Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella cinema Rathmines reopening after 12 years!

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

If somebody was on their phone would you be able to see it? People on their phones is the main reason I don't go to the cinema much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I was sitting in row E, about 5 rows from the front

I agree with this, I was 4 rows back and it was perfect, I wouldn't like to be sitting towards the back.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    If somebody was on their phone would you be able to see it? People on their phones is the main reason I don't go to the cinema much these days.

No, you actually can't see the person in front of you at all, the armchairs are so big they're hidden, so you definitely wouldn't see someones phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Are all the tickets 19 quid each!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

No, the balcony is cheaper, albeit sold as restricted view. They're €12. I don't know how restricted the view is, and some seats would presumably be better than others. I know they plan to work on the sightlines there, but they've not done so yet.

The thing is, it shouldn't be looked upon as a "normal" trip to the cinema. For most people, it would be a treat, or could be seen as on a par with going to the theatre, in terms of the frequency of visits. In other words, you're not necessarily going to go all the time.
    On a purely monetary basis, of course there's the argument that one month's Cineworld subscription (where you can see as many films as you want) is only a fraction more than it costs to see one film in the Stella, but I wouldn't actually take the view that "€19 is too expensive to see a film", as that oversimplifies the matter. There is no comparison to a normal cinema experience.
    I don't drink, so the lure of cocktails and beers and table service is not a selling point for me, as it may be for others. I just like the idea of a very nice environment, where (other than the novelty factor) everyone is there for the film, and the sense of personal space and comfort is exceptional.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Advertisement

No, the balcony is cheaper, albeit sold as restricted view. They're €12. I don't know how restricted the view is, and some seats would presumably be better than others. I know they plan to work on the sightlines there, but they've not done so yet.

The thing is, it shouldn't be looked upon as a "normal" trip to the cinema. For most people, it would be a treat, or could be seen as on a par with going to the theatre, in terms of the frequency of visits. In other words, you're not necessarily going to go all the time.
    On a purely monetary basis, of course there's the argument that one month's Cineworld subscription (where you can see as many films as you want) is only a fraction more than it costs to see one film in the Stella, but I wouldn't actually take the view that "€19 is too expensive to see a film", as that oversimplifies the matter. There is no comparison to a normal cinema experience.
    I don't drink, so the lure of cocktails and beers and table service is not a selling point for me, as it may be for others. I just like the idea of a very nice environment, where (other than the novelty factor) everyone is there for the film, and the sense of personal space and comfort is exceptional.

Hopefully yep, I'm going later so will report back. Although I'm not a fan of drinking in the cinema. Certainly looks the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Redtin

gmisk wrote: »
    Die hard was shown at Xmas in the lighthouse a few times, Jurassic park was also on their too. I think it's something like 8.50 to see a film before 5 if you are a member. I am also not sure I get the appeal of people clinking about with glasses etc while you are watching a film.

Wouldn't be too keen on people chomping and slurping their way through hot, and possibly smelly, food beside me either......

Really enjoyed it last night. Drinks are reasonably priced, seats are very comfortable. Lovely atmosphere.

Not a place to go see the new blockbuster in 16k and 10.1 ear bleeding surround sound but very nice. Great date night place. Missus loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

What are the toilets like? Far from the actually screen or in the same room? Do you have to brush past people/seats to get out or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What are the toilets like? Far from the actually screen or in the same room? Do you have to brush past people/seats to get out or what?

THere's a ladies and an accessible WC just outside the screen door (at there back). I used the accessible one, lovely, clean etc, nicely styled.

There were a few 8-10 year olds there at MOTOE today, weird given the movie and price. No ads, no trailers so if you show up late, you've missed part of it. Chestnut brown lounge chairs with moveable footrests, lots of room, raised tables between each seat. I'm 6'5"and near enough to 30 stone so if I had a comfortable seating position, I guess most would have. You can buy cocktails, beer and wine. The wine is from a tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Stella cinema has been placed on the protected structures list by dublin city council since its restoration ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

Does anybody know what the couch seats at the back of the ground floor are like (and not at the front)? Very hard to find a film without the front couch seats booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

really looking forward to going, my main problem is there's feck all on that I want to see. But like other posters have said it's more the experience than the film. A friend of mine went to see the Florida Project. Crap film but fantastic venue he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

cgcsb wrote: »
    But like other posters have said it's more the experience than the film.

The "experience"?? I can have the experience of sitting in a comfortable chair at home, there's nothing new about that.

I'd be utterly disappointed to spend 20 quid for the ticket alone only to see a crap movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well I'm waiting for a film I want to see. But of course the experience is what you're paying for. Most people under 40 can easily download the same films and chromecast them or hdmi link them to their TVs at home for free, but they pay for the experience non the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Wondering has anyone on here been to the Stella - is it worth a trip?

thejaguar wrote: »
    Wondering has anyone on here been to the Stella - is it worth a trip?

Definitely, I've been 3 times since it opened. I wouldn't bother going to see the latest blockbuster in it but I've been to see Casablanca and Blue Velvet (and a kids movie) and absolutely loved it. They've done an amazing job.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Galadriel wrote: »
    Definitely, I've been 3 times since it opened. I wouldn't bother going to see the latest blockbuster in it but I've been to see Casablanca and Blue Velvet (and a kids movie) and absolutely loved it. They've done an amazing job.

Went on Saturday night. Highly recommend a visit if anyone is thinking about it.

Agree with Galadriel - I wouldn't be going to see a blockbuster, it's not that kind of vibe. If that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I went to Superman (1978) there yesterday and it seemed to be a projected DVD. Not a Digital Cinema Package file or a 35mm print. Is this common practice for reissues? I was disappointed. Casablanca seemed to be a DCP, but I supposed that's arguably more readily available than Superman. Can anyone comment on any reissue screenings they have attended?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Marcusm wrote: »
    THere's a ladies and an accessible WC just outside the screen door (at there back). I used the accessible one, lovely, clean etc, nicely styled.

There were a few 8-10 year olds there at MOTOE today, weird given the movie and price. No ads, no trailers so if you show up late, you've missed part of it. Chestnut brown lounge chairs with moveable footrests, lots of room, raised tables between each seat. I'm 6'5"and near enough to 30 stone so if I had a comfortable seating position, I guess most would have. You can buy cocktails, beer and wine. The wine is from a tap.

- What about the Men's? 2 or 3 pints before a film and I'd expect at least one visit needed during a film. Would you be disturbing other Customer's or is it handy to get out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - What about the Men's? 2 or 3 pints before a film and I'd expect at least one visit needed during a film. Would you be disturbing other Customer's or is it handy to get out?

There's plenty of space to move past people's seats without disturbing them. However, the pouffes that people put their coats in to are really difficult to see and very easy to fall over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I see they've opened up a Diner now too. It's nice inside, nice decor (for a diner) and quite airy with high ceilings etc. The booths are nice and spacious which is a big plus for me.

I was in there for breakfast (eggs, sausages, home fries and ham) and can't say it was anything more than 'okay'. From the decor I expected higher quality food but I think they're going for an "authentic" diner vibe in terms of food on offer, i.e. it tasted like what I'd expect to be served in a ****ty diner off of some desert highway in the states, where the waitress has a fag in her mouth and the locals don't like 'your kind' around here. :)

Can't say I'd go back for breakfast, though if I did i'd probably opt for the pancake/waffle options.

Still haven't managed to justify €20 a ticket to see a movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pelvis wrote: »
    I see they've opened up a Diner now too. It's nice inside, nice decor (for a diner) and quite airy with high ceilings etc. The booths are nice and spacious which is a big plus for me.

I was in there for breakfast (eggs, sausages, home fries and ham) and can't say it was anything more than 'okay'. From the decor I expected higher quality food but I think they're going for an "authentic" diner vibe in terms of food on offer, i.e. it tasted like what I'd expect to be served in a ****ty diner off of some desert highway in the states, where the waitress has a fag in her mouth and the locals don't like 'your kind' around here. :)

Can't say I'd go back for breakfast, though if I did i'd probably opt for the pancake/waffle options.

“Okay” is praising it; the ingredients in the breakfast seem to be decent quality apart from the Brennan’s bread. However, the cooking standard is woeful. The streaky bacon they use is much thicker than US standard so they burn it black in a futile attempt to get it crispy. Likewise the sausage was cooked to a crisp on two sides in an attempt to get it cooked through.

There’s no reason for this to be a problem but as I’ve seen with Angeliba’s, the focus is on the ingredients and the menu but not the third leg of that stool - cooking competence.

Other dishes might be great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've noticed that in other Press Up locations. Huge skills shortage in the sector and nobody seems to be taking the nuclear "pay them loads" approach to get staff in/to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

L1011 wrote: »
    I've noticed that in other Press Up locations. Huge skills shortage in the sector and nobody seems to be taking the nuclear "pay them loads" approach to get staff in/to stay.

I've found that Press Up places tend to have fantastic fit out, but sub par (or average) food.

It's all about the style!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pelvis wrote: »

That doesnt sound great....
    TBH I have been to a few screenings and really enjoyed it (a quiet place, isle of dogs), nice quiet audiences, however the food in the cinema was bang average and expensive for what it was so wouldnt recommend it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Speedsie wrote: »
    I've found that Press Up places tend to have fantastic fit out, but sub par (or average) food.

It's all about the style!

Lots of style and no substance!
    That's being nasty maybe
    If I were being cruel I could say the company is the plaything of a wealthy man's son

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Anyone know what you need to pick up tickets at the kiosk? Credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Ref number from your email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

imme wrote: »
    Lots of style and no substance!
    That's being nasty maybe
    If I were being cruel I could say the company is the plaything of a wealthy man's son

I happen to think that Press Up have done a wonderful restoration of the Stella. The fit out & decor of Angelina's, Roberta's & Sophie's is wonderful, but the food in those locations doesn't live up to expectations. But i do like Wow burger.

Probably says more about me than Press Up!

Advertisement