Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is what they said.

"The Switch just doesn't have the online infrastructure in place that should be the bare minimum for any contemporary console, and FIFA 18 exposes that once again," Martin wrote.

"Nintendo's Switch doesn't have a built-in invite system, nor does it have a party system. The online service remains barebones, well after the console's launch and a couple of months after the dedicated mobile app - which we found to be severely lacking - went live. It's pitiful stuff."

That's clearly laying blame with Nintendo.

That's not an EA quote, that's from the guy who wrote the previous article during the week I think.

mayordenis wrote: »
    You can group up in other games though right? Like Mario Kart and Splatoon, so while I'm not happy with the online side of the Switch, I wouldn't agree that the infrastructure to group up with friends doesn't exist, unless I'm raving.

And I don't see how EA is saying 'go **** yourself it's all your fault'. EA essentially said nothing at all.

You are right, I misread some of the article in error. Apologies.

Yes you can group up in Mario Kart, done it loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Something weird seems to be up with the stock in the UK for Fifa. Read a lot of stories about people not being able to find it instore at all. Even Amazon don't have it in stock again until the 9th October, Amazon.de also have limited stock (3 units as of right now) with a week delay when they go out of stock again. It'd be a shame if it did sell bad but it seems EA may have been quite conservative with the stock anyway.

Corholio wrote: »
    Something weird seems to be up with the stock in the UK for Fifa. Read a lot of stories about people not being able to find it instore at all. Even Amazon don't have it in stock again until the 9th October, Amazon.de also have limited stock (3 units as of right now) with a week delay when they go out of stock again. It'd be a shame if it did sell bad but it seems EA may have been quite conservative with the stock anyway.

Loads in Smyths!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Like Quake and, later on, Counter Strike, acted as catalysts for the modern concepts and supporting structures of multiplayer gaming and match making, perhaps Fifa 18 on the Switch will give cause to Nintendo to improve the infrastructure and user end experience to what a would be player of Fifa should expect.
    The benefits would be manifold, including seeing developers of MMO titles as well as FPS seeing the Switch as a destination they can make money on, and hence develop software for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Loads in Smyths!

It's more in the UK specifically. Some places there seem to have plenty and others told people that stock won't be in for a few days or next week. Even Amazon UK doesn't have current stock.

Either way of course it's disappointing if it is low sales figure in all territories, will be interesting to see the sales in rest of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

mayordenis wrote: »
    You can group up in other games though right? Like Mario Kart and Splatoon, so while I'm not happy with the online side of the Switch, I wouldn't agree that the infrastructure to group up with friends doesn't exist, unless I'm raving.

And I don't see how EA is saying 'go **** yourself it's all your fault'. EA essentially said nothing at all.

Well, Mariokart and Splatoon have grouping processes, but they're implemented in-game. By not having a Friends system, EA are effectively saying that it's not their responsibility to provide that infrastructure, the gap is on Nintendo's side. That may be true, but it's also true that rather than patch that gap in an effort to make the best experience they could - which would, if nothing else, allow them to hold Ninty to ransom to some degree with FIFA19, fix it or no more FIFA - they said "**** it". And they are not commenting on it now so that's clearly still their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just played my 13 year old fifa master on the ps4. Drew 2 all then he bet me at penos cause I hadn't a clue.
    Then played him again with my 8 year old daughter on my team and we drew but this time we beat him on penos.
    Hilarious, he didn't want to play because he thought he would whip my ass but the same basic game is still their from my days playing fifa 98, the last fifa I played properly.
    My greatest gaming achievement this year by far. Think I'll get the switch version tomorrow.
    Really not cool we can't set up online matches on switch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Loving the gameplay but can’t connect to play online seasons!!!! Got in once on day 1 and not since. Driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked the Verge's review. Apart from the online stuff, it did a good job of explaining the strengths and weaknesses and came out extremely positive overall.

FIFA 18's best new feature is the Nintendo Switch version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »
    Just played my 13 year old fifa master on the ps4. Drew 2 all then he bet me at penos cause I hadn't a clue.
    Then played him again with my 8 year old daughter on my team and we drew but this time we beat him on penos.
    Hilarious, he didn't want to play because he thought he would whip my ass but the same basic game is still their from my days playing fifa 98, the last fifa I played properly.
    My greatest gaming achievement this year by far. Think I'll get the switch version tomorrow.
    Really not cool we can't set up online matches on switch though.
    last night I got the run down on how he couldn't beat me 6 or 7 níl like he did to other players on ultimate team. It's obviously eating away at him ha ha. He's looking for a rematch but I'll let him stew for a while in case he wins.
    Anyway appently my old school was of playing and not using the skills make me a difficult opponent so by my reckoning if I go onto ultimate team I'll be like a Fifa God:-) didn't have the heart to tell him he wins at ultimate team because his squad is worth a fortune, in real money(little ****).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

FIFA 18 on Switch given a 5.5 by IGN. Bit harsh in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Crikey, 5.5/10. IGNs review has become untrustworthy over the last 12 months though, it used to be my go-to site.

Fifa on the Switch is excellent and its ousted much better games I want to play because I am hooked.

Sure its missing features, but its a title in its own right, Fifa on PS4\X1 dont get docked marked for not being able to play off tv or on the go and besides i want to play footballs games, not story modes in a Sports SIM!

So far Kudos to Fifa. Its a very good game, thats coming from a proper Soccer fan.

P.S. COYBIG, great results last night bring on the playoffs!

I don't watch a lot of sports. Just the international games really. Found myself watching the Ireland game last night and finally understanding why I can't keep possession in FIFA, due to my own propensity for hoofing the ball up the pitch hoping against all logic that one of my tiny lads will get on the end of it. I blame growing up in the Charlton years. It's not just a superb on the go game, it's educational!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Banjo wrote: »
    I don't watch a lot of sports. Just the international games really. Found myself watching the Ireland game last night and finally understanding why I can't keep possession in FIFA, due to my own propensity for hoofing the ball up the pitch hoping against all logic that one of my tiny lads will get on the end of it. I blame growing up in the Charlton years. It's not just a superb on the go game, it's educational!

You hit the nail in the head Banjo :)

Playing long balls isnt best option, but I am trying to learn how to PING the perfect long ball and crosses over keeping it on the ground to better my skills. Then go online and finally try take some better folks than me on :)

I have played 3 online so far, won 2 and one draw (not bad I had 10 men and down 1-0 and half time). Enjoying the online more than other games, so far played about 14 Prem League games, 5 exhibition matches and 3 online so had a lot of playtime so far and enjoyed every minute.

I was flying through UT, winning 15- or 20- nil, racking up the gold and spending it on cheap new gold players. I was the greatest Fifa player in the world!

Then I found out about Contracts
    80% of my first team refused to play for me till I paid them. But, sure, I spent all my money on new players. Lads, just go out and win this one for the Banjster, then we'll split the winnings?

No takers?

And now I'm slumming it with my initial bronzes as much as possible, driving the poor bastards into the ground with no substitutions and grinding out pitiful 0-0 / 1-0 results to keep my head above water. This isn't the gatcha-game I signed on for!

I've turned to Career mode as a break. It's interesting playing a single position when you have no idea what the role of that position is. Changes the way I look at (and shout at) the game. I know that's not new, sure I had that in FIFA 13, but this time I didn't immediately put myself directly into Messi's shoes (leaving him on the bench) nor did I screw up Barca's hopes of league and european glory by constantly accidentally mixing up the Shoot, Pass and Lob buttons under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

kevin2me wrote: »
    Crikey, 5.5/10. IGNs review has become untrustworthy over the last 12 months though, it used to be my go-to site.

I still use IGN quite a bit for reviews. Plus I really enjoy the podcasts they make.
    What sites do you use most now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I wonder will we see PES on Switch. A good opportunity in the wake of luke warm reception for FIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Having played FIFA for a long long time on other systems, here's my 2 cents. It's decent, but not great. Players touches are horrible, and often times button pressed seem slightly delayed. You can't release quick passes or shots, if you want to play one touch passes around the pitch you need to press pass well before the ball has come to you. Everything just seems a bit laboured. The main mode I play is ultimate team, and due to the small player base on Switch I've found it difficult to find games with the small pool online. Similarly, buying decent players is next to impossible because there are so few on the market. Hopefully they release a patch to improve gameplay a bit. Graphics wise there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, it looks great! They also need to fix the online so you can play friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

baldshin wrote: »
    Players touches are horrible, and often times button pressed seem slightly delayed. You can't release quick passes or shots, if you want to play one touch passes around the pitch you need to press pass well before the ball has come to you.

Wow, that's a deal breaker. Has that been mentioned in any of the reviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Anyone finding this is horsing your battery? I'm losing 10% battery per 1 online match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

So finished my first season last night as a manager.

Was 1 point above my nearest rival, needed a win over 3rd place to win the league.

Draw.

Announced at the end of the match that we had won the league. Players celebrating and everything. Exitted. came second in the league.

Thats top quality development. well done EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, this Fifa is as ropey as a bag of ropes made from rope!

- On multiple occasions I have attempted to "train" and the wrong mini-game will load. I'll have chosen to practice defending and when it loads i'm taking free kicks
    - The commentators will say "They did well last time out, beating Wolves 3-0" when my last game was actually a 0-1 loss to Burnley
    - I went into the last game of the season needing to win to guarantee a Play Off. Commentators mentioned that if I won i'd get promoted. I won. No promotion!

With regard to the gameplay, the controls are like mud. The reactions are so slow that you almost have to know what pass you need to play 5 seconds before you're due to make it.

Having said all that, I love Fifa on the Switch. I can't stop playing it. Had it on two flights over the patst week and it was the perfect companion. Very glad I bought it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One would hope these would be patched asap by EA, I wonder how Switch specific sales are going, and if it'll drive more Switch titles from EA.
    https://gamerant.com/fifa-18-nintendo-switch-uk-sales-030/
    This says that the Switch edition accounts for 3% of the games overall sales, but I don't think it takes into account that the PS4 and Xbox One have 6 and 3 million sales each, or thereabouts, while the Switch has considerably less than that, with 4.7 million world wide, and possibly around 7% of the combined PS4/XB1 total in the UK, making the 3% of total sales far more logical.
    Fifa was always going to be a tremendous seller on the PS4/XB1, whereas it was never going to gain traction on the Switch in a massive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

got fired last night for not having a better season with my club.

I got hired with 2 games left and won both.

If i didnt enjoy the gameplay so much.

How does the player mode fair out in comparison?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One would hope these would be patched asap by EA, I wonder how Switch specific sales are going, and if it'll drive more Switch titles from EA.
    https://gamerant.com/fifa-18-nintendo-switch-uk-sales-030/
    This says that the Switch edition accounts for 3% of the games overall sales, but I don't think it takes into account that the PS4 and Xbox One have 6 and 3 million sales each, or thereabouts, while the Switch has considerably less than that, with 4.7 million world wide, and possibly around 7% of the combined PS4/XB1 total in the UK, making the 3% of total sales far more logical.
    Fifa was always going to be a tremendous seller on the PS4/XB1, whereas it was never going to gain traction on the Switch in a massive way.

I still think those sales would have been much improved if they simple created a better version of the game.
    Not having ability to play friends is still ridiculous and lazy development.

I still think those sales would have been much improved if they simple created a better version of the game.
    Not having ability to play friends is still ridiculous and lazy development.

Yeah, can't disagree with any of that.

I just hope they take those results in the context of what they did. It's the bones of a decent game, living in the shadow of its superior big brother. It will never be it's big brother. They can either neglect it and let it wither, push it to be something it's not and ruin what it is, or foster and nurture what makes it a great game, tighten up the mechanics, expand on some of the ideas and fix the obvious blunders.

I'm still talking about FIFA, this is not me confessing my fears about my 2nd daughter.

Fifa 19 could be great, but honestly I think they'll get bogged down in chasing the Engine Gap at best or will more likely just not bother their holes and will roll out a roster change and maybe a new exclusive jersey. Woooooo!

The one caveat would be if they put a big team together to strip down and rebuild Frostbyte for the Switch with a view to giving us Battlefield, Mirrors Edge, a Dragon Age trilogy box set on top of any FIFA parity it would bring - you could milk a year or two of big name releases that would cost very little to develop once the engine is in place. But that's a long term commitment, which has not been EA's style with Ninty for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Banjo wrote: »
    I just hope they take those results in the context of what they did. It's the bones of a decent game, living in the shadow of its superior big brother. It will never be it's big brother. They can either neglect it and let it wither, push it to be something it's not and ruin what it is, or foster and nurture what makes it a great game, tighten up the mechanics, expand on some of the ideas and fix the obvious blunders.

I'm still talking about FIFA, this is not me confessing my fears about my 2nd daughter.

Fifa 19 could be great, but honestly I think they'll get bogged down in chasing the Engine Gap at best or will more likely just not bother their holes and will roll out a roster change and maybe a new exclusive jersey. Woooooo!

The one caveat would be if they put a big team together to strip down and rebuild Frostbyte for the Switch with a view to giving us Battlefield, Mirrors Edge, a Dragon Age trilogy box set on top of any FIFA parity it would bring - you could milk a year or two of big name releases that would cost very little to develop once the engine is in place. But that's a long term commitment, which has not been EA's style with Ninty for a long time.

I'm not going to hold my breath for any new EA titles for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

If enough people buy the Switch that'll make the decisions for them.
    EA's money sniffing dogs will be baying at the Ninty door until they get in and make content to beat the band.
    No way any company will pass up the chance to make lovely cash.

Advertisement