Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Thurs 70 min run

30min easy
    25min steady
    12 min fast

A decent run on what’s becoming my staple Courtown loop. The legs were rather dull starting off, to be expected the day after the day after run intervals. I started to up the pace but there was a noticeable exponential increase in effort- it was harder running at a steady pace than it should. The billion tiny flys courting the air didn’t help either. After a while my stomach cramped, didn’t feel great at all... a quick hop into a field helped matters though, and I felt like a new man starting onto the last faster section. This was a totally different experience, I kept up a good pace with decent form, and managed to surprise myself over the last couple of km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Fields are great aren't they :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Fields are great aren't they :)

:D they are my throne of choice at this stage Neady

Fri 30min Fastlane; 15min yoga, 40min S&C

Fastlane:
    10min pb easy
    10*(1:20@1:20pace, 10s rest)
    5min pb easy

I've another gala this Sunday, Leinster LC Champs in the NAC. Down for 50, 100, & 200back, and the more important 100free. Its not a huge goal besides experience and enjoyment, but handy to have got some race experiences under my belt before the Aquathon Champs which are only a couple of weeks away now.

Sat 16k run, 10min OW swim; 30min Fastlane

Today was a perfect morning for a long slow run, frost on the ground starting off and a bright sun to burn it away. Running by the sea early is the best way to start the day. I kept the pace nice and handy and just enjoyed the route.

Once back at the car, on with the wetsuit and into the sea for 10mins acclimatising. The first few minutes were spent doing granny breaststoke, and it took this time for the pain in my hands to dull. Next, try and put the head under- straight away an ice-cream headache. After a few more minutes I was ready to swim proper, it still hurt but got better as I went on. The body had gotten used to the cold after 10mins but I was ready to get out. The Aquathon Champs in two weeks are going to be fun, I'd say plenty won't be able to handle the cold (assuming TI don't chicken out on the day). Even getting the shoes on will be tricky with numb fingers. All to look forward to.

Fastlane:
    10min pb EZ
    5min back/breast/kick
    10*(40s @ 1:17pace, 5s rest)
    5min swim down easy

• Advertisement

Sun 30min Fastlane

10min pb easy
    10*(1:26@1:26 pace, 4s rest)
    10min easy

Well I had to skip the gala, had a foot injury. Watching tv last night, put my foot up on a stool and it suddenly got very sore, and continued to get worse until every movement was agony. Hopped into bed, RICE and painkillers and after a few hours the pain seemed to dull. It feels much better this morning, just some lingering pain. I reckon a combination of the new shoes, and some backstroke kick "flicks" yesterday, popped a bone out of place somewhere. Thankfully I can walk on it again without issue, so it must have popped back, but I'll take it easy for a few days and see a physio to be sure. Scary really that despite all the training and maintainence, a season might be over before its begun, but fingers crossed I caught this in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Yikes, keep us updated and I hope it's nothing serious. It's too early in the year for bones to be popping out of place. That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Plantar fasciitis??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Your foot injury sounds nearly the same as mine. Mine was outside of my left foot, just by the little bone sticking out. No issues running on it, was only when I stopped. Can half remember going over on it a bit but not sure how long ago that was, anything similar happen on your field visits?

Mine seems to have sorted itself, plenty of rest and Ice. Done a hard turbo on Thurs, sore getting on, perfect when I got off, so from that experience, you need a hard turbo to sort yourself out!

It’s likely a small bone called the talus had popped out, and that’s what caused the pain (apparently common enough when you are flexing for both swimming and running). Thankfully there is no pain at all now, and I can move the foot in all directions. I’ll wait a couple of days before testing any run though. Hard turbo planned for later!

• Advertisement

Mon 10min yoga, 1:30 turbo

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2min EZ 30s MAX)
    60s EZ
    3*(12min 220-240W, 5min EZ)
    20*(20s 110+RPM, 20s EZ)
    Balance cooldown

I wasn't sure what range to keep these in, what with testing the foot, so I decided between 220-240W, but probably could have gone a tad higher. Absolutely no issues from the foot, no pain and no associated niggles or anything.

Tue 40min S&C; 15mins yoga, 7k run

The run was a tester-everything about the foot had felt perfect the past couple of days, no pain and no mobility issues. The plan was to go off easy, but of course I was itching to go off harder for a “proper” test. After an easy first km the pace crept up, no issues or niggles so I just let the pace get progressively faster until I had 6k completed. A little walk and stretch before easy jog back to the car, happy to report an all clear run.

Wed 10min yoga, 1:50 bric

Bric was as follows;
    Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2min EZ 30s MAX)
    60s EZ
    3*(12min 240-250W, 5min EZ)
    20*(20s 110+RPM, 20s EZ)
    Balance cooldown

I felt good on the bike, managed to keep the efforts comfortably within or above the zone.

Quick change into dry clothes, and straight onto the run:
    20mins moving through the gears to finish at 5k pace

A little gingerly at first, but soon got the legs moving and upped the effort on the way back for the last km (5:22, 4:52, 4:09, 3:54). Happy with how it went, no issues with the foot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Wed 10min yoga, 1:50 bric

Bric was as follows;
    Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2min EZ 30s MAX)
    60s EZ
    3*(12min 240-250W, 5min EZ)
    20*(20s 110+RPM, 20s EZ)
    Balance cooldown

I felt good on the bike, managed to keep the efforts comfortably within or above the zone.

Quick change into dry clothes, and straight onto the run:
    20mins moving through the gears to finish at 5k pace

A little gingerly at first, but soon got the legs moving and upped the effort on the way back for the last km (5:22, 4:52, 4:09, 3:54). Happy with how it went, no issues with the foot at all.

Kurt when you state MAX effort for 30 secs what kind of wattage are you talking ? 300+ ? I can manage an all out max effort but only for 5 secs at 500-600 watts

TriFirst wrote: »
    Kurt when you state MAX effort for 30 secs what kind of wattage are you talking ? 300+ ? I can manage an all out max effort but only for 5 secs at 500-600 watts

They are about 370-400W, and it builds rather than an immediate explosion. Its about as hard as I can go for 30s (and still continue with the session).

I wouldn't pay too much attention to others Wattages though, too much variation in brands/individuals/models... I just use my wattage to guage between my own sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

They are about 370-400W, and it builds rather than an immediate explosion. Its about as hard as I can go for 30s (and still continue with the session).

I wouldn't pay too much attention to others Wattages though, too much variation in brands/individuals/models... I just use my wattage to guage between my own sessions.

Excellent, thanks. I dont have a watt meter I just use the watt bike in the gym but it gives me a rough ball park.

Thurs 15min yoga, 13k run; 60min Masters

Run:
    30mins easy
    25mins steady
    8mins fast

This was a loop of Arklow Rock in reverse, first time I've done it this ways and there are fantastic views coming down, that have always been at my back. I felt very light on the feet for this, running form was much better than usual- recent weight loss showing benefits. I ended up back at the track for the last couple of km which again seemed easier than usual.

Swim:
    400 WU
    Main: all to be same pace (I did 1:32/100m with pb)
    400, 40s
    300, 30s
    200, 20s
    100, 10s
    100, 10s
    200, 20s
    300, 30s
    400, 40s (cramped badly and just did a messy 300)
    400 cooldown

Used a pb throughout, the arms felt a bit heavy at first but soon got into it. Form was a bit sloppy but likewise got better as it went on. Bad foot cramps towards the end (I did the run just before this) but nothing lasting.

Fri Nothing

I was very busy all day and had a few beers in the evening. First time in a while, but it made for a crap nights sleep and a woozy head in the morning so training was impacted. I should have more cop on.

Sat 10min Fastlane, 14min run; 2:10 bike spin

My plan was a 3 hour bike, but for some stupid reason I tried to flip sessions and started on tomorrows swim/run brics... got the first rep done but I was pushing too hard for the run, a very hot afternoon and tired from last night- stupid. Ditched the session and just headed out for a hilly bike spin, great day for it though and felt better for having done it.

I need to smarten up when it comes to the Plan. Playing with my self-destruct button a week before a goal race isn't a good idea. Normal service resumes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cut out those beers and get into relay training boss :p

Sun Bric session

15min yoga
    3*(10min Fastlane with wetsuit, build effort

3 Rounds of the following:
    (10 mins Fastlane with wetsuit @70-90% PE
    Transition 15 metres away from FastLane on mat
    Run for 15mins ... building every 5 mins to 5k race pace in 2nd KM and then holding
    10 mins rest)

Perfect day for this session as it was nice and warm. I made a little trans area on a yoga mat, suited up, and into the Fastlane. 5 mins 1:37 pace, then up it to 1:30 for 5 mins, and out of the pool, run to trans, strip off the suit and straight away I have difficulty getting the suit off over the watch. Eventually its done, on with the shoes and off up the road. I build to about the halfway point and try and keep it 5k pace for the return. I'm a little slower than this, can feel yesterdays bike climb in my thighs, but otherwise all is good all the way back to base.
    During the rest I begin to put back on my wetsuit, which splits across the seam of the knee. Feck that; have to put on the back-up suit. It doesn't fit as well, there's no-one around to help me with the awkward zip, so I swim the 10mins with the back open. This would be an issue if I was concerned about speed but for now trans is more important. Strip the suit (watch isn't an issue as I tucked it under the suit sleeve this time, and onto the run. I tried a new pair of shoes, velcro close Nike free from 2 years ago that I cut up to make a bigger opening. They aren't much faster to put on than lock-laces, but in their favour the velcro holds throughout the run. I probably kept this run slower starting off and it wasn't as fast overall as the first.
    For the third set I had someone to zip up my suit, this made for an easier swim alright (but that suit pinches the shoulders, something to be aware of should I require it on the day). A fast strip, watch got stuck again (I purposely didn't cover as much of it to see what the difference was), and onto the last run. This was probably the best of the three and I finished fastest, but I was glad it was done.

Overall a lot of lessons learned and better it happened the wetsuit now rather than next week.

• Advertisement

Mon 1km OW swim; 15min yoga, 20mins easy run

The kids wanted to go to the beach so we packed sambos tea surfboard wetsuits chairs hats etc and hit the strand. A very nice day to be out, I donned the wetsuit and spent 5 mins getting over various aches and pains from the cold water, before doing a magical 20mins fighting the waves and generally enjoying myself. It wasn't to bad once you got going.

Later a very easy 20mins jog in the evening, just to stretch the legs.

I got a good tip regarding wetsuit repair and sewed back up my seam with dental floss, covered it well with blackwitch- we'll see in a few days how well it works.

Tue 15min yoga, 14k progressive run

30 mins easy
    30 mins steady
    10 mins fast

It’s a perfect evening for running here in courtown, I set off just after a big feed of chicken and spuds, not quite sure of what session I should do. That’s not ideal on a couple of counts, but nothing was going to be too intense tonight. An easy jog for the first 30mins ended at poleshone beach, I scouted a route up the cliffs but just dead end trails to be found. Nothing for it but to do the old reliable, so I picked it up for the next 30 mins. This was tougher than it should be, the belly full of grub and starchy spuds made for heavy breathing. Oddly enough I found it easier running at the faster pace for the last 10 mins, concentrated on good form and posture, and this fed into good execution.

Wed 10min yoga, 1:30 turbo

Turbo:
    10min EZ
    4*(2min EZ 30s MAX)
    60s EZ
    3*(12min 220-260W, 5min EZ)
    20*(20s 110+RPM, 20s EZ)
    Balance cooldown

A decent session, effort was where I wanted it to be and always in control of the numbers.

Thurs 25min yoga; 20mins OW swim

A perfect evening in Courtown. 2 mins to get the hands to acclimatise, another 2 to get the head down and ice-cream headache gone. After that it was perfect, cruising up and down in the waves along the shore. You can't beat sea swimming.

I'm looking forward to the Aquathlon at the weekend- water temperature is ideal, its a nice setting, and I'm starting to feel the love for running again. Junior is down for the 15-16 race, half the distance we do (actually I'd love to do a 500m/2.5k aquathlon!). It should be a good race all round.

Aquathon champs or Carlow, which is the main race Kurt?

The Howth aquathons on over the summer offer a 500m swim/ 3.5km run, a long way for you to travel and not sure of the age groupings for under 18's but they are a good no-frills cheap race (think the 3 race series is 30 euro or something). Also have a 1000m swim, 7km run option.

joey100 wrote: »
    Aquathon champs or Carlow, which is the main race Kurt?

The Howth aquathons on over the summer offer a 500m swim/ 3.5km run, a long way for you to travel and not sure of the age groupings for under 18's but they are a good no-frills cheap race (think the 3 race series is 30 euro or something). Also have a 1000m swim, 7km run option.

Cheers joey, I might look into those Howth aquathlons if over that side of the city when they're on.

The bigger goal is the aquathlon champs, I had it targeted as soon as the calendar was announced. A cold sea swim with potential chop, followed by a beach run? Yes please :D

I pulled out of Carlow, not really willing to risk a cancelled/shortened swim. Its a great race otherwise, lovely bike route and nice run course, but they are hampered by water temp/flow variables.

Think they sometimes have some sign in on the night space too, worth keeping an eye out for them.

Wind looks to be low in Dublin over the weekend (from reports I've seen so far) so you might no get the chop but will still be a good swim. Best of luck on Sunday.

Was that an age group 1st today???

joey100 wrote: »
    Was that an age group 1st today???

Lol yeah that was the goal for the past few months for these champs, very happy with the training beforehand and the execution during the race. The training is prescribed by someone who remains invisible but all seeing, and who I am very grateful to have in my corner. ‘Nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lol yeah that was the goal for the past few months for these champs, very happy with the training beforehand and the execution during the race. The training is prescribed by someone who remains invisible but all seeing, and who I am very grateful to have in my corner. ‘Nuff said!

Uhhh you never mentioned that!

Advertisement