Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire 7” and 8” Kids Edition Tablets

Options
  • 26-10-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

As with this time last year, the Amazon Kids Edition Tablets are on sale. They were not reduced for Black Friday I think so now is the best time to buy (I did this time last year).

7” is now £79.99 (£20 off)
    8” is now £99.99 (£30 off)

The 8” looks worth the extra £20. Shipping to Parcel Motel etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

who is the kids version double the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    who is the kids version double the price?

All the information is on the Amazon site!

Basically:
    2 year “if they break it, we’ll replace it” warranty
    Bumper case
    1 year subscription to their kids content so loads of free apps
    Kid friendly UI

Worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Is there any issues with using the Kids version n Ireland?

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

thecivvie wrote: »
    Is there any issues with using the Kids version n Ireland?

Wait til your kids get used to the apps and then you have to pay for them after the free period. :)

The videos don’t work but everything else does. I disabled the videos but installed Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

My son broke his 4 times over last 2 years :eek:, replaced by amazon with no questions asked. Its worth the price if your child is young. My son was 2 when he got his.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do these get any cheaper during the Black Friday sales or is this as cheap as they got last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bk wrote: »
    Do these get any cheaper during the Black Friday sales or is this as cheap as they got last year?

Argos had them cheaper a while back we got one for €30 something

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Gatling, you sure you are talking about the kids versions at €30 something? I tracked these for a good bit and never saw them below the prices the OP has listed. I think you may be talking about the non kids versions which you can pick up around half the price which would make more sense.

SachaJ wrote: »
    The videos don’t work but everything else does. I disabled the videos but installed Netflix.

What about YouTube kids?

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly these were not reduced for Black Friday last year. This is as cheap as they get.

__..__ wrote: »
    What about YouTube kids?

Nope. I couldn’t figure a way to get YTK onto it.

Nope. I couldn’t figure a way to get YTK onto it.

I would be killed if I got something for the kids that couldnt do youtube kids :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't gotten one yet, will be ordering one. But there is a slightly involved way to side load the Google Play Store onto these devices and thus install youtube kids or any other app on them. Details here:

https://www.techjunkie.com/youtube-for-kids-kindle-fire/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Didnt see the deal on amazon is it finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

8 inch now 89.99
    7 inch now 69.99

I'd be all over the 8" at that price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

I'd be all over the 8" at that price.....

Yep just ordered one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Me too bargain price, bought the 8" normal one last year as a Christmas present and they're great for the kids. Hence the need for a new one from Santa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

__..__ wrote: »
    What about YouTube kids?

So dangerous, don't put it on. I took it off both of mine. The content might look child friendly because it's animated. But it's not.

After I took it off, I read an article people are targeting it because they know kids use it. Sad but true :-(

Have a look at it you'll see the vids look harmless but next thing Sponge Bob is on the ground in a pool of blood with his head chopped off...

While I'm glad it's shut him up. It's not great for a 3 year old to see

• Advertisement

Anyone having charge port issues on the newer ones? One of my two has gone back to Amazon 4 times under warranty, the charge port stopped working. I really should have sent the second one back before it expired.

To charge them now, I've to lean them up against a wall. Anyone seeing that on the newer ones?

I might replace one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

ImARebel wrote: »
    Anyone having charge port issues on the newer ones? One of my two has gone back to Amazon 4 times under warranty, the charge port stopped working. I really should have sent the second one back before it expired.

To charge them now, I've to lean them up against a wall. Anyone seeing that on the newer ones?

I might replace one...

Order a wsken or similar magnetic cable with new items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I might replace one...

I might replace one...

Android devices seem to be absolutely plagued with this issue. A variety of my families Moto phones less then a year old have had the same issue, two Moto g4's etc.

Such a pain, you need to replace them about once a year!

I've found that the Amazon microUSB cables that are supplied with the tablets are crap. I've bought a 5 pack of both Anker and Aukey and they are far better quality.

mikeysmith wrote: »

I did that, didn't work unfortunately. The port is so wobbly that the magnetic port just falls out and doesn't stay at the right angle to charge it

It's a deal breaker for me on the kindles, no matter what the price. the kids have kept their in pretty good nick (I told them they wouldn't be replaced just like that) and despite that I'm looking at replacing both, even though they are both perfect bar the charge port.

I've changed the charge port on a few items before. i think I might do some googling and see how easy it is on the kindles

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgeaney

I regret ever getting a tablet for my 5 year old from Santa. He spends so much time on it over the last couple of years. It has become a source of friction. It's also very hard to monitor what they are doing on it.

cgeaney wrote: »
    I regret ever getting a tablet for my 5 year old from Santa. He spends so much time on it over the last couple of years. It has become a source of friction. It's also very hard to monitor what they are doing on it.

You can get wifi routers that monitor everything that is done on them and which records and limits how much time a day the device is used.

cgeaney wrote: »

That's one thing the kindles are great for. Set up the child profile, set the limits and that's it. no more about it then.once it's off it's off and it leaves the child nowhere to go as they don't be long realising that it's the kindle is doing it not mammy or daddy... it's set by a random stranger in my kids eyes, I never bothered to correct them :D

Also you can completely lock it down, they only see what you want them to see. it takes a bit of time but it's definitely worth doing.

just to note I didn't buy the kindles for kids, i just bought the ordinary one and set up the profiles myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Was going to get one for kids but saw Adrian weckler say it’s crap and £29 is about a fair price for it.

Advertisement