Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I was there for a week in September.

I went on a beer and fanny bender. It was good craic. Literally and metaphorically

What were the Dutch girls like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Go for it! Enjoy!

Lived there for 10 years- it's a beautiful place.The Dutch are great- tell it like it is - zero bull****! I love that!
    Need to know where you intend to be.... I cannot describe my level of jealousy!

A lot use that excuse of telling it like it is to give air to their racism. On first impressions it is a liberal and relaxed place. Scratch the surface and there is a puratanical and racist underbelly and a deep xenophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Was back over there last weekend. Absolutely love the place.

Hung out mostly in the Jordaan district this time. Lovely part of the city to stroll around with some great bars and coffeeshops. A million miles away from the sleaze and trashiness of the rld.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Was back over there last weekend. Absolutely love the place.

Hung out mostly in the Jordaan district this time. Lovely part of the city to stroll around with some great bars and coffeeshops. A million miles away from the sleaze and trashiness of the rld.

De Pijp is nice too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Grayson wrote: »
    I've been to the Van Gogh museum/gallery 3 times so far. Could easily go back a 4th.
    I wasn't blown away by it tbh... Much preferred moco and stedelijk

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Will check it out next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ever been? I've close relatives who live just outside the city so I visit quite often and know the city well. But walking through the Red Light District is like walking through Temple Bar in Dublin. Coffee shops are a distinct advantage but the city offers so much in the way of beautiful historic urban architecture, museums, galleries and shopping. The canals add so much to the character of Amsterdam.

What's your experience of Amsterdam?

I've only been there once, and couldn't wait to get out of it.

Its one of the few places I've visited that I've no wish to ever return to.

And the single most boring experience of my life was taking one of those canal barge tours.

Wasn't for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I've only been there once, and couldn't wait to get out of it.

Its one of the few places I've visited that I've no wish to ever return to.

And the single most boring experience of my life was taking one of those canal barge tours.

Wasn't for me at all.

Worse than the daily commute home ? Jeez it was hardly that bad

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Over in Holland at the moment staying with my big sis and her family in a little town 23km north of Amsterdam. Been into the city to meet a friend for lunch and to see an exhibition of modern art. Went cycling in the Dutch countrysude yesterday. The beautiful architecture of Amsterdam never gets old and I love a city that puts people before cars.

Off in there today too - going to swim in the nude in the beautiful Zuiderbad and later a hot date in the gay district.

I love Amsterdam! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wakka12 wrote: »
    Worse than the daily commute home ? Jeez it was hardly that bad

Don't know what you mean, but I commute by bike (motorbike or bicycle) so my commute are never a chore or boring. Plus my route takes me along the coast from Fairview to Portmarnock so its beautiful too.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    Will check it out next time
    So I decided to stay in De Pijp on my latest visit. Loved it and would definitely stay there again. Found some great bars and coffeeshops. Didn't go near the Dam Square/RLD area once for the 3 days I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Clara B

Hi all
    So-looking to go to Amsterdam with the other half for some fun and frollicks for a weekend! I am
    a woman if that makes any difference! We fancy a weekend away that’s a little outside our safe zone.14 years in so looking to let our hair down😉
    We want to stay somewhere central-within walking distance of all the attractions. I have never seen a red light district and really want to experience that side of Amsterdam. I am a total prude but want to use this trip to open my eyes and expand my horizons. I really want to visit the red light district, see a peep show, get a lapdance.....yolo!
    Any recommendations for sites to visit and stay-other than the trip advisor recommendations and accommodation would be much appreciated. We want somewhere that’s nice and central and are happy with self catering.

TIA
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I stayed at the NH Caransa on Rembrandt square....

It’s a 4 star hotel, recently renovated by the looks of things, close to good transport links, good eateries and central enough.

Probably closer to a 3 star when I stayed there but the nice upgrade and modernization pics I’m seeing on trip advisor have it closer to 4 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I was there recently and stayed in the American hotel it was very central and the rooms overlooked the canals
    Reasonable priced too

In terms of things to do :

I d highly recommend the Heineken museum tour very interesting

Canal tour

RLD

Vondelpark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Amsterdam? It's Bangkok you need ffs

Advertisement