Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just looking at Ryanair's career site seems to be a big pilot recruitment drive for captains in Brazil going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is anybody at all going to buy a Ryanair ticket now for the next 6 weeks given that you have a 1 in 35 chance of it being cancelled with damn all notice to rearrange ?
    Surely not. Its just not worth the risk and potential loss due to knockon costs to your trip. Unless your schedule is totally flexible, you book with another airline, or postpone your trip.

This is the worst move I have ever seen Ryanair make - and thats from someone who thinks Ryanair are usually pretty on the button despite the whinges you hear about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do you think they will text those of us who have a flight pending.

Hope so.

Do you think they will text those of us who have a flight pending.

Hope so.

They say on their site that they will email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Is anybody at all going to buy a Ryanair ticket now for the next 6 weeks given that you have a 1 in 35 chance of it being cancelled with damn all notice to rearrange ?
    Surely not. Its just not worth the risk and potential loss due to knockon costs to your trip. Unless your schedule is totally flexible, you book with another airline, or postpone your trip.

This is the worst move I have ever seen Ryanair make - and thats from someone who thinks Ryanair are usually pretty on the button despite the whinges you hear about them.
    just did for 12.99. from one non base to another non base. Have to help them out in their time of need.

• Advertisement

737max wrote: »
    just did for 12.99. from one non base to another non base. Have to help them out in their time of need.

How much do you stand to lose though is the key (hotels, other costs, work arrangements, time off, or whatever). Maybe little in your case.
    The 12.99 is usually the least of the cost of a trip for most people.

I don't think you understand why I booked the flight. I'm laying an unconventional bet for sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mother in law flying home to Poland on Sunday. Hope the flight doesn't get cancelled:)

737max wrote: »
    I don't think you understand why I booked the flight. I'm laying an unconventional bet for sport.

I dont think I do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That's very interesting:
    https://ryanair.workable.com/

Note how that it's listing a whole batch of bases by name rather than the usual be assigned a base routine and a few of them specifically mention that they will be on full Ryanair direct employed contracts.

And there's an open day in Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I dont think I do.

Poster bought ticket hoping it cancelled so he can claim from RA for the cancellation. I thought his intention was clear from his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Paully D wrote: »
    I've been on the Friday night Newcastle -> Dublin flight (which also got cancelled) more times than I can remember and it has always been full (not sure if that comes into their thinking here).

Often been on that flight myself, however I don't think I've ever paid much over the ADP for that flight!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bsal wrote: »
    Just looking at Ryanair's career site seems to be a big pilot recruitment drive for captains in Brazil going on.

Bit of an economic crisis there, plenty of airlines, albeit very few 737 operators (although GOL is relatively big). Substantial population entitled to EU passports.

Plenty of qualified pilots although what terms they'll do a type rating under is pilot-specific. Self-paid will not attract many A320 drivers basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think I do.

He bought the flight, with no intention of taking it, in the hope that it is cancelled and he can claim more than the cost of the flight in compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I have flights booked for mid october, how much notice do they have to give me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This is where you end up when you mistreat your staff in a competitive market whilst asking for new recruits to pay €3000 for their own training.

how can Customer service even be sure that the alternate flights they wish to place disappointed passengers on to get to their destination will even depart as planned.
    if I wanted to fly to Ireland from Germany and the flight was cancelled they could offer me flight through Stansted or Charleoi but either of those legs could get canceled too.

My calculator tells me that there is up to €75m in E261 compensation waiting to be claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It's also an advertising gift for Ryanair's competitors this.

You can certainly be sure that Ryanair would be milking this if the show were on the other foot re Aer Lingus, BA, Lufthansa etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Vueling last year, Ryanair now and Easyjet have had problems this summer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

https://www.cloud.scorebuddy.co.uk/ryanair-services/cancellations.php?date=2017-09-15

Quite a few indeed.

Regarding the basing issues, DUB is one of their most populated bases, unless something has changed then the crew shortages are on the continent. Germany in particular have been short staffed on the captain side recently.

As for those asking what working for Ryanair is like as a pilot, I have only met those who actually like it. I got to know a Dublin based captain who wouldn't go anywhere else no matter what the cash. Now having said that, he would be near the top in terms of seniority etc so he had some say over his roster and his salary was well into the 6 figures too.

On the other hand though you have the 200hr cadets who simply use them as a stepping stone to go fly B777s in the middle east or try and get into their national carrier or a better paying one wherever they may be. I don't know any of my peers who went to RYR with the intention of staying much past 1500hrs, basically the point at which they become a bit more marketable.

RYR have only ever kept these guys on agency contracts and so there's no loyalty etc to the company, heck they don't even keep them fed. For comparison - easyJet provide free meals to all their crew.

Whilst this is of course terrible news for lots of passengers, I can say for sure that there are pilots out there secretly relieved that it has happened at last. Now let's hope things change. The arrogance of O'Leary towards his pilots goes to show what he thinks of them, maybe now he'll change.

Although something tells me the man will come out and blame EASA for having FTLs to begin with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Is there no legal requirement on Ryanair (or any airline) to honour booked flights even if it means leasing aircraft?

Can Ryanair just walk away from confirmed bookings because of an internal cock-up?

Do they not have to sign up to some legal commitments before they are granted a licence to operate an airline?

The alternatives they seem to be offering appear to be just dumping the problem back to the customer.

Somehow, I doubt if Aer Lingus would allow this to happen.

chinwag wrote: »
    Is there no legal requirement on Ryanair (or any airline) to honour booked flights even if it means leasing aircraft?

Can Ryanair just walk away from confirmed bookings because of an internal cock-up?

Do they not have to sign up to some legal commitments to before they are granted a licence to operate an airline?

The alternatives they seem to be offering appear to be just dumping the problem back to the customer.

Somehow, I doubt if Aer Lingus would allow this to happen.

They would and have. In some cases canceling when your in the airport even though they would know in advance. 2015 was a dire summer for them however they have gotten on top of things during summer 2016 and 2017.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They would and have. In some cases canceling when your in the airport even though they would know in advance. 2015 was a dire summer for them however they have gotten on top of things during summer 2016 and 2017.

This summer was a disaster for them too really, at one stage it looked like they'd more last minute leased aircraft flying the atlantic than their own

when an a320 broke down at christmas a few years ago for a flight I was on they replaced it with an a321 the next morning. They definitely would have had pissed off Customers who would have been on that a321 which would have been flying elsewhere.
    Aer lingus will do what is financially expedient too. There are no "good guys" in the aviation industry.

1123heavy wrote: »
    This summer was a disaster for them too really, at one stage it looked like they'd more last minute leased aircraft flying the atlantic than their own

Yes but not exactly within their control, the previous crewing problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BZ

I was due to fly to Nice from DUB on Tuesday and back again Thursday night. Return flight Thursday has been cancelled. Got a text message to urgently check my email regarding a cancellation on my trip. So they are texting people notifications aswell as email.

please find out about hotel for two days.
    Will they have to be forced to live up to their obligations?

the chickens have come home to roost is probably the most suitable statement to fit this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The tabloids state it's closer to '80' flights per day.

Sounds like someone forgot to print out the basic holiday excel spreadsheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

BZ wrote: »
    I was due to fly to Nice from DUB on Tuesday and back again Thursday night. Return flight Thursday has been cancelled. Got a text message to urgently check my email regarding a cancellation on my trip. So they are texting people notifications aswell as email.

I was off to leeds on that tuesday and my gates were literally next to nice before they announced it’s cancelled. It definitely wasn’t a group to fill in the plane, but i’d say at least 30-40 people walked off..

It a shame that some didn’t get any notice as it was an early morning (or they didn’t see) i would of been quite pissed off too... on the other hand i did finally managed to get a seat to finish my sandwich.. hehe

Advertisement