Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 18 - Switch Edition (Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Banjo wrote: »
    Does the Japanese version have English? The Nintendo life review drove me to look at the FUT mode, which - while not as extensive as on the PS/XB - sounds like a decent single player challenge. I'll be sad to leave Jo'burgh but something tells me I'll be back one day...

yes it does, but its a pain to pay in the Japan eshop. You need Japanese eshop cards.

The Russian store is the easiest for €51, just need to change your location to Russia on https://accounts.nintendo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Played Fifa until 3am last night, as of now, id rate it a 9/10 for me.
    Yes 9/10 may seem a tad high but as a footie fan, I can see me getting a lot of playtime with this and EA have actually done a good job on this one.
    It's up there with Mario Kart for replayability for my own tastes and it is much closer to PES than I would have thought.

Completely glad I took a hit on it (Not a fan of sports games yearly updates and the cost they entail).
    Tried again on Russian eshop, and it worked again this time, 52e. And I must say I am loving it.
    Deleted most testfires\demos and I've finally maxed out my Switch 32GB with 13GB Fifa on it.

Pros:
    Gameplay (Controls are spot on, weight of the ball, game physics, and AI. Also plays fast and crisp, which I hear is a plus compared to frostbite version )
    Graphics (Really strong animations, surprised at how realistic players looked, even firmino's tattoos made it in).
    Replayability (Looking forward to next league match, im hooked and waiting to get home and back at)

Cons:
    Menus (Take a bit of getting used to)
    Handheld mode (hand cramping up after a long play session due to intensity needed with left-hand controls, think split joys or Pro controller will fix this)
    I hear it has got a bad bug with heads not displaying & issue with no being able to play online with friends. (Not an issue for me)

Took me about 5 matches to think, Frostbite, what could that add, not too much tbh. I was worried it be a gimped version and its not, its a great version of Fifa and one I will play a lot thanks to Switches Heldheld mode at home than I ever would on X1 fifa 17 which lays sitting on a shelve all year. For me this is a AAA Switch game if your a footie fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

kevin2me wrote: »
    Played Fifa until 3am last night, as of now, id rate it a 9/10 for me.
    Yes 9/10 may seem a tad high but as a footie fan, I can see me getting a lot of playtime with this and EA have actually done a good job on this one.
    It's up there with Mario Kart for replayability for my own tastes and it is much closer to PES than I would have thought.

Completely glad I took a hit on it (Not a fan of sports games yearly updates and the cost they entail).
    Tried again on Russian eshop, and it worked again this time, 52e. And I must say I am loving it.
    Deleted most testfires\demos and I've finally maxed out my Switch 32GB with 13GB Fifa on it.

Pros:
    Gameplay (Controls are spot on, weight of the ball, game physics, and AI. Also plays fast and crisp, which I hear is a plus compared to frostbite version )
    Graphics (Really strong animations, surprised at how realistic players looked, even firmino's tattoos made it in).
    Replayability (Looking forward to next league match, im hooked and waiting to get home and back at)

Cons:
    Menus (Take a bit of getting used to)
    Handheld mode (hand cramping up after a long play session due to intensity needed with left-hand controls, think split joys or Pro controller will fix this)
    I hear it has got a bad bug with heads not displaying & issue with no being able to play online with friends. (Not an issue for me)

Took me about 5 matches to think, Frostbite, what could that add, not too much tbh. I was worried it be a gimped version and its not, its a great version of Fifa and one I will play a lot thanks to Switches Heldheld mode at home than I ever would on X1 fifa 17 which lays sitting on a shelve all year. For me this is a AAA Switch game if your a footie fan.
    Great review thanks. I'm not a big football fan but I will be buying this as I always liked football games and I can't compete with my fifa loving 13 year old anymore. I need practice. Now....just to finish Mario & Rabbids first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Got to play this on the big screen last night against a mate.
    To be honest I see very little different visually in-game with FIFA 17 on Xbox.
    Enjoying it a lot. Only downside is online play with friends not being there. Other than that though, delighted with this.

Brought it to work today for tabletop lunchbreak matches against work mates. Roll on 1 o'clock.

Enjoying it a lot. Only downside is online play with friends not being there. Other than that though, delighted with this.

Brought it to work today for tabletop lunchbreak matches against work mates. Roll on 1 o'clock.

Is it still possible to play friends? In a fluke situation via match making?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You have to sing the matchmaker song whilst crossing your eyes to increase your chances because a % amount.
    You also unlock the matchmaker achievements then.

I would respond with an "Oh You" meme but can't right now!

Technically I would say yes this is possible. But I doubt if it's likely.
    Only connection thats made between you and your friends account is you can see what their score is in the Skill Games that come up before each match has loaded.

Technically I would say yes this is possible. But I doubt if it's likely.
    Only connection thats made between you and your friends account is you can see what their score is in the Skill Games that come up before each match has loaded.
    It's such a shame Nintendo & EA don't smarten up here.
    Nintendos lack of support for this kind of thing is so poor but also nothing stopping EA building in a simple party feature into the menus either. We see this in all types of games no problem.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's such a shame Nintendo & EA don't smarten up here.
    Nintendos lack of support for this kind of thing is so poor but also nothing stopping EA building in a simple party feature into the menus either. We see this in all types of games no problem.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned this is the only draw-back of this game. FIFA is such a social game that I thought it would be the first thing EA would have worked on for this version.
    Here's hoping a patch is on the way and soon. For me that would boost this game from being an 8 out of 10 to a 9 or more.:)

• Advertisement

how did lunch go? Genuinely curious if this worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Why doesn't the FUT web app work with Switch? Is this a Nintendo restriction?

iamtony wrote: »

Great craic. Squeezed in 3 games with 2 lads who play FIFA on PS4.
    I was beaten in 1 so they adapted well to going from PS4 version to small screen Switch version. They were all impressed with how it looked and played.

It should be noted that we were using 1 pro controller and then the joycons in the grip. We didn't play with one joycon each so I'm not sure how easy it is to play like that. I think it's gonna become a regular feature at lunchtime now.
    Even my boss is thinking of picking up a Switch now based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This is delicate, leave him be.

He had visions of a wonderful lunch break on the roof with everyone smiling and laughing. What he didn't foresee was an aging Fabregas slipping a ball through his static defence in the 88th minute leaving him stranded even after dominating possession.

The best we can hope for now is that he'll realise pushing for a victory away at Stamford Bridge is not always the best idea.

Edit: blockfighter posted before me. So glad he's OK.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This is delicate, leave him be.

He had visions of a wonderful lunch break on the roof with everyone smiling and laughing. What he didn't foresee was an aging Fabregas slipping a ball through his static defence in the 88th minute leaving him stranded even after dominating possession.

The best we can hope for now is that he'll realise pushing for a victory away at Stamford Bridge is not always the best idea.

Edit: blockfighter posted before me. So glad he's OK.
    lol brilliant. So Karen never showed up?

That's what it's all about isn't it. Local multilayer beats online every time.

That's what it's all about isn't it. Local multilayer beats online every time.

Everytime. Best craic I've had playing the Switch is when a few mates have called over for a few games. FIFA is perfect for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

lol brilliant. So Karen never showed up?

F@ck you Karen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I am going to say I've upgraded my "review score" to a strong 8 out of 10 after spending some time with the game and realizing a lot of things I was neglecting when calling it a 6/10 and complaining a lot.

This is a great game.

If you like football and you own a Switch then it is an absolute must buy.

I've found that the sleep function on the Switch is great for a game like this. I can spend time goofing around in my manager career and then just put the switch to sleep and pick it up later on and have a quick match. Even better than this, you can "switch" between handheld and TV so quickly that it is definitely a "must have" function.

While I was giving out that the TV mode isn't up to the PS4 standard I forgot that, actually, it is still a very very good standard and that the ability to go from TV to handheld and back is a function that trumps graphics, to be honest.

It was actually having the game at home that, for me, actually does elevate this above the PS4 and XBOX versions. I can have it on the TV downstairs and then can step away to build a log cabin and still keep playing. Graphics aren't everything, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So I'm relatively new to FIFA, having only played a handful of matches in 13 on WiiU and then I had 04 on GameCube I think. But I gather it's less of a pinball and more of a skill game these days. Teach me!

Played UT. Won my first match 8-0. Woohoo! It wasn't down to any great skill though. Hate that you get logged out if you put the switch to sleep, makes FUT almost incompatible with portable play. Any tips on players to watch for in the market?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Almost makes me want to go out and buy it.... almost....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »
    Any tips on players to watch for in the market?

Watch out for Duncan Ferguson. He has a mean left hook.

BOrZNORCMAAYANq.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Almost makes me want to go out and buy it.... almost....

LOL and I thought i had a bad backlog!

LOL and I thought i had a bad backlog!

You literally have no idea.
    I'll post a picture of my gamesroom to give you an idea of my true pile of games waiting to be played.
    It's just ridiculous.

Looks like EA pretty much saying to Nintendo, go **** yourself it's all your fault (kind of true)

But they also completely dodge the question of having an in app solution

That's the end of that then unless Nintendo actually gets the finger out.

My concern here is for Doom coming up also. Bethesda better implement a party solution for match making in game or the same issues present itself here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-05-we-asked-ea-to-explain-why-you-cant-play-fifa-18-online-against-friends-on-nintendo-switch

Looks like this has potentially impacted sales also.
    Apparently first week sales are coming in and Switch version finished 7th in the sales ranking behind the x360 version even.
    I can see EA not bothering after this.

I'm going to pick this up t to support 3rd party, I wanted Fifa portable too but such a shame about the online stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's a bull**** answer to a question that shouldn't have to be asked. Yes, Ninty need to get their **** together, but EA can't keep bleating on - as they did on the run up to launch- about how FIFA18 on Switch is a custom, tailored experience when there's very little evidence that they did any tailoring or customising, they just cut a bunch of **** out. That's not Tailoring, that's Barbering!

No effort put into Online on EA's part, other than requiring an always-on connection on the most popular mode on a portable console. Yes I AM still harping on about that, what's it to you???

Again, this is not to absolve Ninty of any blame, they need to fix this because it's going to hurt developers who don't have the resources to cover this shortcoming up, but EA? Come on the ****. A Friends system can be implemented in many ways. EA have forced their own online account service into FIFA for christs sake. If you're going to harvest my data from the fertile fields of Ninty's servers, give something back you lazy, greedy pricks.

As for Sales figures, they didn't get review code out till after the game launched. There was no demo. They didn't try to sell the game, and it didn't sell - what the **** did they think was going to happen? Also, are they looking at the Japanese and Russian sales figures? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Looks like EA pretty much saying to Nintendo, go **** yourself it's all your fault (kind of true)

But they also completely dodge the question of having an in app solution

That's the end of that then unless Nintendo actually gets the finger out.

My concern here is for Doom coming up also. Bethesda better implement a party solution for match making in game or the same issues present itself here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-05-we-asked-ea-to-explain-why-you-cant-play-fifa-18-online-against-friends-on-nintendo-switch

You can group up in other games though right? Like Mario Kart and Splatoon, so while I'm not happy with the online side of the Switch, I wouldn't agree that the infrastructure to group up with friends doesn't exist, unless I'm raving.

And I don't see how EA is saying 'go **** yourself it's all your fault'. EA essentially said nothing at all.

I'm not sure where the sales figures come from but il do a bit of digging when I get a chance.
    I'm with you on this EA in general are your typical asshole publisher anyway and yes the port seems to be half arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I've seen the UK sales being bandied about, but those are a pretty worthless gauge for Nintedo/EA. Sony has the UK all locked up by now.

Advertisement