Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

You will find the cold tough as you’re so skinny! Should make for an interesting day. I was going to try the first sea “swim” tonight but I’ll wait until after limerick. Water temps are only 8/9degrees at the moment!

Tue 30 mins easy fastlane; 1:20 turbo; 5k easy run

Turbo main:
    3*(15min build 200-260W, 5min easy)
    I had good control on these builds, effort was steadily increasing and it felt like a good session.

Rounded out the day with an easy 5k around Courtown forest and environs, running down by a choppy sea for a section to contemplate what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Good luck this evening and tomorrow Kurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

joey100 wrote: »
    Good luck this evening and tomorrow Kurt!

+1

Enjoy. Swim well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good luck with tonight if I don't see you there (still unsure if I'll travel).

Wed Easy 30mins Fastlane

Thurs 4k easy run; 40min Fastlane
    The run was more for the mind than the body, in the forest at jogging pace.
    Fastlane:
    10min easy
    20*(40s@1:20pace, 10s rest)
    10min easy

Fri 10min Fastlane
    Just an easy stretch before travelling.

Thanks for the good wishes lads. I woke up very nervous this morning- something I will get under control on the journey down. Nerves have no part to play- 95% of the 1,500 race has been pre-determined in training already, its mine to mess up by going out too fast. Control the stroke and control the pace will be the aim.

Griff- I hope to see you down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Nerves are a natural part of it, I wouldn't be worrying about them, if you hadn't done the work you wouldn't be nervous because there would be no expectations, it's about using the nerves in the right way. Every race I do I'm nervous before. Best of luck.

Fri/Sat National LC Masters Champs

What a weekend, absolutely buzzing from all the highs and lows. Brilliantly organised gala by Limerick Masters, and a really good attendance. I'll run through each of my events:

After the long drive down I settled in the hotel, did some yoga, then went out for a 15min run . The last 5mins were to be fast... they were, but in the opposite direction to where I though the hotel was. Oh dear, another couple of km added on, but no hassle. I got to the pool in good time and well prepared, and watched a couple of the other heats with some clubmates swimming. Had a chat with Griffin (glad you made the trip!). I had determined not to go out too fast, control the pace and keep a good stroke. Looking at the heat sheets, there were 2 other M45's beside me, and likely at least a couple of medals coming from our heat. On the blocks, go. I felt good, in control, breathing well. I'd made a decision not to tumble turn, in order to keep breathing manageable- this is something I now regret. Going well to 500m, one lad has built a 10m lead, another guy 2m behind me. I put in distance each length, but he makes it back at each turn (he tumbles). But I'm still swimming well. At 800m a muscle in my back twangs... never had this happen before. Breathing on the other side seems to help for a bit, and in the end I just ignore it. Into the last 400m, I'm still holding 2m on the guy behind (so 2nd place in our M45 trio). Anything I make on the distance, he makes back on the turn. We're down to 200, 150, 100, and its obvious its going to come down to the wire. I deliberate if I should tumble the last turn, wait too long, don't do so and turn like a tanker. The other lad steals a couple of meters here, now I'm chasing him for the final 50, and sure enough he pips me into 3rd. I look up to see the time, 24:40 and I'm disgusted. Goal was sub 24, not only did I not get that but I lost a place over bad turns.
    I check the results before going back to the hotel and I got 3rd place in AG. A medal is nice, but it should have been silver (in fact I should have went out harder and gone for gold). That night I woke up at 4am-
    "where am I?"
    "oh yeah, hotel in Limerick"
    "what happened today?"
    "you drove down for the 1500 and awwww fuuuuuccccchhhhh....."
    Until the day we can wipe memories, we can just use them to learn from. Roll on Day 2.

Woke, showered, yoga, 15min run with better direction. Drove to the UL pool which was hopping.

50 back
    I'd never raced this before (rarely swim back), and a recent TT had me at 48sec. Good start, up for air, start throwing the arms (and throwing water underwater), and keep going through pain waiting for the flags... and waiting... until finally they appear and there are only 1,2,3,4,5 strokes before the salvation of the wall. I had no expectations going into this event, but am happy with a 45sec time. 4th in my AG and another second would have bought a medal. Next year.

400 Medley relay
    Straight away I had to get back in the water, swimming first leg (100m backstroke) for our Asgard Masters relay team. The other lads on the team are actual swimmers (and bloody fast!), so there's an expectation you have to live up to. I swim this at slightly less intensity than the 50m, and just about manage to hit the turn ready for more. I had a decent enough stroke throughout and managed to hit the wall without completely disgracing myself, yielding only enough distance so the other lads could claw back, and in the end we won the overall relay by some distance. Shiny gold medals all round! :D

800 DNS
    I was due to do the 800 straight after this relay, but a quick text to the coach convinced me to ditch it (I had entered too many events and always knew some would be scrapped). Looking at the results after I would have been fighting for 4th place at best, so right call.

200 back
    A bit of a hiatus before this event, I went for a brief walk outside and chilled before heading back inside. Into the water, good start, and grinding away. I expected to drop places but was in fact holding my own alongside each lane I could see. Decent turns, coming to 150, and still level with the field, I massively overcomplicated my last turn and in a huge effort to remain on my back I NEVER KICKED THE F*^*ING WALL, cue a mild panic as I swam back to the wall and retouched it, before going on to the final 50. I had stupidly lost distance to the field, but I was still good enough for 3rd AG (4mins I think).

50 free
    Last event proper, good dive, decent stroke, I gave it what I had but didn't have that extra electricity... 33.8, happy enough with that all things considered.

400m free Relay
    Straight away we had to drag ourselves to the start of the last event. 4*100m relay. Everyone was working on very tired arms, same all round. Our team was loaded the first 3 legs, with me doing the final "don't f*&^ it up" leg. I was tagged in the lead, swam hard but controlled for the first 50m, decent turn and give whats left to the finish. We ended up in third (but won our AG), I swam 1:16 for the final leg but that was everything I had.

Overall a pretty happy experience, our fledgling club has gone from strength to strength, and it was great to be part of a group and of relays in particular. Lovely bunch of people down there, big smiley face driving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

I thought you'd be disappointed by the few seconds to 2nd in the 1,500m. I held on to watch your race and if it's any consolation your stroke looked good right until the end. Your turns did cost you as they did slow towards the end but you've come a long way. The last time I seen you swimming properly was probably 5 years ago in Wicklow Harbour when you looked like a man wrestling a bullock - you're a hell of a lot smoother now.

I had a so so race. Did a hard session on Thursday in anticipation of not racing so was feeling that. Struggled towards the end and despite knowing I needed to slow and concentrate on my stroke I still did an impression of a drowning man for the second half of the race - 30 secs slower over the second 750m tells its own storey, as does the final time which was 30 secs over my 1,500m TT PB. Glad I went though.

I'm sure we'll catch up again over the summer OW season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

griffin100 wrote: »
    The last time I seen you swimming properly was probably 5 years ago in Wicklow Harbour when you looked like a man wrestling a bullock - you're a hell of a lot smoother now.

I think this is the most eloquent way of paying someone a compliment that I've ever heard :D:D

Well done Kurt, great prep and racing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Your mug popped up on my facebook feed so I figured I'd better come here to check out what you've been up to. Nice swimming!

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    I think this is the most eloquent way of paying someone a compliment that I've ever heard :D:D

Eloquent and pinprick accurate! I used to fight the water, getting better at working with it these days. Swimming is a balance between power and calm.

Thought you were going well for the first half alright Griffin, looked like a bit more splashing later in your race. Still, 26mins is a decent time and a race is the best place to learn lessons. Yes I hope hope to do some OW swims over the summer, see you then.

Sun 1:40 turbo
    10min EZ
    4*(10s MAX, 2:20 EZ)
    4*(15mins build 200-260W, 5min EZ)

I had a lot of family commitments after being away a couple of days, so only managed a turbo instead of the planned long spin. Arms a little stiff and that back muscle still a bit tender, but otherwise all good.

Your mug popped up on my facebook feed so I figured I'd better come here to check out what you've been up to. Nice swimming!

Gorgeous, ain't I?. Would you ever post on FB, correct them it was 2 gold and 2 bronze? ;)

Get thee to a Masters club and target next year M, great fun and I'd think you'd be good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Gorgeous, ain't I?. Would you ever post on FB, correct them it was 2 gold and 2 bronze? ;)

Get thee to a Masters club and target next year M, great fun and I'd think you'd be good at it.

Where is HoochieDD swooning all over this log and that last swim update?!

Loved that swim report Kurt and well done. Its inspiring to read as an adult learner. A swim gala is one of my bucket list things so next year may be it if I can get fit enough. Limerick Masters seem like a good bunch. If/when I'm fit and brave enough I might knock on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going Kurt.

I saw that Brian Harris had a great day.

Loved that swim report Kurt and well done. Its inspiring to read as an adult learner. A swim gala is one of my bucket list things so next year may be it if I can get fit enough. Limerick Masters seem like a good bunch. If/when I'm fit and brave enough I might knock on the door.

Cheers Mike, they have a great set-up down there. You're fit enough already- what are you waiting for?! No better way to get fit for Masters by joining the Masters! You'd love it, and I hope to see you there next year.
    pgibbo wrote: »

I saw that Brian Harris had a great day.

He's an absolute machine, totally at home in the water and a great racer. He won "best swimmer" for the gala, broke an Irish AG record, several golds... and just infectious with good fun and camaraderie. So much to learn from him in terms of pool racing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

what are the take aways for training ?

peter kern wrote: »
    what are the take aways for training ?

lol, straight to business, eh Peter? ;)

1. Enjoy the moment. Winning medals happens to me rarely enough that I need to appreciate being successful.

2. Stop thinking I don't deserve to stand on blocks besides "proper" swimmers.

3. A race isn't just you against the black line. I've an appreciation of tactics now.

4. My stroke and position are good, and I've got breathing under control after 5 years of swimming. Time to work on underwater arm power and get more out my stroke.

5. Keep doing what I'm doing because I'm with a very good Masters team, have some very good people giving good advice, and I'm lucky to have the Fastlane facility. Keep enjoying the training and racing, and know I'll do better in OW swimming.

6. Buy more Brasso ;)

Mon 45min run; 45min S&C; 60min Masters

Run: 30mins easy, 15min steady to strong
    Nice run in the forest. Legs felt good but body a little beat, the effort felt a bit hard for the pace towards the end. To be expected after the weekend, no worries.

Masters:
    800m easy to steady
    3*(100sw, 100pb, 100drill, 100sw, 30s)
    6*(50k, 50paddle)
    200 swim down
    There wasn't much intensity tonight which suited everyone, arms were tired. The air quality was dire and you could taste the chlorine. Very glad I limit my time in that pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

The air quality was dire and you could taste the chlorine. Very glad I limit my time in that pool.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I was there yesterday morning and thought it was unusually cloudy. Headache for the rest of the day

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I was there yesterday morning and thought it was unusually cloudy. Headache for the rest of the day

Couldn't see the wall to tumble last night, it was that cloudy. I can still taste the water in my mouth now. An awful pity but this has been going on for a few years now.

My kids moved to Courtown swim club last year because of ongoing asthma, headaches, sickness; all have disappeared since the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

nice
    not the answers i was expecting but point 3 is a great one.
    lol, straight to business, eh Peter? ;)

1. Enjoy the moment. Winning medals happens to me rarely enough that I need to appreciate being successful.

2. Stop thinking I don't deserve to stand on blocks besides "proper" swimmers.

3. A race isn't just you against the black line. I've an appreciation of tactics now.

4. My stroke and position are good, and I've got breathing under control after 5 years of swimming. Time to work on underwater arm power and get more out my stroke.

5. Keep doing what I'm doing because I'm with a very good Masters team, have some very good people giving good advice, and I'm lucky to have the Fastlane facility. Keep enjoying the training and racing, and know I'll do better in OW swimming.

6. Buy more Brasso ;)

Tue 30min Fastlane; 1:20 turbo; 40min easy run

Fastlane:
    10min free steady
    10min alternate back/breast steady
    10min free steady

Turbo:
    10min build to steady
    3*(15min build 200-260W, 5min Easy)

Run:
    An easy 40mins along the shore in Courtown, with crashing waves for company. I ditched the shoes for half of it and ran along the sand, getting the feet wet for the first time this year. The water is still pretty cold, but of all the places on the planet to be, this was a good choice.

Wed 45min run intervals

10min easy jog
    3*(90s PE7-9, 60s jog in between, 3min jog between each set)

Ok these were tough. Done on a slight hill in the forest, sometimes up, sometimes down. The intensity was there for the first 10.5 of them. I started seizing during the 11th and dialled back the effort a tad on the 12th. Its been a while since I ran intervals and I forgot just how electric they can be. Very hard, but great benefit mentally and physically.

Thurs 70min turbo; 5min OW dip, 3.7k run

Turbo:
    10 min Ez
    4*(12min 220-240W, 5min Ez)

The effort was dialed back for this one, yesterday’s intensity still in the legs so I didn’t want to push too hard.

Swim:
    Wetsuit on and into the sea at courtown, for the first dip of 2018. To be honest it was less cold than I expected, although having said that my hands were sore from the cold and ice cream headache was pretty intense. Still, the next dip will feel easier, good to get going and to taste the brine.

Run:
    Straight after I warmed up with a few km around courtown forest, just what the doctor ordered. I was wearing a new tri suit I wanted to test and it passed with flying colors, very nice to run in.

Fri 40min S&C; 45min run

30min easy, 15min steady-strong
    I don't know if this was because of the heat, but I found this tough even starting off, not a lot of energy even at easy pace. I managed to pick it up ok, and the pace was sprightly towards the end but it all seemed harder than pace would predict. Must be the heat.

Sat 55min run

An early start on a beautiful sunny morning, the mild fog lifting as it surrendered to the sunbeams. I had a very tight window in which to enjoy these moments, a strict 55mins between dropping the kids at swimming, and (now) watching them on bank duty. An easy few km for the first 25 mins- it certainly felt a lot easier than yesterday’s run, and the air was cool and refreshed with each breath. The next 20mins had a bit more urgency about them, but still at a comfortable enough steady pace. Coming around to finish my loop I knew the foot would have to turnover faster in order to make my deadline- in truth judged perfectly and the last 10 mins were at a decent clip back to the pool.

Sun 60min Fastlane; 1:25 turbo

The planned 3hour early bike was scuppered by a kids gala in New Ross, so an early start and I was wrecked by the time we got back, didn't fancy wobbling around the roads, so opted for my shed instead.

Swim:
    10min 1:37pace
    10*(1:28@1:28pace, 2s)
    2*(4min 1:37pace, 30s)
    10*(1:20@1:20pace, 10s)
    2*(4min 1:37pace, 30s)
    I was grabbing a good catch for these, and concentrating on a strong pull and follow through.

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(10s MAX 2:20 EZ)
    3*(15min build 200-260W, 5min EZ)
    5min cool down

Mon 1:30 turbo; 5k easy run; 2,800m Masters

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2min EZ 30s MAX)
    60s EZ
    3*(12min 245-260W, 5min EZ)
    20*(20s 110+RPM, 20s EZ)
    Balance cooldown

I felt good for this session.

Run:
    Very easy trot before swimming, just to break in the new runners.

Masters:
    200m warmup
    5*50 in 45 10s
    5*50 in 40 10s
    4*50 in 45 10s
    4*50 in 40 10s
    10*(25fist, 25drill, 10s)
    10*(25k MAX, 50 swim pace, 10s)
    10*25 hypoxic 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3
    200 swim down

I was in the speedsters lane tonight so paces got a little messed up. The 50's were all in faster than prescribed, I was swimming them well and a good controlled stroke. Fist was also good, getting a nice drive and catch. My calfs and feet cramped during the MAX kicks, to be expected perhaps straight after running in new shoes. I couldn't hit the 0's hypoxic tonight (only got 1), don't know why- if I had to take a guess its that I'm now exhaling when swimming and the 0's required holding the breath... overanalysis.

Tue 45min run intervals

10min easy
    3*(4*400 PE 7-9, 60s jog) extra 2 mins jog between sets
    Balance jog cool down

Sweet Jesus these were tough! I drove to the cinder track in Arklow, figure it’s best to keep track of these over the next while, and the circuits will maintain accuracy. This was the toughest run session I’ve done in a while, all in 1:27-1:31. Right now that’s where I’m at, it boggles the mind to think several people here think nothing of maintaining that pace for 25 laps in succession, or even 105.5 laps in succession. Still, progress is measured against your individual self foremost, and to that end I’m happy these were as intense as I could make them tonight.

• Advertisement

Wed 40min turbo

10min EZ
    5*(1min build to 9-10PE, 2min EZ)
    5min EZ

Another snappy intense session, I was holding around 390-400W for these and experiencing white hot electrifying time-stand-still pain for them. I missed a calling, would have made a good masochist in another life.

Advertisement