Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Earphones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I tried pairing them with my phone and they paired fine. Sound is really good, much bassier than my Soundcore P2s, but a slight bit tinnier on the high frequencies. They're a million times more comfortable in the ear, so much so that I've had them in with nothing playing for 10 minutes and you'd barely notice them. Called my wife too and she said the call quality was perfect.

I just tried to pair with the watch again and they're now working fine. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Will bring them for a jog tomorrow, which is the real reason I want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Will bring them for a jog tomorrow, which is the real reason I want them.

I've had them in several times while running, and haven't been an issue whatsoever. They've stayed in, and were barely noticed. In saying that, I've read some reviews about them popping out when sweaty. I guess that's down to the shape of your inner ear. As I said, this wasn't a problem for me

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

Be aware Lidl brand EarPods SILVERCREST had bleeding led on each ear and it’s flashing every 15 seconds bright white

flanzer wrote: »
    I've had them in several times while running, and haven't been an issue whatsoever. They've stayed in, and were barely noticed. In saying that, I've read some reviews about them popping out when sweaty. I guess that's down to the shape of your inner ear. As I said, this wasn't a problem for me

Yeah I brought them out earlier and they're a joy. No having to adjust them all the time like the P2s, and the sound is absolutely great. I think it was the first time I've ever had to turn down the music while jogging, for being too loud.

I had a pairing issue again today. I ended up re-pairing with phone and playing music for a few seconds, then pairing with my watch again, and it worked. No drop outs while jogging.

I was considering returning them because of the bluetooth issue but if they're working with the phone I'll get use out of them either way. Wonder is it just a dodgy pair I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Quick review on the 3 pairs I've got now since watching this thread. In order of preference:

#1 Soundpeats TrueAir

Fantastic value. Not being in-ears mean they just sit in the ears and don't give that "bunged" feeling which I hate. Sound is excellent. Call quality is very good. And my favourite feature, the touch controls are just right. Not too sensitive and crucially a single touch doesn’t pause or skip it changes the volume so in the rare situation of in an inadvertent tap it's just volume. Also, case is so light and small.

#2 Vankyo X400

Almost as good as the Soundpeats but I prefer the fit of the soundpeats. Also the case is just that but too big. Call quality excellent, slightly better than the soundpeats.

#3 mpow m30

Great sound and very comfortable. However, call quality is poor and FAR too sensitive to touches.

I actually have Airpod Pros but kinda got bored of them. Never thought the sub €40 market offered such good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

quarryman wrote: »
    Quick review on the 3 pairs I've got now since watching this thread. In order of preference:

#1 Soundpeats TrueAir

Fantastic value. Not being in-ears mean they just sit in the ears and don't give that "bunged" feeling which I hate. Sound is excellent. Call quality is excellent. And my favourite feature, the touch controls are just right. Not too sensitive and crucially a single touch doesn’t pause or skip it changes the volume so in the rare situation of in an inadvertent tap it's just volume. Also, case is so light and small.

#2 Vankyo X400

Almost as good as the Soundpeats but I prefer the fit of the soundpeats. Also the case is just that but too big. Call quality great.

#3 mpow m3

Great sound and very comfortable. However, call quality is poor and FAR too sensitive to touches.

I actually have Airpod Pros but kinda got bored of them. Never thought the sub €40 market offered such good value.

Thanks for the review, do you know if any of the above earbuds can connect to two devices simultaneously, this is s feature I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Hey all. I got a pair of Taotronics Soundliberty 92 last week and while they're fine the software is a bit flaky and they don't stay in place as well as I'd like and lack a bit of punch. I'm thinking of returning them and grabbing a pair of the Soundpeats that are getting good feedback above. Mileage may vary etc but Should I expect better sound and performance from the Soundpeats or are all pairs in the 30 quid price range generally the same kind of quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Got these for the wife and initial impressions are she's very happy with them. They fit snuggly and don't fall out. Had a quick indoor phonecall and the sound was fine. She hasn't tried an outdoor phonecall yet. We just wanted a cheap pair to see how they were.

They were £18.69 and then £3 off them by clicking the voucher.

Ordered Friday, delivered yesterday (Sunday).

Gone up in price it seems. Now £22.99 with a 15% voucher.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y398JBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No issues pairing the watch and SoundPeats today. Really loving them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the review, do you know if any of the above earbuds can connect to two devices simultaneously, this is s feature I'm looking for.

you're looking at €100 plus for that and usually a good bit more

https://www.soundguys.com/bluetooth-multipoint-explained-28601/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

help a boardsie out....
    Need to buy a new set on in ear's. I dont like the airpod long stem style.
    I had a set of Sabbath Ultra's and loved the sound but had serious diificulty keeping them in my alien style ears. So much so that I have ,today, lost another bud. Thats the 3rd set so no more of them.
    Having spent the evening browsing I have narrowed down to either the
    Creative Outlier v2
    OR
    The Cambridge Melomania at over twice them price.

These will be mainly worn on the bike so need to have some sort of abilty to let in background noise and be good at staying put .
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Anyone use Jabra Elite Active 75t - are they worth the money? I'll be using mainly for jogging

They have the heaviest bass of any earphones I've ever used, so great for workouts if you listen to music to motivate. Really good sound too, in general. You can adjust the music profile using an in-app equalizer, so you don't have to blow the ears off yourself if you don't want. They're not the cheapest but there are some good deals to be had on them at the moment, with the 85t's coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

koutoubia wrote: »
    help a boardsie out....
    I had a set of Sabbath Ultra's and loved the sound but had serious diificulty keeping them in my alien style ears. So much so that I have ,today, lost another bud. Thats the 3rd set so no more of them.
    Creative Outlier v2
    OR

These will be mainly worn on the bike so need to have some sort of abilty to let in background noise and be good at staying put .
    TIA

I bought a pair of Outlier Airs when they were first released. They were thrown in a drawer a couple of days after I bought them. there were constant dropouts. there were some more people on here posting about the same problem. I haven't tried the V2 but I wouldn't be rushing to buy Creative again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

help a boardsie out....
    Creative Outlier v2
    OR

TIA

I have the Melomanias and they are fantastic. Main downside is call quality - it's pathetic for calls. In terms of staying in the ears they have a memory foam that you can press and then insert. It works great for me but if you need to have something that will stay firmly in then you might need something with "fins"? For that I'd recommend the mpow m30s.

quarryman wrote: »
    I have the Melomanias and they are fantastic. Main downside is call quality - it's pathetic for calls. In terms of staying in the ears they have a memory foam that you can press and then insert. It works great for me but if you need to have something that will stay firmly in then you might need something with "fins"? For that I'd recommend the mpow m30s.

+1 on the MPOW m30s. the fins do give a really secure fit. I'm thinking though do you really want totally wireless earbuds to use on a bike? would not consider something like the Creative Outlier One? At least with them if one falls out you won't lose it.

https://en.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-outlier-one-v2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I bought a pair of Outlier Airs when they were first released. They were thrown in a drawer a couple of days after I bought them. there were constant dropouts. there were some more people on here posting about the same problem. I haven't tried the V2 but I wouldn't be rushing to buy Creative again.

I had same issues with the first pair. They replaced them and then had another issue with volume. Got another replacement, then realised that a film of ear wax was blocking the little filter and once cleared worked fine. Now have the V2. They are excellent. They have different type of filter now and works better. Not a single issue and couldn't be happier with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

I've bought a few of the recommendations on here and there ok, ideally I'd like a pair that goes into the ear canal like etymotic, any ideas?

Thanks for the replies.
    Dont wanna go wired as I find the wires get in the way of my helmet strap and neckwarmer etc. Have a set of JBL wired and the wire drove me mad.
    Call quality isnt an issue as if the phone rings on my commute I will pull over and take it. If out for leisure unless its critical ...I am out to enjoy and destress so will ignore.
    I may have another look at the mpow m30s and see.
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭xckjoo

112143 wrote: »
    I've bought a few of the recommendations on here and there ok, ideally I'd like a pair that goes into the ear canal like etymotic, any ideas?

If you already have a good set of in-ears, have a look at something like the FiiO UTWS or BTR5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks for the replies.
    Dont wanna go wired as I find the wires get in the way of my helmet strap and neckwarmer etc. Have a set of JBL wired and the wire drove me mad.
    Call quality isnt an issue as if the phone rings on my commute I will pull over and take it. If out for leisure unless its critical ...I am out to enjoy and destress so will ignore.
    I may have another look at the mpow m30s and see.
    Ta

I have very similar needs.

I've 3-4 pairs of the M30's for the gym and general floating around. They are excellent value for money, solid sound, great fit and build quality etc The mic is ok on phone calls but not something you'd want to use for work or any serious calls. Ok for the odd call.

I also have Samsung Buds Live as my "good" set of TWS and can't believe how good they are, sound is amazing, the app lets you customise, the touch controls just work and call quality is a solid 7 or 8 out of 10, happy to use on work calls including Teams etc. Really amazing and so so comfortable and unobtrusive. They fit my ears perfectly and can sit there for hours without any discomfort.

I also cycle and whilst I don't generally use ear phones whilst cycling as I tend to cycle with a group from my club lockdown etc has meant solo training more or less for the last 12 months and the lack of conversation drove me crazy so I ended up using one ear bud in my left ear generally listening to pod casts or audio books. I initially used an M30 and whilst it worked fine I saw a review of the Earfun Free Pro's which impressed me so bought a pair and now use the left one when out cycling.

The big two advantages over the M30 are:-

1. They have a higher level of volume than the M30 which I find I need when using just one ear bud in an outdoor noisy environment. This lets me hear the pod cast clearly whilst also being able to hear traffic around me etc. It simulates being out for a spin with my friends chatting away whilst still paying attention to the road and traffic etc.

2. The "fin" on the Earfun feels more secure than the equivalent on the M30. I've never had an issue with the M30 falling out or being insecure but if you're tipping along on a bike and it falls out there's a good chance it's gone so the extra feeling of security from the Earfun just makes things better.

Hope that helps you with your decision.

You can get the Earfun Free Pro's from Amazon Germany for €50 or so, see https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Wireless-Waterproof/dp/B08MLFVQQ4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=earfun+free+pro&qid=1615370224&quartzVehicle=184-492&replacementKeywords=earfun+free&sr=8-3

^^^^^
    Thanks for that.
    My wife has an account with Amazon germany so will pull the trigger on those and give them a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

help a boardsie out....
    Creative Outlier v2
    OR

TIA

I have the newer Melomania Touch and I like them a lot. Some comments:
    • Sound quality is really good and I like the controls from the app
    • I use them all the time for calls and have had no problems or comments from others on the calls
    • I'm amazed at how quickly they charge up in their case
    • They come with a range of buds and fins so it should be possible to find something for your ears, although this can take a bit of time and trial and error
    • I use them from time to time when running and so far have had no issues with them falling out, I previously had issues with Bose buds constantly falling out of one of my ears (you're not the only one with alien ears!)
    • I haven't used them cycling and don't plan to

On the negative side I have 2 comments:
    • On one of the buds I use the large size fin and this sometimes means that bud doesn't immediately make contact in the case and doesn't charge, sometimes this causes the software to be a little glitchy with that bud not connecting to the phone when I remove them from the case - usually this is fine if I put them back in the case, ensure connection has been made and then remove them
    • If you need to fiddle with them in your ear, you will usually activate the touch controls, this is something worth living with IMO

I also had some problems with the delivery, I'm pretty sure that wasn't CA's fault, but I found the customer support incredibly helpful and very responsive in sorting that out.

Hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

xckjoo wrote: »
    If you already have a good set of in-ears, have a look at something like the FiiO UTWS or BTR5.

Cheers, tbh I'm after the convenience of tws.
    I just want a pair that fit the ear canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Any different type of wireless earphones that aren't earbuds? Cannot wear them, despite many tries due to sore ear canal afterwards every time trying some, have tried all the different size heads too.

Have seen those 'bone conductor' ones but they don't seem great sound from reviews. I like the earbud hook ones, without the earbuds obviously, but a lot don't fit tight on ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

^^^^^
    Thanks for that.
    My wife has an account with Amazon germany so will pull the trigger on those and give them a shot!
    If she needs the mic for calls, forget about it, they are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Corholio wrote: »
    Any different type of wireless earphones that aren't earbuds? Cannot wear them, despite many tries due to sore ear canal afterwards every time trying some, have tried all the different size heads too.

Have seen those 'bone conductor' ones but they don't seem great sound from reviews. I like the earbud hook ones, without the earbuds obviously, but a lot don't fit tight on ear.

Samsung Buds Live might be worth a try. They are an innovative (and very comfortable) design which doesn't use ear canal tips. They fit my ears perfectly and are very comfortable but my son has slightly smaller ears and they don't fit him at all.

I bought a pair of the Buds Live when I lost my Buds+. I bought another of Buds+ last week as the Buds Live were just not a comfortable fit. It seems they either fit you really well or they dont fit at all. There is no middle ground with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Head on over to the Athletics and Running forum for a great thread on earphones, with some feedback from owners of the bone conducting models. They are designed for activities where you want to be able to hear the world around you, so mainly sports such as running and cycling.

I was going to buy a pair myself but just couldn't get over the possibility of noise as you run by a busy road. I had really hoped to try a pair but HN's didn't have any in stock.

I ended up going for a pair of powerbeats 4 as they hook over the ears, I had tried the Jabra 65's but they just didn't feel safe in my ears and weren't great at staying connected to my garmin watch when I was using it for music. It was a pity about the Jabra's as the sound quality was top notch and for walking around they felt secure. The powerbeats don't really sit too far into the ear, I get the whole thing of the ear getting sore, happened to me, but I've done a 2hr run with the powerbeats and long dog walks I've never felt anything, plus the sound is amazing.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend the SoundPeats TrueAir2. They sit on the ear like old style earphones, instead of having to put them into the ear canal. I'm not a fan of earbuds at all, and the SoundPeats have really sorted it for me the last week.

Advertisement