Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

By all accounts Nemo should have won by more. All Ireland hang over for Crokes?

Lenister semi final results.

Rathnew 2-07 Moorefield 2-13
    St Loman's 0-13 Simonstown Gaels 1-08

Moorefields comfortably win makes that St Vincents shock defeat all the more surprising now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Going to be a cracking game in the Intermediate Club Championship Semi Final.

An Gaeltacht vs Moy

Some serious talent on both sides. It's a pity its not the final. Both sides in Croke Park would have made for a great spectacle.

Hope it doesn't go the way of some previous Kerry v Tyrone club games. Some infamous incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Patww79 wrote: »
    When is the Leinster IHC final? Very difficult to find fixtures for anything other than senior.

It's on next Sunday. The HS fixtures are usually pretty good http://www.hoganstand.com/Fixtures/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Any chance TG4 have GAA Beo on demand, or will be reshowing the games from today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vincent's and Crokes gone in successive weekends certainly opens it up although you'd still have to make Slaughtneil favourites.

Corofin will be dangerous though if they get to Croke Park as their foot passing is so good. Think it would suit them. They'll be favoured to get there having to play the London and Leinster champions. Nemo announced themselves today too. Should be a good semi-final against Slaughtneil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

DDC1990 wrote: »

An Gaeltacht vs Moy

Some serious talent on both sides. It's a pity its not the final. Both sides in Croke Park would have made for a great spectacle.

Hope it doesn't go the way of some previous Kerry v Tyrone club games. Some infamous incidents.

When Tyrone meets Kerry what else would expect only gutter tactics from the Northerners. Some old Biddy hitting Declan O'Sullivan with a handbag was standout moment, eye gouging the Gooch, Ricey grabbing Galvin's balls the list is nearly endless. Hope An Gaeltacht buries them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

titan18 wrote: »
    Any chance TG4 have GAA Beo on demand, or will be reshowing the games from today?

It's normally on the TG4 player. I've rewatched gaa beo before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

DDC1990 wrote: »

An Gaeltacht vs Moy

Moy won the Ulster final 0-9 to 0-8 today. Micheal Glaveys beat the Galway and Mayo champions scoring 3-33 i think its fair to say the most attacking/high scoring final would be Glaveys v An Gaeltacht

Well done to Corofin on their deserved win, really should have won it in normal time but seemed to nod off in the final few minutes of normal time. Comfortable in extra time and could even afford to miss a penalty.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's normally on the TG4 player. I've rewatched gaa beo before.

Hopefully, Corofin vs Castlebar is up there now, but Nemo one is missing. Friend of mine plays for Nemo so want to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Nice to see Nemo Rangers dining at the top table again....were in the doldrums for a long time.Slaughtneil have earned favourites tag as that was a very good team they beat today.

Nice to see Nemo Rangers dining at the top table again....were in the doldrums for a long time.Slaughtneil have earned favourites tag as that was a very good team they beat today.

Ah, they weren't really in doldrums, just getting out of Cork can be hard enough, and then you were getting Kerry teams in Munster, and Clonmel beat them in Munster final 2 years ago.

Good win for them today though, Slaughtneil will have the hurling semi the week before so Nemo might have a bit more of a shot with that. Hopefully anyway, colleague is Nemo's captain, and I went to school with a lot of the team so be nice to see them in an all Ireland final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Has to Gooch put on a few pounds? He looked like he had wintered well as they say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

too many testimonial dinners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Has to Gooch put on a few pounds? He looked like he had wintered well as they say!!!

He will be 35 years of age next birthday.
    Holds 5 A.I. senior medals and 8 All-Stars.
    With Crokes he has won 7 Kerry County championships, 5 Munster Club and 1 A.I club.
    Probably the best 'one trick' corner forward we have seen in 40 years.
    I would think that at this stage he is perfectly entitled to 'winter well' ;)

P.S. I have omitted his 9 Munster and 4 League titles as they hardly rate these competitions down in Kerry.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

By all accounts Nemo should have won by more. All Ireland hang over for Crokes?

Lenister semi final results.

Rathnew 2-07 Moorefield 2-13
    St Loman's 0-13 Simonstown Gaels 1-08

Moorefields comfortably win makes that St Vincents shock defeat all the more surprising now.

Luke Dempsey doing great work with Lomans, impressive getting them to a Leinster final where they play a former club of his Moorefield who he did well with too.
    Very underrated manager over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

washman3 wrote: »
    With Crokes he has won 7 Kerry County championships, 5 Munster Club and 1 A.I club.

P.S. I have omitted his 9 Munster and 4 League titles as they hardly rate these competitions down in Kerry.:P

Given that Kerry are sitting on their joint worst All Ireland record for a decade since they first won an All Ireland I'd say the League & Munster might be gaining in currency down there in the coming years.

P.S. Cooper's huge contribution to the winning of his fifth medal surely entitles him to get fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Stevecw wrote: »
    Luke Dempsey doing great work with Lomans, impressive getting them to a Leinster final where they play a former club of his Moorefield who he did well with too.
    Very underrated manager over the years.

Hear hear.

Always seems to get a bit of improvement out of teams.

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »

Cheers for the history lesson. Must be the rich gravy at the testimonial dinner did it then😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd never call Cooper a one trick corner forward. He had everything. Points, goals, frees with both feet.

I've just lost respect for a great player by his antics of special testimonial dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

titan18 wrote: »
    Hopefully, Corofin vs Castlebar is up there now, but Nemo one is missing. Friend of mine plays for Nemo so want to see that

There is a gaa channel.on YouTube. Tallow man gaa I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully Ardmore add more club misery for Brendan Cummins on Sunday when they play Ballybacon/Grange in the Munster Junior Hurling final. blast from the past with Cummins facing the Prendergast brothers Seamus and Declan

I remember I was so sick of seeing they AIB ad a few years ago with Cummins talking about losing a club final or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hopefully Ardmore add more club misery for Brendan Cummins on Sunday when they play Ballybacon/Grange in the Munster Junior Hurling final. blast from the past with Cummins facing the Prendergast brothers Seamus and Declan

I remember I was so sick of seeing they AIB ad a few years ago with Cummins talking about losing a club final or something

It was a fierce annoying add, and made all the more annoying by the fact that Cummins had never played club championship outside of Tipp. Ballybacon were a run of the mill Intermediate team during his career and won a number of divisional titles but never came close to winning a county title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Doltanian wrote: »
    When Tyrone meets Kerry what else would expect only gutter tactics from the Northerners. Some old Biddy hitting Declan O'Sullivan with a handbag was standout moment, eye gouging the Gooch, Ricey grabbing Galvin's balls the list is nearly endless. Hope An Gaeltacht buries them.
    There’s a fair chance they will, after all An Ghaeltacht finished second in Division 1 of the Kerry SENIOR league yet are fielding at intermediate level.

You simply don’t get those sort of discrepancies in Ulster counties, where teams who are good enough to mix it with the big boys in Division 1 football actually play SENIOR football championship and don’t drop down to intermediate for an easy county title and All Ireland tilt.

Just for comparison - the team that finished second in Division 1 of the Derry SENIOR leagues is the 3 in a row and current Ulster club SENIOR champions Slaughtneil.

Here’s hoping the 23rd best team in Tyrone can put it up to the “intermediate champions” from Kerry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

armaghlad wrote: »
    There’s a fair chance they will, after all An Ghaeltacht finished second in Division 1 of the Kerry SENIOR league yet are fielding at intermediate level.

Now there's gutter tactics for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

That KK full back is going to regret wintering so well after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The state of the FB marking con o Callaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Game over already.

Cuala on a different planet to the Offaly side.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Glebee

That looked very soft. No protest from kilcormoc though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Clearly pulled the faceguard, think that's an automatic red?

It looked like a pull across the shins when there was no ball there that got him red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It was a definite red. You could see him on the replay lining him up when the ball was gone. Should also have been red for strike on head of Seán Treacy and no 9 should also have walked.

I think they allowed their heads to be turned by notion that Cuala might be horsed out of it :-)

Semi final should be some game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm sorry that Glenealy didn't do the business yesterday. A win would have been great for Wicklow hurling. However, their sterling performance can't do Wicklow any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Congrts to Cuala better team on the day.
    The send off was for interfering with the helment acording to the ref.
    Cuala are a class act but the Ref today had his head turn by the media around Cuala,
    Cuala number 12 took the Helment off K-K wing back which the ref saw and let Cuala play on and get a score that was a few mins before the sending off.
    He came back and warned the Cuala player Clear red. He let the Cuala backs hold the K-K lad down under the dropping ball while given Free for the same thing at the other end.
    K-K players were been pull back, had the hurling held and at least 4 time had there helment removed and nothing done.
    Cuala didn't need any help but by jesus they got it.
    Cleere has a history with Offaly teams.
    No problem Ref making mistake, its an impossable job but consistency is what i'm look for.
    Today Cleere was so far from that it was hard to believe he didn't have money on Cuala.

Best of luck to Cuala but if they get Ref like they did today, They win the fecking World Cup in the Summer not just the Club championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well, Cleere let a player away with clattering Seán Treacy over the head. Full back should take up mixed martial arts. Callaghan made a holy show of him.

Days are gone when the "soft Dubs" are going to be beaten by that kind of sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Patww79 wrote: »
    Jaysus I was just going to say to expect one like the above before too long. I wasn't expecting it so early and I wasn't expecting such a clinker of a post. All on a dodgy ref too, not a mention of funding or population. Interesting new angle.

Realistically, Cuala were going to win regardless, and you may point out that I’m from Offaly, which I am, but the ref rode KK, and I hate them.
    Toxicity is right on the inconsistency. It fecked up the game. I think that Cuala would have won regardless, but the performance of the ref was deplorable. Nothing personal.

KK, in my opinion are going to have to blood in players to replace the Healions. They won’t win Offaly for a couple of years.
    It’ll be between St Rynaghs, Birr(if the get their sh*t in gear), Seir Kieran and Belmont.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You simply don’t get those sort of discrepancies in Ulster counties, where teams who are good enough to mix it with the big boys in Division 1 football actually play SENIOR football championship and don’t drop down to intermediate for an easy county title and All Ireland tilt.

Just for comparison - the team that finished second in Division 1 of the Derry SENIOR leagues is the 3 in a row and current Ulster club SENIOR champions Slaughtneil.

Here’s hoping the 23rd best team in Tyrone can put it up to the “intermediate champions” from Kerry...

you do know in most other counties that league and championship are 2 totally different competitions and are not interlinked at all. And you cant "drop down to intermediate" on a whim. It was the same last year when Glenbeigh-Glencar beat The Rock and there was loads on whinging that they were a division 1 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

bruschi wrote: »
    you do know in most other counties that league and championship are 2 totally different competitions and are not interlinked at all. And you cant "drop down to intermediate" on a whim. It was the same last year when Glenbeigh-Glencar beat The Rock and there was loads on whinging that they were a division 1 team.

I started to reply to that comment but gave up. Thanks for sparing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Congrts to Cuala better team on the day.
    The send off was for interfering with the helment acording to the ref.
    Cuala are a class act but the Ref today had his head turn by the media around Cuala,
    Cuala number 12 took the Helment off K-K wing back which the ref saw and let Cuala play on and get a score that was a few mins before the sending off.
    He came back and warned the Cuala player Clear red. He let the Cuala backs hold the K-K lad down under the dropping ball while given Free for the same thing at the other end.
    K-K players were been pull back, had the hurling held and at least 4 time had there helment removed and nothing done.
    Cuala didn't need any help but by jesus they got it.
    Cleere has a history with Offaly teams.
    No problem Ref making mistake, its an impossable job but consistency is what i'm look for.
    Today Cleere was so far from that it was hard to believe he didn't have money on Cuala.

Best of luck to Cuala but if they get Ref like they did today, They win the fecking World Cup in the Summer not just the Club championship.

Ref was poor for both teams. Thought the red card was harsh though he bottled sending off Slevin in first half and let KK away with a lot of dirty belts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Learn a bit about the game before you get your excuses in.
    An Ghaeltacht are nowhere near the second best team in Kerry, they struggled to win the intermediate title even.

I’m well aware of that. It just makes a mockery of the club competition when it goes to the National stage. Kerry aren’t the only county who are set up this way mind you. I just find it silly that a club that is second only to the current AI club champions ply their trade at intermediate.

Oh and the Rock are back playing Junior football for next year because they weren’t good enough for intermediate. If Tyrone adopted the Kerry system this year, An Ghaeltacht would be facing someone like Carrickmore, the most successful senior club in Tyrone.

I’m well aware of that. It just makes a mockery of the club competition when it goes to the National stage. Kerry aren’t the only county who are set up this way mind you. I just find it silly that a club that is second only to the current AI club champions ply their trade at intermediate.

Oh and the Rock are back playing Junior football for next year because they weren’t good enough for intermediate. If Tyrone adopted the Kerry system this year, An Ghaeltacht would be facing someone like Carrickmore, the most successful senior club in Tyrone.

you really dont get it do you? League has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Championship. Pretty much every county outside of ulster operate this way, but for some reason its the Ulster counties who get annoyed with Kerry clubs when this arises.

Kilanerin from Wexford will be the Leinster reps in the same intermediate competition. I couldnt even tell you what division they play in Wexford. One year, our junior B team (clubs second team) ended up in the same division as what turned out to be that years senior champions. We had a great run and put a lot of emphasis in blooding through young players on the B team for the league. And on the flipside, the senior champions put no emphasis on the league as they had county players missing so they got relegated a few divisions.

edit: I looked it up. Kilanerin played Division 1 in Wexford. They finished 2nd in their group. There are also some other intermediate teams that played Division 1, one of them nearly ended up getting relegated from intermediate this year. And there are senior teams in Division 2 with some junior teams. Leagues mean nothing and have no bearing or relevance to championship here. None whatsoever.

you really dont get it do you? League has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Championship. Pretty much every county outside of ulster operate this way, but for some reason its the Ulster counties who get annoyed with Kerry clubs when this arises.

Kilanerin from Wexford will be the Leinster reps in the same intermediate competition. I couldnt even tell you what division they play in Wexford. One year, our junior B team (clubs second team) ended up in the same division as what turned out to be that years senior champions. We had a great run and put a lot of emphasis in blooding through young players on the B team for the league. And on the flipside, the senior champions put no emphasis on the league as they had county players missing so they got relegated a few divisions.

edit: I looked it up. Kilanerin played Division 1 in Wexford. They finished 2nd in their group. There are also some other intermediate teams that played Division 1, one of them nearly ended up getting relegated from intermediate this year. And there are senior teams in Division 2 with some junior teams. Leagues mean nothing and have no bearing or relevance to championship here. None whatsoever.
    I dunno. Maybe we are insane in Ulster, grading our leagues in accordance to ability. Again I just find it slightly ridiculous that a club second in the league only to the AI club senior champions should be playing in an intermediate competition...

I dunno. Maybe we are insane in Ulster, grading our leagues in accordance to ability. Again I just find it slightly ridiculous that a club second in the league only to the AI club senior champions should be playing in an intermediate competition...

no, you use leagues to form part of the championship. That is the difference.

If Kerry or the rest of the country used leagues to form the championship then you wouldnt have such lopsided leagues where the majority of clubs play leagues without county players and that they would take leagues seriously rather than what they currently are as warm up games for championship.

you do also know that many of the senior teams in the Kerry championship dont participate in the league too, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Armaghlad - just a bit of info for you.

An Ghaeltacht were playing in Division 3 in the county league in 2015. The managed to get promoted via a play-off after winning the last 4 games in the league to finish joint 3rd. In fact in 2014, it looked like they could get relegated to Div 4 but pulled a few results out in the last two rounds.

They went on and won Div 2 in 2016. Last October they were beaten in the Intermediate semi final by Templenoe who won the Junior AI the February before. An Ghaeltacht have had a great year in 2017. Their major advantage is that they didn't have any Kerry minors or seniors this year and none of their main lads went to America so they had a full hand to play with all year in all league games.

Not sure what your problem is TBH.

Advertisement