Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella cinema Rathmines reopening after 12 years!

Options
  • 21-10-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

Grand opening Halloween night. Just thought Id put the word out because I wish the developer good fortunes from this as I really appreciate people redeveloping old historical strucutres and giving them a new lease of life.
    Its reopening as a cocktail bar and theatre showing classic movies and new releases. A lot of the old art deco features have been lovingly restored.
    Just thought Id put the word out if anyone is interested :)
    http://www.newstalk.com/PICTURES:-Dublins-Stella-Cinema-set-for-grand-reopening-this-Halloween

Dublin has lost some really amazing and unique theatres throughout the years, good to see one making a come back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It looks like they've done a great job with the place, but at €19 a ticket, I hope they're able to get the punters!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

VonLuck wrote: »
    It looks like they've done a great job with the place, but at €19 a ticket, I hope they're able to get the punters!

They'll have two regulars from this house anyway, if they get the movie choices and cocktails right. And if the other punters don't treat it as a pub with a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

VonLuck wrote: »

Oh I didnt hear anything about that..thats a bit discouraging :( I cant really afford that. Do you get a drink with itor something? Also whered you hear that?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Oh I didnt hear anything about that..thats a bit discouraging :( I cant really afford that. Do you get a drink with itor something? Also whered you hear that?
    It's been mentioned in every report. They're going for the 'cinema experience' market. There's a cheaper option across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

There is only one screen, I heard €19 a ticket also, no it doesn't include drink, at least I doubt it would.

Really looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

im guessing the seats are really roomy and the surroundings palatial, seat service sounds good!
    Would be a nice treat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Unless I misunderstood it, the bar is run by the same crowd as run VCC.

It's very much an experience. If you just want a cinema, go to the Omniplex.

If they wanted it to just be a cinema, they'd have crammed more seats in.

endacl wrote: »
    It's been mentioned in every report. They're going for the 'cinema experience' market. There's a cheaper option across the road.

It wasnt in the report I posted..
    Yeh 19 is just a lot though. I thought theyd just charge usual price and expect people to buy a drink or two along with it. Which I would gladly..paying tenner in and spending another 5 -10 on drinks would be fine by me.

I guess itd be nice for a once off like a birthday or something.

It wasnt in the report I posted..
    Yeh 19 is just a lot though. I thought theyd just charge usual price and expect people to buy a drink or two along with it.

To be fair, if you read the report you posted, you're getting a lot more than usual price just for usual service. So more than usual price is fair, even if it was just for bog standard cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gentrification for middle class hipsters by the sound of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

It looks amazing more like a theatre experience than a cinema. I'd happily pay the extra money for somewhere like this. Not near enough for us unfortunately but might still drop over the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gentrification... Erm it's closed over a decade.

That doesnt fit the bill.

If you meant restoration and restored to original use then yes.

But your initial assertion is not very valid

I'm not a big cinema person nor am I into anything that gets posted as being hipstery. But it's used as a pejorative term and I don't really see why it is here.

Nor do I see why pubs get the label just cos they serve craft beers. To each his own.

People will disagree and that's fine. Most labels are nonsense, that is all.

listermint wrote: »
    Gentrification... Erm it's closed over a decade.

That doesnt fit the bill.

If you meant restoration and restored to original use then yes.

But your initial assertion is not very valid

Well yes its restoration, but only for the enjoyment of people well within the middle class income bracket. So hes right.. but regardless its always nice to see a derelict building in good nick again. Im not complaining, but I agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Looks great. I wonder what sort of films they plan on showing? Normal films in a fancy setting? I like how the Lighthouse in Smithfield mixes things up with new releases and classics. But with just one screen this might not be possible. Will definitely check it out

Well yes its restoration, but only for the enjoyment of people well within the middle class income bracket.

Omniplex across the way if you just want to watch a film though

Hrududu wrote: »
    Looks great. I wonder what sort of films they plan on showing? Normal films in a fancy setting? I like how the Lighthouse in Smithfield mixes things up with new releases and classics. But with just one screen this might not be possible. Will definitely check it out

Says mix of classics and new releases.Which I think is fitting for the location without limiting audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I took a few pics during the open day last week, I was very impressed with the restoration.

22426353_10214685193425782_388744426434466487_o.jpg?oh=6ecce8d85f61a0c4f19c4bdfa3f10307&oe=5A67BE4E

22467693_10214685198905919_2423064249478397813_o.jpg?oh=462c6024553eb8f0e873372c26736e62&oe=5A75BB8E

22539012_10214685199665938_5281333506324249554_o.jpg?oh=d266060d34c46af664e56d65b9c87744&oe=5A84F989

22426341_10214685201425982_6697219704735096334_o.jpg?oh=3eb1169bfd2e50c112ebfb7de4bd2ffa&oe=5A7544BD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Was in the building myself. Brought back memories of my first cinema experience of going to see The Battle at Midway there in the mid 70s.
    Will definitely go to at least one movie there, if only for the nostalgia factor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember going to see films in the Stella in the 90s when I was a student. Great to see it reopen but €19 for just admisssion does seem a tad steep. I wish it well.

Anyone remember The Classic in Harold’s Cross? For yonks they showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now that was an experience!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

video via indo fb https://www.facebook.com/Independent.ie/videos/10155969001733470/

did I read it had ballroom aswell?

did I read it had ballroom aswell?
    Depends. How big are the balls in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Saw some pics of the interior on FB: looks almost exactly like Electric Cinema in London, wonder if it’s the same operators or just ‘inspired by’?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I saw the Exorcist there in the 90s - it was a total fleapit at the time :)

It looks amazing but I do wonder if they'll get enough footfall at €19 a pop in Rathmines - if it was in the City Centre it would have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Beds with blankets at the front, you know whats gonna happen there, looks great but the beds wtf? The last thing you want to be doing is having a couple riding in the front of the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It won't be open very long with those prices.

Pelvis wrote: »
    It won't be open very long with those prices.

Cinema is expensive anyway. The new Blade Runner cost me €12 and change there a couple of weeks ago. If they deliver the experience, I'd have no problem paying €19. Especially if they screen films I'll see nowhere else, or never thought I'd see on the big screen. It's only expensive in the context of the big standard multiplex. In the context of a night out it's a round of drinks and a bag of chips.

I'd say they'll do well. Best of luck to them.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    IAnyone remember The Classic in Harold’s Cross? For yonks they showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now that was an experience!:D
    Saw my first film there. Star Wars on its second release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I love it the scramble for tickets has started for the opening night and they aren't even on sale yet, some dude said he has a flight booked and all and is demanding to buy his two tickets :D

Hoping to get tickets myself but it will be a bit of a lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hope they do really well. They seem to have poured a fortune into it so fingers crossed for them. From the photos I've seen it's an amazing renovation/reimagining job. I love people with a bit of style and imagination.

Rathmines is a funny old place though. Still have plenty of odd characters/dodgy types who probably won't be frequenting it. There's obviously a huge population, but are they the right type of population. Fallon & Byrne were to open early 2017 in the Swan Centre, which o thought would drag the place up a few notches, but that seems to have stalled. Rathmines overall still a bit tippy.

Will look forward to checking it out anyway.

Advertisement