Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's dangerous alright. Good luck getting the council to clear that off. Lots of gravel and even hardened lumps of cement from cement trucks are left on roads and hard shoulder and never removed. One lump of cement northbound from Enniskerry over 6months now, plus the mess and gouged surface outside former hotel.

They don't even cut back grass verges that creep on to footpaths, cycle lanes and even roads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was down there today over lunch. No issues with debris but surface feels very greasy after the rain and road markings very slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Came down stocking lane earlier this morning, its a lot cleaner now so looks like someone was out clearing the stones away at the Hellfire club.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

Going north on the n11, the hard shoulder on the slip Road for the fassaroe exit has been blocked off. It makes things a bit dodgy when you need to exit there before the motorway starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone experience a puncture on the Dublin quays around the James Joyce Bridge coming into Stoneybatter?

On Tuesday evening this week I was cycling home from work along the quays and had that niggling feeling that my back tyre was starting to deflate. Managed to get it home and I did indeed have a puncture.

Really weirdly though, the exact same thing happened to my partner yesterday, a day later. She was cycling home, got to that point on the quays and also ended up with a flat (far more aggressive one)

Interestingly, she said that when her tyre started deflating, she noticed another person with what looked like the same issue pushing their bike on the path ahead.

We both have anti puncture tyres and the holes themselves when I was checking the tubes were tiny pin pricks. Must be something along the road at that spot, so might be worth avoiding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The wet weather allows crap to build up on the roads and then some of it can stick to tyres and eventually cause a puncture

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Indeed! I was thinking there must be something on the road there at that specific spot for two people to have the same puncture a day apart from each other at the same location.

Might also be a coincidence, seems unlikely though. First puncture either of us has had this year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The R122 north towards oldtown is covered in mud for about 2km halfway between the broadmeadow and oldtown. Avoid if you don't have mudguards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Now I know that river is called the Broadmeadow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

not the road ....but the cycle path on the N4 N side (easterly dir.) is covered in woody hedge trimmings from Lucan to Kings hosp, i use the bus lane in the mornings but this path on the way home ( today prob use the bus lane westerly dir?? from the foxhunter) or will it be swept by then ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Clonkeen road outbound, from about halfway along the cycle lane as far as the N11 is full of nails. Don't think it's malicious. Looks like a box fell off something. AVOID

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it had been a year since i last tried it, and i gave this segment a go today; and it's somehow noticeably worse than it was the last time. probably the worst road surface i know of anywhere on my usual stomping grounds. i punctured on it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I went up Bellewestown from Bellewestown bridge past Kilsaran quarry.

Some pretty nasty potholes for any descending it.....

Not difficult to miss, but at forde de fyne - the bottom of the hill between fourknocks and the oldtown - naul road - there are a few wheelbuster potholes now. Possibly if they filled with water on a rainy day and you were not paying attention, they could give you a nasty shock.

Hill of Skryne.

Descending off the North toward Lismullen. Council have eh "fixed" some potholes with what appears to be just grit.

Had a bit of a slip of a slow right hander.

Wicklow County Council have given notice of their upcoming road dressing starting in june. A few roads I cycle on sometimes are on the list :-(

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/wicklow-district/roads-surface-dressing-works-in-wicklow-district-to-commence-in-june/a1983129318.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

FFS. It seems like some of the roads they did last year are just after settling down in the last couple of months. I'll be raging if they're at it again near me!

Speaking of Wicklow and s***e roads - they're resurfacing southbound on the N11 after Kilmac up to start of Glen of the Downs at the moment - shocking surface so if you have an alternative option I'd take it.

There is a mound of gravel and sand on the road descending down from luggala. Its just before the car park they were using for filming. It's in a very dodgy location

Just for those not local.

The bridge over the boyne at Oldbridge (Battle of the Boyne) is closing next week for a year.

It's a nice old detour on the bike if you don't know it's closed!!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/louth/drogheda-news/traffic-solutions-sought-as-obelisk-bridge-in-louth-set-to-close-for-ten-months/a524309182.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The N11 heading south cycle lane by Cherrywood has a ridiculous amount of glass on it, I had a feeling this morning I picked up a slow puncture but went down to my bike there and have punctures on the front and back. Taxi home for me.

Post edited by McGrath5 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks, good to know... bus lane for me so! Is it before St. Laurence's School or between there and the flyover bridge? Cos I usually hop off into the main traffic lanes to go straight ahead under the bridge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I should be more specific, it’s between the Circle K and the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cruagh road has a load of gravel, stones, pebbles and twigs on it, mainly the upper half before the bridge and the glencullen junction. Its probably grand going up, but was hairy enough for me coming down it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looked like they were about to chip and tar another section of the Kilmac - Roundwood Road this morning. It won't be long bedding in, but for the next day or so could need a bit of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I'm sure most know by now but Wicklow gap both sides have been chipped very recently. Was a long hard slog up it at the weekend. Saw two lads with a foot clipped out sliding down it. Didn't look like fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I did it from Hollywood side yesterday and it wasn't awfully bad. The descent to Laragh was OK, not great but not what I'd consider dodgy. If you were coming the other way it's probably a bit rougher alright descending, but going up was alright.

I never understood the road engineering of dumping loose gravel on a road but twas ever thus. Another few days of traffic to tamp it down or disperse it into the weeds and should improve it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Gravel in the middle of the road towards the bottom end of Monastery Road coming into Enniskerry. Could catch you out on the last few corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't blame the leg no mo. It's the rest of me is all out of shape now!! 😁

Advertisement