Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg pressing, what is it good for?

Options
  • 14-10-2017 1:31am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I like this :)

I totally get that it's a legit exercise on the leg press machine, but it still really annoys me when I see people doing them for some reason :pac::pac::D

(Maybe because I literally have never done a single calf exercise in my life :o:o)

A leg press is perfect for calf raises. It's probably the best use for a leg press actually. A leg press is inferior to squatting in every way.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Brian? wrote: »
    A leg press is perfect for calf raises. It's probably the best use for a leg press actually. A leg press is inferior to squattinf in every way.

I agree, but why not do both (depending on your goals)?. I find the leg press a useful assistance exercise for some extra volume alongside squats. As I said, I totally get the reason for using the machine to do calf raises, I think it's just my own personal anti-calf exercise bias :D Like when I see people doing calf raises in the squat rack it also annoys me. Down with calves :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I agree, but why not do both (depending on your goals)?. I find the leg press a useful assistance exercise for some extra volume alongside squats. As I said, I totally get the reason for using the machine to do calf raises, I think it's just my own personal anti-calf exercise bias :D Like when I see people doing calf raises in the squat rack it also annoys me. Down with calves :p

A leg press isn't really an assistance execise to squats thoigh. It's a mimicry of a squat. But that's just my opinion, man.

Calf raises are a vanity exercise, i like having nice calfs.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 39,050 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are genuine reasons to use the leg press. But "squat volume" wouldn't be one of them imo.

Had a good week in the gym. Nothing annoying happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

A leg press isn't really an assistance execise to squats thoigh. It's a mimicry of a squat. But that's just my opinion, man.

Calf raises are a vanity exercise, i like having nice calfs.

It isnt even a minicry.The fact your sitting down changes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A leg press isn't really an assistance execise to squats thoigh.

Out if interest - and this may just be getting into semantics - but why do you not think the leg press can be used for assistance work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mellor wrote: »
    There are genuine reasons to use the leg press. But "squat volume" wouldn't be one of them imo.

Had a good week in the gym. Nothing annoying happened.

I actually didn't mean squat volume (i.e. I don't see them as "extra squats" or a substitute) I meant extra sets/volume for legs generally as I tend to do sets of 10-15, rather than lower reps like with squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I don't know why, I assume it's a bit more risky to do calf raises on a leg press as your toes are on the edge of the plate therefore more risk of slipping and hurting yourself?

I'm using it as an accessory exercise to strengthen my weaker leg.

Out if interest - and this may just be getting into semantics - but why do you not think the leg press can be used for assistance work?

You can, but what's it going to really achieve? Why would you need to do a second bilateral, quad dominant exercise along with squats? If you decide there is a genuine reason to do so, why would you pick a machine that forces the movement into a fixed plane?

Machines are grand for isolation work, if needed.

they/them/theirs

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I don't know why, I assume it's a bit more risky to do calf raises on a leg press as your toes are on the edge of the plate therefore more risk of slipping and hurting yourself?

Maybe. It's unlikely though.

I'm using it as an accessory exercise to strengthen my weaker leg.

Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats and lunges would be better options.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

cloudatlas wrote: »
    You leave the safety lock on when you're using the leg press for calf raises so it can't slip down more than a few inches.

• Advertisement

You can, but what's it going to really achieve? Why would you need to do a second bilateral, quad dominant exercise along with squats? If you decide there is a genuine reason to do so, why would you pick a machine that forces the movement into a fixed plane?

Machines are grand for isolation work, if needed.

Because the movement or portion of the movement you want to work on is in a fixed plane?

Because the movement or portion of the movement you want to work on is in a fixed plane?

Examples?

they/them/theirs

Examples?

I have used it as an accessory with a range of motion as the leg drive at the start of a deadlift.

It had a low tariff in terms of fatigue and I didnt expect any carryover but it was for some direct work on the muscles used in the leg drive.

That's what accessory work is about as distinct from supplementary/complementary exercises...well, in how I categorise exercises I do.

I have used it as an accessory with a range of motion as the leg drive at the start of a deadlift.

It had a low tariff in terms of fatigue and I didnt expect any carryover but it was for some direct work on the muscles used in the leg drive.

That's what accessory work is about as distinct from supplementary/complementary exercises...well, in how I categorise exercises I do.

Hmm. I'm not convinced. However I shall be splitting this discussion off into a new thread, as it's off topic here. Give me a few hours to get on a latop and tidy up.

they/them/theirs

BOOOOOM

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The leg press is a good exercise, not sure why it gets hate.
    You can do a load of volume on your quads in a relatively safe manner without worrying about form breaking down due to fatigue.
    I throw in a set or two of 20 reps after squat work or anytime I feel like it.
    Sometimes my body is F-ed up from football or life, don't feel like squatting but should do some legs... Leg press to the rescue.
    ...my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 39,050 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I leg pressed this week. Rehab.
    Felt more comfortable working with a fixed plane rather than a free movement. But the goal is really to regain stability, so will have to progress to free weights.
    You can do a load of volume on your quads in a relatively safe manner without worrying about form breaking down due to fatigue.
    Form can still break down on leg presses. It's just easy to continue repping with ****ty form - not necessarily a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I always used to call the leg press the ego press as I couldn't really see how it was useful for anything more than getting better at the leg press.
    Then I seen an Andy Bolton training video, where after doing some low rep low volume deadlifts, his first exercise that he did for more that a couple of reps per set was the leg press.
    That made me reconsider my opinion and copy it for a while and I found it was actually good for 2 things

1. Helping develop sheer brute force without having to be conscious of technique e.g. when your lower back has tired to the point you cannot exert maximal force on deadlifts but your legs are still good to go.

2. Just getting the reps in. Alot of the options for this such as split squats I personally hate, there's an element of balance to them, I use less weight so there's less carryover a and if you want to go to near failure the second leg never gets the same intensity as the 1st leg, that's probably a personal thing as I do hate that stuff

2. Just getting the reps in. Alot of the options for this such as split squats I personally hate, there's an element of balance to them, I use less weight so there's less carryover a and if you want to go to near failure the second leg never gets the same intensity as the 1st leg, that's probably a personal thing as I do hate that stuff

Unilateral leg work is important as well though. I've found split squats, lunges and step ups great for reducing imbalances. They're not obvious until you do them but then they become very apparent. So I wouldn't really be a fan of using the leg press, even using it for single leg work, as a substitute for single leg work with free weights.

As for the leg press, I would mostly be inclined to use it at the start of a hypertrophy block of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

As the weight goes up for me I can't squat as low, really for fear of getting stuck in the hole, which I would. I assume this is normal anyway for the average joe(im no clarence). Would this be useful for practicing getting out of the hole with more weight? Or maybe the standing squat machine(i may have made that name up), like a leg press only you're standing?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    As the weight goes up for me I can't squat as low, really for fear of getting stuck in the hole, which I would. I assume this is normal anyway for the average joe(im no clarence). Would this be useful for practicing getting out of the hole with more weight?

I don't think leg pressing helps with that fear of getting stuck in the hole. I totally get it....I think we've probably all been there at some stage...but it's a matter of confidence with the weight, more often than not, if that fear is the only reason you're cutting the depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I don't think leg pressing helps with that fear of getting stuck in the hole. I totally get it....I think we've probably all been there at some stage...but it's a matter of confidence with the weight, more often than not, if that fear is the only reason you're cutting the depth.

well i went down and got stuck a couple of weeks ago so I think its justified :D Its just annoying that I have to lower the weight by about 15kg to comfortably go ATG. I thought some added machine work while in that ATG position might help. Anyway, I know the answer is probably just keep squatting and maybe squat some more but wouldnt a shortcut be great

well i went down and got stuck a couple of weeks ago so I think its justified :D Its just annoying that I have to lower the weight by about 15kg to comfortably go ATG. I thought some added machine work while in that ATG position might help. Anyway, I know the answer is probably just keep squatting and maybe squat some more but wouldnt a shortcut be great

The majority of your work should be done between 65-85% or thereabouts anyway and IIRC, you're a runner so there's no need to max out with a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Unilateral leg work is important as well though. I've found split squats, lunges and step ups great for reducing imbalances. They're not obvious until you do them but then they become very apparent. So I wouldn't really be a fan of using the leg press, even using it for single leg work, as a substitute for single leg work with free weights.

As for the leg press, I would mostly be inclined to use it at the start of a hypertrophy block of training.

This is the part where I completely agree with you while sticking my fingers in my ears and go La La La because I REALLY hate single leg stuff!
    In fairness I do spot check for imbalances here and there and luckily enough it's never really an issue

This is the part where I completely agree with you while sticking my fingers in my ears and go La La La because I REALLY hate single leg stuff!
    In fairness I do spot check for imbalances here and there and luckily enough it's never really an issue

Sometimes it doesn't feel like much of an imbalance but you might notice split squats feel easier on one side than the other.

But then I did high box step ups and it was more obvious that there was an imbalance in the glute meds that I hadn't been aware of.

But yeah, I don't enjoy it either like I don't enjoy those first few weeks of high volume after peaking for a comp because it feels like I might die at any time during the 57 sets of squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Stan Efferding is an advocate for the leg press thats good enough for me!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Stan Efferding is an advocate for the leg press thats good enough for me!

There are many reasons why you may not be able to apply Stan's methods to yourself. The big one being chemical assistance.

they/them/theirs

As the weight goes up for me I can't squat as low, really for fear of getting stuck in the hole, which I would. I assume this is normal anyway for the average joe(im no clarence). Would this be useful for practicing getting out of the hole with more weight? Or maybe the standing squat machine(i may have made that name up), like a leg press only you're standing?

The solution to that is a stronger squat, not leg pressing. You could try paused squats at a lower weight to get used to being in the hole longer.

they/them/theirs

Mellor wrote: »
    I leg pressed this week. Rehab.
    Felt more comfortable working with a fixed plane rather than a free movement. But the goal is really to regain stability, so will have to progress to free weights.

Was this based on advice or prescribed rehab? I have rehabbed from 2 knee surgeries, the golden rule seems to be spending a huge amount of time with one foot on the floor. Build's the stabilising muscles and focuses on the correct motor pattern.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

There are many reasons why you may not be able to apply Stan's methods to yourself. The big one being chemical assistance.
    So you are saying you can not develop your legs "naturally" with the help of a leg press?
    For what its worth after my 2 ACL ops the leg press was an excellent recovery tool and helped to get some lost muscle mass back on my quads!
    On my first op i solely used the leg press for 4 months until i braved going back into the squat rack!
    On the second op i managed to have a much better starting point to recover from. My leg was a lot stronger from squatting and leg pressing weekly before the dreaded snap so i was squatting with a barbell much quicker!
    I think the leg press is a decent tool in the box to help grow some muscle!

Advertisement