowing it could end at any time and you could be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think that was me. Was using revolut for years. My hard is nowhere near expiring. One day Netflix just stopped working. Tries to do it again with revolut card and it wouldnt let me. Tried with N26 card and it worked and then cut me off a few days later again.

So then tried with gift cards and it worked for a few weeks and gone again. Not going to bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I tried Turkish Netflix with Revolut, N26, Curve and Wise years ago. I was able to add cards but payment wouldn't go through for any of them. I lost patience and went down the gift card route. I've been using gift cards without issue for years now. I still have a Revolut card added as a payment method & it's valid until December 2025. I have about 14 months of gift cards added. I'm hopeful I will be trouble free at least until December 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Great post , thanks for summarising.

Looks like the jig is up unless you go down the voucher route (which seems like more hassle than its worth )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The voucher route is very little hassle. Every 3 months I buy a few vouchers and load them onto Netflix

It takes about 5 minutes max, and 4 of that is waiting for the vouchers to come through to my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mobius2021

Famous last words but Ukraine is still working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

No hassle at all

Worst thing that happened to me was someone from the states trying to make a payment on my old revolut card....new card unfortunately wouldn't work so thats probably the case for most people once their card expires now.

Been using vouchers for over a year now, just topped up with 800TL (23.91 euro) gets me from July 5 to Oct 18 which is

a plan for 4 people so just under 7 a month by my calculations.

Long may it last....

At one stage last year or two it was under 4 euro a month however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Just did this. Used a new email address to sign up. Also used a VPN set to Israel to sign up (no Egypt on my keepsolid vpn). On the free trial. Card authorised. Will see how it goes when the trial is up. I went with the yearly plan which is less than €5!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

same..............for now, next bill date 25th.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

I re-signed up to Turkey with the exact same card as before the day I was kicked off. Be interesting to see what happens at renewal. I guess I'll find out on Sunday 🤞

The day I was kicked off the first time, was the day my next payment was due so I didn't actually lose any time. Until I saw this thread and realized it was a mass expulsion, I just thought they wanted me to renew my details for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Tried to setup yesterday via Turkey, wouldn't let me sign in to renew via my account which had just gone out of subscription

Created new email address and it wouldn't accept my credit card.

Going to look into the netflix gift cards :-) might be end of road

Sign in to your old account with your VPN turned off. Then turn on the VPN set to turkey. Netflix blocks signing in if a VPN is detected

Don't use a non Turkish payment card , the account will get nuked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Croatia still working for me, but early days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My Netflix India payment "failed" today, got a pop-up asking me to update payment details. Switched on my VPN, followed link provided and updated payment details and payment was accepted and normal service continues at Rs649

Card used for "new" payment was previously my Turkish payment card.

Advertisement