Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland's mentality contribute to Anxiety/Mental Health issues?

Options
  • 04-10-2017 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I know that this is a global problem however I do believe that certain triggers are here as regards contributing to anxiety or mental health issues among the populace, the parish pump thing where people whom have never had a conversation with you have opinions about you, the sort of disingenuous con artist who every Irish person knows of that always has their best face on, has the lot in life and looks down their nose at you for not having a spouse or kids, the smallness of the society, only one real major city which is even a hicksville set against big cities in Europe, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Yes.
    In some parts of this country no matter how young old or rich poor one is, if they are not signed up in some official capacity to a local sports club that is a stain on their image. They may become pariahs.
    Articulating a different opinion on something by somebody in many places can also make them an object of derision and persona non grata: political correctness

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The rest of the world, including UK, is lucky to have avoided these specifically Irish issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Some people gain great support by living in small, intimate communities, be they urban or rural, where people look out for each other more.
    If you are living in a new apartment block would you notice not seeing your neighbour for a week?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was in my local leisure centre last year, and there was a group of us talking in the sauna as we always do... after 10 minutes one guy got up and left, but came back in 2 minutes later.. 'just in case we were talking about him' he said. And even though this was said in jest, he wasn't joking at the same time...

People in rural Ireland are hyper-sensitive to what is being said about them and how they are being spoken about. They have good reason to be, because it is a country full of gossips.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was in my local leisure centre last year, and there was a group of us talking in the sauna as we always do... after 10 minutes one guy got up and left, but came back in 2 minutes later.. 'just in case we were talking about him' he said. And even though this was said in jest, he wasn't joking at the same time...

People in rural Ireland are hyper-sensitive to what is being said about them and how they are being spoken about. They have good reason to be, because it is a country full of gossips.

That is a very standard joking comment that can be made by anyone under lots of circumstances. If you are taking it seriously it reflects your apparently somewhat paranoid attitude to other people - exactly what you are accusing him of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's the rain and the alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Have the suicide prevention measures in recent years worked?

I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

dd972 wrote: »
    I know that this is a global problem however I do believe that certain triggers are here as regards contributing to anxiety or mental health issues among the populace, the parish pump thing where people whom have never had a conversation with you have opinions about you, the sort of disingenuous con artist who every Irish person knows of that always has their best face on, has the lot in life and looks down their nose at you for not having a spouse or kids, the smallness of the society, only one real major city which is even a hicksville set against big cities in Europe, etc.

You are projection your own issue on the nation, seriously the fact that Dublin is a small major city is one of the contributors to mental ill health?. I know this is easier said that done but stop thinking and ruminating on what others are thinking or saying about you and concentrate on yourself.

The weather could possible be a small factor in metal ill health.

djPSB wrote: »
    Have the suicide prevention measures in recent years worked?

I have my doubts.
    I think objectively they have worked in that suicide in the targeted age cohort has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think objectively they have worked in that suicide in the targeted age cohort has fallen.

That does not prove they worked, just that the rate fell at the same time.

• Advertisement

That does not prove they worked, just that the rate fell at the same time.

That is a very very sensible point. While it would be unethical to maintain a control in this circumstance; the rate of suicide among men over thirty five has NOT fallen (this group was not targeted) and in fact I believe that the highest rate is now men in their late forties (though much lower - again I believe I don't have the figures than it was for men in their late teens or men in their early thirties).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

looksee wrote: »
    That is a very standard joking comment that can be made by anyone under lots of circumstances. If you are taking it seriously it reflects your apparently somewhat paranoid attitude to other people - exactly what you are accusing him of.

He was right.. they were talking about him when he left the sauna, as happens frequently when someone does leave the sauna, and he knew it :)

If I can put it another way, there is a lot of 'who got off the bus?' mentality in rural Ireland. People are inclined to be nosey, and they make it their business to know other people's business.

When we moved to this area first, our post just automatically started arriving at the house which we had just bought. We didn't need to notify the post office of who we were or where we lived, the postman already knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭fyfe79

So, so many factors in this country. It's difficult to know where to start.

Weather. Keeping up with the Jones' and worrying too much about others think about us. Historical connection to land making us overburden ourselves with big mortgages. A generally gossipy populace makes one paranoid (I feel this one, anyway). Our smaller than desired gene pool perhaps makes us more susceptible to depression, like it has to cystic fibrosis and other Celt ailments. Using alcohol as a crutch to overcome catholic guilt, which still lingers even though we're quite secular now. Corrupt politicians and the lack of a real alternative. A population becoming overworked and aggressive against eachother, but more subservient to the corrupt politicians than ever before. Over exposure to US and UK trends, diets, media etc.. which confuses our identity.

The general feeling I have in this country is that it's not ok to be different and people in general are nice to your face but cut you to pieces behind your back. In other words, I think our 'friendly Irish' image is a complete sham. Other European nationalities are more forthright and direct than the Irish, which may come across poorly to us, but they are more genuine and less likely to bitch behind your back. All my opinion only, of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

That is a very very sensible point. While it would be unethical to maintain a control in this circumstance; the rate of suicide among men over thirty five has NOT fallen (this group was not targeted) and in fact I believe that the highest rate is now men in their late forties (though much lower - again I believe I don't have the figures than it was for men in their late teens or men in their early thirties).

Of course it is possible that the measures worked, but we would also have to account for other changes. Maybe emigration among young men over this period took a lot of the at-risk people abroad? Lots of variables to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

fyfe79 wrote: »
    So, so many factors in this country. It's difficult to know where to start.

Weather. Keeping up with the Jones' and worrying too much about others think about us. Historical connection to land making us overburden ourselves with big mortgages. A generally gossipy populace makes one paranoid (I feel this one, anyway). Our smaller than desired gene pool perhaps makes us more susceptible to depression, like it has to cystic fibrosis and other Celt ailments. Using alcohol as a crutch to overcome catholic guilt, which still lingers even though we're quite secular now. Corrupt politicians and the lack of a real alternative. A population becoming overworked and aggressive against eachother, but more subservient to the corrupt politicians than ever before. Over exposure to US and UK trends, diets, media etc.. which confuses our identity.

The general feeling I have in this country is that it's not ok to be different and people in general are nice to your face but cut you to pieces behind your back. In other words, I think our 'friendly Irish' image is a complete sham. Other European nationalities are more forthright and direct than the Irish, which may come across poorly to us, but they are more genuine and less likely to bitch behind your back. All my opinion only, of course :)

True. All that stuff combined would drive anyone bananas.
    Regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

A lot of people seem to be be so worried about what others think or say about them or Mary down the road bought a new car I have to now.

My attitude is very much take me how I am or F off and I couldn't care less what other people do
    I look after myself my OH and our son and don't worry about anyone else or what the do/say.
    But some people need to worry all day everyday about everybody else but themselves

Some observations in general on suicide:

Is suicide now considered more of an option than it would have been say 20/30 years ago.

- Years ago, there was much less publicity about suicide. It was something that wouldn't be talked about that often or if a suicide did occur it would be kept very hush hush by the family. It was seen as a terrible thing for someone to put their family through. This view still exists but it's not the same message that's communicated publicly on the impact it will have on the family that have to live with the situation.

- then because suicide awareness wouldn't have been as high as it is now, would less people have even considered it as an option. So nowadays, when a person feels depressed or unwell, suicide is considered as an option for a lot of people especially young people. Is suicide awareness actually creating more publicity about suicide and therefore more think of it as an option.

- then social media. People are feeling down or depressed about things that can be trivial which I don't think would have existed in the past. People benchmark their lives of their friends' perfect lives on social media. Back in the day, people were happy to have what they had themselves and didn't give a toss what Tommy over the road had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Fyfe79 - you hit the nail on the head there.

A lot of pressure people put on themselves to keep up with the Jones'. Especially when they're taking out loans and paying high monthly payments to pay for their '172' car when they can't really afford it.

People marrying just cos it's the 'done thing' and feeling pressure from others around them.
    Constant bombardment of the same old questions - marriage, buying houses, children, regardless of whether you can afford to or even want to.

"Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life."
    People need to shake off the mentality of 'I'll be happy when I..'. Try and be happy in your everyday little things instead of always comparing yourself to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Young children here are routinely told off for being "bold".

Bold means brave, strong, courageous. You actually tell kids off for this. What do you expect the result will be.

I've several times had to explain to immigrant parents that the teacher wasn't being complementary about their kid. It ain't fun.

Bold means brave, strong, courageous. You actually tell kids off for this. What do you expect the result will be.

I've several times had to explain to immigrant parents that the teacher wasn't being complementary about their kid. It ain't fun.

But back in the day, kids were beaten at school if they did something wrong. Quite severely beaten and it was very very wrong. And they got through life with a lot less mental health issues than young people nowadays do. They had alot more right to be down or depressed than any young person now does but that wasn't the case.

It wouldn't be good to go back to those days but to a degree kids are mollycollied too much these days. And when they hit the big bad world in their teens and when they go on to get a job, they have no experience of dealing with it and people not being nice to them the whole time. Which is another driver for mental health issues. People are suddenly thrust into an environment which is totally alien to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Excellent point. Even in the UK bold is rarely if ever used to chastise a kid. In Ireland, kids aren't bold anymore. They have ADHD. Get prescribed amphetamines, and apparently they are cured. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I think thats just the way we use the word though. To Irish people it means naughty, not brave. Words can have different meanings in different countries.

But back in the day, kids were beaten at school if they did something wrong. Quite severely beaten and it was very very wrong. And they got through life with a lot less mental health issues than young people nowadays do. They had alot more right to be down or depressed than any young person now does ...
    Many of them did have that right.

...but that wasn't the case.
    How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

In my experience to get ahead in Ireland, it's not what you know, but who you know thats matter & money does most of the talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

I certainly don't believe that that highly parochial, inward looking outlook is prevalent absolutely anywhere at all in Ireland, but it does exist in pockets.

I am not from such a place but I had cause to experience that kind of mindset a few years ago and it was awful. I can see how it would have a bad effect on someone who doesn't conform to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Short answer - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There could be a lot of issues at play with this type of mentality among certain people. A certain cohort of Irish people can be very competitive to one another by giving themselves a small boost to their own egos in unhealthy ways. There can be a lot of personal pettiness among these people when they are competing against one another which is not so good to look at when you are witnessing it from the naked eye.

The only questions that I would ask is why does this level of competition happen regularly among these people in Ireland.

What are the perceived gains or benefits that they can get from this competition when it's among their own friends or neighbours.

Does it happen to make both of themselves feel better or does it happen just to set some point scoring among one another.

I just cringe when I see it happen among certain people that have known each other for a very long time.

There could be a lot of issues at play with this type of mentality among certain people. A certain cohort of Irish people can be very competitive to one another by giving themselves a small boost to their own egos in unhealthy ways. There can be a lot of personal pettiness among these people when they are competing against one another which is not so good to look at when you are witnessing it from the naked eye.

The only questions that I would ask is why does this level of competition happen regularly among these people in Ireland.

What are the perceived gains or benefits that they can get from this competition when it's among their own friends or neighbours.

Does it happen to make both of themselves feel better or does it happen just to set some point scoring among one another.

I just cringe when I see it happen among certain people that have known each other for a very long time.

Irish people in general are selfish and greedy. Probably a culture that has become engrained in us through public policies and the Celtic Tiger.

When it comes to the budget next week, most people would much prefer to have more money put into their own pockets if given a choice over public services like proper transport systems. Most of the media attention will focus on which cohorts have benefited most rather than which public services are being targeted over the next year for investment. And it's hard for government to satisfy because at the end of the day if they want to be re elected, they have to choose the populist strategy.

During the 'good times' people weren't happy with having one house. They needed two or three. They weren't happy with a mortgage for €200k when they could get €500k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

Irish people in general are selfish and greedy.
    Bit harsh! Irish people also have a reputation for being charitable.

What I do agree with though, is that there is a crazy sense of entitlement in this country (and others).
    When it comes to the budget next week, most people would much prefer to have more money put into their own pockets if given a choice over public services like proper transport systems. Most of the media attention will focus on which cohorts have benefited most rather than which public services are being targeted over the next year for investment. And it's hard for government to satisfy because at the end of the day if they want to be re elected, they have to choose the populist strategy.
    Agreed there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 Joshies

Yes,.

The Irish are also racist.

Advertisement