Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That's very disappointing that the Speeds aren't working for you V, strange one - any chance it was the socks? You're ticking over nicely, lovely consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

No, its definitely the shoes as I felt that sensation with different socks etc. I do think I'll manage sessions and shorter races with them ok, and I can feel the benefit of them in sessions anyway so I'm not totally against them. Just need to find a shoe that's like the Nike Epic React for my 10 milers / HMs... they're sadly discontinued and the pair I have are dead enough.

May Update

Another month over, what the hell! Not the worst month for getting out, just over the 100 miles. Long runs were poor enough, just one 11 mile and then a half marathon so that can improve in June.

Tues sessions

• Route around the trails on UCD, unknown distance and pace as GPS was wonky! We did 6 laps anyway at hard effort so job done whatever job it was.
    • 5 x 1500m at 5m pace, jog recovery approx 150m (7.20, 7.22, 7.23, 7.21, 7.13 - total time not pace)
    • Route along Dodder in Clonskeagh, one lap approx 1.1 mile. 2 laps in 17.45, 1 lap in 8.41 off 90s. I was supposed to do another 2 lap rep but was feeling unwell with womanly problems which is unusual for me.

Sat sessions on track

• 6 x 1k at 5k pace, off 90s (4.35, 4.37, 4.38, 4.36, 4.39, 4.35). Followed by 6 x 20s hill reps.
    • 4 x 800m, 4 x 600m all off 90s. (3.44, 3.40, 3.41, 3.42, 2.42, 2.45, 2.47, 2.48). Was supposed to be 4 x 400m to finish, but quads were bad so hadn't upped pace for the 600s and didn't want to risk the 4s.

Terenure 5 Mile

This was the same week as the 5 x 1500m above, where I felt fantastic. Considering the session on the track of 1k reps, I had the idea to set out in Terenure at 4.45 pace. I cycled down (possibly my first mistake) and had the watch set in km and everything. Settled in behind the 40 min pacers but passed them about 1km in, and kept my intended pace for the first 3km (4.46, 4.41, 4.48) but once the drag started in the 4th km, my legs felt heavy and the pace dropped which made my head drop. Quite annoyed with myself as once I got past that km (5.07), I was able to pick it back up a reasonable amount which I do think shows it was more head than legs. Anywho, managed to salvage the sub-40 (39.11) but was disappointed enough. I should have been in low 38s I feel.

Edinburgh HM

I had signed up for this on a whim, but as the weekend developed into a schoolfriends weekend away, I had only ideas of enjoyment. Set myself a curfew for drinking on the Saturday (hallelujah for day drinking), as I didn't want to be puking plus it was a very early start of 8am. Knowing it was a downhill start for approx 5 miles, I just relaxed and took in the sights, and the funny posters supporters had. Kept the pace comfortably steady for the remainder of the race which was mostly flat with the odd drag, and the only hardship was in the last mile when I guzzled water too quickly and gave myself a stitch. Told myself I wouldn't bother sprint finish, but you turn into a field with a long boarded straight to the finish line and I couldn't help myself, losing my little water bladder thingy in the process! 1.53 plus change which was very satisfying. Warm morning, but well stocked in terms of water stations and a little breeze along the coast was welcome. Definitely recommend.

Ramblings

I was watching the instagram live with Gillick and Dunleavy last night, and someone asked about that traditional 6 x 1k session at 5k pace funnily enough. It seems this is considered quite old school now, and replaced with threshold work. Found that interesting, but need to remind myself what is threshold again! I imagine a lot of our training is fairly old school, but I really like the variety and yes even the spontaneity. There was also a lot of discussion on building endurance, which I feel I am really lacking at the moment. Or at least it's not where it used to be. That makes sense considering my long runs are not too consistent, so I know what to do!

Coming up in my signed-up-for-too-many-races-June is WMM this Sunday, but will be a jog with family I think. I have persuaded people in my office to do the Docklands 5k, and I have also signed up for Dunshaughlin 10k which is 2 days later... yes that is a problem I am aware! I think I shall give the 5k a rattle more than the 10k, for the endurance reasons mentioned above.

Might try get back into weekly logging if it makes me more accountable with my long runs 🤔

Oops didn't quite manage to return for a weekly update.. maybe fortnightly-ish!

June 1st - 4th

1st: Easy 5 miles - 9.41/m. Early morning with a few clubmates, lovely to get it done.

3rd: Easyish parkrun with 1 mile warm-up / cool down. Parkrun in 27.25 ish. Got quicker going along but was still fine.

4th June Mini-mara: Had originally intended to run this v easy with family, but was told they'd be walking so much and I'd get frustrated! So I made my way to top of 2nd wave (standing around for 30 mins in the heat!), got chatting to a woman from Balbriggan who asked me what I was aiming for and I said maybe low 50s?

Kept it steady and comfortable for the first half, really enjoying myself actually. Lots of waterstations for a 10k but I was using them to throw water over my head and stay cool. Got through 5k in 25.59, felt great really and the 2nd half is the flatter half so I pushed on, 2nd half was 24.03, passing 173 people apparently (the 2nd wave start helped that I suppose). 50.02 chip (damn the slowing up to throw water over myself!). Was surprised how little the heat affected me tbh, and a great day out with family / club.

June 5th - 11th

5th: Had work travel Tues - Thurs, with no chance of running, so got in easy miles on the bank hol Monday - 6.2m @ 9.38/m.

9th: Post travel easy miles, 4.6m @ 9.54/m

10th: Track session. Jogged to the track, then drills including 4 laps of jog the bends and stride the straights - tougher than it sounds!!

Session was 2 x 1k (4.46, 4.39), 3 x 800 (3.36, 3.41, 3.48 ) and 4 x 400 (1.39, 1.45) Skipped the last two 400s as my body was not happy with all the boozing during the week... felt like I was running on empty. Which I probably was judging by the fade from 800s onwards.

11th: Early run on the gentler hills, 8m @ 9.56/m

June 12th - 18th

13th: Easy run home in the sunshine, 5m @ 10:05/m

14th: Easy run back to the office in the AM, 5.2m @ 9.46/m

15th: Docklands 5k. Chose this over the Dunshaughlin 10k, was curious to see how it would go especially after the mini-mara. Did a decent pre-race jog, 1.5 miles plus some drills. Plan was to start at 7.40/m pace knowing I would go quicker than that but at least would have restraint on my mind (yeah I don't get how this works for me either), then ideally push on. First mile came in at 7.30, grand. Felt good. Pushed a little on towards the Point and the turnaround, with halfway just after that and I knew I was far too comfortable for halfway in a 5k. Kept it going though with miles 2 and 3 at 7.22 / 7.23, and picked up for the last little bit to come in at 23.31. I was very happy with that, but do think I should be around the low 23s at least so have signed up for another in a couple weeks!

17th: Another easy parkrun as recovery, with mile warm up and parkrun in 26.45 ish. Soaked by the end as the rain arrived.

18th: Had a long day at our first big meet at the new track, was a great day out (even if I got sunburnt). Some savage races in the womens and mens 5000m and 1500m especially. Hopefully it becomes an annual event! Managed to force myself out for 7 miles in the evening, 9.44/m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh that will be an annual event for sure. The gradeds are all the better for new tracks. Porterstown too. Looking forward to doing some more track racing in summer 2024.

• Advertisement

June 19 - 25th

Mon 19th - Rest day.

Tues 20th - Club session, which as often happens deviated from the planned session. Usual warm-up lap, but myself and a club mate had to duck in to use the facilities, and when we got back everyone was gone apart from the coach who said to run for 33 mins i.e. to be back by x time. I thought he said whatever pace you like, so we ended up more on the steady side.. turns out it was supposed to be easy! Anyway, back to the start point for 15 mins of hard/easy... the hard sections were about 250m and easy couldn't have been more than 50m. Long 15 mins!!! Got it done plus a short cool down for just over 7 miles for the evening.

Weds 21st - Easy evening miles, 4.3 at 9.54/m. Tired.

Thurs 22nd - Had stuff to do so didn't get out.

Fri 23rd - Morning miles around a very restricted Marlay so ended up running outside it. 4.7m at 9.43/m.

Sat 24th - Missed the club session due to being overserved at Dermot Kennedy the night before. Ahem. Nah my friend was staying anyway so couldn't be heading off for that.. contemplated doing the session solo later that day for all of 10 seconds. Too dehydrated!

Sun 25th - Club run around Howth hill. This was really lovely despite the rain at the start, and the many nettle stings. The cliff walk path is very overgrown in parts but it felt like we were "adventuring". Not as much climbing as I would have thought, toughest part being up towards the golf club. But a very enjoyable morning was had and we finished with teas/coffees and snacks at Howth Market. 9m at 11.06/m (forgot to pause the watch in parts so pace probably not accurate).

26th June - 2nd July

Mon 26th - cycle commute.

Tues 27th - Club session, again not exactly the one on the schedule, we've learned to never bother programme into the watch! Warmup, and 3 laps of an undefined loop at HMP. I realised 1 lap was approx 1.5 miles so asked the coach while passing if one was racing the coming Friday does one still have to do all 3 laps. Definite yes 😅 covered 2 laps (3 miles) all at 8.15/m and eased up to 8.50 pace or so for most of the last lap. There were 5 x 1 min on /off to follow, but I waa excused from those given the race... Typical when that's the type of rep I enjoy more! Lots of recovery waiting for the rest to finish before the cool down jog. Just over 7 miles for the evening.

Weds 28th - Cycle to work just,and plenty of walking that evening.

Thurs 29th - runmute. 5.3m at 9.35/m. One of those mornings where its just lovely, and felt very grateful to have running. Cycle home.

Fri 30th - race day!! Woohoo (which is how I felt morning time, less so by 4pm). After docklands, I felt I had held back too much at the start anyway as I felt far too comfortable at halfway, so was keen to give another 5k a go. Kilcock within 2 weeks seemed perfect.

My friend collected me at 6.30 and despite some M50 slowness, we arrived in good time. Both aiming for similar times (she had been approx 15 seconds ahead of me in Docklands but wasn't happy), and both trying to hype each other up in the car! She was gonna be less aggressive to start than the previous 5k, while I was gonna me more aggressive!

Knew I wanted approx 15 min warm up, which we got done, but noticed there was a fair breeze. Not to worry, I'm short, I can use tall people here 😏 Quick loo break, few strides then over to the start line which was quite cosy with all the bodies. Didn't look for any boards crew as I just wanted to keep the focus I had.

Slowish start but found space quick enough and settled at a pace that felt right. The plan was 7.25 - 7.30 pace for first mile, thinking I'd actually do 7.20.. Knew pretty quickly I felt good, and that this could be a good evening for me. Roads were a little greasy, and the Endorphin Speeds don't feel too grippy but just kept relaxed and eyeing up my friend ahead who was certainly more cautious this time around. Mile 1 beeped at 7.14 - eek - and I caught her saying I've pulled off her move from Docklands, but would see how I get on.

Indeed, my inner self was saying you feel good, why shouldn't you keep it up at this pace? Felt like I was being used by a Raheny woman as pacer, but as we hit that dreadfully placed little hill around halfway, I pulled away from her and passed 3 or 4 others. Still feeling good at halfway, but certainly less comfortable than I'd been the couple weeks before. Good good. Can't remember anything particular about the country road here, but mile 2 beeped at 7.12. Bejaysus am I on for a possible (official) PB?

Remembered to phrase my inner self motivation in positive words, i.e. Keep it up rather than don't eff up. I'm able to slog the sessions so I can slog it through this race. Was catching a woman who kept striding out until she slowed to a short walk, then repeat. So irritating. But in hindsight she kept me going when I was fading back to 7.30 pace a little. Kept the head up, breathing hard and just didn't let myself give in. Felt sure my watch was pretty in sync with the actual distance, so when we got to more town looking area, I knew I was close to end of mile 3..wasn't sure what it would beep at but was relieved and surprised to see 7.17.. Ok ok we can do well here.

Didn't feel like I stretched the legs much for the last "bit" but apparently quicker than docklands, though I feel I could have killed myself a little more for it.. Anyway, chip time 22.43. Official PB is 22.40 so I am still very happy with that time, considering I thought 23 flat was a push goal. (I allegedly ran 21.56 in the boards 5k challenge but don't really count that).

My friend came in 9 seconds after me, so both super happy and unable to speak - sorry to the boardsies who I could barely communicate with 😅

Half mile jog back to the car as we were getting cold, and a bag of chips on the way home!

And so ended June!

Sat 1st - wanted a little parkrun shakeout, headed over to Firhouse. 28 something. No warm up, no cool down!

Had the treat of a free ticket to see calvin harris at longitude, felt incredibly old but you can't pass up a free ticket!!

Sun 2nd - lazy start to the day, so just got out in the afternoon for 7 miles or so, 9.56/m. Was able to get into the club grounds so did a good few laps of the trails. Saw two deers.. Wasn't sure if they attack people ever so doubled back that lap 🙈 warm enough afternoon especially when you're a little dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Great racing V, consistency is really paying off for you. Have you knocked S&C on the head?

I need to get back to it. I was just finding it difficult to fit it in with other stuff going on. The intention is to get back to it as the bare minimum of the odd time at home really isn't enough for me.

3rd - 9th July

Mon 3rd - rest (well aside from driving to Shannon, and then making the most of being out west to listen to music at Willie Clancy week, bliss)

Tues 4th - up and out before heading to the office. Plan was to attempt the club session (2 x 3k at tempo, 6 x 100m sprints) but my watch had frozen the night before and took a lot of messing about to get it back working. So it was at the wrong time until it found GPS which was a good 20/25 mins into the run.. Had seemed I was working hard for a crap pace so ditched the session and ran steadyish for the remainder. In hindsight I was probably actually running hard. With the time wrong it totally miscalculated paces when uploading then too. Anyway, a run was done. 5.4 miles wt 9.18/m (maybe)

Weds 5th - cycled to the office. Had evening plans so no run home.

Thurs 6th - ran into the office. Was thinking as I ran that this particular run is becoming my favourite of the week, at this time of year anyway. 5.3m at 9. 26/m

Cycle home.. Until I skid making room for a van to pass me, hit a low kerb, whacked my knee and head first into the bumper of a parked Polo. Not my finest moment. Thankfully I wear a helmet, so apart from some headaches, slight bruising and irritation with screens on Friday, my head is fine. My knee.. Quite cut up and sore still so no running since or for another couple of days probably. Also very thankful for good samaritans, especially that van driver who stopped and made sure I was ok, fixed the chain on my bike and then even dropped me home!

Fri 7th - Sun 9th - rest and boredom!

Still hoping I'll get to do the 10 miler at home this Sunday.. (probably mad, will probably ignore any advice to the contrary)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ouch!! Crikey it's never fun coming off the bike, I hope the headaches subside and the knee heals quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch, sorry to hear about that, V. Hope you recover quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yikes, hoping for a quick recovery. Fair play to the van driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Whilst you're off the bike, I'd like to suggest doing some reading on "defensive cycling". It'll make a difference when you're out on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hope you have a quick recovery, Thank god there are still some decent people🤗

Just catching up V. Sorry to hear about the biking accident. You must have got an awful fright. Thank god your injuries weren't worse and that someone had the van driver came to your aid.

Also, fair play on the 5k!! The consistency is paying off, great to see this come together for you.

10th - 16th July

So I rested up for the most part til Friday 14th when I did a little 5k tester run around the park. Could feel the knee a little but figured it would be grand.

Was happy to not run Saturday what with the awful weather. I was aware by Sunday I might feel stiff etc with less running but wasn't too worried. Had some pain in my knee in bed that night and briefly considered not doing the 10 mile.. Ignored that thought.

I'd agreed to give a couple of clubmates a lift down seeing as I know the roads pretty well, so picked them up and were on the road in grand time. Collected our numbers, saw our coach who ended up 8th, and a few of our speedier clubmates who all had great days. Short warm up and a few drills, with a quick pit stop and we jogged around to the start line. The route was back to the same as the first year I ran it which I think is a slightly more rough finish but wasn't going to worry about it.

Seemed to start all of a sudden and my goal was to keep around 8.20 for the first mile which has a fair climb out of the town. Mile came in at 8.23, and i tried to settle into around 8.15 pace then.. But my knee was feeling a little uncomfortable already, and by mile 3 I had called it. Jog or kinda steady around.. Really I should have called a DNF. At 6 miles there was a lot of discomfort and I was v close to stopping at marshalls, but then said ah its only 4 miles, be grand.. Anyway, got home not looking pretty and got an ice pack off the civil defence lads as there was a bit of swelling again.

Got it checked today as I was a little worried I'd done damage but just bad bruising, and I was given a knee brace to wear and keep it rested etc.. Can't see why they'd think I wouldn't rest it 🙃

Still hopeful I'll be back running a few miles by middle of next week??

Just FYI when I had my accident a few years ago (fractured knee) the physio in the hospital told me I had done more damage by wearing the brace the hospital gave me for too long (under hospital instruction!) and that the new way of healing injuries is through movement not restriction. Just telling you this because the knee still gives trouble to this day albeit to a lesser extent. Her advice was gentle, regular movement including cycling and strengthening exercises. I know our injuries are not the same and you are still in the initial recovery phase but these are what I'm doing right now after I fecked it up again last November in a race.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=bo1601

Anyway, best of luck with it, I hope it heals quickly, don't go back running too soon!!

Thanks.. Theres no fracture or break so definitely different. They said 5 to 7 days but i reckon a few days will be plenty. Plan to head to my physio then just to check from that angle.

Hope you don't have too much trouble with yours!

Sorry to hear it bothered you in the 10m, very frustrating. Hope the rest helps and definitely no harm to check in with the Physio also, very sensible 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Been some great running recently. Well done. Sorry about the bike accident. You looked to have come off the bike around the exact same time as someone I know and she's been in awful bother with what is just bad bruising. Hope the recovery is going well.

Thats exactly my issue now. Bad bone bruising, so knee (or just under it) just isn't recovered yet. Doing some rehab on strengthening around it but will be another little while. So annoying as I had good consistency going.

Oh dear, didn't realise it had been so long since an update. Time flies when you're .. dossing 😃

Very little running overall in July, but got back cycling to the office. Had a few physio appointments with the goal to be able to single leg hop, and single leg squat with no pain. Eventually got there on 10th August, and was allowed to try a tester run / walk. Covered 5km of walk 250m, jog 600m ish. All felt well in the knee but both calfs were very tight for a couple days afterwards which I put down to the pogo jumps the physio had me doing that Thursday morning.

14 - 20 August

Mon 14th - cycle in and out to work.

Tues 15th - easy lunch run, 4.5 miles at 9.24/m pace. Just remember feeling unfit!

Weds 16th - cycle to work.

Thurs 17th - runmute, 5.1 miles 9.43/m. Lovely to get back to this, had become my fave run of the week while the mornings are still bright. Cycled home.

Fri 18th - spa day / girls night !

Sat 19th - thankfully not too bad from the girls night. Physio had suggested trying slightly faster reps also to test the knee, so I managed 4 x 800s in the park. All 7.40-7.50ish pace, felt ok. Not amazing but ok. 5 miles total. Club summer party that evening.

Sun 20th - even though I wasn't hungover, I was just lazy and wanted to watch the world champs morning session before the annual family picnic. Blessed with the weather.

21 - 27 August

Mon 21st - Easy 5k, 9.48/m. Getting something in the books before heading over to Budapest 😁

Tues 22nd - Sat 26th - just one measly run to watch the womens marathon Sat morning as the days were busy and the weather was hot, hot, hot. Humidity often well over 70%. Dunno how the athletes did it. Unreal experience to be there though, and some amount of Irish fans, tricolours all over the stadium. Brilliant set up, everything reasonably priced... no complaints (well an Irish medal would have been amazing but such a positive champs for Team Ireland regardless).

Sun 27th - Forced myself out between the post-holiday tasks for a 5 miler, 9.39/m inspired by the brothers marathon win 😁

Had signed up for a 10k this weekend waaaay back. If I go, it will be an easy run, maybe with a couple miles before to make it something of a longer run.

Welcome back! Very jealous of your trip to Budapest, I'd say the atmosphere was brilliant? It certainly made for some great TV!

Likewise, very jealous of your trip! Where's the 10k, in the West by any chance?

Yes the atmosphere was top notch, totally addicted now! I watch most the diamond league and other meets so was judt as excited to see some of the other top names besides the Irish of course.

It is indeed 😉 have managed to nab a lift down and back with a few from my club so gonna do it as a fun morning out!

Aug 28th - Sep 3rd

Mon 28th - Nothing I think?

Tues 29th - was working from Offaly for a couple of days, decided to head up to the local track to do the club session. Didn't really think I'd manage it (6 x 3 mins at 5k pace). Jog up is just under 1.5 miles, quickly asked that it was ok to use the track of a couple local runners - no one seemed to care! Was surprised i was able to keep the pace in the 7.20s for all reps, suppose the pace isn't totally gone, just my endurance which was poor enough really before the bike fall anyway. 90s recovery, though I did take an extra 15s before the last rep. Wore new Nikes for this, Nike Pegasus Turbo something or other. Very 'slappy'. Jogged home, just under 6 miles for the evening.

Weds 30th - Short run around the town, 4 miles at 9.31/m avg. Knew I wouldn't get out much the rest of the week.

Thurs 31st - was in Shannon / Limerick for work

Fri 1st - as above, and then the drive back.

Sat 2nd - contemplated the club session.. no. contemplated parkrun... no. contemplated an afternoon run.. no. Some laziness, but also quite occupied with some urgent life stuff.

Sun 3rd - headed down west for the 10k, thanks to a clubmate driving a few of us down. Considering I had decided on an easy run, I'm not sure why I thought I'd aim for 52/53 minutes on the drive, and then changed to 55 mins at the start line. It felt horrible, didn't enjoy it and was annoyed by how much fitness is lost. That said, I've had a sore throat since Sunday morning so I suspect a little run down on top of the lack of running. 56 mins odd for the 10k, suppose I didn't kill myself either but anyway. Got to cheer in my sis in law, clubmates and @ariana` , was a lovely day out apart from the running! Fine cup of tea and spread in the community hall afterwards.

I did have a little talk with myself during the 10k wondering why I was bothering with sessions when I clearly need to run easy miles for at least 6 weeks and get that base to where it needs to be. That's the plan now, life permitting.

It was lovely to see you on Sunday @ReeReeG, thanks for the shout out :-)

No harm to include sessions for a bit of variety but maybe more tempo paces for the 6 weeks aerobic base building. If you just do easy running for 6weeks you run the risk of getting a bit ploddy (there must be a better word for this) and also very bored.

Oh and I think you did very well. Considering the bike accident and lack of running for 6 weeks and then the heat on the day and lumpy route 🙄

Yeah maybe I could do the Tuesday sessions depending what they are. Likely to be that kind of tempo / HMP / MP stuff with a lot of people marathon training.. I'll play it by ear anyway, but I definitely need to get base right! Hope you're recovering well from Sunday's efforts, both physically and mentally!

• Advertisement

4- 10 Sept

Mon 4th - cycle to and from work.

Tues 5th - Very loosely following the grads base plan with my easy running mentality for the next while. 45 mins easy, 4.5 miles at 10.06/m. One stop to chat to clubmates for a bit, some amount of familiar faces around the park on a lovely evening.

Weds 6th - Had contemplated a run, not the 60 min progression on the plan, but maybe 30 mins.. in the end however, work was mental and I was just too mentally wrecked.

Thurs 7th - Cycled into the office and got a lunch run in. Handy 40 mins or so around to the coastline, 4.2 miles at 9.59/m. Clammy but enjoyable. Cycle home that evening, and bizarrely didn't feel as bad. Maybe a lunch run helps!

Fri 8th - Again had contemplated a short 30 mins, but between work and other life stuff, didn't even get out for a walk.

Sat 9th - Headed up to the track but not to do the club session. Did the warm-up with everyone, but then just kept running easy around the trails for another 30 mins. Very warm morning, didn't feel great. Did have a funny temporary wardrobe malfunction in the warm-up -- word of warning to the women, those sports bras with zips at the front, I definitely recommend zipping all the way up 😅 4 miles at 10.04/m

A day of yet more packing and clearing sh*t followed, a temporary house move followed by a hopefully less temporary one is imminent!

Sun 10th - Out with the 8am crew for a few miles. The marathon crowd had 2.5 hours on the plan, and I thought I'd be doing well to hit an hour, but in the end was about 75 mins and 8 miles, avg pace 9.37/m. Delighted as it was again very clammy, and the pace was a bit hotter than easy for me at times, was feeling a little off which made sense when I got home and suddenly had the worst cramps after my shower, thought I was going to get sick. Absolute nuisance. Rented a van to move stuff, first time driving a van, hilarious. But definitely got a workout lifting stuff into it, assumed I would have abs when I woke up, sadly not.

Hardly an amazing week mileage-wise, but I think an important one. More of the same in the next few weeks to come.

Advertisement