Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Well I’ll definitely have had a good weekend if I’m tempted back that quick.

Found this guide on clubs so best thing I’ve found.... https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/mar/22/10-best-clubs-in-amsterdam-chosen-by-dj-experts....don’t know local websites..

back home i meant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Well I’ll definitely have had a good weekend if I’m tempted back that quick.

Found this guide on clubs so best thing I’ve found.... https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/mar/22/10-best-clubs-in-amsterdam-chosen-by-dj-experts....don’t know local websites..

back home i meant :pac:

Ah right 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Pretty but dull would be my opinion.

What?

Beautiful city.Lived there for a few years. Own an apartment there and go back frequently.

Feels like home. The city is full of little places to hide and eat and drink and read.

And go mental later if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aivilo

I’m heading over next weekend. Any particularly good good places to eat not too expensive?
    Also where’s a good music bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Avoid the large cruiser boats that go from Damrak.

These guys are successful for very good reason

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g188590-d8064405-Reviews-Those_Dam_Boat_Guys-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Heading over myself next week to see Fever Ray. Hopefully the debauchery won't get too intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What's your experience of Amsterdam?
    Awesome city, just don't talk to strangers on the street after 23:00 or they'll think you want the harder drugs, and will not stop trying to sell them to you.

Nice place. Will probably go back, but for longer than a weekend, and during the summer months so I can wander around the city a bit more.

Anyone got any good apps for the city? Transport orientated...like where you enter one landmark/street and enter another as your destination and it tells you the tram etc to take?

Anyone got any good apps for the city? Transport orientated...like where you enter one landmark/street and enter another as your destination and it tells you the tram etc to take?
    Google Maps does that here in Toronto; I'd say it does it there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Try get over for King's day. Their national day brilliant atmosphere, imagine St patrick's day but more fun and less teenage drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

9292.nl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm probably in a minority of one when I say I didn't like Amsterdam at all, in fact after two days there I couldn't get out quick enough.

I wouldn't go back.

Fav European city for me is Krakov.

aivilo wrote: »
    I’m heading over next weekend. Any particularly good good places to eat not too expensive?

Blauw Brug Cafe in the Waterlooplein. Great ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

aivilo wrote: »

Tales and spirits for cocktails and food...very cool place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm probably in a minority of one when I say I didn't like Amsterdam at all, in fact after two days there I couldn't get out quick enough.

I wouldn't go back.

nah, youre not on your own, I was never a massive fan of the place either.

I dont do dope, and not a fan of Heineken so probably missing out on 2 of the main advantages of Amsterdam.
    Yes the architecture is grand but I'd visit The Hague or Maastricht or Bruges or Leuven quicker (still have to get to Antwerp and Ghent) in the bigger scheme of things.

I have fond memories of Amsterdam but they're all from when I was in my 20s. I do smoke grass, but TBH you can get better gear in other parts of the country. Club scene is fun but I'm 'kinda' past that now (momentary lapses in judgment).

I wouldn't pick Amsterdam as a choice destination anymore. TBH I'd pick Munich as being a far better city. And getting something to smoke is rarely difficult in any European city.

I'm surprised some people aren't fans, I think it's a beautiful place, lots of great bars and restaurants, maybe avoid the really touristy areas and the red light districts.
    I would recommend yelp and definitely TripAdvisor for food and bars and things to do

I wouldn't go back.

Each to their own but I wasnt a huge fan of Krakow. The main things I went to were all outside the city (like the salt mines, Auschwitz). Krakow I found pretty dull, the people weren't friendly and the food and bars were generally poor.
    I should say bar the Jewish quarter which had some fun places (singer was brilliant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

gmisk wrote: »
    Each to their own but I wasnt a huge fan of Krakow. The main things I went to were all outside the city (like the salt mines, Auschwitz). Krakow I found pretty dull, the people weren't friendly and the food and bars were generally poor.
    I should say bar the Jewish quarter which had some fun places (singer was brilliant!)

I agree. Pretty place but it wasn't that friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Was there a few years ago for a weekend.

Great place. Very relaxed. Lots to see and do.

Would love to go back. It's an 'experience'. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gmisk wrote: »

Yes I agree on the bars, they weren't my fav part of Krakov but then if there were Irish or UK style bars we'd mock them for it.

I loved the food and ate steak tartar for the first time, and even raw (seasoned) horse meat.

I like that east Europeans aren't in your face friendly, I see it as them just minding their own business and keeping out of mine.

Amsterdam, well I'm too old for clubs (52 today) but the bars were grand however I found it difficult to find good food.

Done the canal boat tour, it was the dullest most boring couple of hours of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wouldn't go back.

Krakow is lovely. I found the people to be fairly friendly but I speak a bit of Polish so that probably helped. The women are absolutely stunning too. I didn't really like Amsterdam either. I met some great people there but the city itself wouldn't be to my liking.

Yes I agree on the bars, they weren't my fav part of Krakov but then if there were Irish or UK style bars we'd mock them for it.

I loved the food and ate steak tartar for the first time, and even raw (seasoned) horse meat.

I like that east Europeans aren't in your face friendly, I see it as them just minding their own business and keeping out of mine.

Amsterdam, well I'm too old for clubs (52 today) but the bars were grand however I found it difficult to find good food.

Done the canal boat tour, it was the dullest most boring couple of hours of my life.

TBF Napoleon's legions, Adolf's Panzers and America's ICBMs have probably contributed to that feature of their attitude :pac:

The RLD is good for the hookers, but that's about it. Also, many people who go don't seem to realize that weed and alcohol don't mix, and then get stupid. I avoided all pubs bar the Irish one under the White Tulip hostel I was staying in, to get some food. Most of the places that sold decent weed were on the outskirts of the RLD, or outside it completely.

Watching the barges turn and go by was very relaxing, and I can rarely relax doing nothing.
    Congrats! TBH, when in the Dam, I never went to any of the clubs; just got high, and chilled.

I'd recommend Nantes, in France (went there after Hellfest metal festival); lots of history (the castle is awesome), and lots of quaint little pubs scattered around the place. Enjoyed it more than the Dam (also, nicer history). If you get any agro from the locals in Nantes (or can't get a room at a hotel), ask if they speak Irelande, and you'll get a huge attitude change!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

yeah great city, been 3 times. hard to get anything done when ya baked though
    wouldnt advise going in winter - freezing and dark early
    alot better durring the warmer brifghter months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Brilliant city in Summer. Very easy to get lost but that's half the fun. Shed loads of 'stuff' going on. About 9 million different districts, all with their own vibe. Easy to get around. Good value. Tall people, great museums. Weed is ok but BCN has that now, better and cheaper. But still, a wonderful 3 day get away, especially in one of the better hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Would love to go to the Dekmantel Festival that happens over there, always seems to sell out in about 3 minutes though. Will get there one day. Such lineups

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A cautionary tale.

It took a lost weekend in a hotel in amsterdam
    And double pneumonia in a single room
    And the sickest joke was the price of the medicine
    Are you laughing at me now may I please laugh along with you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Happier Amsterdam earworm.

Advertisement