Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is it just me or is there a strange lack of newsagent shops and chemists in this city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The normal type of chemists ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Brilliant city in Summer. Very easy to get lost but that's half the fun. Shed loads of 'stuff' going on. About 9 million different districts, all with their own vibe. Easy to get around. Good value. Tall people, great museums. Weed is ok but BCN has that now, better and cheaper. But still, a wonderful 3 day get away, especially in one of the better hotels.

I agree its fun getting lost there, but I did find myself getting lost so much in amsterdam compared to most other cities Ive visited

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aivilo

We are here at the moment and “love it. But yes no newsagents or chemists and so easy to get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they dont write theme tunes like that any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Does anyone know where you can get decent edibles in Amsterdam? not those space cakes they do be selling they are crap, they do nothing to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

thebull85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get decent edibles in Amsterdam? not those space cakes they do be selling they are crap, they do nothing to ye.

there are smart shops thete - they will sort you out

Mr.S wrote: »
    i thought Dublin had it bad with stag / hen parties, and then I went to Amsterdam :eek:

yeah.. best stick to going midweek you avoid all that nonsense, although you miss out on the club scene which is legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

worked there evrry 2nd week, main city is nice, outskirts are a bit mdh. Dutch are ok/sound. Used to enjoy having a beer on a summers eve in the district looking at the stupid tourists. About 200 metres to the left of central has another square with more locals there, good spot. enjoy

there are smart shops thete - they will sort you out

been in one or two of them over there but going back a couple of years, they seemed only have those rotten party pills, salvia and the like.

Im looking for edibles like sweets, gummy bears ala Joey Diaz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Is Amsterdam as expensive as people make out, or are there plenty of reasonable places if you look properly? Suppose we don’t wanna be having fancy dinners out every night, and would rather keep some money for extra things to do, or nights out :p

What else do they sell in the coffee shops other than weed? I suppose myself and partner aren’t that interested in going smoking, I’m sick of weed, obviously will go once or twice to the shops just for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

thebull85 wrote: »
    yeah.. best stick to going midweek you avoid all that nonsense, although you miss out on the club scene which is legendary.

Or just stay a little bit out of the centre. The transport is great there. You can be 10 minutes away by tram and be in a completely different environment.

I don't remember it being any more or less expensive than any other touristy city in the EU. They're all just reasonably expensive, similar to Dublin, maybe a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just remember to look to the RIGHT before crossing the street, bikes don't make noises like cars.

Is Amsterdam as expensive as people make out, or are there plenty of reasonable places if you look properly? Suppose we don’t wanna be having fancy dinners out every night, and would rather keep some money for extra things to do, or nights out :p

What else do they sell in the coffee shops other than weed?

What else do they sell in the coffee shops other than weed? I suppose myself and partner aren’t that interested in going smoking, I’m sick of weed, obviously will go once or twice to the shops just for the experience.

I found food etc to be pretty well priced. Accommodation in the centre is very expensive though. Last time I went I stayed outside Amsterdam in Haarlem. It's something like 10 minutes from there to the central station. Accommodation was a lot cheaper and the town is lovely. Loads of restaurants etc and apparently it has the best shopping in the Netherlands

Haven't been in a coffee shop in years. I think most will sell cookies/brownies. just be careful when eating them, if it's a higher dose you won't know for 30-60 minutes when it starts kicking in.

Booked a hotel about ten mins away from City Centre. Kings court?
    I suppose I’m terrified of it being as expensive as Copenhagen. But I doubt that!

Suppose we will be more interested in eating food, drinking cocktails and seeing cool stuff while we’re there rather than getting stoned, but one or two evenings we might.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Booked a hotel about ten mins away from City Centre. Kings court?
    I suppose I’m terrified of it being as expensive as Copenhagen. But I doubt that!

Suppose we will be more interested in eating food, drinking cocktails and seeing cool stuff while we’re there rather than getting stoned, but one or two evenings we might.
    Its not as expensive as Copenhagen, i found it fairly similar to Dublin prices.
    Heading next week myself staying at the fashion hotel its a bit out but near Vondelpark and handy on tram and has a pool.

For cocktails tales and spirits is terrific

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Was over there in June of this year, I like the place, kind of like a better dublin, it's the one city where I almost feel like I haven't left dublin. You gotta have your witts about you at night around the rld though and in the day time with bikes. My friend and I play a game over there that every time you accidentally walk out on front of a bike without looking, you have to buy the other person a drink :D

I used to smoke it up over there when I was younger and always had a great laugh, I don't smoke anymore so I was kind of disappointed with how little I could tolerate the last time over there but it was still fun anyway. It definitely isn't for everyone but I like it, it's easy enough to just ignore the lady's in the windows if you want so I don't really see people's problem with them and anyways what do you expect if you're in the redlight.

Thats funny because amsterdam also really reminded me of Dublin, don't know what it is about it

Dublin and all irish cities used to look exactly like dutch cities in the 1700s too before they were all demolished for georgian architecture

Street in Limerick
    Dutch-Billies-Nicholas-Street-Limerick-c.-1845.jpg
    Waterford
    gOWAjf3.jpg

• Advertisement

It was a popular destination for me for years because of the coffeeshop element. I'd go to gigs in the city and just get flummoxed for a few days. That was in the 00s. In the 2010s, since I started going over with my current OH, I've a whole new love for the place which doesn't revolve around weed.

It's a fantastic city that you can walk around quite easily, never mind the good public transport on offer. Sure, the RLDistrict area is tacky, but every capital city has its tacky areas. The parks, the museums, the old architecture, the restaurants, the street-food, the markets, the friendly locals you meet at bars outside the busy city centre, there's just so much to do if you're into the city vibe.

Walking out of central train station and seeing the city before my eyes after traveling in from Schiphol airport, suitcase in tow, that's one of my happy places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm going over for IBC in a couple of weeks with my boss. Will have to put the hookers on the company card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Jaysis I'm here now and for all the chat the red light district is very tame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If all a city can offer is 'weed' and silly men staring at sex workers im glad ive never gone there.
    Give me paris any day. Classy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What else do they sell in the coffee shops other than weed?

Amsterdam is nowhere near as expensive as Copenhagen. Accommodation in the Centre is pricey and taxis are very expensive but when over I always stay with my sister at her house 20 Km north of the city in a small town. You can eat out for pretty cheap, especially if you stay off the main tourist drag of Damrak/red light district. There are some great cafes and restaurants around the Leidesplein - this is where the Dutch go for eating out.

I’m off there on Tuesday!:D

Amsterdam has a LOT more to offer the tourist than coffee shops and hookers. There are great museums and antique shops. Do a canal boat tour. See the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank house. Going to Amsterdam and staying in the red light district is like going to Dublin and staying in Temple Bar all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If all a city can offer is 'weed' and silly men staring at sex workers im glad ive never gone there.

It's hardly all it can offer...
    you can completely ignore the 'trashy' side of it and it's still one of the best cities in the world

Anyone who thinks thats all it has to offer has never seen amsterdam properly
    Probably the same people who think all dublin has to offer is temple bar

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Amsterdam has a LOT more to offer the tourist than coffee shops and hookers. There are great museums and antique shops. Do a canal boat tour. See the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank house. Going to Amsterdam and staying in the red light district is like going to Dublin and staying in Temple Bar all the time.

I've been to the Van Gogh museum/gallery 3 times so far. Could easily go back a 4th.

Lying in the square right now outside grand hotel krasnapolsky in the sun with a joint...... I love Amsterdam

• Advertisement

Paris is an absolute shi*ehole.

Advertisement