Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Interesting indeed! How do you feel the fast lane translates to the pool in general?

Having used it for over 6 months now you'd imagine I'd have a better idea of calibration, and yet... There are times when I'm cruising 1:40 pace in the Fastlane that the effort seems correct, and I'd almost say it feels correct swimming steady up to 1:30- after that its harder to quantify. The water "returns" to the Fastlane at the side of the pool, so if you get thrown out of the stream you get a free ride back. My pool is narrow enough so that if my legs go out of line, they could be gaining from this return flow, and I'd imagine that is whats happening if form goes (especially with pb when its harder to kick into a streamline). Doing faster stuff in shorter sets and "resetting" the streamline seems more honest, although I'd imagine if I lost the pb and kicked more, this would give a more accurate calibration to pool swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Having used it for over 6 months now you'd imagine I'd have a better idea of calibration, and yet... There are times when I'm cruising 1:40 pace in the Fastlane that the effort seems correct, and I'd almost say it feels correct swimming steady up to 1:30- after that its harder to quantify. The water "returns" to the Fastlane at the side of the pool, so if you get thrown out of the stream you get a free ride back. My pool is narrow enough so that if my legs go out of line, they could be gaining from this return flow, and I'd imagine that is whats happening if form goes (especially with pb when its harder to kick into a streamline). Doing faster stuff in shorter sets and "resetting" the streamline seems more honest, although I'd imagine if I lost the pb and kicked more, this would give a more accurate calibration to pool swimming.

Thanks was genuinely curious. I guess the only real way to find out is a max effort 400 in the Fastlane, then one in the pool, then one in LC, then one SC with dive no tumbles, LC with dive and tumbles, SC Dive and tumbles, LC dive no tumbles and finally a Fastlane with dive and no tumbles...:-) Should give a reasonable calibration!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Thanks was genuinely curious. I guess the only real way to find out is a max effort 400 in the Fastlane, then one in the pool, then one in LC, then one SC with dive no tumbles, LC with dive and tumbles, SC Dive and tumbles, LC dive no tumbles and finally a Fastlane with dive and no tumbles...:-) Should give a reasonable calibration!

i think kurts assestment is very good.
    and the faster you go the less you should trust the speed.
    the thing is it dosnt matter at all as he gets enough intenisty in the pool and its endurance he is lacking
    ( when we talk about him being a triathlete)

Mon 45min S&C; 60min Masters swim

500 warmup BE3
    25*100 off 1:40
    200 swim down

I managed most of these in 1:30, drifting a couple of seconds towards the end. Had to skip a couple with back cramp (tight muscles after snow stuff) but otherwise decent enough form.

Tue 30min fastlane; 15min yoga, 40min run

The swim was a pyramid 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 mins at 1:30 pace, it’s noticeable how much better the stroke is after resetting with the few seconds rest between each.

The run was later in the evening (just finished), my calf’s were very stiff all day and I was apprehensive as to how they would feel. Dropped the kids to swimming and drove to Gorey but the sidewalks were full of snow and there was a freezing fog about. I had half a mind to ditch the session but the roads around Courtown were snow free for the most part. 25mins easy pace and the calf’s were cooperating, so I upped the pace for the last 15mins. The sidewalks are undulating and lighting dark in places (which is why I don’t run these streets at night as a rule) but I got back to the car in one piece.

• Advertisement

Wed 10min yoga, 65 min turbo; 1:30 hilly snowy hike

Turbo:
    10 mins easy
    4 * ( 10' hard, 2.20 easy )
    5 * (5 min @ PE 5-6, 3min easy)
    5 mins easy

A little off on the first rep but managed the builds better for the others.

Run:
    This was a recce for the race we are organising at the weekend- unfortunately the course is covered with snow, a battle in the drifts going up, over 2m high along the ridge, and knee deep in any of the lower trails. We took the hard decision to cancel the race. It would have been great fun, but impossible for any injured runners to get assistance in good time. Ah well, another snow memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Run:
    This was a recce for the race we are organising at the weekend- unfortunately the course is covered with snow, a battle in the drifts going up, over 2m high along the ridge, and knee deep in any of the lower trails. We took the hard decision to cancel the race. It would have been great fun, but impossible for any injured runners to get assistance in good time. Ah well, another snow memory.

Really sorry to see the race cancelled when ye have put in so much work. Hopefully ye will get to run it at some point. Say the pics, can't believe there's still snow that deep there, incredible.

Sun 10min yoga, 1:55 turbo

10min EZ
    4*(10sMAX 2:20 EZ)
    6*(8min 260-270W, 7min EZ)
    5 cooldown

No training the last 3 days at all. I felt run-down, little energy- two large projects I had mentally prepared for (Limerick Gala and Annagh Hill race) were both last-minute cancellations and I felt it better to take a step away for a few days rather than just tick-over training. Whether that is the best thing to do or not I don't know, but I felt rejuvenated on this turbo, and looking forward to training again. Mentally and physically I benefitted from the mini break.

Mon 45min S&C, 5k easy run; 60min Masters

Run was straight after the S&C, a nice 5k in the forest. Legs and body felt great, lungs a little tight which would tally with how I felt over the past few days. No big deal though.

Masters:
    Warm-up:
    2*200 (BE3,5 each length)
    2*100 (BE5,7)
    2*200 (BE3,5)
    2*100 (BE5,7)

400TT 5:58 (no splits)
    Balance of hour drills

I felt in control, it felt like a well-balanced effort (ie not dying after 100m), but the spark wasn't there tonight and its a disappointing time.

Hmm. I had written both those comments in my Training Peaks diary at different times in the day. Interesting how I don't mind underperforming in a run due to not feeling 100%, but am disappointed when I underperform in a swim TT. That doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

If it's any consolation my chest and lungs are feeling the same. I'm putting it down to some dampness back in the air, during the snow there I was grand, nice dry cold air was no problem. Frost and dampness comes back and my chest starts to feel tight again.

Edited to ask what's your 400m PB??

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »

Edited to ask what's your 400m PB??

I think it’s 5:41, from last year. This year I’ve done TT’s in Nov, Jan, and March (5:48, 5:50, 5:58). Not a great return but I do feel I’m swimming much more economically now. Breathing, position, kick, pull; are better than ever so it’s s matter of bringing everything together and getting the 5:30 I should be capable of.

Tue 60min fastlane; 15min yoga, 36min run

Fastlane:
    10min 1:45 pace
    5*(6*1:20 @. 1:20pace, 10s rest) 2mins 1:45 pace between each set
    5min 1:45 pace

This felt good, the turbulence is still an issue but I managed to hold a nice streamline for most of these.

Run:
    Plan was 30mins easy, 15minbuild to hard. I was laboring from the start, and had nothing in the tank when I started to build, so quit the session. My nose is runny, throat is sore, obviously I have some bug.

Wed 10min yoga, 1:20 turbo

20min steady to build
    3*(15min 160-200W, 5min EZ)

A harder turbo had been planned but what with feeling under the weather this was curtailed to lower power zones. Although I had no issues with energy levels, sweating at 200W was the right thing to do today.

Thurs 15min yoga, aborted 45min run; 60min Masters

Run: plan was 30min easy, 15min steady, to test how the system was. Breathing wasn't too bad (a little tight), but soon after I upped the pace I had stomach problems... so cut it short and dashed for the jacks. Sweating in bed last night too, so I've got something in the system.

Masters:
    400m WU
    8*(25k IMO, 25 swim long stroke, 10s)
    Main: 10 sets of
    (25 fly max, 25 easy swim) on 1:10
    (25 back max, 25 easy swim) on 1:00
    (25 breast max, 25 easy swim) on 1:10
    (25 free max, 25 easy swim) on 1:00

200m swimdown

These were tough. The air wasn't great in the pool tonight so I was tight of breath at first. I tried to relax, have a constant exhale (make motorbike sound) and this seemed to help a lot. Cramped during the final 2 back reps, but otherwise a good hard session.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Main: 10 sets of
    (25 fly max, 25 easy swim) on 1:10
    (25 back max, 25 easy swim) on 1:00
    (25 breast max, 25 easy swim) on 1:10
    (25 free max, 25 easy swim) on 1:00

These were tough.....

Looks so innocent in words but I'd say that was tough alright. Just breathing though it!

Fri 45min weights; 30min easy hill run

Up around Annagh for a scout of the race which has been rescheduled. There's a lot of branches down due to recent snow, and the course has streams everywhere. The pace was easy enough but a good reminder of the fun hill-running is.
    Looks so innocent in words but I'd say that was tough alright. Just breathing though it!

I slept well last night! My back muscles are in bits today because of all the fly, its a tough stroke when you're bluffing your way through it. Nothing better to watch though when its done right.

Sat 7k hill run

On a wintery morning, I headed up Annagh hill to recce the short course for the race in two weeks. The initial climb was pretty cold, sleet attacking horizontally, but at least it was easier to climb than the last time I was here. Good running along the top, although there are still large banks of snow that remain. Nothing that can't be ran through though. Lots of puddles and lots of streams on the trails.

Sun 2 hour turbo

Yesterday afternoon was spent on the couch, fuelled by Guinness and rugby. This morning was spent on the turbo trying to undo all that damage. Main section was 6*(10min build 200-240W; 5min EZ), and I managed to get through it for my sins

Mon 30min Fastlane

Kept it easy 1:36 pace with pb.

I had a run scheduled but my lower back was very sore so I bailed on it. Can possibly be traced back to Thurs fly, or more probably Sat couch.

Tue 30min Fastlane; 10min yoga, 1:20 turbo

Fastlane:
    5min easy
    15*(1:25 @ 1:25pace, 5s rest)
    This seemed to help the back.

Turbo:
    10 mins steady to build
    4 * ( 10' all out 2.20 easy)
    3 * (15 mins building from 230-260, 5 mins easy)
    easy 5 cool down
    Felt good for this and managed the power comfortably enough.

Wed 30min Fastlane; 10min yoga, 1:30 turbo

Fastlane:
    Just easy pace to help the back (felt better after)

Turbo:
    10 mins warmup
    4 *(2 mins easy, 30 secs all out)
    Easy 60'
    3 *(12 min at 240-260, 5 min easy)
    20 *(20' at 110 RPM +, 20' easy)
    rest of 90 min easy cool down
    This was pretty tough to hold 240+ (but tough in the right way), and the 110RPM were hard too. Back felt ok during it.

Thurs 15min yoga, 4k run; 60min Masters

Run:
    I was really pushed for time, did this just before swimming on a very cold wet and windy track. Kept the pace easy, the back felt much better and there were no issues except tight glutes.

Masters:
    400wu
    9*(25swim build 1,2,3; 25easy, 10s)
    Main:
    take your 50m time from 200PB as base (so my base was 40s)
    4*50 off 1:30 (in base +2s)
    1:30 rest
    4*50 off 1:30 (in base +1s)
    4*50 off 1:30 (in base)
    4*50 off 1:30 (in base -1s)
    6*100 as (25BE3, 25BE5, 25BE7, rest 30s, 25MAX)
    I swam well, the first set too fast (in 38), the second set in 40, 3rd in 37/38, last in 36/38. Good form, good breathing, good exit and recovery.

Fri 30min Fastlane; 45min weights; 30min Fastlane

30mins 1:34 pace in the morning
    30mins 1:24 pace 100's/200's in the evening
    Felt good in the evening, a better rhythm throughout the arm turnover cycle.

Sat 14k moderate run; 35min Fastlane

A fresh early start, first run with company in a while. We are both nursing back niggles so kept the pace down in favor of chatting and just enjoying being out in the start of spring. No issues with the back (it’s still a little tight) but I’m glad we didn’t push any harder.

Sun 10min yoga, 2 hour turbo

10 mins steady to build
    4 * ( 10' all out 2.20 easy)
    4 * (10 mins building from 200-240, 10 mins 260-280, 5 mins easy)

I found this tough. Early start and 6 hours at a swim gala before didn't help, but I was determined to get it done and grabbed a couple of hours as soon as we were home. The last threshold 10mins was hardest, my ass was hurting and I had to stop momentarily a couple of times to quickly stretch the leg... but got it finished out.

Mon 60min Masters

I had a 70min run scheduled but was in Dublin most of the day (clients) and could only have done this right before swimming- decided to ditch it in favour of a good pool session.

400m wu
    6*(25k choice, 25 swim, 10s)
    10*200@80% (PB+25s), 30s rest
    6*(25 BE7, 25 drill, 10s)
    My 200PB is 2:40 so I was to bring each of these in 3:05. The pace was manageable, I tried a few things to see what happened (tumbles/touch, length/turnover, rotation/kick etc) and concluded a long comfortable stroke with controlled breathing and touch turns works best. All in 3:03-3:05, working but comfortable.

Tue 30min Fastlane; 10min yoga, 90min turbo; 15min yoga, 45min run

Turbo:
    10 mins warmup
    4 *(2 mins easy, 30 secs all out)
    Easy 60'
    3 *(12 min at 240-260, 5 min easy)
    20 *(20' at 110 RPM +, 20' easy)
    rest of 90 min easy cool down
    The session felt a lot more manageable than its equivalent last week. Holding 240-260 with relative comfort today.

Run: 30min easy, 15min steady
    After missing yesterdays run I tried to squeeze it in today. The legs were a bit tired after todays turbo and I was labouring up any hills. I'm aware there's little point in making up for skipped sessions but wanted to get some running done and this 45min run around Courtown forest was a decent compromise.

• Advertisement

Wed 40min S&C; 5km hill hike; 45min Fastlane

Quite possibly the slowest- and most enjoyable- 5k I've even done, 2hrs 20mins marking part of our Annagh Hill race for this coming Saturday. It was a magical afternoon up there, sun was beating down and the start of Spring evident. Clear views in all directions. Its a really good course, its dried a lot quicker than I'd have imagined, and everything in place for a great race.

Fastlane:
    10 min build easy-steady
    20*(1:20@1:18pace, 10s rest)
    5min easy

I shortened this as I was out on the hills for a couple of hours just before, but the intensity was there and more work than an hours easy swim. 1:18 pace means a fair amount of turbulence but I'm convinced learning to fight through this ("swim smooth") is paying dividends.

Quite possibly the slowest- and most enjoyable- 5k I've even done, 2hrs 20mins marking part of our Annagh Hill race for this coming Saturday. It was a magical afternoon up there, sun was beating down and the start of Spring evident. Clear views in all directions. Its a really good course, its dried a lot quicker than I'd have imagined, and everything in place for a great race.

I hope it goes really well for ye, you and the committee have put so much work into it and it sounds like a cracking route, ye deserve to have a fun day. I really wish I didn't live so far West.

It's a magical feeling being out on these crisp days when the sun is just warming up.

Neady83 wrote: »
    I hope it goes really well for ye, you and the committee have put so much work into it and it sounds like a cracking route, ye deserve to have a fun day. I really wish I didn't live so far West.

It's a magical feeling being out on these crisp days when the sun is just warming up.

Should be good fun, and yes its magical being out around now!

If its any consolation I envy you washed by the Atlantic- the grass is always greener on the other side Neady! :D

I've been highly entertained by the videos and pictures from Annagh Hill today :D

Neady83 wrote: »
    I've been highly entertained by the videos and pictures from Annagh Hill today :D

They are great, aren't they! Andy (photographer) chose that spot himself, he knew the rewards to be had! That particular downhill is very steep- you start to run down in a controlled slide, think you've got the hang of it, and then come to a cliff... arms grabbing tree branches, survival instinct takes over, before succumbing to the inevitable. Thankfully years of matted beech leaves make for a cushioned fall, but how perfect is it to have a camera ready to capture your lack of dignity?:D

Great fun, great race, great place. A lot of work to organise but a lot more enjoyment doing so.

Sunday April 1st
    Didn't do any training- woke up feeling dizzy and felt like crap all day. Don't know if it was from standing in the hills all day, or the kids have a cold, or whatever. I'll take tomorrow off too.

Mon and Tue Rest

Wed 90 min turbo
    Main:
    3 sets of (12 min at 250wt, 5 min easy)
    20 * (20' at 110 RPM + 20' easy)

I felt better today, like energy had come back. Its not great missing so many odd days, but on the plus side its only the odd day or two- I've not had a major illness or injury all winter, and I'm happy to hit the start of April with a decent winter behind me.

Thurs 90 min turbo; 60min Masters
    Main:
    3 sets of (10 min at build from 240 to 260wt, 5 min easy)
    20 * (20' at 110 RPM + 20' easy)
    hamstring was very tight waking up but better after this turbo

Masters:
    400m WU
    2 sets of:
    (400m in 6:20, 40s rest
    2*(200m in 3:00, 30s rest)
    4*(100 in 1:28, 20s rest))
    400m swim down
    A relatively easy pace night, although I felt a bit rusty. Foot cramped badly for the last 100's.

Fri Trail 10k run
    30 mins easy, 15 mins steady to strong
    Nice trail run across Annagh flank for the first part. It was the first time to run in a few days- the hams felt much better- so "easy" pace was probably a little faster than prescribed. I picked it up nicely once off the trails, just testing the legs. No problems as the pace increased.

Sat
    Nothing- at IKEA all morning and assembling flatpack all day. I was dressed to head on a run in the evening but my daughter needed help with homework...

Sun21k hilly run
    Very hilly, very mucky, very fun. I did a local Tinahely loop for the first time- blessed with trails round these parts so we are. I underestimated the amount of mud and slop and had a poor choice of footwear, however the pace was easy so no bones broken.

Mon 45mins S&C; 9k run; 60min Masters

Run: 30 mins easy, 15 mins steady to strong
    The legs felt a bit dead today, residue from yesterday's long hill run. I wasn't going full blast towards the end, but was going strong, and this was probably 10s slower km pace than the effort felt.

Masters:
    1,000m steady
    10*(25k, 25fist, 25fast, 10s)
    Dives and turns practice
    300m swim down

I felt good in the water, a nice streamline. Dives are pretty good, I got some good advice on foot position and kick off board which helped. Turns are getting better but they still don't feel natural, I'm loosing breath if I tumble, which doesn't happen with touch turns. I guess the answer is to relax into the tumble but its getting close to D-day and probably too late to perfect.

have they re-scheduled your swim meet Kurt? First race of the tri season in Carlow?

joey100 wrote: »
    have they re-scheduled your swim meet Kurt? First race of the tri season in Carlow?

The 1,500 is rescheduled to this Friday evening, with the main gala on Saturday. We were just talking about it last night, no-one feels 100% targeted, but will do the best on the day. My goal is a good 1,500 (23:xx) and see whatever the next day brings. We have a couple of relay teams so it should be good fun.

After that the (bigger) goal is the Aquathon Nat Champs, which are on very early (May 13th). Carlow is hit and miss the next week, I have Lough Cutra the week after which is a race I like. It's all just around the corner now! How about yourself, what lead-in races before your biggie?

• Advertisement

Not sure yet to be honest, was half thinking the Aquathon Champs cos it's only down the road and maybe Skerries cos it's only down the road too but we will see.

Best of luck with the Gala this weekend! That's a nice time to be going for.

Advertisement