Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Around The Horn 2016 - ATH2016 Discussion Thread

Options
  • 01-07-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Its been over a year since our last Around The Horn and I thought id open this thread to see if there would be interest in it this year.

For those of you guys who know what ATH (Around The Horn) is, then great. For those of yous who don't....here is a short summary.

Simplified version of the rules:
    I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made

Any questions, just ask me

Thats generally how it's been done before, with two posters pitted against each other answering opened ended (i.e ones that could have a number of correct answers) such as:

Example 1: Who is the most under-utilized / underused person on the WWE Roster and what would you suggest should be done with them? Why is your choice better than your oponents?

Example 2: "Pitch to Vince" - Vince McMahon wants to debut a new stable on WWE TV in the next few months. Using only current WWE employees who would you suggest for this new stable and how would you pitch the group to Vince?

The latter part of that (example 1) however should only be referred to after your first answer as otherwise the person who answers first would be at a distinct disadvantage being unable to refer to their opponents argument in their opening post.

If you want to get further examples, heres some links :
    ATH 2014 - DISCUSSION THREAD

Omackeral v Bostoncrab

DQ V Castor Troy

It will follow a King of The Ring style format as before and as highlighted below:

1 Boardsie no.1
    Boardsie no.2
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    2 Boardsie no.3
    Boardsie no.4
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    3 Boardsie no.5
    Boardsie no.6
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    4 Boardsie no.7
    Boardsie no.8
    Final:
    5 Boardsie no.9
    Boardsie no.10
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    6 Boardsie no.11
    Boardsie no.12
    SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    7 Boardsie no.13
    Boardsie no.14
    QF4:W7 vs W8
    8 Boardsie no.15
    Boardsie no.16

What is Around The Horn you say? well here is the explanation i usually included when i used to run the standerd version of this game on here.

Around The Horn(ATH) is an american show on ESPN where a number of panelists/experts make arguments an a certain topic. The host awards points for each response depending on how well argued their point is, not neccesarily if he agrees with their point (although that helps) but how well they back up their argument. Obviously the winner is the person with the highest number of points at the end of the show. This format should work quite well here if anyone is interested, after all there are a number of people here who like to think of themselves as experts on all things wrestling related, here is a chance to prove it.
    Previous champs are:

Myself, Vince135792003, Rosie1977, Fozzyx2, Charlie Mchugh & Bubs101 and Omackeral as well as one was shared between cactus col and Machismo fan.

so who want's in? We need 16 so, the first 15 posters to say they are in here get a spot, then we will be looking for a few for a backup list ideally (as some drop out for various reasons often in games like this).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Always makes me smile to see my creation return (trying to spot how much of the above is copied and pasted from my old OPs atm :) )and much like Jericho and MITB I have never won the thing myself so....

You better believe I will be in again

That said I will state right now that I will be traveling between the 7th and 12th so if that conflicts with match ups I'll happily allow someone take my place

Are there no other former champs still around than yourself and Omack? though TBC won it one year, but maybe that was just that he got to a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Always makes me smile to see my creation return (trying to spot how much of the above is copied and pasted from my old OPs atm :) )and much like Jericho and MITB I have never won the thing myself so....

You better believe I will be in again

That said I will state right now that I will be traveling between the 7th and 12th so if that conflicts with match ups I'll happily allow someone take my place

Are there no other former champs still around than yourself and Omack? though TBC won it one year, but maybe that was just that he got to a final.

TBC got to the final...... the other question never got answered and I wasnt around (birth of baby) to sort it out.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    TBC got to the final...... the other question never got answered and I wasnt around (birth of baby) to sort it out.

pfft get your priorities straight mate :pac:

new questions for this year - Make a statement then add the question tag How do you make Roman look strong in this scenario? to the end of it.

Ex: John Cena is Wrestling The Miz, how do you make Roman look Strong in this scenario?

It is essentially Vince's response to the pitch to Vince round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Every year my win is never included in the intro!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Pencil me in. Tis always fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I'll play.

Only if TBC's is acknowledged in the op.
    (Can't be taking him on all fired up).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The uncrowned champ of 2014 must return. Pencil me in please

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

Every year my win is never included in the intro!

I'm the other forgotten winner! 2010 Champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm in

Always lots of fun, really fun trying to be creative and also do something you think people will like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'll be on for this , desperate to avenge my 1st round KO of last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Feck it, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'll certainly give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As always, I'd be game for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This might get me active here again, count me in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Sir, yes sir.

So far we have 12 lads
    Beakerjoe
    Bounty Hunter
    Money Maker
    Shagnasti
    KanKan
    GerryBBadd
    Surewhywouldntya
    Brian Regan
    LeeJM
    Paulie21
    Omackeral
    CheeseWagstaff

Others have replied in the thread (TBC, Uncie Walt), but unsure if they are game.

hopefully we can begin once we get 4 more lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

If you're still looking for people, I'd like to throw my name into the hat also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'm in but the win must be known!

Ok guys, with 14 guys ready, theres two spots available. The draw has been made and those 2 spots will remain open shall anyone want to jump in. If no one else jumps in, those lads versus the open slots will get byes to the next round.

So the draw is as follows

LeeJM
    Shagnasti
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    Bye 1
    KanKan14
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    GerryBBadd
    TheBostonCrab
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    Bye 2
    ImnottheHulk
    Final:
    MoneyMaker
    Beakerjoe
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    Paulie21
    Omackeral

SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    BountyHunter
    Brian Regan
    QF4:W7 vs W8
    Surewhywouldntya
    CheeseWagstaff

The first match up shall be posted later today with the second one shortly after (usually only have 2 matches running at the same time)

Good luck folks

Oh and thebostonbrab...something something.....won....something.....former champion....something.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'll play of you need a spot. Enjoyed it so much last couple of years.

I'll play of you need a spot. Enjoyed it so much last couple of years.

You are more than Welcome Winnie, you shall be slotted in to take on KanKan in the second match.

Very interesting first question to get things started. Could see a few more draft related ones coming too

Still don't get why they didn't call them Fabreze instead of Breezango. Obviously there is the odor remover with a similar name but even then thats spelt with an e not an a at the start and really does just roll off the tongue easier.

First two questions are up, hopefully that wets the lips of those taking part.

Still one more spot available if anyone fancys there hands at a wrestling themed debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

beakerjoe wrote: »
    First two questions are up, hopefully that wets the lips of those taking part.

Still one more spot available if anyone fancys there hands at a wrestling themed debate.

After seeing the first two questions I really hope someone puts their name forward. Not complaining that I have a bye (I think still) but itching to get involved! (Even if it means I get trounced in the first round rather than the second).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That tag team question is a real thinker, I haven't a clue who I'd go with for that. I know one name that almost instantly popped into my head for the one on Brock though.

Hopefully with 3 match ups after the two that were only just posted I should be well back from Japan by the time my match up with Brian rolls around. I'll be back on Tuesday (just checked, not staying too far away from the Tokyo Dome! not getting to a show this time though)

and the first answer is in: Cesaro vs Break would be great! wonder who the other poster will pick now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, Cesaro was exactly who I was thinking of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, Cesaro was exactly who I was thinking of :D

Seemed like such an obvious choice, hope I did it justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nice get to face BH best of luck dude :)

Advertisement