Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite supermarket and why?

Tesco used to be my least favourite supermarket as I thought they offered the least value for money, but their website is absolutely fantastic and they will literally do your shopping for you and deliver it to your door for as little as 3 euro. So they are currently my favourite. They also seem to carry the widest/biggest range of products.

My previous favourite used to be Dunnes Stores. Their shop and save coupons offer exceptional value as it will deduct 10 euro from every 50 euro you spend. They carry a really good range of products in my opinion, second only to Tesco and they are Irish owned which is presumably a good thing.

Aldi were my favourite before that again. They have plenty of Irish products, not as many as the others but still quite a lot in my opinion. They offer the best value for money out of all of the supermarkets and still provide excellent quality. The checkout system is a little too intense for my liking, I know that's how they can save on costs but it's too much for me sometimes.
    Lidl is more or less the same as Aldi, just a little bit not as good as Aldi.

SuperValu seem to carry the most Irish products and the fresh ready meals they sell are by far the nicest. They have the best delis out of all the supermarkets in my opinion. Also Irish owned and more likely to have very local products on sale depending on the location.

Marks and Spencer's is rather pricey, but they have the best quality products on sale. And getting a few purchases in their from time to time is well worth it in my opinion. Such as their tea leaves and chocolate cookies which are as nice as it gets.

Londis/Centra/Spar don't really count as they are not really where anyone would do a weekly 'big shop'.

I'm aware that this might just be the most boring OP ever written on this forum, but I'm very bored today and felt like sharing my views on Irish supermarkets.

What supermarkets do you like best? 520 votes

Tesco
    0%
    Dunnes Stores
    19%
    VenomVictorBigConZhanemachiavellianmeAnnasopraPherekydesBadly Drunk BoyWitchieCinaspoofilyjdragonaJupiterKidTerrorFirmerhomerjay2005Scotty #bikosdanseoLordSutchcoffee_cake 99 votes
    Aldi
    10%
    VenomVictorPherekydesZiyconhomerjay2005Archerondotsmanytpe2r5bxkn0c1howamidifferentwiz569heebusjeebusNewApproachfergiesfollyDick Turnip0ph0rce0VinLiegerchosen1JuranThundercats Hoglic71rods46t0 52 votes
    Lidl
    28%
    RasTazenithbytesuper_furryLa_GordygenieZhanethe whole year innAlunSteve_oPherekydesBadly Drunk BoyKilOitBlackjackspoofilyjAglomerado[Deleted User]dragonakenmcJupiterKid 146 votes
    SuperValu
    22%
    zenithVictorbytesuper_furryLa_GordygeniePherekydesBadly Drunk BoyBlackjackspoofilyjAglomerado[Deleted User]GileadidragonakenmcDinxminxhomerjay2005bikoMonkeyTennisArcheron 117 votes
    Marks and Spencer's
    13%
    byteGibletAnnasopraPherekydesBlackjackspoofilyjAglomeradoJupiterKidZiyconm5ex9oqjawdg2ihomerjay2005Roanmoresdanseocoffee_cakeLone StoneTheBlockdotsmanxtal191Deerlazy-biker 68 votes
    Londis/Centra/Spar
    6%
    Venomsuper_furryPherekydesAglomeradoJupiterKidhomerjay2005sdanseoMonkeyTennisxtal191DeerTimothy BryceMalariRelikkthemandan6611SheepsmojesiusMSVforeverdaisybunMo14maryishere 32 votes
    I eat out bins so don't do any shopping in supermarkets
    1%
    VenomPherekydes2twelveburnsey1987Vowel Movementme_irl 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

SuperValu is my favourite for variety, but I'd have to get a second job if I wanted to do my weekly shop in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

2 of my favorites are independents , no option on the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SuperValu
    Lidl and Aldi hands down for me, for most bits. I can't wrap my head around people who do the weeks shopping in M&S unless they're obscenely rich, though they do make some great stuff and I pop in to pick up 2 or 3 bits here or there.

Dunnes are the only one I try to avoid, though Supervalu's prices can leave a bit to be desired at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Lidl
    donegal. wrote: »
    2 of my favorites are independents , no option on the poll?

Didn't think of them sorry. I was simply unaware that their are independent super markets as their is none around where I live. What part of the country are their independent supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dunnes Stores
    Tesco in generally for us. Staff are friendly, always clean, generally well stocked, has everything we need, good special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aldi
    Definitely dunnes, however their store layouts make no fvcking sense whatsoever, I get the intention is to make you walk through the entire store and buy things you hadnt thought of but its annoying as hell. Id still prefer shopping there over Tesco any day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Tesco online. I have a family, I work fulltime, I have no desire to spend my free time dragging a trolley around a supermarket when a few clicks will get it delivered to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Londis/Centra/Spar
    Marks and Spencers for the fancy stuff, Lidl and Aldi for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Not Being Pedantic But

My first post in years on this site and I cannot believe that despite all the serious issues affecting our Country right now and indeed in my own life that I'm compelled to comment on this thread!!

I used to be the biggest snob ever when it came to branding etc. I'm admittedly embarrassed and ashamed. Superquinn was our local supermarket where I grew up and again my local where I bought. Since Musgraves/ SuperValu took control I avoid. The fruit and veg is rotten before you even pass the till and they push their own brands down your face.

Dunnes Stores is the worst though and whilst I would love to support Irish, the staff are obviously all so miserable and unhelpful possibly understandably so due to their zero hour contracts.

Tesco- yuk.

I once could have afforded to shop in Donnybrook Fair and Avoca and do my main shop in M&S but I now love Lidl!! Fresh produce, lovely staff as they are empowered by management and have great promotion opportunities. Their cheese and wine is also of an excellent quality. I don't eat meat or fish so can't comment on that. Majority of their dairy products are supplied by well established, premium producers.

They demonstrate the despicable mark-up on products like facial wipes, shampoo and toothpaste etc. too.

Forgot to mention their bakery best bread ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Tesco, but tbh mostly because it's the closest. Usually do a stock up in Lidl or Aldi every few weeks and then a weekly one in Tesco. There's an M&S close to me, sometimes I run in at the end of the day and grab some reduced to clear stuff but I couldn't be shopping there regularly. They are the only supermarket I've found that sells potted herbs that don't immediately die though.

Avoid Dunnes unless I absolutely can't, nothing to do with the prices, just a totally cu.nty company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Marks and Spencer's
    SuperValu is easily the best.

Irish company
    Best products
    Big emphasis on local produce and suppliers
    Huge supporter of local communities
    Supervalu branded products are generally really good and in many case better than name branded products
    Proper butchers in all stores
    Excellent in house bakery

The mini Supervalu stores (Centra) are also really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SuperValu
    Marks and Spencers for the fancy stuff, Lidl and Aldi for the rest.

What sort of fancy stuff?

I really find M&S to be the most over hyped and over priced shop of all.

Also, a very poor selection of Irish produce.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    SuperValu is easily the best.

Irish company
    Best products
    Big emphasis on local produce and suppliers
    Huge supporter of local communities
    Supervalu branded products are generally really good and in many case better than name branded products
    Proper butchers in all stores
    Excellent in house bakery

The mini Supervalu stores (Centra) are also really good.

Before Musgraves/ SuperValu took over Superquinn they did actually employ professional butchers and fishmongers.

However, my Mum recently asked a girl behind the fish counter in SuperValu as to what she would suggest (I think it was like Cod versus Hake) and the girl said 'I haven't a clue I can't stand fish'. Some professional fishmonger right?!

Marks and Spencer's
    Before Musgraves/ SuperValu took over Superquinn they did actually employ professional butchers and fishmongers.

However, my Mum recently asked a girl behind the fish counter in SuperValu as to what she would suggest (I think it was like Cod versus Hake) and the girl said 'I haven't a clue I can't stand fish'. Some professional fishmonger right?!

my local Supervalu which was never a Superquinn has a real butcher and real fish monger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lidl
    I see M&S as all pre packed crap. Their meat is about 50% overpriced and usually English.

FxB's for meat and local fishmongers for fish.

Aldi for the rest.

Londis/Centra/Spar
    murpho999 wrote: »

Christmas and party food, lunches if I'm on the go and need to grab something, decent meal deals.

Wouldn't buy meat, veg or fish there and still don't think there's a better non-butcher steak that Aldi's fillet streaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

SuperValu
    Used to be Tesco but without going all advert on your ass*s, I now do my 'big shop' in Lidl and am saving about 30-40 quid on every shop. Limited choice means quicker getting around...although I do sometimes come home with some tupperware/toys/spatulas/car engine oil that I didn't have on the list - still saving a fortune compared with Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Marks and Spencer's
    This post has been deleted.

SuperValu

What I found them great for when I worked in town was when you finished a long/bad day in work and weren't going to be arsed properly cooking anything, their premade meals work out less than a takeaway and are generally really tasty, meat pies and pasta based stuff especially. Their cakes and cookies are also head and shoulders above competitors, so I'd usually wind up grabbing something there too.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    my local Supervalu which was never a Superquinn has a real butcher and real fish monger.

Very true... massive difference between the core locally-owned SuperValus and those that were sucked in. Good for you but 3 of my local (as in 5-15min drive) ex- Superquinns have now literally gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Lidl
    I also didn't include local butchers/fish mongers/farmers markets/regular markets/veg stalls ect. which I would use weekly myself. I just figured everybody literally has to do a shop in one of the big supermarket chains on a regular basis so thought to only include them in the poll options.

Londis/Centra/Spar
    The two Super Quinns I would have used have gone through the floor since the switch to Super Valu. It never made sense to me as Super Quinn seemed to be a much higher prestige brand. It would be like Tesco buying M&S and rebranding them all to Tesco Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SuperValu
    Billy86 wrote: »
    What I found them great for when I worked in town was when you finished a long/bad day in work and weren't going to be arsed properly cooking anything, their premade meals work out less than a takeaway and are generally really tasty, meat pies and pasta based stuff especially. Their cakes and cookies are also head and shoulders above competitors, so I'd usually wind up grabbing something there too.

Ok, I just don't like pre-packed meals. The idea of it just turns me off the food when it's just as easy to cook fresh.

I also wouldn't rate a supermarket because of their cakes, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I do Tesco online. If I go into the shop I spend a fortune but online I can fill the basket then give myself a stern talking to and take half of the crap out.
    I save a fortune doing it that way.

Aldi would be my second choice, if they did click and collect I would never go near Tesco again!

Dunned always astounds me at how much I manage to spend on everyday things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Aldi
    Dunnes, as it has great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I used to do a good bit of shopping in my local tesco till I read that one of their shops had a partial closure by the food safety people and I really hate getting the sh1ts.

FSAI
    Closure Order

It is issued if in the opinion of the authorised officer, there is or there is likely to be a grave and immediate danger to public health at/or in the food premises.

Wednesday, 9 August 2017

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) today reported that nine Closure Orders were served on food businesses during the month of July for breaches of food safety legislation, pursuant to the FSAI Act, 1998. The Enforcement Orders were issued by environmental health officers in the Health Service Executive.

Nine Closure Orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:

Punjab Pantry (restaurant/caf 39 Richmond Street South, Dublin 2
    Hartleys (restaurant/caf(Closed Area: basement dry goods store and basement cleaning store only), 1 Harbour Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
    Zam Zam Kebab House (restaurant/caf 16 Mallin Street, Wexford
    Moo's Burrito (restaurant/caf 62 Georges Street Upper, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
    Costa Coffee (restaurant/caf Unit 1 Longford Retail Park, Longford
    Tesco, Ballyfermot (supermarket) (Closed area: deli, bakery, and loose fruit and vegetable areas), Tesco Shopping Centre, Ballyfermot Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
    Weeping Thaiger (restaurant/caf New Town Centre, Naas, Kildare
    Aroma Chinese, 72 St Laurences Park, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
    Tasty Spice (take away), Main Street, Abbeyleix, Laois

Supervalue for me from now on

SuperValu
    Ok, I just don't like pre-packed meals. The idea of it just turns me off the food when it's just as easy to cook fresh.

I also wouldn't rate a supermarket because of their cakes, but that's just me.
    Well yeah I don't really look at them as a supermarket as I'd never look to buy 75% of the stuff in there like meat, pasta, dairy, bread, etc. I'm usually the same on premade meals but M&S would be an exception.

Marks and Spencer's
    The two Super Quinns I would have used have gone through the floor since the switch to Super Valu. It never made sense to me as Super Quinn seemed to be a much higher prestige brand. It would be like Tesco buying M&S and rebranding them all to Tesco Express.

Some of the Supervalu stores around the country are so good and way better than any of old the Superquinn (pre takeover). I bet you are in Dublin and suspect the Supervalu's up there are not as good?. Example Kinsale, Clonakilty, Bandon and Carrigaline Supervalu and especially Kinsale and Clonakilty which must be two of the best supermarkets in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Lidl
    I do most of my shopping in Aldi and pick up the few remaining bits in Tesco. I hate Super Valu. My local one is horrible, horrible layout, horrible staff, constant out of stocks and it was the same when it was Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

SuperValu
    Lidl. Once a week shopping in Lidl, and it has Tesco across the Road for the stuff that I can't get in Lidl. During the week if I have to pick bits and pieces up at the super fancy ones in Gorey.
    From time to time I have to go to the Asia Market in Dublin because I cook a lot of Asian food and they have everything I need that I'd never get in Tesco.

Advertisement