Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg pressing, what is it good for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    So you are saying you can not develop your legs "naturally" with the help of a leg press?

I didn't say that. I said you can't simply take one person's methods and apply them to yourself. This is especially true of a professional body building.

You said:
    Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Stan Efferding is an advocate for the leg press thats good enough for me!

I disagree with this rationale.
    For what its worth after my 2 ACL ops the leg press was an excellent recovery tool and helped to get some lost muscle mass back on my quads!
    On my first op i solely used the leg press for 4 months until i braved going back into the squat rack!
    On the second op i managed to have a much better starting point to recover from. My leg was a lot stronger from squatting and leg pressing weekly before the dreaded snap so i was squatting with a barbell much quicker!
    I think the leg press is a decent tool in the box to help grow some muscle!

I think it's a tool. An inferior tool.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »

You'd find most bodybuilders would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've been bodybuilding for about 15 years and squats and deadlifts were always my favorite exercises. Loved them and made me feel powerful. But had a bad injury which basically prevents me from doing either of them. Nothing to do with form. No matter how perfect I'd be fighting through pain and would pay for it for days after.

Anyways leg press now replaces any type of squat. And I'm amazed at how much my legs have grown. They've literally blown up bigger than I've ever had them. I'd never leg pressed and always held the opinion of them being vastly inferior to squats. But now I believe squats are just a more effective way to achieve the results. I probably need to spend way more time leg pressing to achieve the same results. But that's exactly what is happening now. I can move much more weight with the leg press. Over double my squat weight. I recover quicker inbetween sets. I can do higher volume. I change my foot position to target different areas. And I also do more single leg work using the leg press too. If I spent an hour squatting over the course of a week previously. I probably spend 90 mins doing leg presses now.

I've also being doing a lot of heavy prowler work which might help too. But the leg press has been the fundamental part of getting my quads bigger than they've ever been in maybe 13 years of serious disciplined bodybuilding. Took me 2 to work out some kinks. So don't knock the leg press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I didn't say that. I said you can't simply take one person's methods and apply them to yourself. This is especially true of a professional body building.

You said:

I disagree with this rationale.

I disagree with your rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was this based on advice or prescribed rehab? I have rehabbed from 2 knee surgeries, the golden rule seems to be spending a huge amount of time with one foot on the floor. Build's the stabilising muscles and focuses on the correct motor pattern.
    Self-rehab at the minute. Seeing a surgeon next week and then prob physio. Will adjust as necessary.
    Stability work will be next. But first I wanted to make sure that I was able to move through the full ROM comfortably. Leg press was the best way to do that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You'd find most bodybuilders would disagree with you.

Yes. I would.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement