Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Taylor365 wrote: »
    You can't buy US etfs anymore in EU, but some of us still hold them from years ago.

I was more thinking of it from Degiro’s perspective.

It is costing them time and money to hold those products and particularly to do the paperwork for the dividend tax reduction. But on the other hand they are making very little money with them as they are not available for purchase on the platform (i.e. they are only getting a little bit of transaction fees when people are selling - and I expect there are very few sales as people want to keep some those ETFs as they don’t trigger Ireland’s stupid “deemed disposal” tax rule).

So while I definitely get this would be annoying for people holding these ETFs, I can also see the rational for which they’d rather stop doing the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bob24 wrote: »
    I was more thinking of it from Degiro’s perspective.

It is costing them time and money to hold those products and particularly to do the paperwork for the dividend tax reduction. But on the other hand they are making very little money with them as they are not available for purchase on the platform (i.e. they are only getting a little bit of transaction fees when people are selling - and I expect there are very few sales as people want to keep some those ETFs as they don’t trigger Ireland’s stupid “deemed disposal” tax rule).

So while I definitely get this would be annoying for people holding these ETFs, I can also see the rational for which they’d rather stop doing the paperwork.

I agree on US ETFS, but that doesn't explain why they are not doing the dividend taxation for indivdual US stocks. RTX isn't on their list and its in the S&P500.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I recently had a stock split on one of my positions.

I am concerned though how my P&L is displayed for this position; I think it is incorrect the way it is currently stated.

Degiro seemed to have processed the stock split via buy and sell transaction. This has now skewed the P&L as the P&L is only showing the P&L as if I bought the position on the day the split was effective.

I think the P&L should have carried over regardless of the split.

Has anyone had a stock split on a different platform is so could you share how it is dealt with?

heffo500 wrote: »
    I recently had a stock split on one of my positions.

I am concerned though how my P&L is displayed for this position; I think it is incorrect the way it is currently stated.

Degiro seemed to have processed the stock split via buy and sell transaction. This has now skewed the P&L as the P&L is only showing the P&L as if I bought the position on the day the split was effective.

I think the P&L should have carried over regardless of the split.

Has anyone had a stock split on a different platform is so could you share how it is dealt with?
    Yes. Old position is gone. Check for a tab with Sold or old positions on your portfolio.

But, how could you forget mentally? I still have the old PL ingrained in my head! Damn you ACB!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Yes. Old position is gone. Check for a tab with Sold or old positions on your portfolio.

But, how could you forget mentally? I still have the old PL ingrained in my head! Damn you ACB!

Why should the P&L be crystallized though? I haven't closed the position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I agree on US ETFS, but that doesn't explain why they are not doing the dividend taxation for indivdual US stocks. RTX isn't on their list and its in the S&P500.

Just me speculating, but this looks like they are cutting some corners to save money, and they possibly picked what is on the list based on the ratio of how much money them make on fees with a stock vs how much it costs them to do the paperwork for the same stock.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Why should the P&L be crystallized though? I haven't closed the position.
    They have.

Maybe it's done different on other platforms but Degiro treats it as a sell and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Am I the only one who doesn't find DeGiro user friendly?

Used to use IG when was in the UK and layout and charts were a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Is anyone having issues signing in?
    Keeps saying incorrect code

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Scottie99 wrote: »

All good here.

• Advertisement

I've gone from 8037 on the sign up waiting list to 6277 blooming heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Scottie99 wrote: »

Yes me too both on the app and on the browser.

EDIT: I try now few hours later and its working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

conor_mc wrote: »
    All good here.

It's up and running. I was slightly worried for a second..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

varese.10 wrote: »
    Can I invest in the chinese stock market with degiro? I want to invest on alibaba and other chinese companies 
    Thank you

Alibaba trade on the NYSE too but you can invest in the Hong Kong listing too if you want via Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

How does degiro work when a company issues more shares to raise more capital in the form of a rights issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

This is really annoying me and I was hoping one of ye have figured it out. Is it possible to sell a nyse share holding but not have the proceeds converted to euro automatically on Degiro? Thinking of times where the euro is stronger than dollar and it may be better to hold out before a conversion. Thanks for any insight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

portcrap wrote: »
    This is really annoying me and I was hoping one of ye have figured it out. Is it possible to sell a nyse share holding but not have the proceeds converted to euro automatically on Degiro? Thinking of times where the euro is stronger than dollar and it may be better to hold out before a conversion. Thanks for any insight
    I've never used it, but there's a setting to do exchanges manually rather than automatic. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. Bottom left on the desktop, Settings -> Currency Handling
    Currency handling
    Every currency exchange is executed with AutoFX as standard. AutoFX will convert the exact amount of EUR into foreign currency at the time of execution. You can also conduct your own currency conversion manually and then decide for yourself exactly when and how much money you would like to exchange. Depending on the Order you gave for your local currency, you give DEGIRO a standing Order to invest your residual balance:
    of USD or GBP into Morgan Stanley Liquidity Funds or the FundShare Cash Funds.
    of other “Manual” currencies into the corresponding FundShare Cash Funds.
    For pricing information, see the Fee Schedule. More information about the Money Market Funds can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've never used it, but there's a setting to do exchanges manually rather than automatic. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. Bottom left on the desktop, Settings -> Currency Handling

Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

portcrap wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

If memory serves me correctly - manual currency conversion can be more expensive! Could be wrong but don't think I am.

Currency exchange by AutoFx Trader is at 0.10% while processing via Manual Trade cost is €10 + 0.02% - processed at time of execution.
    You can do the Mats on whether there is a limit at which the manual trade becomes better value.

Extract from DeGiro Portfolio Risk Handbook
    2.1.2 Cash balance
    The cash balance shows the balances of all cash accounts in pounds sterling. If you hold a cash
    balance in a foreign currency, this will be expressed in pounds sterling and settled with the other
    cash balances

That probably very much depends on the type of account you operate - i.e. a Trader Account I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

I have very different value on my portfolio on the mobile app V the website.

The mobile app, everyday i am down nearly 250 even as the markets are starting. The website shows me starting from near 0 just as the markets are starting. The Mobile app is down more through out the day.
    When i view portfolio tab, the unrealized profits on every share is different on the app compared to the desktop. Does anyone else get this issue?

• Advertisement

ShareShare wrote: »
    I have very different value on my portfolio on the mobile app V the website.

The mobile app, everyday i am down nearly 250 even as the markets are starting. The website shows me starting from near 0 just as the markets are starting. The Mobile app is down more through out the day.
    When i view portfolio tab, the unrealized profits on every share is different on the app compared to the desktop. Does anyone else get this issue?
    There's 2 options to see profits, when you click on them it flicks between total and daily profits. Not sure if that's affecting this.

DeGiro does some strange things on their Daily Gains values, if you setup your portfolio on Yahoo or Wallmine they will be in sync, but Degiro will be out. They seem to take different starting points for their Daily Gain, I'e tried taking screenshots to figure out where the difference is, but have never cracked it.

DeGiro also struggles with afterhours trading. For some reason it does change your portfolio value, but never reflects what is actually going on outside trading hours. I've seen mornings where Degiro tells me I'm €100 down, but the futures on Yahoo will (correctly) tell me I'm €100 up.

It's frustrating if you're watching things closely.

Yes very frustrating. I am now down 250ish euro on open.. yet ive only 3 euro stocks as it add ups to about 15 euros. The rest of the 'down' stocks are all US which obviously hasnt started. It's like this everyday. Often it can look like a red day, but if i check my totals at the end of the day, i am up significantly sometimes.

I'm wondering if that 'base' down amount is actually currency losses so, 0% changes in stock still result in a daily loss due to currency. This daily loss seems to be rolling each day like its fresh.

Yes very frustrating. I am now down 250ish euro on open.. yet ive only 3 euro stocks as it add ups to about 15 euros. The rest of the 'down' stocks are all US which obviously hasnt started. It's like this everyday. Often it can look like a red day, but if i check my totals at the end of the day, i am up significantly sometimes.

I'm wondering if that 'base' down amount is actually currency losses so, 0% changes in stock still result in a daily loss due to currency. This daily loss seems to be rolling each day like its fresh.
    Shouldn't be that much. My own theory is
    1. Degiro can't handle afterhours correctly, so it's fine until 9pm every night (say you're up €100 at 9pm), then goes a bit weird during the night (so might be down €50 by 3am).
    2. Degiro then tracks the "daily gain" from this completely wrong number so is always out of sync with other systems. The number in your Portfolio/Balance is correct at 5/6/9pm, but the gain/loss is a bit off I find.

Take a few screenshots during the day and track what you think you're up/down V what Degiro tells you and you'll see the difference.

Shouldn't be that much. My own theory is
    1. Degiro can't handle afterhours correctly, so it's fine until 9pm every night (say you're up €100 at 9pm), then goes a bit weird during the night (so might be down €50 by 3am).
    2. Degiro then tracks the "daily gain" from this completely wrong number so is always out of sync with other systems. The number in your Portfolio/Balance is correct at 5/6/9pm, but the gain/loss is a bit off I find.

Take a few screenshots during the day and track what you think you're up/down V what Degiro tells you and you'll see the difference.

Useful info. thanks for taking the time to write.
    Today was particularly unusual in that I went to bed 'down' last night UTC 10pm in daily total. Then woke up significant up in overall total but still down 250 in daily
    Today before market open, i was down 250 still on mobile, but nearly 0 on desktop website.
    Soon as market opened i was down on desktop by 250ish even though my 3 euro stocks were up.

It's a 34k portfolio so maybe the stuff you listed + currency fluctuations total up. Its super weird desktop and mobile display different.

Useful info. thanks for taking the time to write.
    Today was particularly unusual in that I went to bed 'down' last night UTC 10pm in daily total. Then woke up significant up in overall total but still down 250 in daily
    Today before market open, i was down 250 still on mobile, but nearly 0 on desktop website.
    Soon as market opened i was down on desktop by 250ish even though my 3 euro stocks were up.

It's a 34k portfolio so maybe the stuff you listed + currency fluctuations total up. Its super weird desktop and mobile display different.
    Well €250 over 34k is less than 1% so could be a margin of error, I'd say if the desktop/app is different it might be something in your laptop browser settings. Maybe move to Google Chome/Firefox whatever.

They reset the Daily Gain at 11pm Irish time each night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Question for ye about dividends on degiro. How long does it take for them to credit accounts with dividends?
    I was expecting them to credit my account with the fbd dividend but it hasn't shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Question for ye about dividends on degiro. How long does it take for them to credit accounts with dividends?
    I was expecting them to credit my account with the fbd dividend but it hasn't shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭sk8board

Well €250 over 34k is less than 1% so could be a margin of error, I'd say if the desktop/app is different it might be something in your laptop browser settings. Maybe move to Google Chome/Firefox whatever.

They reset the Daily Gain at 11pm Irish time each night

This may be related - are you on WiFi or 4G when the App prices don’t match?
    my app struggles to update the live pricing on 4G unless I leave it open on Portfolio for a few mins, versus an instant update on WiFi. They suggested I toggle on/off the 4G data option on my phone and TBH it seems to be quicker now, but still takes some waiting.

Also, if you click into each holding you can see near the bottom the precise time that the last live price was taken. Check if the app time is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

ganmo wrote: »

What was the payment date? I can't see FBD going ex div since last year so that may be the problem rather than it being specific to degiro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

Anyone any experience with their stock delisting on degiro and the process of getting their shares transferred to a broker which facilitates OTC? I've a small holding in luckin coffee where it is very possible it gets delisted from the nasdaq.

Advertisement