Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dunnes Stores
    BailMeOut wrote: »
    Some of the Supervalu stores around the country are so good and way better than any of old the Superquinn (pre takeover). I bet you are in Dublin and suspect the Supervalu's there are not as good up there. Example Kinsale, Clonakilty, Bandon and Carrigaline Supervalu (especially Kinsale and Clonakilty) must be two of the best supermarkets in Ireland.

They are only a handful of good Supervalu's in my experience around the country Mallow, Cahir, Mitchelstown, Clonmel, Cahel, formal superquinn in Portlaoise, Merchants Quay are all bog standard supermarkets. Rubbish Bakery/very standard bought in products, Often experience out of date products, special offers are hidden.
    The better supervalu's have good bakeries/cakes/etc but I would only purchase these mainly for Birthday's/occasions and wouldn't be in a standard's weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Marks and Spencer's
    Lidl is my favourite for every day items. Butcher, fish monger or green grocer for fresh stuff, but if they're closed or not convenient I will go to Supervalue for it. Tesco for the odd thing that only Tesco has like the more exotic sauces and condiments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl
    Aldi for 99% of my shopping, and Tesco for the minute number of things I can't get in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Marks and Spencer's
    Supervalu

because its clean, local and convenient

* i don't work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl
    lidl for me offers the best balance of price , quality and variety

aldi is by far the cheapest but has a lot less choice and quality
    That puzzles me ... I used to shop at Lidl, long before Aldi arrive locally to me, and I think I can fairly safely say that, apart from the occasional specials, the selection in Lidl has barely changed in the last 5 years. Aldi, on the other hand, are always bringing in new products, and have a lot more staples than Lidl do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Alun wrote: »
    That puzzles me ... I used to shop at Lidl, long before Aldi arrive locally to me, and I think I can fairly safely say that, apart from the occasional specials, the selection in Lidl has barely changed in the last 5 years. Aldi, on the other hand, are always bringing in new products, and have a lot more staples than Lidl do.

I've been doing the weekly shop for the past few months at Aldi. The amount of plastic packaging is really turning me off it. I eat a lot of fruit and it all non recyclable plastic.

Need to go some place else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

SuperValu
    My favorites are Tesco, Lidl & Dunnes Stores in that order. The main shop is done in Tesco (the clubcard points come in very handy for phone credit) extra bits then got in Lidl's. I'll shop in Dunnes now & again for groceries, but I much prefer the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lidl
    Aldi for me....was tesco till money started to get tight so switched over to aldi and was surprised at the variety...aldi fresh products can be hit or miss some weeks and long dates are sometimes hard to come by.
    Tesco on line if I am in a hurry or won’t be around on a Saturday to do the big shop..generally same shop in tesco is about 30-40 quid dearer.
    SuperValu near me is dire ...very poor quality and always low on essential stuff and by far the dearest as well.. fresh meat in SV probably the only redeeming thing about them...
    Always surprised by how different some SuperValus can be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dunnes Stores
    Und maen Got, ze Germans are winning :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

SuperValu
    Lidl. Its close by, its excellent value, like their products, staff friendly and hard working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

harr wrote: »
    generally same shop in tesco is about 30-40 quid dearer.

I hear this a lot and it somewhat baffles me. I tend to shop between all the big five supermarkets as they are all pretty convenient to me. I would shop more in Dunnes then the others by virtue of their shop & save vouchers but I find little/no difference in price on the vast majority of COMPARABLE items across four of the supermarkets (SuperValu is more expensive). My suspicion is that those saving money in Aldi/Lidl bought more branded produce when they shopped in Tesco and Dunnes.

BTW OP, Eurospar should be on the list too as it's a proper supermarket (not dissimilar to SuperValu), albeit one with a limited footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lidl
    Quackster wrote: »
    I hear this a lot and it somewhat baffles me. I tend to shop between all the big five supermarkets as they are all pretty convenient to me. I would shop more in Dunnes then the others by virtue of their shop & save vouchers but I find little/no difference in price on the vast majority of COMPARABLE items across four of the supermarkets (SuperValu is more expensive). My suspicion is that those saving money in Aldi/Lidl bought more branded produce when they shopped in Tesco and Dunnes.

BTW OP, Eurospar should be on the list too as it's a proper supermarket (not dissimilar to SuperValu), albeit one with a limited footprint.
    Yes
    Definitely would have bought more branded stuff in tesco...but I definitely find the aldi products better quality than say Tesco’s own brand stuff..
    By shopping in aldi it stops me buying the branded stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

SuperValu
    Branded stuff is 99% marketing- Lidl do sell some branded products also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Quackster wrote: »

I think the same thing, I shop in tesco and I don't think I buy a single branded product, I grew up on own brand so branded products just seem like a waste of money to me. We used to shop on aldi before I copped how easy Tesco deliveries are and there is no price difference in my shop between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not touching this poll until you explain your username OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Dunnes Stores
    I go to all of them depending on the offers. Not loyal at all.

However, Aldi & Lidl are consistently excellent for quality, value, taste of food etc. I do miss the Lidl/Aldi stuff from 10 years ago when they had continental meat cuts, more cheeses, olives and more european cuisine generally before they adapted their product range to traditional Irish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dunnes Stores
    I find all own brands can be very hit and miss. You can get a great run out of an own brand item and then it disappears and comes back back completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Londis/Centra/Spar
    Before Musgraves/ SuperValu took over Superquinn they did actually employ professional butchers and fishmongers.

However, my Mum recently asked a girl behind the fish counter in SuperValu as to what she would suggest (I think it was like Cod versus Hake) and the girl said 'I haven't a clue I can't stand fish'. Some professional fishmonger right?!

Local SuperValu to here is the single reason I ignore them all.

Superquinn was grand. Went in the odd time, got stuff, paid a bit of a premium for "perceived" quality. Then they ripped the shop apart, laid it out stupidly, did the whole jigsaw vinyl thing that all SV/Centra have now and makes the place look like a cheap bar toilet, and put up all the prices.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone in their right mind would shop there.

Generally use Tesco even though I'd prefer to keep an Irish company afloat. Might use Dunnes more if the local one wasn't in a shopping centre that takes 30 mins to get in or out of and if the staff didn't all make it very obvious that the dead animals on display in the deli counter are treated better than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Dunnes Stores
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

This post has been deleted.

i'm the same, shop in lots of different stores. though it does do my head in that i can't just walk into one shop and get everything in one stop:(. i just like giving myself extra work when i'm already pushed for time:rolleyes:

tesco (for the branded items)
    lidl (just for a few things. also i like all of the staff in my local. their chirpyness annoyed me at the start because i think i'm used to rushed till workers not even making eye contact, but i actually like going to lidl now because of this)
    aldi (love aldi, try not too go too often because i come back with waaay too much from the sweets isle. i get a bit excited)
    polo store (they do all their fruit & veg without packaging. also they have big bunch's of fresh herbs for the same price as the measly little thing that you get in tesco/lidl)
    asian stores for spices, dates, chilli's, plantains....
    polish warehouses are my new venture atm

• Advertisement

Where's the Fallon & Byrne, Avoca and Mortons options?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

SuperValu
    Where's the Fallon & Byrne, Avoca and Mortons options?:(

Where did you grow up, D4?

Marks and Spencer's
    Super Valu, closest to my folks' home so have memories of shopping with my folks when I was a kid. Also there's a Super Valu across road from where I now live.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

SuperValu
    LIDL would be my first choice
    ALDI when I fancy a little change from LIDL

Tesco or Dunnes once a month to stock up on the soft drinks they do not carry in LIDL or ALDI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Aldi
    Avoid Dunnes unless I absolutely can't, nothing to do with the prices, just a totally cu.nty company.

This is true but as I'm a bit of a pretentious gee hole myself, I find Dunnes agrees with me.

LirW wrote: »

Ah come'on, this is AH :P

but besides that, is this thread alienating the D4 set now? Outraged I am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Aldi
    I’m an ex Tesco home shopping Driver.

It can be bloody stressful at times.

Then and even now we shop in Dunnes.

I had a staff discount card but it wasn’t worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Fresh produce......produce......produce...mmmmmmm.....produce

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Not Being Pedantic But

LirW wrote: »
    You'll find F&B are in Exchequer Steet D2 and Rathmines D6, Mortons is in Ranelagh also D6 and Avoca... D2, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin, Bray and Kilmacanogue, Wicklow and soon to be opened in Ballsbridge... D4!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

SuperValu
    Lidl for me, they consistently have the best fresh fruit and veg at reasonable prices.
    Our local Aldi is literally across the car park from Lidl, but I've pretty much stopped going there entirely, thier fruit and veg just aren't as good.
    I occasionally go to Tesco for things like yeast for baking, vegetarian worchestershire sauce, vegetarian suet, and sometimes some Quorn stuff.

For other things, I regularly got to our local Polish shop, and to a Pakistani shop that's near where I work.

I avoid Dunnes, I never was in any I liked, their range tends to be limited and the prices are just too high. 10 EUR vouchers on a 50 EUR shop makes no sense when our weekly shop rarely comes to more than 30 EUR in Lidl anyway.

SuperValu I find absolute bottom of the list. I hate even setting foot in our local one, even in the front you can smell the blood and meat from the counter way in the back. The choice isn't great, but they're happy to charge you for the privilege of queuing endlessly because the old one in front has to have a chat with the check-out girl... the place really winds me up.

Advertisement