Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella cinema Rathmines reopening after 12 years!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rathmines is a funny old place though.

+1.

I love the new concept but it has its limitations:
    Dundrum: Movie and Dinner
    Cineworld: Movie and Drinks
    Stella: Movie and a quiet night in probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I hope they do really well. They seem to have poured a fortune into it so fingers crossed for them. From the photos I've seen it's an amazing renovation/reimagining job. I love people with a bit of style and imagination.

Rathmines is a funny old place though. Still have plenty of odd characters/dodgy types who probably won't be frequenting it. There's obviously a huge population, but are they the right type of population. Fallon & Byrne were to open early 2017 in the Swan Centre, which o thought would drag the place up a few notches, but that seems to have stalled. Rathmines overall still a bit tippy.

Will look forward to checking it out anyway.

Fallon and Byrne seems to be under construction still though? I think its changed a lot for the better recently. Loads of new cafes opening like starbucks and Umi and copan and the cinema too. nice little gallery opened in an old red brick warehouse. I think rathmines has a cool kind of vibe..just because its not all perfect looking with expensive shops doesnt mean its not nice ! It has a lot of rich people living around it in Rathgar and ranelagh too I think who the cinema would probably be popular with

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ED E wrote: »
    +1.

I love the new concept but it has its limitations:
    Dundrum: Movie and Dinner
    Cineworld: Movie and Drinks
    Stella: Movie and a quiet night in probably.
    Perspective is funny. For me, Dundrum is awful. Hate being around the shopping centre at all. Cineworld? Kip. In every sense. Also, mobile screenpalooza during the movie every time I was there. Won't ever go back. Rathmines? Movie finishes and head across to the Bowery to see what band might be on.

In terms of the limitations you suggest, rathmines is actually relatively unlimited...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

endacl wrote: »
    Perspective is funny. For me, Dundrum is awful. Hate being around the shopping centre at all. Cineworld? Kip. In every sense. Also, mobile screenpalooza during the movie every time I was there. Won't ever go back. Rathmines? Movie finishes and head across to the Bowery to see what band might be on.

In terms of the limitations you suggest, rathmines is actually relatively unlimited...

Yeah, there are lots of places to go for a drink and food after the movie. I'd say it will do well as long as they do a good mix of classics and new movies, it will be a tough balancing act though with only one screen.

I would be more inclined to go purely for the classics as I can see the latest blockbuster anywhere.

endacl wrote: »

I completely agree! Rathmines has a nice buzz about it, without being hectic city centre. To me dundrum is just sterile, completely boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Hopefully the €19 ticket price will keep the teenagers and other gob****es out so that people who want to watch a film in peace can do so - happy to pay the extra when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I think its great for the area, new cinema, good range of restaurants and private businesses opening up to support the existing. I think the council need to do something about the paving from Bowery up to Tesco/Rathgar road. it needs a better finish and they need something to tidy it up. They had started down at the canal end and it seems to stop around Mary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It looks lovely...but 19 euro...yikes...will stick to the lighthouse I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gmisk wrote: »
    It looks lovely...but 19 euro...yikes...will stick to the lighthouse I think

People are happy enough to pay €17 to catch the latest Transformers p.o.s. in 3d Imax surrounded by fools checking their Facebook (or whatever the kids are into these days) constantly.

I know where I'd rather be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Pelvis wrote: »
    It won't be open very long with those prices.

People seem to forget that Dublin is quite a large and wealthy city. There are a lot of people with money to pay premium prices for stuff. Look at how well Fallon & Byrne does, look at the fact BTs has one of the largest/if not the largest Tiffany's in Europe, all the luxury homes in Dublin etc. People don't seem to realise that there is a sizeable wealthy minor in Dublin, who have little issue spending money

• Advertisement

People seem to forget that Dublin is quite a large and wealthy city. There are a lot of people with money to pay premium prices for stuff. Look at how well Fallon & Byrne does, look at the fact BTs has one of the largest/if not the largest Tiffany's in Europe, all the luxury homes in Dublin etc. People don't seem to realise that there is a sizeable wealthy minor in Dublin, who have little issue spending money

Yup. Look at the fancy cocktail bars all around south inner city selling drinks for 12-15 euro that are packed out the door on friday and saturday..plenty of people in dublin with more money than sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

€19 isn't that much really. You won't be going every week to watch the latest releases but let's be honest, Die Hard in December would be a sell out (don't know if it's going to be on).

Same with movies like Predator, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park etc. The people who grew up loving those movies are the ones with the disposable income.

Have they a website yet with listings?

Wheety wrote: »
    €19 isn't that much really. You won't be going every week to watch the latest releases but let's be honest, Die Hard in December would be a sell out (don't know if it's going to be on).

Same with movies like Predator, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park etc. The people who grew up loving those movies are the ones with the disposable income.

Have they a website yet with listings?
    Die hard was shown at Xmas in the lighthouse a few times, Jurassic park was also on their too. I think it's something like 8.50 to see a film before 5 if you are a member. I am also not sure I get the appeal of people clinking about with glasses etc while you are watching a film.

Birneybau wrote: »
    People are happy enough to pay €17 to catch the latest Transformers p.o.s. in 3d Imax surrounded by fools checking their Facebook (or whatever the kids are into these days) constantly.

I know where I'd rather be.
    That might be very true but I think they are targeting very different markets and demographics, I would think this place will skew a lot older than say cineworld (the kip).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'll definitely give this place a look but living on the other side of the county means I'll be driving there. My experience of parking in Rathmines is not great, so hopefully it won't be too much of a challenge of an evening.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'll definitely give this place a look but living on the other side of the county means I'll be driving there. My experience of parking in Rathmines is not great, so hopefully it won't be too much of a challenge of an evening.

Parking in Rathmines in the evening (except in Swan centre) would generally be more difficult than during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

pinkypinky wrote: »

Swan Centre parking is very reasonably priced in the evening time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

So what's the story then, webpage says tickets on sale from today...

https://stellatheatre.ie/

?

Pelvis wrote: »
    So what's the story then, webpage says tickets on sale from today...

https://stellatheatre.ie/

?

Yeah, I've been checking since 7am, they updated their Facebook page to say it will go live later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

It's live now. Going to head along on Friday for a gawk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This bed or couch option for €38, is that per person?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I've emailed them to ask if the €38 for a couch is per person.

Surely it's for 2? But it's not clear on the website.

[edit] Actually, it's pretty clear that €38 is for a two people. They're hardly going to force strangers to share a couch. There are very few of them anyway and they're all sold out for the 18:15 show next saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Saw some pics of the interior on FB: looks almost exactly like Electric Cinema in London, wonder if it’s the same operators or just ‘inspired by’?

That is so funny - I thought the exact same! My sister lives in Notting Hill & that's her cinema of choice. Similar price point, service etc. I hope it does well but I'm unlikely to travel for it, especially when the Lighthouse is on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Have booked for Murder on the Orient Express for next Sunday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The screen isn't massive, but it works fine. I was at Casablanca last night, admittedly only about a third of the way back, but it was perfect. I was impressed. You've a lot of space, almost like being in your own little pod. Even if you use the footstool, there's still room for people to get past. You kind of sink into the armchairs, so even though they're not especially high at the back, you don't get that effect of a lot of heads in front of you. In fact, when they started the film yesterday, it almost seemed like the rows in front of me were half empty, but they weren't. It's just that you couldn't see the people. You wouldn't go all the time, but it's definitely somewhere I'd go to on a reasonably regular basis, especially if they were showing good reissues, which seems to be a big part of their programme.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That sounds great. Did I read somewhere there is table service during films?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would the table service not get very annoying?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    That sounds great. Did I read somewhere there is table service during films?

i was there last night also, you have to order food and drink outside and then they bring it to you when the movie starts, I didn't find it annoying as there's no words exchanged as you have already paid etc. they just put the stuff on your table and go.

I really enjoyed the experience and I'll definitely be back, they've done an amazing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Eathrin wrote: »
    Would the table service not get very annoying?

As far as I can tell, they only deliver food during the start of the movie - so its not like you'll have staff wandering in front of you the whole movie.

Went to Ghostbusters last night and it was great - seats are very comfortable and the screen and sound were much better than I expected. I was sitting in row E, about 5 rows from the front - which was the perfect distance from the screen in my opinion.

Wont be going for every new movie but will definitely be going back, nice alternative to the usual.

Advertisement