Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Around The Horn 2017

Options
  • 20-10-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Its long over due but yes, Ive got off my backside and it is time, to bring back the best darn wrestling debate game in the history of Boards.ie,

Around The Horn is back bay-bay!

Its been over a year since our last Around The Horn and I thought id open this thread to see if there would be interest in it this year.

For those of you guys who know what ATH (Around The Horn) is, then great. For those of yous who don't....here is a short summary.

Simplified version of the rules:

I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made
    Any questions, just ask me

Thats generally how it's been done before, with two posters pitted against each other answering opened ended (i.e ones that could have a number of correct answers) such as:
    Example 1: Who is the most under-utilized / underused person on the WWE Roster and what would you suggest should be done with them? Why is your choice better than your oponents?

Example 2: "Pitch to Vince" - Vince McMahon wants to debut a new stable on WWE TV in the next few months. Using only current WWE employees who would you suggest for this new stable and how would you pitch the group to Vince?

The latter part of that (example 1) however should only be referred to after your first answer as otherwise the person who answers first would be at a distinct disadvantage being unable to refer to their opponents argument in their opening post.

For further examples, heres last years discussion thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057616655

It will follow a King of The Ring style format as before and as highlighted below:

1 Boardsie no.1
    Boardsie no.2
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    2 Boardsie no.3
    Boardsie no.4
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    3 Boardsie no.5
    Boardsie no.6
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    4 Boardsie no.7
    Boardsie no.8
    Final:
    5 Boardsie no.9
    Boardsie no.10
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    6 Boardsie no.11
    Boardsie no.12
    SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    7 Boardsie no.13
    Boardsie no.14
    QF4:W7 vs W8
    8 Boardsie no.15
    Boardsie no.16

What is Around The Horn you say? well here is the explanation i usually included when i used to run the standerd version of this game on here.

Around The Horn(ATH) is an american show on ESPN where a number of panelists/experts make arguments an a certain topic. The host awards points for each response depending on how well argued their point is, not neccesarily if he agrees with their point (although that helps) but how well they back up their argument. Obviously the winner is the person with the highest number of points at the end of the show. This format should work quite well here if anyone is interested, after all there are a number of people here who like to think of themselves as experts on all things wrestling related, here is a chance to prove it.

Previous champs are:

Myself, Vince135792003, Rosie1977, TBC, Fozzyx2, Uncle Walt Charlie Mchugh & Bubs101 and Omackeral as well as one was shared between cactus col and Machismo fan.

Our curent defending Champion is LeeJM who stole took the crown from me in a thrilling battle with SWWY last year. Lee knows his stuff, so he will be the one to beat this year (Should he enter)

so who want's in? We need 16 so, the first 15 posters to say they are in here get a spot, then we will be looking for a few for a backup list ideally (as some drop out for various reasons often in games like this).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Yes please! Love me some ATH!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm in for sure

Still feel robbed after Lees solution to the Roman Reigns problem in the final last year, you never forget your first screwjob :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Great to have you both aboard!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I'm in please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He'll yes, I'm in!

• Advertisement

C-Man and Lordy, come aboard

If there is more than enough interest I may opt out and simply run the game rather than take part. Have a few new question ideas ready to go guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I missed the last one due to mad work hours. I'm gonna take a week off to focus on the all important ATH. Count me in.

1. GerryBBadd
    2. SureYwouldntya
    3. Lord Tsc
    4. C-Man
    5. Omackeral

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Having run this thing until Beaker took over a few years back I feel like I have to take part. Never even came close to winning this before however but who knows every Dawg has it's day.

BH makes 6, 10 more spots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,893 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm back ��

1. GerryBBadd
    2. SureYwouldntya
    3. Lord Tsc
    4. C-Man
    5. Omackeral
    6. PTH2009
    7. BrianRegan09

Thats 7 peeps, great to have some new blood too.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    1. GerryBBadd
    2. SureYwouldntya
    3. Lord Tsc
    4. C-Man
    5. Omackeral
    6. PTH2009
    7. BrianRegan09

Thats 7 peeps, great to have some new blood too.

*cough cough*

Plus I have no problem doing as I have since you took over and running any match ups your involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

As defending champ I feel I need to come back and defend my crown so I am absolutely in.

I'm in for sure

Still feel robbed after Lees solution to the Roman Reigns problem in the final last year, you never forget your first screwjob :P

You say screwjob, I say better solution :P

Thats 9 now with BH (sorry) and defending champ LeeJM , 7 more spots.

Could invite 1 or 2 former participants via PM maybe? They might enjoy it.

based on my past experience only TBC from the former champs (who aren't already in) would probably be worth trying. Crabman is an off and on poster these days but it's things like this that can draw him back

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll give it a go.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 85,307 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will give it a go again

• Advertisement

Any of ye that are on the fence lads give it a go, we all love to fantasy book and think we know best and this is one of the chances to show it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ugh....

Terrible at debating but feck it I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

If ye are stuck for a person then I’m happy to jump in. Moving house at the moment so that’s taking up most of my time so I’d hate to take the spot of someone that has more time to play.

Well Jp Liz and MNG make 11,

Necro your more than welcome to be number 12.

TBC, it wouldn't be the same without you, but dont pressure yourself, real life always comes first.

Ill put you down initially and if we get more interest ill let it be your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

If it's cool I might put my name in? (But happy to stand aside if someone else wants in).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Count me in if there's still space.

Haven't been as active lately. Be great to get back posting.

Sorry about the delay, werewolfing took over.

So ill leave this until tuesday and we shall begin the draw and bracket placing from there.

Thanks for your patients.

Shag and Ruet, welcome aboard

Have we got the full 16 Joe? Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll retire unundefeated

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer but I think I'll retire unundefeated

You’re like Michael Cole at Wrestlemania now

Advertisement