Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Did he play any underage for Kerry minors etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,223 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBF he has had more than just one good game. He has been consistent with St Jude's all season it seems and has been very influential in getting them to the Dublin county final, I think that he why he is being watched

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the Dublin championship at all. But the media hype after his MOTM game has gone into overdrive.

Just had a glance at the Dublin thread and seems he was playing intermediate with Judes up to last year so has clearly put in some work.

We also have to consider if he even has any interest in playing county football. He might not and might just be happy playing away with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,223 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We are caught for strong tall players. We seem to have a lot of fast mobile players but lads to hold central positions are not exactly in abundance at present.

As you say he is Dublin based and may not be interested. As well it seems he really came on the scene this year. I think he is 24 years of age my son played community games football against him. I taught he has a huge skillset back then.

Because Dublin football is often a strength based game I think from that point alone any player that manages there in a central position may and I say may be worth a look.

As I said he is not a one game wonder this season. The media hype has not go e into hype but he is getting exposure after 2-4 good games on the trot. Even if he has a howler in the final this Sunday I think he is still worth a look and a try out in the league if he is willing to commit and if the coaches think he is good enough.

Commitment seems to have been his issue from minor through to last year. It a huge step up from club to county and making the commitment and the jump is immense.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fair points Bass. And I'd hope to God you're right. Anything that helps us is very welcome and agree with you about needing mobile lads capable of handling themselves around the middle.

I'll have to try and catch the Dublin final to get a look at him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Dublin final live on tg4 this Sunday.... there will be much interest in how young Pat plays....

think he trained a wee bit with the Kerry minors back in 2015... but our messiah Jack had no interest in him so he didnt last long and never made any matchday panels or saw any action... fair play to him for working away at his skills/fitness etc. over the last few years.... he may be a late developer.... i still couldnt see Jack bringing him in... seems to be an issue with the Spillanes by practically all Kerry football management teams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Is this the Donegal final in disguise? Dire stuff.

Gripping finishes to be fair. Huge credit to brendans to come back twice like they did from both soft goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Conditions were really poor to be fair.

However as I have said previously, the standard of football in this years championship has been poor overall.

Looked ok on tv, but that can be deceiving.

The set of penalties from Stacks were as good as I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Gutted. Fantastic heart from the Brendan's. Hard not to think this will be as close as they will get in a long time. The loss of Diarmuid was massive.

Top class penalties from Stacks to be fair. Hope they go on and win it now.

Any official word on the Intermediate Final? Surely Na Gaeil would get an extra week to prepare and they won't play it next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

First All-Tralee county final since 1963, which would have involved Mitchels back then, and first between Stacks and Rahillys since 1936, when the latter would still have been Strand Road!

https://twitter.com/austinstacksabu/status/1462452768153686016

County senior final confirmed for December 5th at 3 in Austin Stack Park, intermediate decider the day before at 1.45 in Fitzgerald Stadium:

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1463608584122646538

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Kerry GAA legend Darragh O Se to appeal three-year driving ban - Irish Mirror Online

Is there more to this than appears? If a sample is that high there must be mitigating circumstances as to why he would appeal. Has anyone any insight into the logic behind the appeal and if they think it will be successful?

Excellent result for Kilmoyley, who, rather unexpectedly, have defeated the Tipp intermediate champs Moyne-Templetuohy by 10 points.

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1464978771895848969

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kilmoyley fully deserved the win today, a great team performance, they worked hard for the whole game and got the goals at a good time in the first half, continued with the same workrate in the second half and got the job done, the one thing Kilmoyley have is that they are very organised, they showed that today in the second half, they didn't give up any goal chance to the Tipp lads, the Kilmoyley backs weren't letting anything in.

Watched the clips on Buff Egan’s Snapchat. FairPlay to the guy for giving games like this an online audience. Yes he’s a bit mad and could cut down on the swearing with a lot of kids following him, but still he’s doing a great service to the club game.

Kilmoyley looked very sharp, very well balanced all over the field. Daniel Collins looked like he was fully fit which he wasn’t during the Kerry championship. Maurice O Connor likewise after a health scare. The conditions looked bad and maybe suited Kilmoyley. Would be great to see them progress and win the semi to make a Munster final. I think sometimes the Kerry club teams are very short sighted and take the foot off after winning the county final. A Kerry senior champion should be able to win a Munster intermediate every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya I agree our clubs should be winning a Munster Intermediate Club Championship or else be making the final stages of it, I suppose the last few years Lixnaw met a very good Charleville side and Causeway ran into Ballysaggart who were both very good teams, Ballyduff I remember were beat by Kanturk another year in Tralee and they are now a Senior A side in Cork.

That a side what is holding our clubs back in winning a Munster? Does the County Championship mean so much to the players that when its finally won by whoever that players just down tools and have little interest in playing in Munster? Or is it that we play too many competitions between ourselves that is holding back the club game in Kerry?

I fancy Kilmoyley to make the final now, but the favourites to win it out are probably in the other semi final Mungret or Courcey Rovers,

I wouldn’t say teams down tools, but it’s just not as important as winning the county championship. If something isn’t as important then a person or team will always drop a level even if they don’t mean too. But to be fair to Kilmoyley they looked a level above where they were during the county championship. Maybe the long break is a good thing as it allowed them to fully reset for the Munster club rather than being rushed into it like most other years.If they can get past Dunhill in the semi final I would never write off Kilmoyley in a final as underdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I’d say John Meyler is really driving them on now because he has said that winning a Munster is his big aim with Kilmoyley because he’s won plenty of county championships with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is the County final being streamed by 24/7 gaa on Sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

They left it late to announce the stream. Made sure to get as many ticket sales as possible😄

Na Gaeil Intermediate Champions!

Fantastic achievement.

Did enough with the wind in the first half and controlled the end of the game well enough to deserve their win.

Diarmuid O'Connor playing through a broken hand 2 weeks after surgery on a broken bone is fantastic stuff (though not exactly medically sound).

Had a whole load of other issues over the past week but got through it and will play Senior football for the first time ever next year.

Great win especially missing Jack Barry although Beaufort were missing their best forward in Liam Carey. How did Okunbor do?

Yeah Carey and Barry losses massive for both sides.

Stefan played really well I thought. Relentless running. Looked comfortable on the ball (though had one turnover late on when the ref got in his way and turned back into a Beaufort tackle) and his running up the middle with and without the ball caused Beaufort terrible trouble.

Andrew Barry was head and shoulders above everyone on the field for me continuing the fantastic form he showed for St Brendan's. It's a pity Championship isn't played on winter ground because he's be perfect for Kerry as a sweeper. He's just short a yard of pace on summer ground I fear.

I am biased but Damian Bourke would be one guy from left field I'd like Jack to take a look at. He is an old school corner back. Won't be flashy and bomb forward but is a superb tackler and man marker. He's a bit on the small side but young yet. It will probably come to pass that he will forever be a good club cornerback but I feel like he's the sort of player to raise his game the higher the level he is playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

A great result for Na Gaeil, hopefully they'll have a long campaign in the Munster & All Ireland Club.

Stefan has done well since he's landed back. He's not the finished article by any means but plenty of great attributes to offer.

Andrew Barry has probably earned himself another look by Jack with his performances for club and district. He has shown much better form than most of our other backs. Perhaps a prolonged run in the Intermediate All Ireland series might come against him.

Oisin Maunsell is a very encouraging prospect also and Enda O'Connor improving all the time, too.

A good time for football in Tralee.

Fantastic that Stefan is playing well. I wonder where will he best utilised for Kerry? The possibilities are full back, wing back or midfield. Foley i thought did really well at full back this year and they’re similar enough so I don’t think they could play in the full back line together. If he was to play midfield I think a role where he tries to get back to hold the centre of defence would make good use of his athleticism.

Bourke definitely is a good corner back and he did well on Sean O’Shea in the first round of the county championship, but I think his lack of size will prevent him stepping up. Maybe he might be worth a place on the panel but I couldn’t see him ever being a starter as Tom O’Sullivan has the smaller corner back position nailed down. Brian Leonard Castleisland and Donagh Buckley Rahillys are other very good club corner backs around the county.

Crokes looked like they were in a bit of bother with 10 mins to go in the first half, but reeled off a series of scores to lead Legion 0-11 to 1-5 at Half Time.

Outscored Legion by 6 points in that 10 min period.

Legion looked totally out of steam and Crokes put plenty of bodies behind the ball and killed Legion on the counter in that 10 mins.

• Advertisement

Jonathan Lyne sent off for Legion. 2nd Yellow I hope because the commentary on the stream is disastrous.

Crokes lead 1-14 to 1-7 now. Game well and truely over.

Advertisement