Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland's mentality contribute to Anxiety/Mental Health issues?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I sometimes feel like an absolute freak for not being a drinker and in my late 30s, and weirdly its actually gotten WORSE as I age. I used to always get the smart sayings from friends and co workers when I was younger, ah whats wrong with you, Jesus I don't know anyone who doesn't drink etc etc. Some days it didn't bother me, others it became a depressing drain.
    Whether you drink or not seems to be the sole point on which you are worth knowing or not in a huge number of peoples minds in Ireland. Very sad.

How lucky to live a life of sobriety. No rational adult would care. They care cos they are drunks. Social life, indeed life revolves around drink to drunks or heavy drinkers, feck all interest in anything else. Wouldnt worry what they say or think, all a load of insecure guff.

Living a sober life is virtuous takes strentgh. Many folk are weak, turn to the bottle to deal with life,emotions,feeling.
    Theres nobility in sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

How lucky to live a life of sobriety. No rational adult would care. They care cos they are drunks. Social life, indeed life revolves around drink to drunks or heavy drinkers, feck all interest in anything else. Wouldnt worry what they say or think, all a load of insecure guff.

Living a sober life is virtuous takes strentgh. Many folk are weak, turn to the bottle to deal with life,emotions,feeling.
    Theres nobility in sobriety.

Thanks for the reply. Another simpler factor is I simply don't like the taste! I have tried so many types of drinks and alcohol just doesn't do it for me. Some people get offended or even worse peddle the line "Oh you just haven't found the right one yet" which really annoys me. Needless to say I don't stay late to social events as the thought of listening to people spout crap when they are tanked up is not appealing in the slightest.
    Can be lonely at times but I am what I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

buried wrote: »
    I hate that $hite. I drink myself but to Hell with people like that. Waste of energy listening to that pathetic $hite. The majority of folk that come out with that sort of silly f**king noise have literally no interests or any outlet for their free time except going down the pub getting totally $hitfaced and yabbering and shlabberin on about absolutely nothing. Don't let them drag you down and into their cursed earth. Let them off

It's the same thing with food. Id somebody orders something simply off the menu or orders their meat well done. People get so worked up about it and spend ages commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

djPSB wrote: »
    Have the suicide prevention measures in recent years worked?

I have my doubts.

Suicide prevention measures? You'll have to educate me here. There doesn't seem to be enough money in it for anyone to bother spending the money on it that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

When did this accounting happen? Was there an apartment meeting every day? Seems crazy.

It was about 6 years ago. There was never really an apartment meeting but people were just so nosy living on top of one another in my experience. I found the same in the suburbs and housing estates. I suppose I might be lucky in country area I am in. Whilst all the neigbhours get on. They are never fights/bickering/no real keeping up with the Jones. They'd be the odd bit of gossip but this is mainly to do with what shops are opening in the town nearby.
    There was a bit of gossip earlier this year but this lady even made the newspaper over what she did.

Really? Your neighbours used to quiz you on where you were coming and going from? That's bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Really? Your neighbours used to quiz you on where you were coming and going from? That's bizarre.

Yes, I never experienced nosy neighbours in my house in the countryside. I found in towns/cities I could never get rid of people with questions/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Yes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, mainly because of the drink culture and begrudgery. The legacy of the huge amount of abuse children endured under the church and abusive parents have been factors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The rain, and the drink. Alcohol is a depressant, and as it's linked to all sports; either watching or playing it, it increases the chances of it affecting people. As Ireland is a wet country most of the time, most activities are indoors, and most indoor activities that involve adults involve availability of alcohol.

Another cause, IMO, of the high rate of suicides is the low rate of suicides recorded. Especially in rural Ireland, suicides weren't marked as suicides, thus no money was pumped into places that needed it. Some see a suicide as "a mark of shame", and leave it off the death record to "spare the family". However, this means it wouldn't be marked as a suicide, and thus people don't think as many die from suicide.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/10-of-single-vehicle-crashes-are-suicide-bids-250258.html
    Dr John McElwain, professor of trauma orthopaedic surgery at the centre, estimated around 10% of cases dealt with each year involving a single-vehicle collision with a sole occupant were suspected attempted suicides.
    And this is just counting the attempts. Every so often you'll hear of a well known person dying after hitting a tree on a straight road. I'm sure some may be accidents, but I doubt that they all are.

Advertisement