Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

I wonder was playing Jack at half forward just a way of giving him game time with the absence of Moynihan? In reality Burns will never be considered good enough to start big games and will be a late game replacement for Moynihan or O Brien.

Can the same point be made for Murphy, that Keane was giving him a chance to prove himself rather than him actually believing he’s a better option than Crowley?

Will Kerry play a challenge game between now and the semi final I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I assume an A vs. B will be all you could risk at this stage and ask fellas to go at it.

Keane has made a couple of changes in the last while and all have weakened the team. Ryan coming back into goal, Murphy going CB. Crowley is fairly new at CB he needs every game possible there. I think PM was going well.i. Training and it was decided that CB was the only available option.

I am getting very fearful of where we are going.

Slava Ukrainii

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He has spoken a lot about the importance of the whole panel and horses for courses etc. This would explain some of his decisions, that he is trying to have as many options as possible. That’s fine once he actually knows who his best team are.

I think our best game was against Tyrone where we played with speed and intent. Fitzgibbon in goals with the quick kick outs and O Connor playing as the primary midfielder is the key to this as he does everything quicker than Moran.I’ve accepted that Moran will be a starter but he needs to play in a more defensive role.

Im not sure if it was mentioned yet but how calm and collected did Mike Breen look yesterday when on the ball. Looked like he had been playing senior championship for years. Reminded me of a young Eamon Breen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

Ryan was hopeless in goal. Contrast him with the Galway goalie who got to the 45m line twice if I remember correctly.

Ryan barely travels more than 5 metres and his passes are ludicrously short - invariably to the nearest man. Any goalie should be able to get the ball over one forward at least. The best move is when the two nearest backs divide left and right (taking their forwards with them) leaving a throughway to the 45 m plus line. If forwards don't follow punch ball to either back - left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I couldn't understand the change in keeper either, Fitzgibbon was the keeper we were missing because he does things fast, Ryan has yet to convince me that he is a top keeper

I can understand the importance of the whole panel. However this team has a lot of new players. Certain positions are critical. Goalie and CB being two of them. Both Fitzgibbon and Crowley are relatively inexperienced at this this level. If you have them in you sights to start the semi's and hopefully the final you should be starting them in every game possible and giving them as much game time as possible in the position.

Because of this it is obvious that he is looking at PM at CB and SR in goals.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

It'll be interesting to see how the Dubs go today! But unlike some people I'm not overly worried about facing Tyrone in the Semi, Sure they'll try and make it a tight dog fight but I think we're on a completely different level to them and will eventually overrun them completely. Perhaps not in the same style as the league match,but still I didn't see anything in the Ulster final that would give us cause for concern. The other semi should be a more competitive match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think Tyrone are much better than people give them credit for. It has taken a while for Dooher and Logan to get to grips with panel but now they have on their day will match anyone.

As a Dub I rate Dublin at less than 50/50 to make final unless Farrell can pull a rabbit from the hat. They are just not playing well enough. Mayo are much better than in previous years all over the pitch and have a much better bench to call on now. Without C O'C other have had to stand up and in fairness they have.

I had Kerry as favourites since last November and that has not changed. Were Kerry ever as hurt as in PUC last year? No. Kerry will use that to their advantage. I think it will be a Mayo v Kerry final and a kick of the ball will decide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Good to see Crokes battled to the finish in their first senior hurling game, more worrying to see Ballyheigue struggling, continuing a trend over the last number of championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I might be wrong but i think it's close to 10 years since they last won a championship game. I knpw they had gone 4/5 years without winning one a few years ago and don;t remember them winning one since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

if truth be told, had Dr Crokes drawn in a group with Ballyheigue you would have to fancy the Crokes to beat them looking at the weekends results.

Kilmoyley, Ballyduff, Lixnaw and Causeway are the top 4 teams in Kerry this long time and it looks like it’s going to stay that way for the future.

Its either Kilmoyley or Causeway for the championship this year, the rest are playing catch up, with some very young teams who will need time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Well Ballyheigue did beat them in the league. I think they're problem has always been keeping players. They tend to be stong up to U16 minor but then have a big drop off. If they can keep lads fome last years minor team it should be a help to them.

The main problem that's coming down the line for clubs in both codes is that players are going drop off at an earlier age then before, changing minor to u17 can only have a negative effect in the long term if there isn't an u19 or u20 competition in place, especially in the hurling.

Fintan O'Connor resigns as county hurling manager:

https://www.kerrygaa.ie/fintan-oconnor-ste/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just got a call from the man in my club looking after tickets and I'm sorted for 2 for the semi final.

They take email address and number of tickets needed. Croke Park send an email with a link to pay and you will have access to tickets then.

It will be a QR code so you can just show your phone at the turnstile and they scan it like that. I've done this for 2 previous games in croke park and have had absolutely no issues. It's a great aul system.

Bring it on now, something to look forward to in this poxy year!

Abbeydorney were missing a large number of starting players. Standard of hurling in the game was horrendous. Ballyheigue would beat both of them at present with ease. To be honest I don’t think Crokes should be playing senior championship this year and tonight’s 25 point plus hammering by Crotta in terrible conditions proved that. 3-23 to 1-4 with Crokes scoring once with a goal in second half even though a Crotta emptied the bench early.

As for the who are the best teams, I think Crotta could have a big say in this years championship. Causeway and Kilmoyley the obvious favourites but with players like O Mahoney,Nolan,O Connor , Donoghue and plenty of young players who have won at minor level, Crotta have to be in with a chance this year. They have an easy group and if they can get an anyway favourable quarter final/semi final draw I wouldn’t rule them out.

• Advertisement

Seems a significant chunk of the Tyrone squad is self-isolating due to an outbreak of Covid, so the game may not actually go ahead tomorrow week:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40354628.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Hearing from quite a decent source that there are 11 confirmed positive cases on the Tyrone squad and the rest are deemed close contacts and they dont expect the game to go ahead next weekend.

I dont know the rules around isolation and quarantine in the north but it would be cutting it very fine for a game to be fixed for the following weekend.

If it's as bad as I'm hearing, it's probably better to see Tyrone taken out of the championship like Sligo were last year. Playing a game so soon after contracting the virus poses a big risk of passing it on to opposition players which then puts a potential final at risk.

This causes a problem for the GAA but for Kerry as well. If the game dose not go ahead Kerry will have no game if it goes ahead next weekend Kerry will face a weakened Tyrone team the week after Tyrone will have virtually no training sessions as well as who ever gets through will only have a week to the all Ireland final

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah, it's a disaster all round and shows how lucky we have been to have had everything go so smoothly up to now. I know you cant kick Tyrone out but it's a bit of a nightmare for team and management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Moved to Sat 21st, AI Final is now going to be held on Saturday 4th September.

At least a Saturday evening final is one good thing to come out of a bad situation.

Hopefully this is just a bit of smoke blowing from the Tyrone camp. No semi final would be a disaster for all involved

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-have-fresh-doubts-over-new-all-ireland-semi-final-date-40734708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Tyrone have pulled out, Kerry should pull out as well, all in this together. No one left behind, we left them behind a 100 years ago now is our chance to make it up to them.

Wisest thing of all would be to remain silent and let events play out, keeping preparations as normal.

• Advertisement

Updated statement from the County Board, essentially saying that we're happy to accept a further delay, if that ensures the game gets played:

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1426946809696505863

Advertisement