Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire 7” and 8” Kids Edition Tablets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Was going to get one for kids but saw Adrian weckler say it’s crap and £29 is about a fair price for it.

I assume you are referring to just the 7” tablet and not the whole Kids Edition package. My 3 kids love it so I would argue that they would be the target audience and not Adrian Weckler....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Hi all, looking to buy the Amazon Fire 8".
    Can anyone tell me specifically what restrictions there are on the "Fire For Kids Unlimited" subscription for Irish users? And what functionality does the tablet have once the subscription expires (and not renewed)?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I know about using Parcel Motel etc. to get around the 'does not ship to Ireland' bit, but how does the 'if they break it, return it and we'll replace it for free' bit work ??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I know about using Parcel Motel etc. to get around the 'does not ship to Ireland' bit, but how does the 'if they break it, return it and we'll replace it for free' bit work ??

But they do ship Kindles here so why even bother only if it's just for one day shipping on Prime ?

Berty wrote: »
    But they do ship Kindles here so why even bother only if it's just for one day shipping on Prime ?

On all the Kindle Kids Editions its coming up as 'Does not ship to Ireland' , for me at least.

Regular Kindles are not showing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Kat1170 wrote: »

Send it through An Post if it breaks and Amazon will refund the postage cost. Had to replace 3 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Was going to get one for kids but saw Adrian weckler say it’s crap and £29 is about a fair price for it.

Other half's tablet broke a week ago they've been using the kids fire. Disaster for a grown up to use, when used to proper android

For a young kid it's perfect, they know no different. They don't even realise the child's profile is so locked down. That said my 8 year old is definitely starting to moan about not having full access to YouTube, but she still uses it quite happily when having the option of that or nothing

So bar the charge port issue it really is perfect for kids but that said I've decided I won't be buying another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

__..__ wrote: »
    Wait til your kids get used to the apps and then you have to pay for them after the free period. :)

How much is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Did anyone successfully install google play on this? Have tried but failed to do so from links in the thread about the adult version. Downloaded 4 APKs but can't get them to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Looking for an entry level tablet for parents to use for browsing on net. Haven't found the Kindle fire the most user friendly so wondering what other tablets out there people would recommend at good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

allimac wrote: »
    Did anyone successfully install google play on this? Have tried but failed to do so from links in the thread about the adult version. Downloaded 4 APKs but can't get them to install.
    There's a guide on howtogeek.com on how to get the full Google app store on Fire devices. Sorry haven't got the URL handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hi all, looking to buy the Amazon Fire 8".
    Can anyone tell me specifically what restrictions there are on the "Fire For Kids Unlimited" subscription for Irish users? And what functionality does the tablet have once the subscription expires (and not renewed)?
    Thanks!

I bought 2 of the fire hd 8 kids edition tablets but can't get the unlimited subscription working properly. Are these locked down to not work properly here?
    When in the kids profile, apps/books/characters part won't make any suggestions, although it will show ones you have manually downloaded and shared to the kids. Am I doing something wrong?

Never mind, sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

coco0981 wrote: »
    Never mind, sorted now

was it much hassle to get it sorted? I've ordered one for a Christmas present and slightly worried that it will be tricky to get the fire kids set up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I found the Play Store set up to be a simple task and should be for anybody. There's 4 things to install and must be installed in order. If you forget to select the settings option to allow installs from third parties the first install you click will send you straight there to tick the box and then you can just press the BOX button to switch apps back(the light up button the bottom of the tablet, the one on the right- I just called it the box button because it's box shaped) to the Install and continue one install at a time.

Boom, it's done. I did 2 Tablets on Monday previous. One 7 and one 8HD.

I also suggest updating the tablet soon afterwards. There was an update for each of them but i had to go into settings to get the Tablet to search for it. You don't need to but why not start on the most up to date Software I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Berty wrote: »
    I found the Play Store set up to be a simple task and should be for anybody. There's 4 things to install and must be installed in order. If you forget to select the settings option to allow installs from third parties the first install you click will send you straight there to tick the box and then you can just press the BOX button to switch apps back(the light up button the bottom of the tablet, the one on the right- I just called it the box button because it's box shaped) to the Install and continue one install at a time.

Boom, it's done. I did 2 Tablets on Monday previous. One 7 and one 8HD.

I also suggest updating the tablet soon afterwards. There was an update for each of them but i had to go into settings to get the Tablet to search for it. You don't need to but why not start on the most up to date Software I say.
    if you're gonna be sideloading apps that Amazon prefer that you don't (like the play store) it's probably best to turn off automatic updates because you never know when they'll bring an update that will make it much harder to customise the tablet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Send it through An Post if it breaks and Amazon will refund the postage cost. Had to replace 3 :o

Lucky for you, We've just had one fail because of a charging port issue.
    Went to the post office, "Oh you can't send that, it's got a battery..."
    FFS!

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Lucky for you, We've just had one fail because of a charging port issue.
    Went to the post office, "Oh you can't send that, it's got a battery..."
    FFS!

I 'think' you can send stuff to the UK with Parcel Motel, not 100% sure but worth checking out, alternatively just don't tell An Post what it is.

Chieftain wrote: »
    was it much hassle to get it sorted? I've ordered one for a Christmas present and slightly worried that it will be tricky to get the fire kids set up

No once I had a read of this thread it was easy. Make sure your Amazon address and account are set to UK.

Haven't set up play store yet through. Didn't do my research properly before buying them and the lack of inbuilt YouTube kids app is a big drawback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No once I had a read of this thread it was easy. Make sure your Amazon address and account are set to UK.

Haven't set up play store yet through. Didn't do my research properly before buying them and the lack of inbuilt YouTube kids app is a big drawback

Just set up the playstore now working off the phone onto the fire.
    Works perfectly.
    Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

I too got one for Christmas present. So just make up a UK address?

Thanks

wizardman wrote: »
    I too got one for Christmas present. So just make up a UK address?

Thanks

just use a parcel motel address as your main address on Amazon, that's what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Has anyone a way of getting the videos to work on it? Have it set up as UK & my amazon default address is UK,, but any video/series I click on says something like 'video unavailble' Would a proxy/vpn do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I just set up the two I bought for Christmas. I got a message saying that the free kids subscription couldn’t be activated. Customer support said it’s because I’m not in the UK. Am I missing something? How did ye get it to work?

Chieftain wrote: »
    Has anyone a way of getting the videos to work on it? Have it set up as UK & my amazon default address is UK,, but any video/series I click on says something like 'video unavailble' Would a proxy/vpn do the trick

A VPN might work but I've never used one (on a tablet/phone). We just disabled all the videos and installed Netflix.

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I just set up the two I bought for Christmas. I got a message saying that the free kids subscription couldn’t be activated. Customer support said it’s because I’m not in the UK. Am I missing something? How did ye get it to work?

Make sure your Kindle shop is set to UK and change your default address on Amazon to UK, give it an hour and try it then.

Loads of info in this thread too
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057508095

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

SachaJ wrote: »
    Make sure your Kindle shop is set to UK and change your default address on Amazon to UK, give it an hour and try it then.

Loads of info in this thread too
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057508095

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

DarkBlonde wrote: »

Used ipvanish to get all content working. Just have to allow it in the child profile and switch it on from there. Also put play store on so have all working now. Great purchase. Well done santa. Just wondering how to get the you tube kids into the child profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Is it possible when you power up the tablet to open directly into kids profile?

I'm going to try a free VPN and see will it work for the videos.

Advertisement