Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

20 minutes into the Limerick hurling final, a near riot, almost every player involved. One yellow card. Sympathy to the ref on his first final, but there should have been at least four reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Corofin walk the galway final

5 in a row, and will take stopping in all Ireland series

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Summerhill will play Simonstown in the Meath SFC Final. Summerhill beat Gaeil Colmcille 1-15 to 0-9. Gaeil Colmcille have now lost 3 semi finals in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In Kilkenny, The Village will play the 'Boro in a city derby final on October 29th.

There will be a cracking atmosphere at the match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

feargale wrote: »
    20 minutes into the Limerick hurling final, a near riot, almost every player involved. One yellow card. Sympathy to the ref on his first final, but there should have been at least four reds.

Which 4 players would you have sent off.?
    Remember he doesn't have the birds eye view you have on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hmmm..... it's nice to know it's not just 'Galway' where the clubs knock lumps outta each other.

washman3 wrote: »
    Which 4 players would you have sent off.?
    Remember he doesn't have the birds eye view you have on TV.

Those were my thoughts too. I take your point entirely. Remember I said sympathy to the ref.

However I would like to see it again as I think a lineman was close to alot of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Donegal County final between Kilcar and Naomh Conaill must rank as one of the worst football matches of all time.One point each in the second half,due to the horrendous defensive system adopted by both sides.The GAA hierarchy in Croke Park must be blind or don't have the balls to do anything about the destruction of Gaelic Football.Ulster in particular is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Donegal County final between Kilcar and Naomh Conaill must rank as one of the worst football matches of all time.One point each in the second half,due to the horrendous defensive system adopted by both sides.The GAA hierarchy in Croke Park must be blind or don't have the balls to do anything about the destruction of Gaelic Football.Ulster in particular is a disgrace.

Dublin championship has had similar. What these teams neglect is that they do not have the Murphys and McFaddens and McBreartys and Mulligans and O'Neills to turn defence into attack. Judes against Vincents was similar example of almost totally negative team. Only got turned over when they had two players, deservedly, put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway senior hurling championship down to the quarter-finals.

Craughwell Vs Portumna
    Liam Mellows Vs Clarinbridge
    Gort Vs Killimordaly
    Sarsfields Vs Cappataggle

Interesting that only 3 players are left in the championship from the Galway team and subs that got on the pitch in the All-Ireland final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ballyduff are Kerry Senior Hurling Champions for 2017,they defeated Lixnaw yesterday in the replay,fully deserved the win,goals at vital times got them over the line,former Kerry hurler Aidan Boyle was MOTM scoring 3-1 and had a hand in a number of other scores,setting up his brother Mikey for a goal in the second half.

The Boyle brothers scored 4-7 of Ballyduff's final score of 4-13

Final score was Ballyduff 4-13 Lixnaw 1-19

Ballyduff now play the winners of Kanturk of Cork or St Marys of Tipp in the Munster Intermediate Club Semi Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

In Kilkenny, The Village will play the 'Boro in a city derby final on October 29th.

There will be a cracking atmosphere at the match

All City final in Waterford too, Ballygunner v De La Salle next Sunday 22nd October. Ballygunner were lucky to edge past Lismore while DLS beat Passage by a point, with both the Gunners and DLS getting their winning scores in injury time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not just Ulster football at all at club level. Almost every club game I go to has at least one or both teams employing a ultra defensive system. You still get good games sometimes and sometimes you get stinkers like what you seen in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Galway senior hurling championship down to the quarter-finals.

Craughwell Vs Portumna
    Liam Mellows Vs Clarinbridge
    Gort Vs Killimordaly
    Sarsfields Vs Cappataggle

Interesting that only 3 players are left in the championship from the Galway team and subs that got on the pitch in the All-Ireland final.

Anyone see the Clarenbridge v Tommie Larkins game at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

https://twitter.com/DonalUiNeill/status/919891054966558721

Great idea by Killeavy,On the back of their jerseys, within the number of each jersey the name of all club members are imprinted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Kilanerin won the Wexford Intermediate football title after a gruelling extra-time win over HWH Bunclody. I felt it was always going to be a tight game, and it certainly lived up to the billing. It was level at HT, before Matty Forde turned on the style with a quick 1-2 after the break. Bunclody showed incredible heart to keep plugging away, but were helped by two rather fortunate goals to force extra-time in the end. Ultimately though, Kilanerin's greater experience told in the end as they accounted for the last three points of the game to win by two points and return to senior after a three-year absence.

St.Martin's defeated Shelmaliers comfortably in the senior football semi final replay afterwards. These two would be district rivals and wouldn't necessarily like each other, but that doesn't excuse the bog standard fare they produced. Shelmaliers in particularly seemed to be too preoccupied at trying to "rattle" the Martin's instead of doing damage in their own right. They scored one goal and were denied another from an instinctive save from two similar moves in the first quarter, and were well in the game until indiscipline and unforced errors spoiled their chances.

They were responsible for one of the silliest yellow cards you are likely to see at half-time, when a player who was booked just before the break for some reason thought it wise to get involved in a brief flare-up between two other players and was rightly shown a second yellow. Some sloppy mistakes directly resulted in at least three Martin's points in the first half, and Martin's goal early on was entirely avoidable as well. Shels' proceeded to miss three scoreable frees in the second half (including a gimme right in front of the goal), and only managed to score a further 1-1, as Martin's pulled away 1-14 to 2-4 winners.

It's crazy, Martin's haven't had a free weekend flitting between both codes since August, and yet looked the fitter team on Sunday. They have the senior hurling final vs kingpins Oulart on Sunday, with my preview of the game to follow at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Clare senior hurling final was a draw. Clooney led for most of the game but Sixmilebridge took the lead in injury time. Fergal Lynch won a free right at the death and Peter Duggan scored it to send it to a replay (next Sunday as far as I know). Very good game and more of the same I'd say for the replay - won't be much in it.

The two football semi finals went against most people's predictions with Kilmurray beating Cratloe by a point after extra time and Clondegad beating Miltown well for a finish to set up the county final which will be next Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo county football final on Sunday.

Castlebar Mitchels v Ballintubber.

Live coverage on GAA Beo,TG4 tomorrow.

Waterford Hurling Final (Live) @ 2.30

Ballygunner v De La Salle

Kerry Football Final (Deferred) @ 4.30

South Kerry v Dr. Crokes, Killarney

In the Leinster club IFC between O'Connell's of Louth and Kilbride of Carlow, there were ten red cards supposedly. Kilbride ended with 9 men, O'Connell's finished with 11.

• Advertisement

In the Leinster club IFC between O'Connell's of Louth and Kilbride of Carlow, there were ten red cards supposedly. Kilbride ended with 9 men, O'Connell's finished with 11.

Surely that has to be some kind of record!!

seligehgit wrote: »
    Surely that has to be some kind of record!!
    Looking on Twitter, both sides were baffled by the referee's decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is there a maximum number of red cards that a team can receive before a match is forfeited?

I was listening to that game on the radio and it was comedic at times. The ref also sent a Kilbride selector and water-boy off the sideline!

Commentator put it best when he said the ref has simply lost the plot. Wasn't even a dirty game

I'm just wondering, suppose the game went to extra time and nobody was left on the field except the ref. Would spectators be entitled to a proportionate refund?

P.S. He was dead right to expel the maor uisce. That's the only way to sort out unruly players, dehydrate them into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I'm just wondering, suppose the game went to extra time and nobody was left on the field except the ref. Would spectators be entitled to a proportionate refund?

Extra time is considered a new game so sent off players can be replaced by subs.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Extra time is considered a new game so sent off players can be replaced by subs.

Yes, I forgot about that. But would there be enough subs?

Supposedly Kilbride only had 19 players on the panel.

Seriously, barring a few mass brawls I think the referee obviously completely lost the plot if he sends 10 separate players off.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Is there a maximum number of red cards that a team can receive before a match is forfeited?

No I don't think it's like fifa where you must forfeit when you only have 6 left 😀I think you stay going until one player is just taking the kickouts to nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Supposedly Kilbride only had 19 players on the panel.

Seriously, barring a few mass brawls I think the referee obviously completely lost the plot if he sends 10 separate players off.

Most refs have a bit of cop on. Which is why black card is not seriously implemented at club level where teams can barely field 15. Sendings off should be reserved for actual physical violence or intent.

• Advertisement

Leinster in general was a bit of a war zone today. This was at the Crossabeg/Ballymurn v Man O War Leinster JFC game in Enniscorthy today.

My personal favourite part was the Man O War waterboy in the hi-vis jacket flinging a water bottle only to instantly regret it.

Advertisement