Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

James O'Donoghue sent off after a dive from a Crokes player holding his face.

James pushed him away in the chest. Linesman right there but recommended a Red. Not sure how having watched it on the stream.

EDIT: I am wrong. Watched it back again. He does swing at him so was rightly sent off. From watching in real time it didnt look like a strike at all but with the benefit of being able to rewind he was a lot higher than I initially thought. Fair call from the linesman!

Post edited by DDC1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Have we now 'found' 3 defenders for Kerry, our problem area...

Dylan Casey

Stefan Okunbor

Jack O'Shea

Also Jack Savage to make it up front next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I would be giving all of these backs a good look in the league

Stefan Okunbor

Dylan Casey 

Dan O’Donoghue

Daniel O’Brien

Savage not good enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Plus Cormac Coffey and Andrew Barry. Both were excellent all championship.

Agree on Jack Savage, has the skills but none of the other attributes required for inter county.

Cormac Coffey is off the standard too in my opinion. Very good club player and brilliant pace but he’s lacking a bit of size and physicality as well as being rash in possession often giving it away. He was given a good go in 2018 but didn’t cut it. Andrew Barry isn’t as clear cut in my opinion, he’s in fantastic form at the moment. The big question mark is pace. Unfortunately I think he would be exposed in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Patrick O Sullivan back in the hot seat after election tonight. Tim Murphy the first chairman to not win an all Ireland. A man more concerned with the accounts than the on field activity and won't be missed by many Kerry fans.

Hopefully Patrick enjoys the success he had previously. Best of luck to him, Jack and all the lads next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Are you able to say why Jerome Stack resigned before the throw-in, all sounds very odd?

Not happy with the club decision to play the game after a request to change date was denied by the county board it seems. Missing a few key players but leaving the morning of the county final seems like a massive over reaction. I'm not sure if hes a na Gaeil clubman but I doubt he will be involved with the club again after that.

This is from the Kerryman:

What we do know is that Na Gaeil manager Jerome Stack wasn’t involved with the team on Saturday having vacated his position on the morning of the game. The Kileen club had tendered a request to the County Board for an alternative date for the game to take place, but when this was denied the decision was made by the Na Gaeil executive and players that the game would be played. It would appear that was a circle Stack could square and he stepped back from his managerial role.

As it transpired Na Gaeil lined out without three of their named starting fifteen with Jack Bourke coming in for Jack Barry (Covid), Oisin Maunsell coming in for Eoin Doody (attending a wedding), and Jack Sheehan lining out for Jamie Lowham (injured).

I don't know much more than this. The players met and decided not to play the game for a variety of reasons. County Board came back with a counter offer of a massive fine and 24 week suspension. Club officials made the decision that the game would have to be played and Jerome seems to have stood down in support of the players.

No idea who was in the right here but I'd imagine that both sides felt that they were doing what was best for the Club/Players. The team will move on with new management and give the Munster Club a good rattle.

I heard the players had a vote and decided to play it. They were only missing one with covid so it’s very odd by Stack. Who was on the line for them does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

He’s from Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

County Board could not postpone as the winning team is out in the Munster Championship weekend of the 18/19th December.

These coaches think they are running the GAA at times.

Slava Ukrainii

Jack O’Connor is supposed to have given the text or call to those chosen on his panel last Thursday. Anyone know who’s been dropped or called in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

When is the new jersey out, I see O'Neills have a placeholder on their website for it..

9 new panellists in

Stefan Okunbor - Na Gaeil

Andrew Barry - Na Gaeil

Jack Savage - Kerins O'Rahillys

Dylan Casey - Austin Stacks

Greg Horan - Austin Stacks

Jack O'Shea - Austin Stacks

Shane Murphy - Dr.Crokes

Dan O'Donoghue - Spa

Dara Roche - Glenflesk

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

stefan.. had to be included... should be an option for halfback/midfield.. not an option for fullback line..

andrew.. delighted to see him get a chance.. imo prob most natural centre back in the county... pace might not be there... but i dont recall any of the best centre backs in either football or hurling being 100m champions..

Jack .. waste of time

dylan.. looks a serious prospect... natural fullback line defender.. (there scarce)

Shane Murphy.. better than Shane Ryan but i think fitzgibbon is better than both of them

dara.. i asked on here before was this guy good enuf for kerry as i thought he was.... looks like hes going to get a chance.. hed surely be better than geaney...

wouldnt know much bout the other lads.... no one from North Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The other Stacks lads looked decent in the County Championship, but will be interesting to see when they actually get their chance - given both them and Na Gaeil will expect at worst to reach Munster finals, you'd imagine they'll all skip the McGrath Cup and won't get outings until the League starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Quite odd that you say that Jack, the best forward in the county championship this year, is a waste of time and then reference forwards who did absolutely nothing as being worth a shot.

Whats the criteria?

McGrath cup starting the 5th of January. It’ll be interesting to see who lines out for us. The Stacks and Na Gaeil players won’t be available and there’s no point in rolling out our main players when we’re fully aware of their capabilities. I presume all the new panellists who are available will start as well as the fringe players from last year who are still involved. A few more experienced players will be needed to make up the rest of the 15. It’s a good opportunity for the likes of Tony Brosnan and Killian Spillane to lead an inter county attack too and be the star forward. That team should’ve good enough to beat Limerick and Tipperary and make the final.

Possible team

Shane Murphy

Brian Leonard

Tadhg Morley

Gavin Crowley

Mike Breen

Dan O’Donoghue

Graham O’Sullivan

Paul O’Shea

Adrian Spillane

Ronan Buckley

Jack Savage

Michael Burns

Tony Brosnan

Killian Spillane

Dara Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is david clifford going to Australia?

• Advertisement

Yeah, unfortunately he is already over there. Packed up the new baby and the girlfriend, gave up on the college course he was doing and headed off. Was only a matter of time really.

Welcome back lawerence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Was it in the news? I cant recall hearing it until tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Game against Limerick being streamed on https://www.clubber.ie/

Hurlers game against Tipp on Saturday also being streamed on that site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Very strong team named for tonight's game against Limerick in the McGrath cup.

Tried to copy and paste it here but the formatting is all messed up.

Big surprise is Stefan Okunbor at midfield, considering Na Gaeil are in the Munster Intermediate Final in 2 weeks time.

Close to a full strength forward line (with Seánie O'Shea on the bench).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

yeah disappointing to be honest.... obviously you would expect a few regulars to play.. but surely could have put out a few more than just 3 debutants...

Jack wants to implament a new system of play I guess. I'd imagine the forwards will be required to put some sort of press into action as a unit so we are as well to try it out tonight.

They only have 3 weeks before the League starts and a poor league will put him on the back foot. He wasn't the most popular choice as manager and has seen with Peter Keane that you don't get any leeway to deliver an All Ireland.

He has approximately 15 games to get it right. May as well start tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Can't help but think this is related to the fact that he only got a two year term as manager.

Given the way his appointment was handled Jack has to know that if he doesn't win Sam in the next two years, the odds of him getting his term extended are fairly slight.

I'd expect Jack's focus to be very much on the short-term and this to be reflected in his selection of players over his term.

• Advertisement

Clubber stream not working at all.

Kerry already 2-2 to 0-1 ahead after just over 10mins

Advertisement