Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muireann O'Connell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well shock horror that the today fm top brass have made another stupid decision. I know people who would only know of Muireann from her own show on today fm might have found her slightly grating but that wasn’t the right fit for muireann as the way today fm has gone and what they expected her to be didn’t show what she was good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Whatever people may say about Muireann O'Connell, she has quite a bit of broadcasting experience on the radio at this stage. The first station that I know of that she was involved with was Spin Southwest - she is from Limerick after all! She then switched to another (by then) Communicorp-owned station in Phantom. Murieann was a temporary presenter on Phantom while Alison Curtis was on maternity leave from the station. That is when I first heard her. I thought she was good on Phantom mixing chat with alternative-oriented music. After Alison returned to Phantom, Muireann was given a presenter slot on 98FM. From there she went to Today FM. Alison Curtis had returned to Today FM already at that stage!

I think it's safe to say that her next radio station, if she does look to go back to radio, will not be owned by Communicorp! All her stations that I know of to date were owned by them! If she wants to veer towards a more music-oriented role, how about FM104, Q102 or Radio Nova - I'm not sure what exactly is her music taste! On the other hand, if she was interested more in talk radio, she has a problem because Newstalk is owned by Communicorp! Maybe a talk show on a local station outside Dublin?

She still, presumably, has her 6'0Clock Show presenter role on Virgin Media One, so that is something to keep her going for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Sorry if this is a bit abrupt, but does anyone know what she was sacked for?? Also thought her tweet was a bit odd, who tells the whole world (ok country) that you were fired? Its such a horrible word to even admit to yourself never mind put it out there on twitter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit abrupt, but does anyone know what she was sacked for?? Also thought her tweet was a bit odd, who tells the whole world (ok country) that you were fired? Its such a horrible word to even admit to yourself never mind put it out there on twitter.

Low ratings and poor management of her by todayfm is prob why she was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

Loughc wrote: »
    Low ratings and poor management of her by todayfm is prob why she was fired.

She just wasn’t likeable. I couldn’t identify with her but Christ almighty I cannot tolerate the replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Pineapple1 wrote: »

She wasn't fired for any reasons- it was a shake up at the station, and they didn't have anywhere else to put her.
    Louise Duffy has also been fired, again, shakeup at Today FM, no other reasons.

I'm seeing very little positivity shown towards Mairead or Alison. Folks seem to HATE the announcement. (Muireann has been gracious to Mairead tho)
    I find Ronan more irritating than when My eczema decides to act up in hot weather.

Very poor decision by Today FM.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

She wasn't fired for any reasons- it was a shake up at the station, and they didn't have anywhere else to put her.
    Louise Duffy has also been fired, again, shakeup at Today FM, no other reasons.

I'm seeing very little positivity shown towards Mairead or Alison. Folks seem to HATE the announcement. (Muireann has been gracious to Mairead tho)
    I find Ronan more irritating than when My eczema decides to act up in hot weather.

Very poor decision by Today FM.

um - leave her where she was . I didn't think it was broke and needed fixing ... but there you go I was just a listener so what would I know ?

what are they shaking up? - I hope they wont forget to shake up Mario and remove him from sunday morning - show so boring (although i like Mario as a comedian and his impressions) - I turn over to iRadio when he is on Sunday mornings , and then over to Phil Cawley on Today FM after 2pm when Mario show is finished...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

swampy353 wrote: »
    As far as I remember, D'Arcy went off sick, joined RTE and mariead only found out when the news went public. Think there was a fair bit of anamosity between them by time D'Arcy went to rte

Mairead wasn't happy with being just a researcher on Ray's show so moved to become a producer on Ian Dempsey. She'd already left the show by the time Ray moved to RTE. If he had a petty issue with that then it's on him.

Amazing they go so quickly like that though - do they not have to work until their contract has run out , you know like in a normal job when you have to give notice.. even if your fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Amazing they go so quickly like that though - do they not have to work until their contract has run out , you know like in a normal job when you have to give notice.. even if your fired?

Nah, the risk of letting them work out their notice is too high.
    "Hey, we fired you, but we're going to let you stay on the air for the next two weeks. You won't say anything bad about us, will you?"

I was in a similar situation a long time ago. Rather than let me work out my month's notice, as I had suggested, the company paid me for the month and I only had to finish out the day I handed in my notice. I was on cloud nine all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, the risk of letting them work out their notice is too high.
    "Hey, we fired you, but we're going to let you stay on the air for the next two weeks. You won't say anything bad about us, will you?"

I was in a similar situation a long time ago. Rather than let me work out my month's notice, as I had suggested, the company paid me for the month and I only had to finish out the day I handed in my notice. I was on cloud nine all day.

I only heard of the phrase "gardening leave" in the last year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Well I thought she was great. Surprised Ronan has time to work with the new mansion and the multitude of children. I'm tuning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Getting fired has made Muireann far more liked here than when she was in the job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

pjohnson wrote: »
    Getting fired has made Muireann far more liked here than when she was in the job :pac:

If Today FM were replacing her with say, Anton Savage, or even Jenny Greene (I know she's with 2fm, but I needed a mostly liked presenter as an example) then folks might be more like 'well, they are the better presenter'.

Instead, it's Mairead 'My voice sounds like I should be selling pirated dvd's off the back of a van' Farrell/ Ronan/ McClure etc.
    She keeps failing into high profile gigs, for whatever bloody reason.
    A horrible presenter. Frankly. She's failed on TV, failed on radio, so of course she gets a high profile gig.

Ugghhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Wasn't a fan of Muireann "on the radio" AT ALL. But she does seem to be a nice person (and is much better IMO on da telly). Plus I'm not going to bash a fellow Limerick "kiiiiiiid", especially when I don't actually know the woman...

The decision to replace her with Mairead Ronan though? Christ almighty! Then again, Ryan Tubridy and Ray D'arcy are earning OBSCENE money on TV... and we all know how bad they are at their jobs. Anton Savage was made for that radio slot, and look what happened to him!

ah well.. the world keeps turning...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

i liked Muireann, very natural IMO. she won't be out of work for long. I can never understand these type of decisions. You could maybe understand if they were bringing in a big name top presenter. Mairead stood in for Muireann a few months back and i thought she was woeful. Boring and slow and in no way any good i thought. Prob switch over to some other station now after dermot and dave. even though the choice is getting smaller and smaller by the day. wait for the 1 o'clock news and joe duffy i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads don't start wondering about these DJ's and their "musical tastes". Today FM is a commercial pop station so it doesn't matter who is presenting what show. It will be the same bland sh*te like Ed Sheeran, Kodaline or Gavin James that will be playing on repeat through out the day.
    I'd say not one of these DJ's have any say in what music gets played.... there's a list of 30 songs... make sure you play at least 15 of them through your show.
    Irish radio is poor enough...It won't make a difference if it's Muireann or Mairead, it's the same circus with different clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭thesultan

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads don't start wondering about these DJ's and their "musical tastes". Today FM is a commercial pop station so it doesn't matter who is presenting what show. It will be the same bland sh*te like Ed Sheeran, Kodaline or Gavin James that will be playing on repeat through out the day.
    I'd say not one of these DJ's have any say in what music gets played.... there's a list of 30 songs... make sure you play at least 15 of them through your show.
    Irish radio is poor enough...It won't make a difference if it's Muireann or Mairead, it's the same circus with different clowns.
    Talks of her going on with daithi and maura
    . She has the best legs on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Instead, it's Mairead 'My voice sounds like I should be selling pirated dvd's off the back of a van' Farrell/ Ronan/ McClure etc. She keeps failing into high profile gigs, for whatever bloody reason. A horrible presenter. Frankly. She's failed on TV, failed on radio, so of course she gets a high profile gig.

Welcome to Ireland!

trying to abstain from being nasty but the one who they have on temporarily in Muireann's slot this week on TodayFM so far is desperate! , she hasn't got an ounce of Muireann's personality and excitement, and (IMO) is pretty dry and boring when she talks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Muireann got absolutely shafted for the TodayFM darling m Ronan, as soon as she won that dancing show it was a done deal, she is false and hateful, whether you liked muireann or not you can’t say she didn’t work hard TodayFM stinks

Muireann got absolutely shafted for the TodayFM darling m Ronan, as soon as she won that dancing show it was a done deal, she is false and hateful, whether you liked muireann or not you can’t say she didn’t work hard TodayFM stinks

which begs the question, did Muireann do something pretty serious or pee someone off there pretty bad to be let go or fired or whatever .. or is it really down to a 'shake up' at the station? - sometimes they do say there is no smoke without fire - she did come across nice on the radio and on TV but who knows what goes on behind studio doors???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

That's the nature of the business. It wouldn't surprise me if they always wanted another "personality" in that slot but weren't sure who. These are the same people who thought Al Porter was a radio presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

That's the nature of the business. It wouldn't surprise me if they always wanted another "personality" in that slot but weren't sure who. These are the same people who thought Al Porter was a radio presenter

Was the current CEO the CEO when he hired Al Porter, fired Al Porter and then hired Muireann O Connell?

If thats the case and the loss of listeners was the reason Muireann got sacked, then perhaps the CEO should consider his own position.

BPKS wrote: »
    Was the current CEO the CEO when he hired Al Porter, fired Al Porter and then hired Muireann O Connell?

If thats the case and the loss of listeners was the reason Muireann got sacked, then perhaps the CEO should consider his own position.

Yep , indeed some might say the buck stops right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

Before the haters start I am a woman but this is my opinion. I don’t like any of the women djs. They are all up their arse and looking to shove their opinions on you. I won’t listen to dr Ciara or Jenny Greene or Muireann or mairead. I will switch over or listen to a podcast. Well rid of her

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

She was one of the biggest head wreckers on Irish radio, and that's saying something......

which begs the question, did Muireann do something pretty serious or pee someone off there pretty bad to be let go or fired or whatever .. or is it really down to a 'shake up' at the station? - sometimes they do say there is no smoke without fire - she did come across nice on the radio and on TV but who knows what goes on behind studio doors???
    Think the fact she didnt have a hoard if kids . Wasnt moving into a mansion. And wasnt married to a multi millionaire may have gone against her. No worries I am so annoyed I'll never tune in again.

Think the fact she didnt have a hoard if kids . Wasnt moving into a mansion. And wasnt married to a multi millionaire may have gone against her. No worries I am so annoyed I'll never tune in again.

• Advertisement

Think the fact she didnt have a hoard if kids . Wasnt moving into a mansion. And wasnt married to a multi millionaire may have gone against her. No worries I am so annoyed I'll never tune in again. I've met her and she is a really nice genuine person.

Advertisement