Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Mixture of Tesco, LIDL and Aldi but also do a shop at two wholesalers (a butcher and an oriental one).

I don't really like posh TV dinners so generally avoid M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Have only ever shopped in Dunnes when stuck for something, the one near me is quite small.
    My shopping is done mainly in an independent supermarket, then Tesco for household items (detergent, toilet paper etc) and then Lidl/Aldi for any extra bits I need as the week progresses.
    I never buy fruit or veg from Lidl/Aldi as I find the quality terrible. I gave them both a try and did a proper comparison but their veg doesn't taste as nice and doesn't last as long as the veg bought elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Londis/Centra/Spar
    M&S and Tesco for me. Never been in Aldi. Went into Lidl once and didn't like it. Use our local bakery and butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Londis/Centra/Spar
    I go to:
    M&S for fruit and pasta and tinned tomatoes and popcorn seeds
    Aldi for kids school lunch bits and freezer bits except for frozen peas as they are disgusting.
    Supervalu for bakery (which is gorgeous) and things like tomato ketchup, ribena,noodles that kind of thing
    Butcher for meat, fishmonger for fish
    Musgraves for bottled water and big massive containers of laundry detergent and softners and washing up liquid.

All over the place really!

Cannot stand Lidl - I do not know wny and the Dunnes near me is always badly stocked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Marks and Spencer's
    Lidl are great for value, I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of stuff I can get there for so little.
    M&S for their gf cakes and bread but only as a rare treat. By far the best gf stuff I've had.
    Supervalu are close to me and have a great gf selection also so I tend to drop in there and tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

SuperValu
    Aldi better quality than lidl and the same price or cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lidl for fruit n veg and sundries. Romanian or Polish shops for various goodies ie smoked meats. Butcher for fresh meats.
    Tesco for the whole fat organic milk.
    Supervalu and Dunnes are just too expensive. M&S is the most overpriced overhyped muck on the market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

SuperValu
    Forgot to mention Lidl's fresh bakery - I was over the moon when they started doing pretzels a while ago, I had really missed those, and they're as good as any I'd get back home.
    Also, they have an amazing sourdough with pumpkin seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't have a favorite supermarket anymore. It used to be Tesco before the **** hot the fan as they had great deals then but it has not been the same since and my local store ain't as good as it used to be on deals. You will still get deals just not as many and they go quick.
    I do buy some stuff in there do.
    Lidl is great for deals on meats and other foods but my local Lidl store is closed at the moment unfortunately.

Aldi are just like Lidl but no where as good for deals on meat or other foods.

Dunnes are ok for some things and even have some stuff cheaper than Tesco but yes I mind must of the staff are not very happy or nice at all.
    M&S I love for a few bits that I do get on deal when near one. There is none local to me unfortunately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dunnes Stores
    Just missing Sainsbury & Waitrose :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Marks and Spencer's
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

SuperValu
    Some serial objectors from Tesco&Supervalu about Aldi&Lidl attempts to expand. Objections to every shop they try to open.
    Confirmation of fears that they know that consumers like and want Aldi&Lidl.
    I'm sick of being ripped off by the older brands.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/supermarket-planning-wars-aldi-and-lidl-feel-the-heat-from-rivals-1.3352006

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Dunnes Stores
    Tesco - home delivery service is fantastic. Do your shopping online and bring it straight into your kitchen and put it on the counter top. With 2 small children and living in a rural location it’s a god-send of a service.

Some SuperValu stores have really good in-store bakeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dunnes Stores
    zell12 wrote: »
    Some serial objectors from Tesco&Supervalu about Aldi&Lidl attempts to expand. Objections to every shop they try to open.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/supermarket-planning-wars-aldi-and-lidl-feel-the-heat-from-rivals-1.3352006

RGDATA objected to Lidl being expanded in my local town as they have done in loads of locations and I didn't notice a lot of local support from people in the locality. The staff in my local Lidl are a lot friendlier/helpful than those in local businesses.
    When Lidl was eventually granted planning the business association had a post up about how brown envelopes must have being passed and how it shouldn't have being granted/etc because of the local businesses. The business association were host an some kind of chocolate hunt for the kids at the time and they bought most of their chocolate in Lidl and not from the local businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dunnes Stores
    I think using a mix is good. Aldi and Lidl mostly , because its so affordable. Tesco is pretty good too though , theres a number of items which are better there than in the cheaper supermarkets. Supervalu is my least favourite but it has a lot of irish goods and if Im stuck to find a place I wouldn't mind shopping there too. Ethnic food shops can be interesting for something new too, and M+S if Im feeling fancy , there have really nice luxury stuff

Overall a big mix for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Lidl
    Aldi here. I love their products, always a great selection of fruit and veg, love their fish, patè, brie....

We only ever shop in aldi. Not a big fan of Lidl, apart from the bakery and they sometimes do the toys at the checkout that my kids like. They always seem to be out of the veg I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SuperValu
    zell12 wrote: »

There's a big scandal that's broken in Canada about price fixing on certain items that I'm paying close attention to as I'm getting toward finalising my permanent residency there (which explains the $4 for a loaf of bread or $9 for 500mls of cream costs). All I can say it Lidl/Aldi are absolute godsends and people should be very loud and vocal in telling the other chains to get f***ed - more chains with a diverse number of owners is a very, very, very good thing that shouldn't be mucked about with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lidl
    Avoid Dunnes unless I absolutely can't, nothing to do with the prices, just a totally cu.nty company.

Likewise, Ive seen too many managers in Dunnes treating staff like sh1te that I would rather not give them my money. Tis Aldi and Lidl for me as apart from the value I love that their stores are small in size and you get through the tills super fast compared to other supermarkets.

I dont really get the love on here for Supervalue. Their prices are often anything but value. Also Supervalue in rural towns are known for ripping the locals off while head office blasts out constant advertising about being part of the local community, blah de blah. A mate of mine living in Loughrea was telling me how they were expensive as hell for lots of items as there was no other supermarket around for miles. Then a few years ago a Lidl opened up and finally the local Supervalue had competition and dropped some of their prices. It took a German superarket to come in and put a bit of honesty on the local company with the "community values" :rolleyes:

Dunnes = apartheid lovers who've always treated staff and suppliers horrendously.

I couldn't care less about their drug-crazed fat fúck CEO trying to kill himself on the 17th floor balcony of a hotel with a hooker trying to save him, but I do care about the way they treat their staff and suppliers and the lives they damage because of their god-like abuse of their dominance. "The difference is we're Irish" - No, the difference actually is that you're the greatest bastards to staff and suppliers of the whole retail industry (and that's saying something).

Tesco, which thanks to a massive union and government campaign when it took over Quinnsworth strongly supports Irish companies, manages to be less offensive on this one criterion than Dunnes and therefore I'd be more inclined to go there. M&S as a matter of company policy doesn't give a flying fúck about Irish suppliers or Irish jobs, so I'd never darken the door of that all fur coat and no knickers establishment that's frequented by every mentally fragile sort in southeast Dublin desperate to build a wall of faux refinement around them.

Not-so-Super-Valu = supports Irish suppliers, via exploiting Irish pensioners in small rural towns, the only people who would have so few options that they'd pay their extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lidl
    I normally shop in aldi but if stuck tesco will do...I live near a SuperValu but wouldn’t go near iit because of the mad prices.
    A lot of the

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Londis/Centra/Spar
    Tesco and Aldi for the big shops, Aldi do a good range and are 30% cheaper than Tesco but Tesco do have a much wider range of goods. Super Valu the odd time for beef but they aren’t as good as Superquin were - shame. Also use the local butcher for meat.

Rarely shop in Dunnes and they they treat their staff appallingly. I’ve seen it many times.

M&S the very odd time for the occasional treat. Their ready meals are top notch as are their sambos and cakes/biccies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Don't like Supervalu at all, avoid at all costs.

Wouldn't darken the door of Dunnes except for the deli counter in the Stephens Green branch which is excellent for lunch.

Tesco for branded items or some of their own stuff which can be very good.

The majority of shopping is done in lidl with frequent trips to a very good butcher in my locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Lidl
    Aldi for me , excellent value and better quality than Lidl . Not everything there but 80% of my needs .
    Tesco I avoid as I find a lot of stuff expiry date very short , Dunne's I would not go into considering how they treat staff and attitude to unions .
    SuperValu can be quite homely but I found our local had things on offer but you were charged full price at the till and mightn't spot it in a larger shop .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SuperValu
    Lidl is the best for me, the 2 Aldi stores near me are rubbish so I rate them the worst supermarket, super valu are nice for a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lidl
    I mostly shop in Aldi, good value for money and it has most of the things I need.

I also like the fact that the cashiers put a rush on slow idiots who have no idea how to pack their shopping quickly and don't have their money/cards ready instead of rooting around for 5 minutes holding everyone else up.

I try to avoid SV like the plague for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lidl
    I try to avoid SV the best I can but anyone find they are slowest checkouts of all the the supermarkets. Any time I go in the old biddy and who ever they are serving seem to sharing the weekly gossip.
    The place would be packed and nearly all the cashiers going as slow as possible, if it’s not young ones chatting to mates its the older ladies catching up on the weekly gossip.

Advertisement