Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AB7

Also it’s cheaper in Turkey than Argentina or India

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

FYI - Netflix shares down 26% last night on the back of disappointing subs growth released with their Q1-22 results. Company calling out competition from new streaming services but especially password sharing. Planning to intensify enforcement of proper account sharing practices. Also saying will include a ad-supported, low priced tier

Interesting that they're saying they are already cracking down on password sharing. not seen much of it on here tbh... amy ideas of what else they might do?

just asking for a 'friend' who recently joined a turkish group on here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How do they differentiate between the brother living in a different house and the son who is away at college? They can't make it too cumbersome.

If they do shut down sharing, my freeloaders just won't subscribe and ill prob downgrade to 2 screens. I assume this will be the nett result and Netflix loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think 4 profiles at different locations around Dublin or Ireland will set off alarm bells but one or even two at different addresses might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I had ad supported HULU for $1/month for 12 month. I got rid of it after 2 months as the ads were so frequent and annoying.

• Advertisement

Ad-supported should be free like Spotify is. Ads + payment is a pretty poor value proposition IMO but I guess to each their own.

The bigger picture questions is how do you pay for the massive content budget (which is the main carrot they dangle in front of prospective subscribers) if your revenues arent growing. they business is loss making as is...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭samboy08

It's just corporation greed! They made $1.6bn profit in the 1st quarter and they are putting a negative spin on it. So no the business is not loss making at all! Big corps just want to keep increasing their profits year on year and if they fail that then its a bad year and the company is in 'real trouble!'. Their solution is why don't we just squeeze the regular consumers even more when they have all already been hit by inflation and energy price rises on their minimum wage jobs!

Poorly worded on my side. Not money losing but cash burning...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Managed to get Turkey to work for me.

Logged into Irish account and removed my phone number.

Then VPN to country.

Used incognito mode to go to netflix.com and sign in.

Added backup card using a new physical Revolut card (not virtual) and it worked. Didn't ask me for SMS code (it had been on previous attempts with Virtual card)

Logged back out and from Ireland added back on my phone number.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Keep getting the "wrong password" problem.

"error please try again" when trying to change password.

I'm incognito and trying to sign in from India via tunnel bear

Was using surfshark before but couldn't connect to netflix regardless of country chosen

Any workarounds? I'm using Win 10 on a PC.

Edit - got it working from Cyprus. €13.99 instead of €21.99 so a bit of a win. Hopefully can get something sorted for India or Turkey at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Irish sub expired this morning so just logged on using HolaVPN browser and set sail for Turkey.

Changed payment method to gift card and applied a Turgame voucher. No extra verification required.

I just had a 200TL card to try first so showing as Standard sub paid up to August. Gonna get some more now and try to stack them.

Thanks all for the tips and steps. These things usually never work out for me so pleasantly surprised this morning :-)

Edit: bought more Turgame vouchers and applied no problems

Post edited by Saint_Mel on

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭in2dark

I followed exactly what you did and thanks a lot. It all worked.

I had added my revolut (never used it before for netflix) and it didnt accept it.

I ended up buying 700 liras worth of coupons and have account paid now till mid december on the 4k pack.

Thanks again! My vpn (ipvanish) wouldnt work, so your hola browser came to the rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've had a physical revolut mastercard as my default payment for ages. Logged into my Irish account (no VPN) and was able to add my new physical revolut card no problem. Revolut app just asked me to verify 0 turkish lira charge as is usual when adding a new payment method.

Post edited by digitaldr on

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did you have to wait for long for turgame to progress your transaction. Mine is in progress this last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My first attempt failed, but they alerted me immediately when that happened. The second attempt worked, took maybe 10 or 15 minutes for the transaction to complete.

Odd, I eventually got the email/order complete after about 2 hours. All ok though. Couple of hundred TL into my account. I'll stock up and get it sorted until Christmas or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

when I go back into my account it asks to verify payment method, ive added TL to my revolut and still its saying problem with payment method, any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I exchanged some euros for turkish lira.

Tried again, and no request for turkish mobile. So updated now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Some people reporting that Netflix are turning on and off switches that block certain payments from going through (not sure, but I think it may be illegal in EU) as they are losing subscribers. Netflix have played about with product placement (and here), so I am guessing that might be their first choice route to go down if they needed to use advertising as an extra income. But as it stands, EU allows you to visit Turkey, buy a Netflix sub and move back to any EU country with that subscription (it doesn't have to be from the EU).

To anybody not having success, maybe try a few different VPNs and make a note of whatever one worked. Most will give at the very least 24 hours trial, so it should be plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I had to update my new Revolut card on my Turkish account. I kept getting asked for a Turkish phone number.

I just installed TunnelBear, changed to Cyprus on my phone, went incognito in chrome, logged into Netflix and was able to update card with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Sparko

Thank you, I've been struggling to change my payment details for weeks through various different methods but this one worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Yep for me too. I was signed into my VPN to Canada and gave it a try - had been asked for Turkish phone number multiple times up to now but this way accepted my backup card no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm getting stuck with the "there might be a problem with your card", any ideas here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Are you using incognito? I just used my normal browser this time but have seen that come up on incognito before.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Westport Covies

So i have this on my phone, laptop, work laptop, firestick, kids two phones, kids two laptops, house pc, and tv in my house and on an xbox in another flat where i stay for work..

Do ye think they'll nail me on the flat? It gets used about 4 times a year..

My parents tv also.. they use it all of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I'm over in South America at the moment with the in-laws and my Turkish Netflix won't work here. Used to work with Surfshark VPN but lately Netflix has been detecting the VPN and not playing.

We were using my brother in law's Netflix login, he lives in the same city here. Netflix tried looking for extra money for password sharing and then signed us out of the account when we didn't agree to it.

Pretty lousy form from Netflix considering my European Prime Video account works here no problems with no need for any VPN. This kind of fúckery and heavy price increases and the glut of streaming services are just going to drive people back to pirating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This is my question: How do they know you aren't the subscribers son logging into your own TV/PS5/Phone which you have in another house tonight (brought it to a mates/hotel etc) and have full right to use the account, it's not password sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I would imagine that at least a few times a year such users would use the account/profile at the same IP.

Profiles that are never used at the same IP would show a red flag.

Advertisement