Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Raid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Alfie619

Odelay wrote: »
    Yes, they definatley can and will use the phone in court. They get blocked phones everyday but can unblock them no problem.

Seriously???

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alfie619 wrote: »
    kbannon wrote: »
    Do you not need garda confirmation that it was stolen before they deactivate it?
    No don't think ao
    After telling us that you went through the steps of having it blocked, you dont think so?
    You're full of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hi - I had the guards raid my house yesterday and had like 3 ounces of marijuana in one bag. But I took out my phone to send someone a msg and under pressure I gave them my phone unlocked and they had a long snoop. Asked for my pin to unlock it I felt like I could refuse - anyway they looked at everything. A lot of info on it to be honest. They put it in the evidence bag and took it away with everything but I've blocked the phone now whilst in their possession. Does anyone know can they use my phone as evidence in court considering the phone is dead/blocked. Also I spoke as they were doing the raid as I wanted to make work and maybe said some things I shouldn't of as regards names. But I wasn't under arrest so they can't use anything I said against me? Please help

If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear.

If there is nothing on your phone that would interest the guards, then they'll have nothing to use in the court case and it will just be down to the possession.

Or is there something on the phone that you don't want them to see Alfie?

ezra_ wrote: »
    If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear.

If there is nothing on your phone that would interest the guards, then they'll have nothing to use in the court case and it will just be down to the possession.

Or is there something on the phone that you don't want them to see Alfie?

Yes theirs loads on the phone like. I don't want them accessing it. They even said themselves it'll only be personal use. And like they would hardly unblock a phone for a guy with a couple of hours - bigger fish to catch like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Seriously???

How exactly did the provider "block" the phone? Cut off the account? remote wipe the phone? remote encrypt the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Yes theirs loads on the phone like. I don't want them accessing it. They even said themselves it'll only be personal use. And like they would hardly unblock a phone for a guy with a couple of hours - bigger fish to catch like?

Maybe they can acces those bigger fish via your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Maybe they are planning on turning you into a bigger fish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you're not going to get any useful info here, but people delighting at taking pops at ya

but i dunno why you're so worried about the phone as evidence, isn't the 3ounces of weed they took away evidence enough!

doylefe wrote: »
    How exactly did the provider "block" the phone? Cut off the account? remote wipe the phone? remote encrypt the phone?

The phone is off and won't come back on. Just like if a person stole your phone you would ring your provider and put the phone out of use. Like they can even see my msgs or apps

I'm not a lawyer, etc etc

But their warrant lets them seize and review your possessions, by blocking the phone (assuming they can't unblock it), what you've done is a bit like handing them a locked box and not given them the key. The warrant gives them the power to break the lock and open the box.

So either they can access the phone (and I'm pretty sure that blocking a phone just stops the phone from making / receiving calls and running up any chargeable events, it doesn't 'wipe' the phone) or they can demand that you unlock it for them.

Given that a) you have a good bit of weed and b) you don't want people to access your phone, conclusions will flow quickly to c) you are dealing.

Strange that they didn't take you back with them then. Unless you struck a deal of course, and are trying to get your alibi out via the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The phone is off and won't come back on. Just like if a person stole your phone you would ring your provider and put the phone out of use. Like they can even see my msgs or apps

I've never heard of that. The sim provider I have would have no way of remote locking my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Talk about making a bad situation worse. Reporting your phone as stolen is probably the worst thing you could have done. They'll simply dump the memory contents of your phone and get the info anyway but now you have to wonder if they'll also charge you with obstruction for trying to destroy evidence. And if you try claim the phone on insurance it's fraud. And you've probably lost any kind of goodwill from them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

The phone is very important to the guards, from it they can see who you were buying/selling to. Provided there is text messages to show this.
    Thats how they probably found out about you, from someone else's phone who they had in custody.
    They can retrieve your messages, even if the phone is stunned plus they have your sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Unless you have something pre-loaded onto your phone to let you wipe it, then they have full access to your phone, bar making/receiving calls and texts.

Have a smoke and a coffee, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

go to a solicitor ... cant imagine 2 / 3 ounces will be seen as personal use. surprised they didnt arrested you ... did you give them names of where you got it from ? if so you may have bigger problems than the guards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Hand on my heart I ain't. I've work today even like...

Then as somebody else has said they most likely think that they can now use you and the information you can provide. I would be careful about threads like this where you are telling people that you have given the guards names and information... Wexford is a small town and when people get raided people usually know who it is.
    If the wrong people think you are giving names and info to the police you may have bigger problems then you have now.

The Garda can use your phone. They will contact the provided to get it turned back on .. although I think that they have an app and device they plug the phone into to get by the phone being blocked and they can download information.

The Garda don't arrange an warrant to raid a house on a whim. They have to get the warrant signed and have to have suspicion that something is wrong. They won't raid a house because they think the house owner is smoking weed and has personal amounts on him. Its costs them money to raid a house and they need to make an arrest to show that it was a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Tina82 wrote: »
    go to a solicitor ... cant imagine 2 / 3 ounces will be seen as personal use. surprised they didnt arrested you ... did you give them names of where you got it from ? if so you may have bigger problems than the guards !!

According to his OP he sang like a canary

Tina82 wrote: »

ah, but now all who can google know that it wasn't Alfie who snitched, but rather the guards were able to 'hack' his phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

So you got caught with 3 ounces of marijuana and they didn't arrest you.

I think you are telling Porky Pies

You would have been arrested for possession for the purpose of supply.

Not true. Its at gardais discretion. Its quite likely that they intend to prosecute but don't believe the OP to be a flight risk. Its not really worth the paperwork to arrest him, process him at the station and then hold him for a period of time. This will be dealt with "in due course". Its not as if he was 40 Kg or a grow house.

OP will more than likely have a criminal record now . 3oz has a value of about €1500-1600 I d estimate so probably looking at sale or supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd imagine there are some messages on the sim card itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Why is this crap even in the Wexford Forum - AH would be more suitable. Druggie gets what he/she deserves and good riddance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Alfie, there is no way on earth you will get away with personal use for 2-3 ounces, not a hope in hell of it at all. maybe if its was 2-3 grams then it can be classed as personal use but not anywhere between 56 and 84 grams. Thats sale and supply quantities and 100% you should have been arrested under caution on the spot for it.

By blocking the phone in the manner you have you have only shut down the sim card which means the phones contents can be accessed easily by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If they are investigating him for sale or supply it makes sense to hold off on the arrest until they have the contents of his phone to question him about also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If they are investigating him for sale or supply it makes sense to hold off on the arrest until they have the contents of his phone to question him about also.

Nope, it will take a week or two to go to court at least so by right he should have been arressted on the spot, he can then be released while they gather the evidence to send to the DPP for direction on what to do etc. The story doesnt add up in fairness.

OP - you need to get out of the country today. Costa Del Sol would suit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,844 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Del.Monte wrote:
    Why is this crap even in the Wexford Forum - AH would be more suitable. Druggie gets what he/she deserves and good riddance.

What an absolute waste of resources and money, it all should just be legalised at this stage.

I was informed by an ex cop years ago after a search, that for a guard to search a phone, a warrant is needed. Could be all changed now though. Best of luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

OP What kind of phone is it? You can remote wipe and iPhone and most android phones FYI

You must have given them some good info of they didn't arrest you on the spot with that quantity, probably pointed the min the right direction of a "bigger fish"

Watch your back in the coming days, get a solicitor and a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I guess you will only bring the gardai down more on you by having the phone shut down by provider, that would be making them think that there may be more on that phone of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

2 ounces is 60 grams
    3 is 85

That is a lot of weed.

• Advertisement

2 ounces is 60 grams
    3 is 85

That is a lot of weed.

Traditionally an ounce = 28grams.

Your math still doesnt make sense that 2 can be 60 = 30grams each but the addition of a 3rd is only 25.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement