Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A month after Allen's estranged daughter Dylan Farrow penned an open letter accusing him of sexual abuse in 2014, Johansson told the Guardian: 'It's not like this is somebody that's been prosecuted and found guilty of something, and you can then go, "I don't support this lifestyle or whatever." I mean, it's all guesswork.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

The Daily mail shows her getting pally with Polanski also.

But this was before she swallowed the blue pill of 4th wave feminism. Tbh, this is the lady who was once a promising actress, and then went insane-going for the glory. And the money.

Wait

Hqd skipped on this thread for a while and have only read the last few pages...is there a majority opinion in the thread that the Ansari article is anything other than a shambolic hatchet job and a fairly obvious indication that this cleanse has gone far enough?

Wait

Hqd skipped on this thread for a while and have only read the last few pages...is there a majority opinion in the thread that the Ansari article is anything other than a shambolic hatchet job and a fairly obvious indication that this cleanse has gone far enough?

Nope, the Anzari story has pretty much tainted him. Possible death of career.

Nope, the Anzari story has pretty much tainted him. Possible death of career.

Yeah I know I get that what I was asking was if the opinion in the thread is that it was anything other than a bullsh1t hatchet job of a story

Yeah I know I get that what I was asking was if the opinion in the thread is that it was anything other than a bullsh1t hatchet job of a story

You need to understand that most people don't care whether it's true or not. It's the same with the articles that are being written online. You'll see a single paragraph highlighting all the reasons why the original story is flawed, and then you'll see two pages talking about the plight of women, how men mistreat them, and how difficult it is for women to gain the support they deserve. They'll point out that it comes down to two peoples opinion, since there is no way to prove what happened, and naturally, they should believe the woman because so many victims have been ignored in the past.

Aziz doesn't matter to most people. They've already convicted him in their heads, because they feel that he should be convicted. His innocence doesn't matter. Instead, it's simply the feeling that men accused of this behavior should be punished.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is dead.

Even if he was to cry out his innocence, most people wouldn't listen/care. The article got in there first and established his guilt in their minds. The discrepancies within the article don't matter.

Personally, I see Aziz as being the victim here, but I'm in the minority on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Rather funny how this is still going considering most of the women knew what Weinstein was like, many of them slept with him to get work and now they all pretend they didn't have a clue and isn't it just shocking.

Rather funny how this is still going considering most of the women knew what Weinstein was like, many of them slept with him to get work and now they all pretend they didn't have a clue and isn't it just shocking.

Victims bear no responsibility for being victims. (If you're female).

Victims bear no responsibility for being victims. (If you're female).
    Majority of them aren't victims, most of them slept with him to get work and did it knowingly. That is just the truth of the matter but you aren't allowed to point out the truth anymore. Most people in Hollywood know that is what happened. What Weinstein should be in court for is the rape allegations of which you have some which should be looked into.

Majority of them aren't victims, most of them slept with him to get work and did it knowingly. That is just the truth of the matter but you aren't allowed to point out the truth anymore. Most people in Hollywood know that is what happened. What Weinstein should be in court for is the rape allegations of which you have some which should be looked into.

Oh, I agree. I'd suggest that many of them made a choice between gaining power/fame/influence from him and taking the slower riskier path...

But you'll find plenty of reasons or excuses to avoid assigning any responsibility for those choices. It's the victim mentality.

On the other hand, I do believe some of them genuinely were victims, and were abused/assaulted by him and his ilk.

And yes, you can still point out the "truth"... it's just that few people are actually interested anymore.

Oh, I agree. I'd suggest that many of them made a choice between gaining power/fame/influence from him and taking the slower riskier path...

But you'll find plenty of reasons or excuses to avoid assigning any responsibility for those choices. It's the victim mentality.

On the other hand, I do believe some of them genuinely were victims, and were abused/assaulted by him and his ilk.

And yes, you can still point out the "truth"... it's just that few people are actually interested anymore.
    Of course victims exist, the guy is a lunatic and a weirdo. But I just question the holier than thou mentality of these Hollywood actresses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    James Franco's sister in law Alison Brie got asked on SAG red carpet, she replied, "I think that above all what we've always said is that it remains vital that anyone who feels victimized should and does have the right to speak out and come forward. I obviously support my family and not everything that's been reported is fully accurate, so I think we're waiting to get all of the information. But of course I think now is a time for listening and that's what we're all trying to do."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/alison-brie-james-franco-sexual-misconduct-claims-sag-awards-red-carpet-2018-1076579

Pretty sh1tty spot to put someone in. She handled that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I saw a seth rogan movie called "the night before"... Apocalypse now it certainly is not, however I knew what I wanted and watched it and it was satisfactory. However Franco makes an appearance and it's quite funny.. What's funnier is he obviously playing the alleged pest James Franco that we see in the media now ... So that's interesting. He's obviously aware of who he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Regarding Aziz, did the complainant also make a complaint to her local police department?

Ipso wrote: »
    Regarding Aziz, did the complainant also make a complaint to her local police department?

Nope. None of the articles I've read have said so. [Just the usual excuse, that assault is difficult to prove and therefore they understand her "logic" in going public]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I suppose things are easier to prove on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,416 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

While presenting the nominees for Best Actress in a Limited Series at the SAG Awards Sunday night, actors Rosanna Arquette and Marisa Tomei took a moment to thank the women who spoke out in 2017 and began the #MeToo movement against Hollywood’s sexual harassment.

“We are inspired that so many powerful voices are no longer silenced by the fear of retaliation,” Arquette said. “We can control our own destiny.”

Tomei then stepped in, pointing out that Arquette herself is one of the many “silence breakers” who came forward with her own allegations against producer Harvey Weinstein. “Rosanna, you are one of those voices,” Tomei noted, turning to her co-presenter. “We all owe you a debt of gratitude.”

At this, Arquette grew visibly emotional and added that she’s not the only one who should be acknowledged. “I’m here supporting many women,” she said, listing Asia Argento, Annabella Sciorra, Ashley Judd, Daryl Hannah, Mira Sorvino, and Olivia Munn. She also added Anthony Rapp, after Tomei mentioned the actor as well. “All of you,” Tomei concluded, “thank you.”

No mention of Rose McGowan or Dylan Farrow

http://ew.com/awards/2018/01/21/rosanna-arquette-marisa-tomei-sag-awards-silence-breakers/

Or Natasha Henstridge - who spoke about being raped by Ratner. He masturbated in front of Munn, he violated Natasha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm not sure what information she is waiting for though, she is related to him so has his side and we've heard the side of those women so what further information can be given??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'm not sure what information she is waiting for though, she is related to him so has his side and we've heard the side of those women so what further information can be given??

Something other than gossip maybe, like a charge?

cloudatlas wrote: »

To be fair, the only accusation that has any merit is the one about him removing the safeguards during the filming of a sex scene. Some of the accusations include, "he paid me to be naked for $100 and I agreed but it was wrong for him to make me do nudity" and one from his ex-girlfriend in which he took his dick out and asked for a blowjob, something I'd say many men have done when hoping for the best.

More stuff about Franco may come out but so far there's nothing he has done that should see his career destroyed.

• Advertisement

Franco got no Oscar nomination but Gerwig did

Franco got no Oscar nomination but Gerwig did

If she wins, Del Toro will be robbed. He's been working for 25 years+, having so many projects cancelled that all that remains is beautiful concept art.
    And Shape of Water is a real tear jerker.

To be fair, the only accusation that has any merit is the one about him removing the safeguards during the filming of a sex scene. Some of the accusations include, "he paid me to be naked for $100 and I agreed but it was wrong for him to make me do nudity" and one from his ex-girlfriend in which he took his dick out and asked for a blowjob, something I'd say many men have done when hoping for the best.

More stuff about Franco may come out but so far there's nothing he has done that should see his career destroyed.

I merely asked what further information was needed, you are answering a different question.

No idea who he is, but Enzo Amore is allegedly famous, and has been kicked out of WWE amid a rape allegation.
    http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/23/wwe-fires-enzo-amore-in-wake-of-rape-allegations/

His accuser has come forward.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/23/enzo-amore-accuser-philomena-sheahan-rape-wwe/

She has a chequered history tho, tho the swift reaction suggests Enzo's done it before.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/01/miss-gucci-witch-philomena/

just reading this thread back, we'll be a long long time posting if we point out every scumbag, rapist, sexual harasser and dirtbag in the USA!!

As a culture that calls itself, civilized, it really needs to take a look at itself!!
    Barack Obama had to actually address a string of spousal abuse cases within the NFL ALONE.. Below shows one head liner!! This same lad probably refused to stand for the anthem in protest against trump, what a patriot and hero!!!
    America really is the land of "do as I say, not as I do'ers"

The only difference between all these Celebs/sports stars/music & media moguls and say your average serial rapist would be nice clothes, a gold statue and very well paid legal team!! If you're a shark in a tank full of gold fish, everyone else is wary of you, they know who and what you are and so act accordingly. If you wanna blend in, then swim with sharks and you can all feast on the weak whilst it just seems normal really, part of life, what you do!!
    That what I see at the Oscars..... Weinstien had a big dorsal big fin and it was go along or get eaten..literally!
    Now look at how they are all turning on their hero woody Allen, a feeding frenzy to keep up the shark analogy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/nfl/video-1118515/NFL-player-Ray-Rice-punches-fiancee-Janay-Palmer-face.html

Trying to make an equivalence between someone coming at ya to being a serial rapist. Think it's time to close the thread.

Well Polanski is a serial rapist if his MO is to be believed!
    Weinstiens being accused of rape more than once, that's a serial!

and this whole thread is hypothesis til they have their day in court, I don't see it as a wild assertion or reason to close a thread. I obviously don't mean all of them FFS.

rusty cole wrote: »
    As a culture that calls itself, civilized, it really needs to take a look at itself!!

Unless you're solely looking at Hollywood/celeb culture, then I'd have to say that society and culture in general has been examined and been found wanting well before the Weinstein claims arose.

The western world/civilization has laws to protect women from these kinds of attention/behavior. The law can only do so much with the remainder coming down to technology and the public response to those laws.

Fact is, Weinstein would have been put away long before now if the people who had been assaulted, had come forward, reported him to the law, and pushed for his sentencing (like they're doing now). I've heard so many reasons (excuses) why people didn't come forward, but they always had the option of using the law. They didn't (in enough numbers to matter).

Is the system perfect? Hell no. I can't think of any system that humans have created to manage themselves, being perfect. And anything that would be "perfect" would be tyrannical in nature.

Without the public to report and push the law to work, then the law cannot be of any use. Culture is just a handy excuse.

Watching the team USA gymnastics ladies testifying has been powerful.

• Advertisement

Has Weinstein been charged yet?

Advertisement